Rep. rting In From the Zuiderdam

startwin

John, :)

Since our first cruise ever on HAL, many moons ago, we have seen notice behind every toilet.

However, it seems that notice is not doing the trick.

If there are so many blockages, ship to ship, being blamed on inappropriate things being flushed, then maybe HAL (all cruise lines ?) need to make a more bold statement and draw full attention to the sign. Seems many people don't see it or don't take it seriously enough.

Isn't it worth trying a bit harder to get cooperation?

Maybe a card on the bathroom counter?

Maybe a letter on the desk when everyone boards?

Maybe a red letter, bold, impossible to miss sign.

What is there now is tasteful and 'blends' into the wall tile........

Maybe it would be better if written in bold, bright red letters and promise of a fine for causing a blockage? :eek:

If what is being done isn't working, it would seem possible something different should be tried. IMO

I wonder how many chocolate strawberries, bottles of wine and Pinnacle dinners are handed out fleetwide in any given week.

Would bolder signs cost that much?

With the lid up the sign is covered. It might work better having the sign under the lid of the toilet, so that when it is raised, it can be read.

I've been debating whether I wanted to post some thoughts or not, and where to post them...since hypercafe opened the door I'm going to put on my suit of armor and proceed...:(

I'm having a difficult time understanding some of the visceral responses to reports of plumbing and/or air conditioning problems on the Zuiderdam. As a first time HAL passenger but an experienced cruiser, I have turned to this board for information and tips about our long-anticipated Panama Canal cruise on HAL in November.

I certainly realize that mechanical problems can occur on a ship at any time, and I accept that as part of the equation when I decide to cruise. I have experienced some minor problems several times on a ship, and those problems were repaired promptly and in no way impacted my enjoyment of my vacation. However, I haven't experienced problems of the magnitude being reported on the current Zuiderdam cruise, and that has me concerned.

I'm reading everything that's posted trying to make an informed decision, and in the process of commenting on various threads I have been called a HAL hater (I hardly think I would be paying for a Deluxe Suite if I hated HAL), I have been told to get lost, and I have been told I'm unrealistic to expect functioning plumbing and air conditioning for my cruise fare.

In 12 years on Cruise Critic I have gained a wealth of knowledge, tips, and advice, and I try to "pay it forward" whenever possible. My husband and I probably fell in love with cruising in part because of the great advice we got on this site as well as the wonderful people I met on roll calls. I think I have also developed a pretty good "BS Meter" for posts that I can dismiss as invalid or exaggerated...the live posts from the Zuiderdam don't strike me as exaggerated. Long-time cruisers and posters on a specific line's forum don't have any reason to paint a bleak picture.

My point is this...the Zuiderdam appears to have some recurring problems with two major systems. The purpose of Cruise Critic is to discuss cruises and ships. Let's respect the opinions of the posters who are currently on the ship, the previous cruisers who loved every minute of their cruise, the previous cruisers who hated every minute of their cruise, and those of us who have yet to cruise HAL but are trying to soak up all the information we can. I come here to learn and I value the opinions of experienced HAL cruisers very much. I just wish this discussion could continue without people being jumped on for stating their experiences or opinions.

I've been debating whether I wanted to post some thoughts or not, and where to post them...since hypercafe opened the door I'm going to put on my suit of armor and proceed...:(

I'm having a difficult time understanding some of the visceral responses to reports of plumbing and/or air conditioning problems on the Zuiderdam. As a first time HAL passenger but an experienced cruiser, I have turned to this board for information and tips about our long-anticipated Panama Canal cruise on HAL in November.

I certainly realize that mechanical problems can occur on a ship at any time, and I accept that as part of the equation when I decide to cruise. I have experienced some minor problems several times on a ship, and those problems were repaired promptly and in no way impacted my enjoyment of my vacation. However, I haven't experienced problems of the magnitude being reported on the current Zuiderdam cruise, and that has me concerned.

