Rep. rting In From the Zuiderdam

startwin

I'm happy to report an almost-normally functioning toilet today!!! (Oh the simple things in life that cheer us:D). Very hot today in Nicaragua - this is not a great port just a little market at the dock, unless you go on an excursion - we cancelled ours today as DH not feeling good (the heat, probably) but I later heard that the bus was not air conditioned anyway, so we were glad we cancelled,

This has really been a great cruise in spite of all the problems, and I am so glad we did it. But I would think twice before booking this ship again. Still love HAL, and the crew on here are wonderful. Our cabin stewards are the best.

The Panama transit was a great experience, I would love to do it again one day.

I'm happy to report an almost-normally functioning toilet today!!! (Oh the simple things in life that cheer us:D). Very hot today in Nicaragua - this is not a great port just a little market at the dock, unless you go on an excursion - we cancelled ours today as DH not feeling good (the heat, probably) but I later heard that the bus was not air conditioned anyway, so we were glad we cancelled,

This has really been a great cruise in spite of all the problems, and I am so glad we did it. But I would think twice before booking this ship again. Still love HAL, and the crew on here are wonderful. Our cabin stewards are the best.

Oh startwin - as soon as I saw you post I had to come and look to make sure everything was still ok - so glad it is:D Have to agree with you on the panama canal - it is fantastic - enjoy what's left of your cruise - may you and your dh enjoy it and may your toilet continue to flush:p (I can't believe I just said that:eek:) enjoy your cruise - best to both of you and to Sapper1 and her dh:D

Yes, I believe they can. If you have a choice between the two cabins, go for 4166 - there is nothing to the one side of it, whereas 4164 hass the ice machine in the room next door, so there is a bit of noise. It's a great location - and we managed to get a lounger for the deck as well.

Happy to report a fully-functioning toilet today:) and keeping everything crossed that it continues that way.:D

That is good news!!!

Sorry your DH isn't feeling well -heat can do that to you.

We were lucky when we were in Nicaragua -- we had an air-conditionined bus for our tour.

You have a great attitude and don't let little things spoil your vacation. We have done that trip twice, the last time was Dec 2011. We love it and love the ship except for the bathroom problems. We luckly did not have a problem in our room, but if you were in a public area, you had a hard time finding a bathrooom that was not marked out of order, especially if you needed a handicapped one. They were supposedly bringing in expert plumbers after we got off, and for a while it seemed like things had slowed down on the boards as far as problems but lookl like it has raised its ugly head again.

Enjoy your trip, you will cherrish the memories for ever, I know we have. :)

At least they are trying to do something to 'make up' to you. Enjoy everyone of those gifts as you have actually 'earned' them;)

My fingers are crossed for you for a working toilet and smooth seas:)

Oh my, it just keeps getting worse, LOL. Good job we are having a great time otherwise!! Sapper phoned me this morning - all the toilets on her deck were out. Then I reported another non-flush on mine, and by then ALL the toilet on all decks weren't working according to the front office, and the only public ones working were well forward. Apparently, two vacuum pumps broke down, and the captain came on full of apologies, and now most are up and running again.

It's all fun and games!! Who would think you'd go ashore in Mexico of all places, to use a loo:D

I still have to say, in spite of everything.... we are having the time of our lives, and don't regret it at all. They just need to do some serious work on this ship. Our cabin at least still has great air conditioning.

In Puerto Chiapas today, with cheap internet - hence this post:):) It's very hot.

I am so glad you and the staff are getting all the "issues" sorted out before we board on Tuesday! Thank you very much for all that:)

Enjoy the visits to the rest of the ports and see you all in San Diego on the ship!

Oh my, it just keeps getting worse, LOL. Good job we are having a great time otherwise!! Sapper phoned me this morning - all the toilets on her deck were out. Then I reported another non-flush on mine, and by then ALL the toilet on all decks weren't working according to the front office, and the only public ones working were well forward. Apparently, two vacuum pumps broke down, and the captain came on full of apologies, and now most are up and running again.

