Rep. rting In From the Zuiderdam

startwin

People have been reporting these problems on the ship for a long time. I was on the last trip, saw and had the same issues yet the same folks still say the ship must be fine, it's the fault of the pass. The crew is told what to say to cover it up. I was in the culinary arts center and had to leave cause it was so hot. One of the bar staff asked where are you going, it's not hot in here. I find it amazing that folks want to counter what Startwin has to say yet she is on the ship right now. The canal is a great thing to see and I had a great time seeing it, however this ship does have problems.

Now, sadly, the plumbing issue is beginning to affect my enjoyment of this cruise. The plumber had to come twice last evening, and during the night it stopped working again, so today we cannot use our room while they do a big fix. Up to now, they haven't even had to come inside, they do something from a mechanical room nearby. I talked to the front office late last night, and got nowhere so now I have requested a meeting with the hotel manager, but was told that likely will not happen. Excuse me???

While waiting in line for the shore excursions this morning, two people in the line said their cabins have had no air since the beginning of the cruise. And so it continues.

On the positive side, yesterday was a fantastic day, going through the Panama. what a journey! Perfect weather, too. We watched most of it from our balcony, though moved around the ship as well.

Hope my future posts will not be so negative, but I still have to say that plumbing and air aside, the ship is well-cared for.

Now, sadly, the plumbing issue is beginning to affect my enjoyment of this cruise. The plumber had to come twice last evening, and during the night it stopped working again, so today we cannot use our room while they do a big fix. Up to now, they haven't even had to come inside, they do something from a mechanical room nearby. I talked to the front office late last night, and got nowhere so now I have requested a meeting with the hotel manager, but was told that likely will not happen. Excuse me???

While waiting in line for the shore excursions this morning, two people in the line said their cabins have had no air since the beginning of the cruise. And so it continues.

Hope my future posts will not be so negative, but I still have to say that plumbing and air aside, the ship is well-cared for.

Are the air and plumbing problems all over the ship or just in certain areas (if you can tell)?

Now that you are headed North, the air problems should be lessening.

See you in a few days.

DaveOKC

On the positive side, yesterday was a fantastic day, going through the Panama. what a journey! Perfect weather, too. We watched most of it from our balcony, though moved around the ship as well.

Sounds like you need to make an appointment to see the Guest Relations Manager.

People have been reporting these problems on the ship for a long time. I was on the last trip, saw and had the same issues yet the same folks still say the ship must be fine, it's the fault of the pass. The crew is told what to say to cover it up. I was in the culinary arts center and had to leave cause it was so hot. One of the bar staff asked where are you going, it's not hot in here. I find it amazing that folks want to counter what Startwin has to say yet she is on the ship right now. The canal is a great thing to see and I had a great time seeing it, however this ship does have problems.

I have been reading these complaints for several months now-it is troubling for me. There is no way I could stand not having A/C in the hot/humid climate nor have a toilet that wasn't working. I'm sorry but it would just spoil the cruise for me. I'm easy going but do expect those two things to work properly.

I also trust what Startwin is saying and will be on the ship soon for the 4 night from San Diego to Vancouver and plan on talking to her more about it. I just don't want to risk spending 22 nights on the ship next year for the Panama cruise we have booked if they don't get this fixed on the Z. I'd rather go somewhere else on a different ship.

I echo jerseygirl's comment... We were on the 4/9-20 trip and to my knowledge, I heard nothing of A/C issues or toilet problems. Port Side 5026 - worked just fine... The only "problem" we had was trying to figure out which switch controlled which lights....

A/C worked great in the shops, the coldest part of the ship. The Vista Lounge, the MDR, Pinnacle grill... all fine.

It WAS hot outside on the Panama Canal day... but it IS afterall, PANAMA !

Reporting back.... the big fix today worked for 5 hours. We are now back to "delayed flush" which can happen anywhere from 15 mins to over an hour. Next comes No Flush, in our experience.

I really don't care who agrees or disagrees, I am simply reporting my own experience on the ship at this time. If someone chooses not to believe it, too bad.

I was supposed to get a visit from the manager of Guest Services today ( in response to my request for a meeting with James Deering) but not a word. Great PR on this ship, LOL.

I echo jerseygirl's comment... We were on the 4/9-20 trip and to my knowledge, I heard nothing of A/C issues or toilet problems. Port Side 5026 - worked just fine... The only "problem" we had was trying to figure out which switch controlled which lights....

A/C worked great in the shops, the coldest part of the ship. The Vista Lounge, the MDR, Pinnacle grill... all fine.

It WAS hot outside on the Panama Canal day... but it IS afterall, PANAMA !

I was on the same cruise with Kelly (well, not 'with' him, but as a fellow passenger). We had zero AC problems in our cabin (4129) and no toilet issues either. I did, however, notice that certain areas of the ship were much warmer than others (such as midships) and some areas were freezing (Half Moon room). However, the differences weren't really that bothersome. I carried a jacket most of the time and was perfectly comfortable.

I don't doubt for one second what Startwin is reporting. It seems silly to argue with the person who is actually there. I do hope they figure it out fast so you can enjoy your journey.

