Staggered Boarding??

Retired 07

It seems as though Princess is trying to create a solution for a problem that really doesn't exist. I may be a relative neophyte in comparison with only 23 cruises under my belt but I remember only one harrowing embarkation in San Juan with Royal Caribbean where some waited for hours in the broiling sun to board. Since that time, we never waited more than an hour from arrival to being in the Lido for lunch. There is always the initial rush to board but this quickly subsides. As I stated before, it is a lot to expect sleep-deprived transoceanic passengers to stand for hours outdoors before their scheduled boarding time. And, to then deprive them of lunch is a poor business.

We did a cruise on the Star in March out of San Francisco, we were told the same thing and believe me, they stuck by the times. We are Platinum and it didn't make any difference, we were physically turned away at the terminal.

Princess cruise lines are fools. They are going to lose their best customers, because someone in corporate thought he or she had a better idea.

Since this was instituted by Princess to handle a large number of passengers boarding the ship, logic follows that to avoid congestion and waiting for reboarding after shore excursions at ports, the same system should be instituted at every port along the way.

After all, 2000 or more passengers may be trying to reboard the ship around the same time after shore excursions.

So, for example, when departing Livorno at 6 PM,

2:30 pm - Dolphin Deck

3:00 pm - Caribe Deck

3:30 pm - Lido Deck & Aloha Deck

4:00 pm - Baja Deck

4:30 pm - Emerald Deck

5:00 pm - Plaza Deck

5:30 pm - Riviera Deck

Let's face it. This makes as much sense as staggered boarding on embarkation day.

Good one

Why is everyone trying to come up with a better idea? That is how someone at Princess came up with this ridiculous system, by trying to come up with a better idea.

What is wrong with boarding in the order you checked in? Give priority to those that earned it and arrived before boarding started, then board the rest of the people in the order that they arrived. This way you don't have to worry about what to do with people that have early boarding times and show up late, or people that have late boarding times and show up early.

Come on are you serious, that makes to much sense.

I think those of us who cruise often should give priority to those who rarely, or have never before, been on a cruise so that they can have an extra special experience. Seems to me since we get to cruise often (life has afforded us that luxury) it would be nice for us to let the newbies have first crack at the ship. We've been there before.

Tom

I disagree. I am only Gold, but people who have made Princess, deserve better.

Because certain terminals cannot handle the crush of 2,000-3,000 people showing up at 10:30, all hoping to be first on board. Unlike the cynics and conspiracy theorists who think that everything that Princess does is designed to line its pockets, there is no economic advantage here for Princess. Instead, it has identified a problem and is trying to fix it. San Francisco is ill-suited for the purpose of loading multiple cruise ships on a given day. Getting 3,000 people off a ship and 3,000 new passengers on it is hampered by the chaos of everyone showing up at the same time. Logic, math, common sense and organizational skill sets all dictate that staggered boarding is more efficient. The question is, how do you implement it? Princess has chosen a rather random way of doing it. No harm in trying to figure out a better way since abandoning the process does not seem to be in the cards.

I have only cruised 4 times, but I have never seen a problem with boarding. My DW and I used to drive down to LA LA land (LA) and enjoyed the wait in the San Pedro Terminal. We are going out of SFO, and I am not having good feelings about it I hope I'm wrong.

But beyond this, I still like the idea of allowing people to pick their boarding time the same way they pick their dining preference. Early bookers get the most options.

Sounds good, but I do not see it as practical. Many people book their cruises up to two years in advance. Yes they can pick a boarding time then, but it is still 13 months from when they can make flight arrangements and have any idea what time they might be actually able to get to the port.

What I see happening is people picking the early times when they book, but 13 months later when they make flight arrangements which will not allow them to reach the port by the selected time, they will not remember to or take the effort to change the requested boarding time.

o If they do not change it, the early times may be "full" even though people cannot get to the port on time.

o If they try to change it, they may find that their new requested time is "full", but they have given up their early time. As a result, they may have to board significantly later than they want even though they booked the cruise early.

Even after making flight arrangments that match the requested time, their flight times can be changed by the airline again resulting in a mis-match between requested time and what is possible.

Keep it simple. Who shows up first can check in first and board first (subject to platinum/elite/suite priorities). It is easy to understand, usually works well, and requires no additional software programming to set up and change requested boarding times.

The infuriated are those like me who believe that I paid for that day on board, including lunch, and I want what I paid for, or at least equal access to it as anyone else. Why should some benefit that full experience: enjoying a relatively empty ship for a brief period, a leisurely dining room lunch, a stroll to the IC for a mocha to enjoy while unpacking before muster -- and others are denied it simply because the deck they booked on or when they reserved their cruise? I don't know why you, a normally reasonable person, don't get how that could be infuriating.

