Formal night in blu?

From whom? Corporate doesn't even seem to be able to get it straight.

You are so right! I posted several comments in a similar thread shortly after Thanksgiving when I was on Eclipse. Despite the smart casual rule in Blu being shown in writing to Marcel, the maitre d in Blu, he insisted on trying to get men to wear or at least carry jackets on formal night. I saw at least one unpleasant altercation with a passenger dressed in fine smart casual attire who stormed out very upset to eat in the buffet upstairs. My description of the incident was even posted by someone on the Celebrity Facebook page before it was pulled down within a day or so. I would think by this time Marcel would have been properly instructed regarding the rules, but from reading this thread it sounds like he still keeps his supply of jackets in the closet and continues to upset passengers on formal nights by telling them they are not properly dressed and to please go back to their cabin and get a jacket or wear one of the used jackets in his closet. Why in the world doesn't Celebrity put a stop to this???

You are so right! I posted several comments in a similar thread shortly after Thanksgiving when I was on Eclipse. Despite the smart casual rule in Blu being shown in writing to Marcel, the maitre d in Blu, he insisted on trying to get men to wear or at least carry jackets on formal night. I saw at least one unpleasant altercation with a passenger dressed in fine smart casual attire who stormed out very upset to eat in the buffet upstairs. My description of the incident was even posted by someone on the Celebrity Facebook page before it was pulled down within a day or so. I would think by this time Marcel would have been properly instructed regarding the rules, but from reading this thread it sounds like he still keeps his supply of jackets in the closet and continues to upset passengers on formal nights by telling them they are not properly dressed and to please go back to their cabin and get a jacket or wear one of the used jackets in his closet. Why in the world doesn't Celebrity put a stop to this???

Maitre d' sounds like he needs customer relations training as well as policy training; even if formal attire WERE required in Blu on Formal Nights, it would still be bad judgement (IMO) to alienate a smartly-dressed, insistent customer because he lacked a suitjacket.

Oh yes, definitely. I was in my suit during dinner but changed into khakis and a short sleeve polo shirt after dinner, and was asked by a polite yet snooty Celebrity employee to please observe the evening dress code for the theater.....

No loss really since I had a great time at the Sunset bar with several mojitos and a few new friends :)

Hope you informed that snooty Celebrity employee that you were indeed observing the evening dress code for the theater.

It is too bad you did not get the person's name and immediately contact the Hotel Director to report the incident. Even if you felt it was no loss to you, preventing a future occurrence would have been a favor to the next passenger who found himself in a similar situation.

The same for the poster who had the problem with the ignorant employee in Blu.

Why in the world doesn't Celebrity put a stop to this???
Because they are probably unaware that is even occurring. The Hotel Director most likely would have put a stop to it right away if s/he had been informed of what was happening.

They do not want their employees to be violating company policy and antagonizing their paying customers (or "guests" as they like to call us).

• 4 months later...
I am a first time cruiser. We have booked a cabin in Aqua class aboard the Equinox. Do you dress for Blu on formal nights. Thanks!

F-O-R-M-A-L NIGHT! THE WHOLE SHIP - THE WHOLE NIGHT - NO MATTER WHAT RESTAURANT YOU ARE EATING IN. (They let those that do not know how to dress eat in the buffet area) BUT THAT IS NOT REALLY CORRECT. FORMAL NIGHT 'MEANS' THE WHOLE SHIP THE WHOLE NIGHT. WE ALWAYS EAT IN BLU AND WE ALWAYS DRESS FORMAL ON FORMAL NIGHTS - THIS INCLUDES TUX. :D

Hope you informed that snooty Celebrity employee that you were indeed observing the evening dress code for the theater.

It is too bad you did not get the person's name and immediately contact the Hotel Director to report the incident. Even if you felt it was no loss to you, preventing a future occurrence would have been a favor to the next passenger who found himself in a similar situation.

The same for the poster who had the problem with the ignorant employee in Blu.

Because they are probably unaware that is even occurring. The Hotel Director most likely would have put a stop to it right away if s/he had been informed of what was happening.

They do not want their employees to be violating company policy and antagonizing their paying customers (or "guests" as they like to call us).

You ARE suppose to stay dressed for the evening. It is Formal NIGHT! Not Formal Dinner.;)

Maitre d' sounds like he needs customer relations training as well as policy training; even if formal attire WERE required in Blu on Formal Nights, it would still be bad judgement (IMO) to alienate a smartly-dressed, insistent customer because he lacked a suitjacket.