I'm reading everything that's posted trying to make an informed decision, and in the process of commenting on various threads I have been called a HAL hater (I hardly think I would be paying for a Deluxe Suite if I hated HAL), I have been told to get lost, and I have been told I'm unrealistic to expect functioning plumbing and air conditioning for my cruise fare.

In 12 years on Cruise Critic I have gained a wealth of knowledge, tips, and advice, and I try to "pay it forward" whenever possible. My husband and I probably fell in love with cruising in part because of the great advice we got on this site as well as the wonderful people I met on roll calls. I think I have also developed a pretty good "BS Meter" for posts that I can dismiss as invalid or exaggerated...the live posts from the Zuiderdam don't strike me as exaggerated. Long-time cruisers and posters on a specific line's forum don't have any reason to paint a bleak picture.

My point is this...the Zuiderdam appears to have some recurring problems with two major systems. The purpose of Cruise Critic is to discuss cruises and ships. Let's respect the opinions of the posters who are currently on the ship, the previous cruisers who loved every minute of their cruise, the previous cruisers who hated every minute of their cruise, and those of us who have yet to cruise HAL but are trying to soak up all the information we can. I come here to learn and I value the opinions of experienced HAL cruisers very much. I just wish this discussion could continue without people being jumped on for stating their experiences or opinions.

Well said and thank you for trying to bring back a certain level of civility.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

SMILE - it is considered to be good exercise for your face.

With the lid up the sign is covered. It might work better having the sign under the lid of the toilet, so that when it is raised, it can be read.

You need to read this warning when the lid is down. When it is up, it might already be too late. Of course, women might approach this from a different angle than men do.:rolleyes:

very well said:)

Thank you!

i've been debating whether i wanted to post some thoughts or not, and where to post them...since hypercafe opened the door i'm going to put on my suit of armor and proceed...:(

i'm having a difficult time understanding some of the visceral responses to reports of plumbing and/or air conditioning problems on the zuiderdam. As a first time hal passenger but an experienced cruiser, i have turned to this board for information and tips about our long-anticipated panama canal cruise on hal in november.

i certainly realize that mechanical problems can occur on a ship at any time, and i accept that as part of the equation when i decide to cruise. I have experienced some minor problems several times on a ship, and those problems were repaired promptly and in no way impacted my enjoyment of my vacation. However, i haven't experienced problems of the magnitude being reported on the current zuiderdam cruise, and that has me concerned.

i'm reading everything that's posted trying to make an informed decision, and in the process of commenting on various threads i have been called a hal hater (i hardly think i would be paying for a deluxe suite if i hated hal), i have been told to get lost, and i have been told i'm unrealistic to expect functioning plumbing and air conditioning for my cruise fare.

in 12 years on cruise critic i have gained a wealth of knowledge, tips, and advice, and i try to "pay it forward" whenever possible. My husband and i probably fell in love with cruising in part because of the great advice we got on this site as well as the wonderful people i met on roll calls. I think i have also developed a pretty good "bs meter" for posts that i can dismiss as invalid or exaggerated...the live posts from the zuiderdam don't strike me as exaggerated. Long-time cruisers and posters on a specific line's forum don't have any reason to paint a bleak picture.

my point is this...the zuiderdam appears to have some recurring problems with two major systems. The purpose of cruise critic is to discuss cruises and ships. Let's respect the opinions of the posters who are currently on the ship, the previous cruisers who loved every minute of their cruise, the previous cruisers who hated every minute of their cruise, and those of us who have yet to cruise hal but are trying to soak up all the information we can. I come here to learn and i value the opinions of experienced hal cruisers very much. I just wish this discussion could continue without people being jumped on for stating their experiences or opinions.

amen!

I just want to put my two cents in having disembarked the Zui on 9 April. First off, there were no significant toilet issues aboard the ship that I, or our CC group noticed. We did hear of some AC issues, however most seemed to get resolved to the passengers satisfaction. However, I personally observed some physical problems aboard ship, that prompted me to snap a few photos, which I shared with the CEO Stein Kruse by letter, after I returned. I provided the specific conditions that I personally observed, and limited my comments to that realm. I received not one, but two acknowledgements of receipt of my correspondence and a response within six business days. I can assure you, that response was both positive and professional. I would suggest any passenger who has specific issues with the ship's physical plant that can't be successsfully addressed onboard, simply write to the CEO, and share their specific information.

