NEW muster station rule

Cruisers from WA

If you can’t tolerate the Princess coffee here is a product that I use at work. I don’t get involved with the community coffee pot that nobody wants to prepare or clean. Then there is the issue of whose turn it is to buy the coffee or milk. Now I just make my own coffee with the hot water that comes out of the water cooler. I bring coffee and milk from home and I clean my own mug.

http://www.liquidplanet.com/Planetary-Design-Double-Shot-Travel-French-Press-Mug-p-192.html

I love the look of that mug. I use a French Press at home as my DH and I only drink a cup or two after dinner once in a while. Gave up daily coffee for hot tea a long time ago. While I guess I am one of those people that can tolerate the coffee on the ship as I only order a cup after dinner with dessert, I would definitely considering buy one or two of these to use for travel. Thanks for the link!

Yes, and I bet they would really appreciate putting them to the test and risk darkening parts of the ship. That's probably why the rule. ALL ships, military and civilian have this type of issue, and the Navy requires all plugged items to be inspected by the electricians for safety and current draw. And the Navy isn't trying to give people a hard time so they can sell coffee cards.

Each cabin has it's own dedicated circuit breaker located close by in the hallway.

I recently cruised on the NCL Epic. They actually had a coffee maker in each room. I do not like the Princess coffee, and while I would never think of bringing my own coffee maker, I really enjoyed having the coffee maker supplied by NCL in my room. The coffee it made was very good, and we could make a small pot each morning to enjoy on our balcony.

Each cabin has it's own dedicated circuit breaker located close by in the hallway.

Oh, ok, well then, they must be sick of the 50 people who bother to bring their own coffeemakers and the revenue they lose at a buck or two per cup. Whereas they aren't that concerned about the 2000 people who bring large amounts of alcohol that would cost upwards of $6 per drink.

I seriously doubt that the micro numbers that take a coffee maker onboard will even scratch the surface when it come to Princess coffee revenues.

we have never even considered taking one onboard. :rolleyes:

I don't have room, what with pillows/blankets/steamer trunks/foam toppers/extension cords/distilled water/beer/liquor, oh and of course the fishing poles. :eek:

and the list goes on and on.

Yes, and I bet they would really appreciate putting them to the test and risk darkening parts of the ship. That's probably why the rule. ALL ships, military and civilian have this type of issue, and the Navy requires all plugged items to be inspected by the electricians for safety and current draw. And the Navy isn't trying to give people a hard time so they can sell coffee cards.

Does anyone else see a potential opportunity for budget deficit reduction?

I imagine the OP completely misheard/misunderstood what (if anything at all) was said, given that no one else has mentioned a similar caution on this or any other ship.

Something else to try:

What is normally wrong with the syrup coffee, IMO if anything

it is weak. How do you fix weak coffee, add more, as long as the water is hot.

If they are not preventing Coffee Makers in cabins why not try adding your

favorite instant to the supplied weak brew? I know instant is not the best but we all likely have at least one brand we can drink.

On my first Princess cruise I almost gagged on the coffee - it was that bad. It took me a while to figure out they were using coffee concentrate instead of fresh brewing. After that I started to bring my own Tasters Choice instant. It's preferable, at least for me, to the Princess swill.

My problem with the coffee is not that it is weak or strong but it has a chemical after taste. I haven't had a cup of instant coffee in over 30yrs maybe it's time to give it a try again.

I couldn't believe what I was reading. You mean to tell me that people bring coffee makers on a cruise when coffee is available 24 hours a day? Do you also bring lunch bags for food? This is absurd. Stay home and go to IHop as that is probably the place that one who makes their own coffee on a cruise would enjoy--not a lovely cruise with excellent food, service, and comfort where everyone goes out of their way to provide the best for you so you might enjoy a vacation. Disgusting.

First Post stated, at the muster lecture it was mentioned" NO coffemakers are to be used in cabins ".

I think the reason two people asked was that if this was a new rule, why mention it for the first time at the muster drill. Wouldn't this be something to be explained on one of those pre-cruise emails we get?

First Post stated, at the muster lecture it was mentioned" NO coffemakers are to be used in cabins ".

The headline stated " :mad:NEW muster station rule " and then went on to explain the No coffee maker in the stateroom. Having a coffee maker or not has nothing to do with the muster station. IMHO offcourse.

Theo

Have to wonder if there was just an incident on a prior cruise and the captain felt compelled to mention it.

Lost in the debate here by the way is that the coffemakers and urns on the ship are designed for spill control in rough seas. Mr. Coffee is not.

