Staggered Boarding??

Retired 07

I agree. We were on the March 19 sailing, it was chaotic and a total fiasco. Sadly, this cruise will always be remembered as starting out with the worst boarding process of any of our previous ones.

As one who disembarked that day, the disembarkation was the worst we have every had from a cruise ship. However, we will remember it as having been a great cruise as well as remembering (being scarred for life by?) the chaotic disembarkation.

I called and asked because I had a 1:00 boarding time and I wanted to be on the ship by 11:30. I was told that I may encounter a line at that time, but was welcome anytime I wanted to board before embarkation. I got there early, had no line and the bags were already at the door when we got there! I believe it is Princess trying to prevent a long uncomfortable wait in line rather than any ulterior motives to kep people from eating lunch onboard the cruise.

I called and asked because I had a 1:00 boarding time and I wanted to be on the ship by 11:30. I was told that I may encounter a line at that time, but was welcome anytime I wanted to board before embarkation. I got there early, had no line and the bags were already at the door when we got there! I believe it is Princess trying to prevent a long uncomfortable wait in line rather than any ulterior motives to kep people from eating lunch onboard the cruise.

That's good to hear but if that is the case they should drop some of their language about turning you away.

Greetings from Star Princess! Your intrepid reporter and her DH arrived at 12:30, with a scheduled boarding time of 1:30. There was no evidence of staggered boarding being enforced. We and our 5 bottles of wine were onboard in 30 minutes. Long lines but priority after security and then a side door to queue up to board.

Our luggage arrived in our cabin about 15 minutes after we did. our hot water kettle, with automatic shutoff, made it to the cabin. We're ready to go!!:D

Jean....a Kettle? Brilliant news how did you manage that one? I've been told its a no noand would really love to have our own kettle in our stateroom...what is your secret ;)

Andy

It takes longer to read these 24 pages than it does to board.

Do people really think that 2 or 3 hours extra on the ship makes that much difference? It must take some people 2 days just to remember they are on holidays. If it creates that much stress, stay at work!

I'm glad you enjoy getting on later. A lot of people do. There are others like my DW and I that enjoy getting on early. Staggered boarding takes that choice away.

I do not buy this. There is more congestion this way as people arrive from their flights, Princess xfers, etc. and must stay outside until their processing time.

I agree. In SFO if you leave your hotel at 1100, I only place to go is Fishermen's wharf. There you can spend 30.00 for lunch, instead of eating in the Horizon Court. How much of sightseeing at you do, especially carrying your carry on around.

Seems we are expected to be the last to board for our August trip. Boarding time 2,30 pm but everyone must be aboard by 3.00??? Somewhat peeved by this, so will probably just ignore it and take my chances.

We are arriving by car from some distance, and have to allow for any holdups, which could well mean arriving earlier than this. Plus we are travelling with some first timers on a higher deck, who will have a totally different boarding time.

Logistically for us it will be a pain in the ****.

I hopr Princess are true to their word and use some common sense here!

Its Southampton btw, and last summer the staggered boarding was implemented but not enforced in my experience.

Seems we are expected to be the last to board for our August trip. Boarding time 2,30 pm but everyone must be aboard by 3.00??? Somewhat peeved by this, so will probably just ignore it and take my chances.

We are arriving by car from some distance, and have to allow for any holdups, which could well mean arriving earlier than this. Plus we are travelling with some first timers on a higher deck, who will have a totally different boarding time.

Logistically for us it will be a pain in the ****.

I hope Princess are true to their word and use some common sense here!

Its Southampton btw, and last summer the staggered boarding was implemented but not enforced in my experience.

I believe that Southampton is enforcing it. Weeks ago I received a notification from them regarding the staggered boarding procedure.

I hope that Princess reads all the negative comments here as they need to rethink this.

I believe that Southampton is enforcing it. Weeks ago I received a notification from them regarding the staggered boarding procedure.

I hope that Princess reads all the negative comments here as they need to rethink this.

Well, I will soon find out. We leave for Southhampton on June 17th; boarding the Caribbean on the 19th. I will do a LIVE as usual and let you all know what untoward fiasco occurred, if anything, at that time.

Well, I will soon find out. We leave for Southhampton on June 17th; boarding the Caribbean on the 19th. I will do a LIVE as usual and let you all know what untoward fiasco occurred, if anything, at that time.

