Boarding for Senior Cruisers!

nurseingu

Hello all,

My parents are 75 & 80 and will be on their first cruise with me May 15th. Is there a possibility that they could Boars dirt with the VIPs and special need passengers because of their age? Just wondering......

Karen

Not if they do not need special assistance due to mobility issues etc. There is no special treatment just because there are a certain age but special needs of course!

Unless they have some physical disability, they shouldn't need special consideration. The boarding process isn't like on airplanes....it's more like checking into a hotel....so, they'll check in, and board!

If they need wheelchair assistance, the ship will help with that.

.....just wondering. Since they're a bit slower than everyone else but don't require assisting devices I was just wondering. May need to call Carnival on this one.......just don't want them to hold up other passengers.

Karen

My goodness. So now there should be priority boarding for we seniors? Sure, if they have some type of disability that requires special handling then they should be accomodated. But otherwise, they should be with the rest of us :). For what its worth DW and I will soon be going on a very long HA cruise where we expect all the passengers to be seniors and at least half will be parents of seniors.

In a related "senior" issue I recall being on a Princess cruise and patiently waiting in line for ice cream one afternoon. Suddenly, an elderly lady just cut right in front of me (and the 10 or so folks behind me) and said, "I am old so its ok."

.....just wondering. Since they're a bit slower than everyone else but don't require assisting devices I was just wondering. May need to call Carnival on this one.......just don't want them to hold up other passengers.

Then a very good solution is to have them board last.

I agree with that. I don't need assistance or special boarding, but I've had a hip replacement and it can bother me when I have to walk slowly. Weird, but true. When I boarded the Noordam in November 2010, the gangway was quite steep and I was priority boarded following several older passengers with canes. It was a very difficult climb for me following them slowly uphill while dragging my rollaboard and backpack. I didn't realize how slowly they were walking until I came up on them halfway up. I'm polite and waited, but it would have been much easier to not be put in that position. There also was a big line behind me and then a bottleneck at the door. It would have been better if the staff had held us back until the others were at the top of the gangway.

Then a very good solution is to have them board last.

You read my mind.....:D we had a group of 8(ages 60-6 with 2 children and we waited for the biggest crowd of our number to get in line then meandered up behind them all and it worked out perfect.... no one was held up by the fascination of the boys and we were not pushed or shoved about.... the only hold up we found was when we were actually entering the ship and they offered mimosas/champagne the older people wanted to drink it right there so they didn't have carry the glass and no one could get past them all to move on. :( Is a glass that heavy???:eek:

Call the cruise line. My mom is not "old" old but she is getting up there. Although she gets around very well and takes a long walk every day, she can't stand for long periods without hurting her back. Princess had a wheelchair waiting for her and that took care of the problem (plus I was able to pile all of my random carrying bags onto her lap:D).

Not long off Oriana. Embarkation is not a problem, as has already been said, its more like booking into a hotel, When we walked along the corridors on to the ship there were no crowds at all.

In truth, if seniors were allowed priority boarding there would have been an almighty scramble as well over half the passengers were senior.

I appreciate there could be a queue when boarding after a port visit. We, and others, often had buggies or wheelchairs in front of us, but hey we were all on holiday and I didn't hear one complaint. Mind you, we were nearly run over on ship by buggies many times.

Let them just go, take their time when needed, and I hope they have a great time.

Karen

They will not hold anybody up. They will do everything with their own speed. Their suitcases will be taken and delivered to the cabin. There will be a line to go through security - same as in the airport.

After that, another line for check-in, and there will be a few dozen employees checking passengers in - they can spend as much time at the counter as they need not holding anybody up.

After that, with the group number, they will find a seat and wait for the number to be called. There will be a restroom if they need it. When the number called, they can take all the time they need walking on the ship.

They are not the first, and not the only slow people.

I can only speak of boarding in Seattle, but once we got past the photogrphers, it was a wide, open area to head down to the ship. We even stopped & snapped a couple pictures. Some people coming behind us grabbed our pic w/ the ship in the background, and we did the same for them. No cattle-car experience, and we could take all the time needed.

On many ships the majority of passengers are seniors. If I had my choice, children who are able to walk would go last. This would be a good lesson in respect. However, this is not how things work on ships. Have to agree that it is first come, first served. On excursion buses, walkers and wheelchairs typically go last so they do not hold up the entire bus.

On many ships the majority of passengers are seniors. If I had my choice, children who are able to walk would go last. This would be a good lesson in respect. However, this is not how things work on ships. Have to agree that it is first come, first served. On excursion buses, walkers and wheelchairs typically go last so they do not hold up the entire bus.

Children should go last? Why? Are they second class citizens or something? It's not how it works anywhere. Children are not less important then anyone else. What about children that are Elite passengers? They should wait for a first timer just because they are an adult. You do realize that they pay the same fare as an adult, right? What makes you more special then them? Respect for others is a two way street. I taught my children and am now teaching my grandchildren respect "for your elders" but when I see an older person being nasty to a young person, just because they are young... well then the gloves are off. We learn what we live. You disrespect and you deserve no respect in return.