First of all, except for that March 19 fiasco, I have yet to hear how there have been a chaotic crush of people at any ports. Seems to me like people naturally sort themselves out, except for the usual lines before the doors open for boarding. I have never heard of any cruise where all 3000 passengers showed up at once to board -- that's patently ridiculous. Second, if people want to get there early and deal with a huge crush, let them. If I've been warned about crowds and choose to line up anyway, that's on me. I don't need the nannies at Princess to tell me when I can arrive at the pier.

I, of course, completely agree with you. This certainly seems to be a solution looking for a problem. We're going to be sailing on the Golden Princess in June from Seattle and we're using Princess transfers. We fully expect to be arriving before our allocated boarding time and we do expect to be able to board when we arrive (Elite and Platinum). Anything less will be met with considerable consternation.... ;)

There do seem to be conflicting reports coming from Princess (surprise!) about Elite and Platinum boarding. I think everyone can and should agree that a special boarding desk should be set up allowing those passengers to board whenever they please. If and when this is done, I think that the staggered boarding may indeed be more efficient. Is it infuriating to those who want to be first aboard for whatever reason? Sure. But infuriating can co-exist with efficient as long as the infuriated are nothing more than a vocal minority.

I disagree. I think you're only seeing "everyone" agree to this because most of the people on this thread are Elite and Platinum. However, there are those of us who are not.

And what you seem to be missing is that, if those of us who are not are forced to wait for significant times, while we see others just waltz onboard, we will never BECOME Elite and Platinum. And while rewarding people for loyalty is proper and necessary, Princess cannot exist solely off its frequent customers. There must continue to be an influx of new cruisers, who will get as angry as the Elites and Platinums believe they will be, and not sail again.

I think those of us who cruise often should give priority to those who rarely, or have never before, been on a cruise so that they can have an extra special experience. Seems to me since we get to cruise often (life has afforded us that luxury) it would be nice for us to let the newbies have first crack at the ship. We've been there before.

Tom

Thank you for standing up for us peons, Tom.

If I'm forced to wait in line to embark because there are a lot of people who showed up at the same time I did, that's one thing, and I'm OK with it. (Yes, I've been to Disney World.) But if I'm forced to wait in line for someone else's convenience or because of this staggered boarding, that's something quite different.

We are going on our 3rd Princess cruise and aren't elite or platinum. If this is a new perk for them, so be it. But it's a big inconvenience to us and will get us to more likely than not looking to other lines.

We are going on our 3rd Princess cruise and aren't elite or platinum. If this is a new perk for them, so be it. But it's a big inconvenience to us and will get us to more likely than not looking to other lines.

This perk has always been this way for Platinum and Elite. They simply call it priority boarding. As of now, it seems we don't actually know if Platinum and Elite can get on board whenever or if it means they get to go first at their alloted time. I completely agree that Princess has to come up with a better solution and I would be fine with going back to first come-first serve.

Also to say SF should not have any sailings until they fix the piers is crazy. SF is absolutely one of the most stunning cities in the world and to deny ships sailing from there would be ludicrous. BUT, years ago, I always said SF was way behind the times as far as cruising. It seems that only recently they woke up which is about 15 years too late.

I disagree. I think you're only seeing "everyone" agree to this because most of the people on this thread are Elite and Platinum. However, there are those of us who are not.

I don't think this is true at all. I am neither of those categories, and I have no problem conceding preferred boarding to loyal customers who have put in their time and paid their dues, literally.

And what you seem to be missing is that, if those of us who are not are forced to wait for significant times, while we see others just waltz onboard, we will never BECOME Elite and Platinum. And while rewarding people for loyalty is proper and necessary, Princess cannot exist solely off its frequent customers. There must continue to be an influx of new cruisers, who will get as angry as the Elites and Platinums believe they will be, and not sail again.

So you refuse to fly on airlines that allow First Class and Premiere passengers board first? Do you not stay at hotels that upgrade people with the highest Loyalty Program status? Of course it would be "nice" if airlines and hotels offered superior benefits to rookies to lure them in, but the travel industry does not work that way. Why should Princess be different?

If I'm forced to wait in line to embark because there are a lot of people who showed up at the same time I did, that's one thing, and I'm OK with it. (Yes, I've been to Disney World.) But if I'm forced to wait in line for someone else's convenience or because of this staggered boarding, that's something quite different.