I'll be looking forward to your post. We leave on July 1.

I boarded the Grand at Southampton on May 2nd - there was absolutely no sign of staggered boarding (nor had I received any email about it), nor were there any excessive queues, and I boarded in the usual amount of time having arrived at 11.20am.

I boarded the Grand at Southampton on May 2nd - there was absolutely no sign of staggered boarding (nor had I received any email about it), nor were there any excessive queues, and I boarded in the usual amount of time having arrived at 11.20am.

Read with interest,as there was no enforcement of this last summer when we travelled. I wonder if it will have increased in profile this summer, and whether the intent it to implement it more strictly in the peak season, in which we travel. In the UK the long school holidays start in late July and continue throughout August. We, b virtue of my job and our childrens education must travel then, sadly!!

I have now emailed Princess asking got clarification as well as stressing my displeasure! i doubt they will respond, but time will tell.

Where do you find the assigned boarding time?

If you have staggered boarding it will be e-mailed to you. If you don't have staggered boarding there is no assigned boarding time.

If you have staggered boarding it will be e-mailed to you. If you don't have staggered boarding there is no assigned boarding time.

We have not received any e-mail but our boarding passes refer you to a schedule for your assigned time to board.

You don't have to recieve an email for staggered boarding. It is on the booking summary at the bottom under important notices. I haven't got a email either, but it is clearly on the summary.

When I called Princess to ask them some other question, I asked about the staggered boarding and they said they are enforcing it in Seattle. Not sure? Maybe the people who crusied in May will report.

I'M NOT EVEN ALLOWED IN THE TERMINAL :eek:

After sitting on a 5 1/2 hour flight, now we will have to sit in the parking lot. I'm on the aloha deck. I wonder if they will allow us to enter their terminal if we need to use their restrooms.

Debbie

:mad:

My Summary:

CRUISE CHECK-IN

To ensure a smooth start to your voyage, we operate a staggered check-in schedule. Please arrive at your scheduled check-in time as noted below, determined by your deck and cabin number. Due to security regulations and very limited space inside the terminal, passengers arriving prior to their check-in will not be permitted to enter the terminal. Passengers may drop off their luggage and will be asked to return at their scheduled time. Priority check-in will be available for Preferred passengers within your allocated check-in time once inside the terminal. All passengers must be onboard by 3:30 pm. 10:30 am - Caribe & Lido Decks / Cabins C101-C753, L201-L312 10:30 am - Fiesta & Sun Decks / Cabins F301-F315, S701-S714 (Golden Princess) 12:30 pm - Baja & Plaza Decks / Cabins B201-B751, P201-P337 1:30 pm - Aloha & Emerald Decks / Cabins A201-A749, E101-E733 2:30 pm - Dolphin Deck / Cabins D103-D737

So... some passengers are not "preferred"? Nice.

Tom

I'M NOT EVEN ALLOWED IN THE TERMINAL :eek:

After sitting on a 5 1/2 hour flight, now we will have to sit in the parking lot. I'm on the aloha deck. I wonder if they will allow us to enter their terminal if we need to use their restrooms.

Debbie

:mad:

My Summary:

CRUISE CHECK-IN

To ensure a smooth start to your voyage, we operate a staggered check-in schedule. Please arrive at your scheduled check-in time as noted below, determined by your deck and cabin number. Due to security regulations and very limited space inside the terminal, passengers arriving prior to their check-in will not be permitted to enter the terminal. Passengers may drop off their luggage and will be asked to return at their scheduled time. Priority check-in will be available for Preferred passengers within your allocated check-in time once inside the terminal. All passengers must be onboard by 3:30 pm. 10:30 am - Caribe & Lido Decks / Cabins C101-C753, L201-L312 10:30 am - Fiesta & Sun Decks / Cabins F301-F315, S701-S714 (Golden Princess) 12:30 pm - Baja & Plaza Decks / Cabins B201-B751, P201-P337 1:30 pm - Aloha & Emerald Decks / Cabins A201-A749, E101-E733 2:30 pm - Dolphin Deck / Cabins D103-D737

I am starting to wonder if staggered bookings is a way to allow first time cruises on first so they can book the ultimate ship tour, explore the ship and then have something to eat in the Buffett.

Archived