Startwin, I have been following this thread and appreciate the information (good and bad ;)) and would like to ask a question. You have one of the coveted extra large balconies. The cabin next to you also has the large balcony, cabin 4164. Can the balcony doors between these 2 cabins be opened?

Thanks and hopefully your toilet continues to work :D.

Yes, we're in 4164 next to Startwin. We stuck a piece of cardboard in the door as a shim. Without it the door banged and rattled very loudly.

The balcony is awesome! Too bad we're getting off today :(

While catching up on this thread, a thought went through my mind .. of all of the near 140 posts in just this thread, only 2, perhaps 3, who posted actually were having problems on this ship, on this cruise. There really wasn't a huge number of complaints, only as they related to past cruises and often not even on the Zuiderdam. Just saying. I think when people read a post that goes on and on about a problem, they tend to think it's a widespread one. Despite the fact that it's been reported (unsubstantiated) that 60% of the cabins didn't have toilets, we still don't know for sure, or for how long.

While catching up on this thread, a thought went through my mind .. of all of the near 140 posts in just this thread, only 2, perhaps 3, who posted actually were having problems on this ship, on this cruise. There really wasn't a huge number of complaints, only as they related to past cruises and often not even on the Zuiderdam. Just saying. I think when people read a post that goes on and on about a problem, they tend to think it's a widespread one. Despite the fact that it's been reported (unsubstantiated) that 60% of the cabins didn't have toilets, we still don't know for sure, or for how long.

As someone who is still aboard I can verify that most of the ship was without working toilets for a night and a day. This was announced on the PA and our patience was requested. The captain later announced that one pump had to be replaced and another repaired. Our toilet has worked well since but there are others who are hit and miss.

The day long AC outage was a planned and pre announced outage so that the system could be repaired. It was a misesrable day and evening for most and we could not go to the dining room as it was just too hot. We ate out on the back deck and extra table and chairs were set up out there as well.

Our AC has worked fine all the cruise but I know of others who have had problems.

In spite of the difficulties, we are having a very good time. The CC group is just great and the crew are so attentive and helpful. They are constantly cleaning and polishing and although the Zuiderdam is showing signs of wear she is still a lovely ship and we would sail on her again----maybe just not to the Panama Canal, where the heat is so intense and AC is ultra important.

You may feel my report is unsubstantiated but I guess enough people will believe me.

As someone who is still aboard I can verify that most of the ship was without working toilets for a night and a day. This was announced on the PA and our patience was requested. The captain later announced that one pump had to be replaced and another repaired. Our toilet has worked well since but there are others who are hit and miss.

The day long AC outage was a planned and pre announced outage so that the system could be repaired. It was a misesrable day and evening for most and we could not go to the dining room as it was just too hot. We ate out on the back deck and extra table and chairs were set up out there as well.

Our AC has worked fine all the cruise but I know of others who have had problems.

In spite of the difficulties, we are having a very good time. The CC group is just great and the crew are so attentive and helpful. They are constantly cleaning and polishing and although the Zuiderdam is showing signs of wear she is still a lovely ship and we would sail on her again----maybe just not to the Panama Canal, where the heat is so intense and AC is ultra important.

You may feel my report is unsubstantiated but I guess enough people will believe me.

Thanks for checking in Sapper. You wouldn't beleive what has been said in another thread about posters who are on the Z. It's been amazing and I think some folks should be ashamed of themselves. I think the thread has been sanitized. Karma is a b**** and I hope some don't find that out. Enjoy the remaining days.

Thanks for checking in Sapper. You wouldn't beleive what has been said in another thread about posters who are on the Z. It's been amazing and I think some folks should be ashamed of themselves. I think the thread has been sanitized. Karma is a b**** and I hope some don't find that out. Enjoy the remaining days.