Kazu, did you see us on the webcam at Gatun this morning? What a fantastic experience!!! Loving the cruise, in spite of flush probs! Would do it all again in a heartbeat - and hopefully will be able to afford it again one day:D Met some great people, hooked up with Sapper and her DH, and all the rest of our roll call are a friendly bunch.

we did indeed see you at Gatun. Isn't it great:D I didn't understand what all the fuss was about the panama until I went:) I'm sure you and Sapper are having a great time:)

Hi startwin, thanks for checking in :)

Actually up till recently none of the Vista Class ships had the "Day of the Week" inside of the elevator. It was not till the Oosterdam started to replace all of the carpeting thru out the whole ship that at the end they placed the day of the week in all of her elevators. Zuiderdam is set to get new carpeting when she goes to Dry Dock December 1st this year. Although if it is similiar to how they did it for the Oosterdam it will be another 4 weeks after Dry Dock they are still on board installing the new carpeting. Although that would take it thru the Holidays and I will tend to think that will be a priority so hopefully it will be done during Dry Dock:)

Looking forward to hearing about the massive Big Meet and Greet in the Crow's Nest tomorrow. With the expected attendence to be 170+

I am sorry to hear about some of the problems at the front desk but you have a Excellent Hotel Manager that enjoys talking to CC Members that just came on a few days ago that can hopefully get everything running very smooth in the next few days ;)

On my Noordam cruise, March 26 to April 11, it did not have "Day of the Week" mats in any elevators! ;)

I agree....I expect the plumbing to work in my cabin and the AC. I'm easy to please but those need to be working.

BruceMuzz: Startwin is not a first time cruiser and although it could have been because of a passenger on prior to her guilty of throwing something into the toilet, it is expected to have the issue resolved quickly not have to threat to scream bloody murder in the lobby to have it fixed.

We have a deposit for this ship for 22 nights in April 2013 and if there are continued posts about the issues of AC & plumbing in the cabins not working properly we will cancel and book another ship. I'm not prepared to have a toilet in my cabin not work and have to go downstairs somewhere to find one-that is unrealistic.

If I were you, I would indeed cancel & book another ship! ;) I would suggest the Noordam, on which I recently cruised, where the a/c in my (interior) stateroom kept it well chilled, to my satisfaction, & there were no plumbing issues either! :)

If I were you, I would indeed cancel & book another ship! ;) I would suggest the Noordam, on which I recently cruised, where the a/c in my (interior) stateroom kept it well chilled, to my satisfaction, & there were no plumbing issues either! :)

I really don't think that is fair to categorize this ship in such a way. The only ship I've sailed that had a problem with plumbing was actually the Noordam. So to say a ship is a problem when only a handful of people have had a problem is just wrong. True, I would not be happy if it were me, but there is a very small percentage of those who sail who post on CC and of that small group, only a very small percentage of those have had an issue, most of which have been solved quickly. I was just on the Z and had no AC or plumbing problems.

you know, funny you should say that because the Noordam was my next choice-and it just might happen if we can swing it! :)

We now have a collection of complimentary bottles of wine, chocolate covered strawberries, free Pinnacle Grill dinners, and all I want is a reliable toilet, LOL. But we have now gone 8 hours with flushes = YAY! - albeit delayed ones. Fingers crossed everyone, we may finally be on the right track.

We now have a collection of complimentary bottles of wine, chocolate covered strawberries, free Pinnacle Grill dinners, and all I want is a reliable toilet, LOL. But we have now gone 8 hours with flushes = YAY! - albeit delayed ones. Fingers crossed everyone, we may finally be on the right track.

Enjoy the gifts.

Hopefully the remainder of your cruise will be problem free.

At least they are trying to do something to 'make up' to you. Enjoy everyone of those gifts as you have actually 'earned' them;)

My fingers are crossed for you for a working toilet and smooth seas:)

I hope the positive trend continues, and you enjoy the rest of your cruise without incident!

Enjoy all your gifts.

Sure hope that toilet stays fixed.

Startwin, I have been following this thread and appreciate the information (good and bad ;)) and would like to ask a question. You have one of the coveted extra large balconies. The cabin next to you also has the large balcony, cabin 4164. Can the balcony doors between these 2 cabins be opened?

Thanks and hopefully your toilet continues to work :D.

Startwin, I have been following this thread and appreciate the information (good and bad ;)) and would like to ask a question. You have one of the coveted extra large balconies. The cabin next to you also has the large balcony, cabin 4164. Can the balcony doors between these 2 cabins be opened?

Thanks and hopefully your toilet continues to work :D.

Yes, I believe they can. If you have a choice between the two cabins, go for 4166 - there is nothing to the one side of it, whereas 4164 hass the ice machine in the room next door, so there is a bit of noise. It's a great location - and we managed to get a lounger for the deck as well.

Happy to report a fully-functioning toilet today:) and keeping everything crossed that it continues that way.:D

I will be on a 4-day Pacific Coastal cruise on the Zuiderdam next week.

These reports of problems with A/C and toilets are very alarming.

I have been on one other HAL cruise, on the Noordam. We had plumbing problems on the first night on ship.

I will be traveling with 5 other "die hard" Princess fans. I sure hope HAL gets the problems under control or I will never convince my friends to sail on HAL again.

Keep your fingers crossed.:D

I will be on a 4-day Pacific Coastal cruise on the Zuiderdam next week.

These reports of problems with A/C and toilets are very alarming.

I have been on one other HAL cruise, on the Noordam. We had plumbing problems on the first night on ship.

I will be traveling with 5 other "die hard" Princess fans. I sure hope HAL gets the problems under control or I will never convince my friends to sail on HAL again.

Keep your fingers crossed.:D

We too will be on the ship for the 4-day cruise along with 6 of my cousins-I think startwin will have the ship all in order by the time we are on there:D

Archived