It's all fun and games!! Who would think you'd go ashore in Mexico of all places, to use a loo:D

I still have to say, in spite of everything.... we are having the time of our lives, and don't regret it at all. They just need to do some serious work on this ship. Our cabin at least still has great air conditioning.

In Puerto Chiapas today, with cheap internet - hence this post:):) It's very hot.

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :eek: I can't believe how much the situation has deteriorated in just two years:eek:

Wow - do I feel for the two of you - of course I feel for all the passengers but since we 'know' you and Sapper1 we are especially feeling (at least I am).

Boy, what an attitude you have - I don't know if I would still have a glass 1/2 full attitude - but I admire you admirably. i do hope HAL is going to do something for you in this regard. Going to the loo in Mexico??? Now, that's a scary thought.

so sorry to hear this has happened to two such wonderful people and their better halves. I do hope it can get fixed for the rest of your cruise.

Just wondering how they will blame this on someone putting something down the toilet.??????

Wow - try to enjoy the rest of our cruise - collect some obc or something for your next one.

Sorry to hear the bad news - I was really hoping it would be clear sailing for you now.

Wow ! Zuiderdam is a beautiful ship and Hal has to realize this problem has been ongoing since the fall . At some point they have to bite the bullet and pull the ship out of service to properly repair it . when our AC was out in March , I asked them if we could get off in Aruba and fly home . I was serious . Finally , the fourth day , the AC was fixed . But , as I said at the time you feel like a hostage to Hal , you have no toilet or no AC and where can you go ? You are stuck there . It's not like a bad room at the Hyatt and you can move across the street to the Hilton , you are stuck !

Hal has to understand this and realize that no amount of chocolate strawberries , free Pinnacle dinners or On board credit will make people want to book again on this ship until it is fixed .

we have been cruising from Florida ,mostly, for the last 12 years but after the Zuidy experience in March with the AC we are going to use different vacation options . And we love to be on the ship and it's a shame , but as I've said before , I'm afraid to rely on Hal to supply the basics .

They have a great product and I hope they don't ruin it . I feel bad for the hard working crew . And I am very thankful for the guest relations manager on the Zuiderdam , JoJo Flores . Without this great lady I don't think we ever would have gotten Air .

Wow ! Zuiderdam is a beautiful ship and Hal has to realize this problem has been ongoing since the fall . At some point they have to bite the bullet and pull the ship out of service to properly repair it . when our AC was out in March , I asked them if we could get off in Aruba and fly home . I was serious . Finally , the fourth day , the AC was fixed . But , as I said at the time you feel like a hostage to Hal , you have no toilet or no AC and where can you go ? You are stuck there . It's not like a bad room at the Hyatt and you can move across the street to the Hilton , you are stuck !

Hal has to understand this and realize that no amount of chocolate strawberries , free Pinnacle dinners or On board credit will make people want to book again on this ship until it is fixed .

we have been cruising from Florida ,mostly, for the last 12 years but after the Zuidy experience in March with the AC we are going to use different vacation options . And we love to be on the ship and it's a shame , but as I've said before , I'm afraid to rely on Hal to supply the basics .

They have a great product and I hope they don't ruin it . I feel bad for the hard working crew . And I am very thankful for the guest relations manager on the Zuiderdam , JoJo Flores . Without this great lady I don't think we ever would have gotten Air .

I have written 2 e-mails to HAL about the Zuiderdam because we are booked on her in April 2013 for the Panama and I am very concerned about the A/C and toilet issues. I get a standard letter back so I truly do wonder if they will do anything about it. I have asked if it will be addressed when it goes into dry-dock or re-fit whatever it is called at the end of the year but no clear answer on that either.

wow that sounds so not good :(.....especially the toilet. That would have been a major major major problem for me.

What happens if all toilets stop working, do they have emergency potty's on board like the ones you have in the hospital?

I have written 2 e-mails to HAL about the Zuiderdam because we are booked on her in April 2013 for the Panama and I am very concerned about the A/C and toilet issues. I get a standard letter back so I truly do wonder if they will do anything about it. I have asked if it will be addressed when it goes into dry-dock or re-fit whatever it is called at the end of the year but no clear answer on that either.