There are some people who should be ashamed of themselves ALOT on here, and in fact almost every time someone says something negative about thier own experience on HAL. Its a shame. You are so very right! Karma is not a nice lady! :)

Thank you Sapper for giving us details as to what has been happening.

Thanks for taking time from your vacation to post for us, Sapper.

I'm a bit amused about the Captain saying thanks for patience when the toilets were out for hours. I know he was being courteous and the crew was doing their best to get it fixed as quickly as possible but it isn't like all of us don't need toilets when we need toilets. I'm not sure even the person with award winning measure of patience can oblige in circumstance when there is a 'need'. :eek: Not like it is voluntary. :)

Hope the remainder of your cruise is wonderful.

Travel home safely.

I believe you. I don't know what's going on at HAL, but we're going to give Celebrity a try. I can't even believe I am saying that. Our first cruise was on the Z and it was perfect. I don't know what's going on now, but it's not good. I also don't know if it's on all HAL ships, but the Z has issues. The cruise was not worth 8k, that's for sure.

Like you, we had a nice time. It was a vacation, but I think HAL needs to step up to the plate and fix these issues before they keep booking passengers. Our air went from cold to pretty uncomfortable. I know things break. It happens. I am just disappointed we spent so much money on this trip and came away feeling like it wasn't worth the money. The crew was fabulous. They were what made the trip wonderful. Always smiling. Always cleaning. For what we spent, there's a whole lot of other places we can visit and that's what we plan on doing. The only way HAL is going to pay attention is if we take our vacation dollars elsewhere, and that's what we are going to do. It breaks my heart because we love HAL. It was like going home. We knew the drill. We hate changes.

Twinkletoes, I've been thinking along the same line. It's easy for us to take Celebrity out of New Jersey. I have a cruise booked on Veendam, but might just reconsider the one on Ryndam for the winter since I'm not reading such good things about her either. Hal needs to step up to the plate and take care of these issues if it wants us to continue cruising her ships.

Thanks for the update Sapper - neither your word nor startwin's was ever in doubt as far as I was concerned:) I suspect your cruise is over - travel safely (and hopefully with a working toilet on the plane;))

Twinkletoes, I've been thinking along the same line. It's easy for us to take Celebrity out of New Jersey. I have a cruise booked on Veendam, but might just reconsider the one on Ryndam for the winter since I'm not reading such good things about her either. Hal needs to step up to the plate and take care of these issues if it wants us to continue cruising her ships.

If you do try Celebrity, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I know they offer a similar product. Another poster here that I keep in touch with loves Celebrity. I don't blame you for being concerned. There's just too many comments about issues to ignore.

Happy Cruising! :)

If you do try Celebrity, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I know they offer a similar product. Another poster here that I keep in touch with loves Celebrity. I don't blame you for being concerned. There's just too many comments about issues to ignore.

Happy Cruising! :)

We are trying both HAL and Celebrity in the next 16 months...Hal is this coming November, and the Celebrity cruise is a 9-night Pacific Coastal wine cruise that we're really excited about.

I want to join in the thanks to the posters who took/are taking time out of their vacation to post from the ship! It's greatly appreciated!

I join with other posters in thanking you for your well-thought-out and balanced approach to the recurring Zuiderdam postings. We are also on the November Zuiderdam Panama cruise (Sunfarer, departure Nov. 9th I think). Is that yours too?

I join with other posters in thanking you for your well-thought-out and balanced approach to the recurring Zuiderdam postings. We are also on the November Zuiderdam Panama cruise (Sunfarer, departure Nov. 9th I think). Is that yours too?

No, we're cruising on the 19th. We thought about the 9th, but we really want to be on a cruise for our 25th anniversary on the 28th.

We're still trying to decide if we'll keep the Zuiderdam reservation or go to the Southern Caribbean on the Noordam on the 26th. We REALLY want the Panama Canal itinerary, but if the ship is still having widespread plumbing or air conditioning issues we may save it for another time. I'd like to make a decision one way or another by the end of June at the latest.

Archived