Children should go last? Why? Are they second class citizens or something? It's not how it works anywhere. Children are not less important then anyone else. What about children that are Elite passengers? They should wait for a first timer just because they are an adult. You do realize that they pay the same fare as an adult, right? What makes you more special then them? Respect for others is a two way street. I taught my children and am now teaching my grandchildren respect "for your elders" but when I see an older person being nasty to a young person, just because they are young... well then the gloves are off. We learn what we live. You disrespect and you deserve no respect in return.

Think you over-reacted to my post. Most children do not have difficulty walking up the stairs to the ship. I was making reference to the fact that it would be nice to allow elderly, slower moving passengers the option of boarding before you (not necessarily putting children at the back of the entire line). BTW, I was not speaking of myself -- we do allow people who need more time to climb the stairs to go ahead of us. I suppose if you feel so "Elite", you and your children should go first:confused:

P.S. I thought this board was for first time cruisers.

Think you over-reacted to my post. Most children do not have difficulty walking up the stairs to the ship. I was making reference to the fact that it would be nice to allow elderly, slower moving passengers the option of boarding before you (not necessarily putting children at the back of the entire line). BTW, I was not speaking of myself -- we do allow people who need more time to climb the stairs to go ahead of us. I suppose if you feel so "Elite", you and your children should go first:confused:

P.S. I thought this board was for first time cruisers.

First I didn't say my children are Elite (although my adult children are) - I said what if the children WERE Elite that would give them the benefit of priority boarding. Are the parents supposed to give up their benefits because a first time cruiser has walking issues? Entitlement goes both ways. Just because you walk slower doesn't mean you should get to go to the front of the class, nor does it mean you should be rushed when you are walking. My 80 YO mother is handicapped and walks slow also and I can't imagine her telling others they have to sit down and wait for her when they were there first.

I was responding to your comment "If I had my choice, children who are able to walk would go last." I just don't understand why you think because children can walk they need to go to the back of the line. Why can't they take their turn like everyone else?

Yes, this is the first time cruiser board.... I'm not sure about your sarcasm on this point. It's not like YOU are a first timer, nor am I. It is supposed to be about giving advise to first timers and quite a few of us have stated that there are a lot of older people with difficulties that need extra time. That even on some cruises it would be hard to find ones that don't or aren't seniors. Common courtesy would be to not expect preferential treatment but to wait your turn like everyone else.

Having children go first will teach some people due respect for the young. It may also allow them to experience what it means to be less selfish and to not inconvenience others. On a really lucky day this may also allow some people to realise that there are profound differences in expectations of behavior between generations.

Gen X and younger people very commonly want to treat everybody as being the same. Things were different for those from the silent and boomer generations. If you mix demographics altogether on a cruise ship then there will be some tension inevitably - each group wants to live a slightly (or even significantly) different type of life. Getting on requires tolerance of alternative viewpoints even when they seem silly or even offensive.

Cruise lines entirely adequately cater for the boarding of all ages and mobilities of passengers. Nothing special is needed beyond what it already done.

Karen

Not sure about Carnival, but some of the cruise lines suggest checkin at or about 1PM to avoid crowds ... assuming the sailing is 4 or 5PM.

Perhaps checking in early, early afternoon would be helpful to your folks.

Not sure about Carnival, but some of the cruise lines suggest checkin at or about 1PM to avoid crowds ... assuming the sailing is 4 or 5PM.

Perhaps checking in early, early afternoon would be helpful to your folks.

That's what I do even though I move quicker than most. I just absolutely HATE starting a vacation standing in line.

First I didn't say my children are Elite (although my adult children are) - I said what if the children WERE Elite that would give them the benefit of priority boarding. Are the parents supposed to give up their benefits because a first time cruiser has walking issues? Entitlement goes both ways. Just because you walk slower doesn't mean you should get to go to the front of the class, nor does it mean you should be rushed when you are walking. My 80 YO mother is handicapped and walks slow also and I can't imagine her telling others they have to sit down and wait for her when they were there first.

I was responding to your comment "If I had my choice, children who are able to walk would go last." I just don't understand why you think because children can walk they need to go to the back of the line. Why can't they take their turn like everyone else?

Yes, this is the first time cruiser board.... I'm not sure about your sarcasm on this point. It's not like YOU are a first timer, nor am I. It is supposed to be about giving advise to first timers and quite a few of us have stated that there are a lot of older people with difficulties that need extra time. That even on some cruises it would be hard to find ones that don't or aren't seniors. Common courtesy would be to not expect preferential treatment but to wait your turn like everyone else.

If I were a first-time cruiser and I saw a poster jump down someone's throat like you did, I would think twice about cruising. It's perfectly all right to not agree with what someone says, but you went a little bit over the top.

Archived