If I were you I would find another trip or take Princess as they do the same itenary I believe HAL knows exactly what is wrong and has chosen not to spend the money to fix it. There is more than one vacuum pump and more than one ac unit. I bet some are broken so now there is no backup.

Saddened to read of further toilet problems.

Very unpleasant.

Hope the the toilets you used in Mexico were fully functioning.

Enjoy the rest of the cruise, you have a very positive attitude.:)

snip ... So I emailed a friend in the Technical Department on Zuiderdam to see how things were going. He was quite surprised to hear about these problems.

I have sailed this beautiful ship 11 times, and never had a problem. I wonder, since the toilets flush by a vacuum system, can this be affected by passengers leaving their veranda doors propped open? It seems this would mess with both the toilets AND the A/C.

We will board the Zuiderdam in San Diego next Tuesday for a 4-day Pacific Coastal cruise, ending in Vancouver.

For the first 3 days we will have NO ports to stop at to use public facilities.

startwin - I can't imagine getting off the ship in Mexico to use the toilet is the solution, but what other choice would you have! Good grief. You have a way better attitude about your circumstances than I would.

I hope I don't regret booking this cruise. I am not even looking forward to it now. It was supposed to be our "cruise to no where" for a time of total relaxation. Not a happy camper right now!

Perhaps I should take a port-a-potty. Do they make travel size port-a-potties??

wow that sounds so not good :(.....especially the toilet. That would have been a major major major problem for me.

What happens if all toilets stop working, do they have emergency potty's on board like the ones you have in the hospital?

I'm thinking that HAL should seriously consider the installation of portable 'Chamber Pots' in all the staterooms onboard the Zuiderdam! ;)

We will board the Zuiderdam in San Diego next Tuesday for a 4-day Pacific Coastal cruise, ending in Vancouver.

For the first 3 days we will have NO ports to stop at to use public facilities.

startwin - I can't imagine getting off the ship in Mexico to use the toilet is the solution, but what other choice would you have! Good grief. You have a way better attitude about your circumstances than I would.

I hope I don't regret booking this cruise. I am not even looking forward to it now. It was supposed to be our "cruise to no where" for a time of total relaxation. Not a happy camper right now!

Perhaps I should take a port-a-potty. Do they make travel size port-a-potties??

Well, how about sitting on the (top) rail around the Promenade Deck & hanging on real tight? :D

I have sailed this beautiful ship 11 times, and never had a problem. I wonder, since the toilets flush by a vacuum system, can this be affected by passengers leaving their veranda doors propped open? It seems this would mess with both the toilets AND the A/C.

I don't think there's any correlation between the HVAC system affecting the vacuum plumbing system.

I wonder, since the toilets flush by a vacuum system, can this be affected by passengers leaving their veranda doors propped open? It seems this would mess with both the toilets AND the A/C.

Are you kidding ??

Oh Candy, you have to be kidding!! A|nd how would that affect the public toilets, many of which have been out of order?

By the way, you will have noticed that the signs by the veranda doors asking that doors be kept shut do not refer to the air conditioning at all - it just says that it would cause condensation.

Perhaps HAL can arrange for a fleet of porta-potties to be installed on the promanade deck prior to the next sailing.

This brings a new meaning to the expression 'ship happens'. We were seriously considering a partial Panama cruise last month on this ship. So glad that we passed on it.

HAL needs to do much better.

Are you kidding ??
hypercafe: it was a question, not a statement.

Cindy: Thank you for your helpful answer.

startwin: The signs by the veranda doors do not say anything about keeping out soot, bugs, birds, smoke, or creating a fire safety hazard, so I imagine there are a number of other reasons, as well.

The signs are there so that HAL cheerleaders can blame just about anything on cruisers who leave their balcony doors open-up to and including AC, HVAC, plumbing, wear and tear issues, world hunger and probably pestilence!

Archived