And herein lies the problem. A complete lack of understanding as to what the staggered boarding procedure is supposed to offer. (And I emphasize "supposed to" because the current system doesn't seem to be running to the satisfaction of anyone just yet.) You worry about being "forced to wait in line for someone else's convenience or because of this staggered boarding..." But the whole point of the staggered boarding is so that you don't have to wait. You show up at your appointed time, and you sail right on board, pardon the pun. Waiting is eliminated. I think that the real beef people have (as pointed out by rdsqrl quite well) is that everyone has paid good money to get on the ship and enjoy their vacation, and no one should be told that they are entitled to 3 fewer hours on board than anyone else. That is a real public relations problem. But "waiting" will be eliminated. Plain and simple. You say you've been to Disney World. So you are familiar with the Fast Pass system. When it was introduced, some people hated it. Some still do. But the one thing that cannot be denied is that is cuts down the wait time for those who use it. So too with staggered boarding. If you are told to show up at 2:30 and do as you are told, you will not confront a line, not wait in the terminal, and will be on the ship in 10-15 minutes. (See Largin's post at #427). Waiting is not the issue. What are the issues are 1) trying to time your arrival at the terminal with your arrival in the departure city; 2) denying late boarders a few hours of paid-for vacation time; and 3) denying late boarders the opportunity to sign up for limited resource perks such as the Sanctuary and Chef's Table. But no one can possibly argue that staggered boarding will increase their wait time through the zig-zag queue at the terminal. The math just isn't there to support that assumption. Nor is the anecdotal evidence. So far, we have seen a fiasco on March 19th which was not the result of staggered boarding, and one other post (Largin's) who states that the staggered boarding was a breeze for him. As I pointed out in a prior post, if staggered boarding were implemented, and you were selected to be one of the first 50 people to board, you would laud the system. If it is implemented and you are one of the last 50 to be selected to board, you would hate the system. The real complaint is with the time that one boards. Not the time that it takes to board.

The new perk is that there they don't have to bear the inconvenience of staggered boarding. On two previous Princess cruises, it never took us more than 30 minutes to board. Now I'm being told to forget lunch and lug my carryon around freaking Southampton for multiple hours. I certainly won't have to deal with that on several other lines. Maybe you think it's no big deal. It is to some and not others. If Princess believes that this process will benefit everyone, that is not a globally accepted perception. I suppose that if you're elite or platinum that you don't care because this doesn't impact you or maybe even helps because we are not there crowding the buffet for lunch or competing for times at specialty restaurants or chefs table.

The new perk is that there they don't have to bear the inconvenience of staggered boarding. On two previous Princess cruises, it never took us more than 30 minutes to board. Now I'm being told to forget lunch and lug my carryon around freaking Southampton for multiple hours. I certainly won't have to deal with that on several other lines. Maybe you think it's no big deal. It is to some and not others. If Princess believes that this process will benefit everyone, that is not a globally accepted perception. I suppose that if you're elite or platinum that you don't care because this doesn't impact you or maybe even helps because we are not there crowding the buffet for lunch or competing for times at specialty restaurants or chefs table.

This does impact elite and platinum. I know that some people are saying that elite and platinum can just turn up and board but Iand my TA have spoken to Princess in Southampton and been told that we have to show up the scheduled boarding time for our deck and then go to the preferred check-in desk, so like everyone else if we arrive early we will have to lug our carry ons around with us.

So too with staggered boarding. If you are told to show up at 2:30 and do as you are told, you will not confront a line, not wait in the terminal, and will be on the ship in 10-15 minutes. (See Largin's post at #427). Waiting is not the issue................... So far, we have seen a fiasco on March 19th which was not the result of staggered boarding, and one other post (Largin's) who states that the staggered boarding was a breeze for him. [/i]

You misread my post 427.. Princess told me my staggered boarding time was 2:45.. I said B.S. and arrived at noon and boarded with no wait, no problem.

Sorry, I must respectfully disagree with the poster who says that "waiting will be eliminated" Huh? That may be true if your home is down the street from the port, but what about those coming from the airport, or those that must check out of a hotel by 11:00. These folks have no where else to go but the port. I think that is more than an imposition on them. Not all cruisers live in or near the port they are cruising from.

You misread my post 427.. Princess told me my staggered boarding time was 2:45.. I said B.S. and arrived at noon and boarded with no wait, no problem.

Got it. But...to some degree, the wait was minimized by the fact that others arrived later than they might otherwise have because of their stated boarding time. No way to calculate this out.

Sorry, I must respectfully disagree with the poster who says that "waiting will be eliminated" Huh? That may be true if your home is down the street from the port, but what about those coming from the airport, or those that must check out of a hotel by 11:00. These folks have no where else to go but the port. I think that is more than an imposition on them. Not all cruisers live in or near the port they are cruising from.

You have to read posts completely. The issue you address is conceded, which is what prompted the suggestion of perhaps tethering boarding times to port arrival times to some degree. Indeed, there is a good argument that people who live near the port should have the latest boarding time, since they have a free, convenient, comfortable place to wait; i.e., their home. (See post #470).