Electrical issues aside (and they are valid), there is also a real risk of scalding.

I'm a huge coffee addict and although the "syrup" based coffee on board isn't wonderful, it isn't awful. Then again I cream my coffee so I already mask the flavor that some might find that makes syrup based coffee horrible.

Either way, packing Via is something I might consider, but packing a coffee maker to take on a cruise is not even an option.

In terms of safety, fire is the most dangerous risk any vessel at sea faces. Fire on board a ship spreads quickly and poses the risk of making the ship unmaneuverable, depending on where the fire breaks out. Smoke from a fire gets ingested into the air conditioning and smoke is spread all around the ship thus making the interior air unbearable.

An unmaneuverable ship is a dangerous thing. If it is far enough out to sea it will drift with the currents until help arrives, if it is near a coastline it is in danger of running aground and possibly sinking prior to help arriving.

If you get a fire in the wrong place on a cruise ship it could take out its engines and if the engines no longer run you don't have any electrical power and the whole ship operates on electricity. No power= no toilets, no hot food, no refrigeration, no water supply, no lights, no maneuvering... no fun.

Anyway, I agree, the whole personal coffee maker in your room is basically a bad idea and banning it is reasonable.

Have some compassion and consider the OP's city of origin. The whole city smells like the inside of a well used coffee urn. There is either a Starbucks or Seattle's Best on every street corner with a coffee cart mid-block in case you can't make it to the next corner. The street people, once they have panhandled enough cash, don't order a coffee, they order a "Half-Caf, Decaf Latte Americano with extra foam" or whatever. They even serve espresso shots to the preschoolers during cookie breaks. What do you expect???:D ;)

DISCLAIMER: I love Seattle and have enjoyed every visit and even lived there a long time ago. I would visit again in a minute and it would be my first choice of where to live if I had to leave NJ.

I couldn't believe what I was reading. You mean to tell me that people bring coffee makers on a cruise when coffee is available 24 hours a day? Do you also bring lunch bags for food? .

Yes, I have read hear that people pack Ziploc bags to pack lunch from the buffet to bring on shore. On the morning of the last day I have witnessed passengers filling those plastic containers that you purchase at the grocery store with food for the ride home. I would just stay home before I would pack a coffee pot or some of the other items that I read about that people bring. It’s cruising not camping. I agree with you. If you need all the comforts of home you are probably better off staying there.

Have some compassion and consider the OP's city of origin. The whole city smells like the inside of a well used coffee urn. There is either a Starbucks or Seattle's Best on every street corner with a coffee cart mid-block in case you can't make it to the next corner. The street people, once they have panhandled enough cash, don't order a coffee, they order a "Half-Caf, Decaf Latte Americano with extra foam" or whatever. They even serve espresso shots to the preschoolers during cookie breaks. What do you expect???:D ;)

DISCLAIMER: I love Seattle and have enjoyed every visit and even lived there a long time ago. I would visit again in a minute and it would be my first choice of where to live if I had to leave NJ.

Hi Doug

When I saw that the OP was from Seattle I though the same thing.

Heck I was thinking of bringing my coffee make on my next cruise! May be I will bring my microwave to lets see what else oh my fridge I can fill it with water and beer.My washer and dryer would be nice.My favorite chair that sounds good, give me a break why do people think they have to drag everything from home on their vaction just drink their coffe it wont kill you.I have read a lot of posts where people drag all kinds of stuff from home on a cruise with them its kind of silly to me.Your only going to be on the ship for a short time leave the kitchen sink at home!:rolleyes:

Yes, I have read hear that people pack Ziploc bags to pack lunch from the buffet to bring on shore. On the morning of the last day I have witnessed passengers filling those plastic containers that you purchase at the grocery store with food for the ride home.

What's real fun is when those people are stupid enough to pull an orange out of their purse to dig out their customs form while standing in front of the customs agent.

Easy - first, dedicated higher capacity outlets, second, make sure they have a safety float valve in the water chamber, etc. When you control the wiring and the model selection it certainly can be done safely but there is no way a cruise line could vet every possible model a passenger could choose to carry.

NCL has cappuccino makers in all of it's suites. I wonder how they handle the "fire danger"? :rolleyes:

Easy - first, dedicated higher capacity outlets, second, make sure they have a safety float valve in the water chamber, etc. When you control the wiring and the model selection it certainly can be done safely but there is no way a cruise line could vet every possible model a passenger could choose to carry.

Good point. ;)

Archived