Got it. But...to some degree, the wait was minimized by the fact that others arrived later than they might otherwise have because of their stated boarding time. No way to calculate this out.

You have to read posts completely. The issue you address is conceded, which is what prompted the suggestion of perhaps tethering boarding times to port arrival times to some degree. Indeed, there is a good argument that people who live near the port should have the latest boarding time, since they have a free, convenient, comfortable place to wait; i.e., their home. (See post #470).

I'm amused that you advise to read posts completely after admitting you didn't read Largin's post.:D

I see another potential problem for Priority Boarding for Elite, Suites & Platinum passengers. In 2014 there are a great number of 2, 3 & 4 day cruises. Lots of passengers can gain Platinum status rather quickly and I am sure they will. I can see Priority Boarding becoming a log jam.

Being that I am from the San Francisco area and know the Embarcadero well, I just e-mailed Princess with a suggestion.

If Princess could rent a convention room at a hotel near the port and have everyone go there instead and assign numbers in a first come, first serve fashion, I think this would solve much of the problem. I also suggested that they have electric carts to bring dissabled passengers to the port when their number is called much like what airports have.

Or I suggested that they use the very large area near pier 30 as a area in the same way. This large mostly unused area now has a few benches and nothing else. It is not under construction, and is a clean paved area where tables and chairs could be easly set up for waiting.

Finally I don't know if Princess could do this or maybe they already do this, but cone off the lane on the Embarcadero closest to the sidewalk for ONLY buses, drop-offs or pick-ups, and taxi's. That way those who are not cruising, but are only driving on the Embarcadero could get through easier.

Finally, I let Princess know that passengers are not happy with the way the staggered boarding is now. I saw this myself on Mothers day with 3 ships in port. It was a mess. Also where the Island Princess was docked near the Ferry building, they had a HUGE paved area right there that appeared to be completely unused. All busses, taxi's and such could have easily pulled into this big lot. All that would have to be done is some clean up there.

I had a completely different experience on Mother's day in SF. We came in by ferry to peir 41 at 11:30 am to board the Star.

Walked to pier 35 which was very crowded by disembarkers from the Sea and Star. I read reports that Embarcardero was to be closed to traffic in front of the piers but it was open and very caotic. We walked past a long line for boarding, crossed the street and sat in a park for 15 minutes. By 12 noon the line had gone down and we crossed the street to a new shorter, line, waited 5 minutes and were let into the terminal. After filling out the health questionaire, got into the preferred line and were checked in without a wait. The only line from there was a 5 minutes wait for the hand held scanner and camera that 2 crew members were handling.

We were never asked what deck we were on for staggered boarding although we did get the staggered boarding email and choose to ignore it.

Total time from getting in line to our stateroom: 20 minutes.

I'd never heard of staggered boarding before I received my letter this morning. My boarding time is 12:30 which is earlier than I'd hoped for, having a 4 hour drive down to Southampton. Guess I'll just have to get up earlier. Have to admit though that on previous cruises I've queued in dreadful lengthy lines. Hoping that this doesn't occur this time. I'll be checking in, dumping suitcase in cabin already pre booked and legging it to the food hall.

I'd never heard of staggered boarding before I received my letter this morning. My boarding time is 12:30 which is earlier than I'd hoped for, having a 4 hour drive down to Southampton. Guess I'll just have to get up earlier. Have to admit though that on previous cruises I've queued in dreadful lengthy lines. Hoping that this doesn't occur this time. I'll be checking in, dumping suitcase in cabin already pre booked and legging it to the food hall.

I have read about not being early for your staggered boarding time but have not read nothing about boarding later. I would board when you want to board.. :)

Greetings from Star Princess! Your intrepid reporter and her DH arrived at 12:30, with a scheduled boarding time of 1:30. There was no evidence of staggered boarding being enforced. We and our 5 bottles of wine were onboard in 30 minutes. Long lines but priority after security and then a side door to queue up to board.

Our luggage arrived in our cabin about 15 minutes after we did. our hot water kettle, with automatic shutoff, made it to the cabin. We're ready to go!!:D

Greetings from Star Princess! Your intrepid reporter and her DH arrived at 12:30, with a scheduled boarding time of 1:30. There was no evidence of staggered boarding being enforced. We and our 5 bottles of wine were onboard in 30 minutes. Long lines but priority after security and then a side door to queue up to board.

Our luggage arrived in our cabin about 15 minutes after we did. our hot water kettle, with automatic shutoff, made it to the cabin. We're ready to go!!:D

NICE! Keep us updated as your cruise goes on. Have fun!

Archived