I think that Celebrity is RIGHT - IF people do not know how to dress - after it is clearly written out for them, they should NOT be allowed in the restauants!

You can't fix stupid!n It is THEIR ship - THEY get to make the rules, if someone does not like their rules, pick a ship where they like the rules.:eek:

In December 2011, shortly after the policy change in Blu, most men were in suits and or sport jackets on both formal nights. DH wore dark suit with tie first formal night and without tie on 2 nd formal night. Only saw one group in jeans (and they were in their 20s).

Why without a tie on FORMAL NIGHT????:eek::eek::eek:

F-O-R-M-A-L NIGHT! THE WHOLE SHIP - THE WHOLE NIGHT - NO MATTER WHAT RESTAURANT YOU ARE EATING IN. (They let those that do not know how to dress eat in the buffet area) BUT THAT IS NOT REALLY CORRECT. FORMAL NIGHT 'MEANS' THE WHOLE SHIP THE WHOLE NIGHT. WE ALWAYS EAT IN BLU AND WE ALWAYS DRESS FORMAL ON FORMAL NIGHTS - THIS INCLUDES TUX. :D

You are completely wrong. Formal night applies only to the MDR....those eating in any of the specialty restaurants or Blu follow the smart casual dress code. There is no requirement that you remain in your formal wear for the entire evening. You really need to read the policy rather than apparently guessing.....

To the poster who asked about dress code in Blu, it is smart casual on every night. If I were handed a jacket by the maitre d, I'd just drop it on the floor and continue to my table. If he had a problem with that, I'd suggest he bring his boss to the table. I have no idea who Marcel is, but I'll be on the Eclipse TA in aqua so we may get to meet...and that meeting may be in the head of the hotels' office if he tries to force a jacket on me. I am quite comfortable eating in nice smart casual in Blu on formal night and I am not alone.

You are completely wrong. Formal night applies only to the MDR....those eating in any of the specialty restaurants or Blu follow the smart casual dress code. There is not even the suggestion that you remain in your formal wear for the entire evening.

You really need to read the policy rather than apparently guessing.....

To the poster who asked about dress code in Blu, it is smart casual on every night. If I were handed a jacket by the maitre d, I'd just drop it on the floor and continue to my table. If had a problem with that, I'd suggest he bring his boss to the table. I have no idea who Marcel is, but I'll be on the Eclipse TA in aqua so we may get to meet...and that meeting may be in the head of the hotels' office if he tries to force a jacket on me.

You are so right and Seablu so wrong. However, Seablu resurrected this thread from early May and who knows why.

You ARE suppose to stay dressed for the evening. It is Formal NIGHT! Not Formal Dinner.;)

Oh, dear. I would like to gently guide you to the Celebrity guidelines:

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code at Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

On Celebrity Cruises, Formal is required in MDR, no where else, there are some lines that celebrate formal night throughout the ship, but Celebrity is not one of them, that's the simple fact, no emotions involved. :)

Wish there was a Sticky for this :D

Please educate yourself before posting outright lies and misinformation. MDR only now for formal and has been for a while now :rolleyes:

Oh yes, definitely. I was in my suit during dinner but changed into khakis and a short sleeve polo shirt after dinner, and was asked by a polite yet snooty Celebrity employee to please observe the evening dress code for the theater.

No loss really since I had a great time at the Sunset bar with several mojitos and a few new friends :)

On the summit last February those no longer in formal dress (my husband changed after dinner too) were asked to sit on the upper level .no big deal, but we were a little surprised.

Is there a cost for the suit jacket in the MDR on formal night if you dont have one and they hand it to you? Do you think they clean it after a customer wears it? Do the men wear it during the entire dinner or take it off and put on back of chair. Only saw this once at an upscale rest. in Jamaica.

Are you joking or are you really that misinformed? :confused::eek:

For a while now formal night has ONLY applied to the main dining room and nowhere else on the ship.

Is there a cost for the suit jacket in the MDR on formal night if you dont have one and they hand it to you? Do you think they clean it after a customer wears it? Do the men wear it during the entire dinner or take it off and put on back of chair. Only saw this once at an upscale rest. in Jamaica.

There is no charge for the lender; I do not know how frequently they are cleaned but would be surprised if they are cleaned after every use. I would presume the expectation is that one leave the jacket on while seated (otherwise what would be the point of being handed the jacket); it is doubtful that this would be enforced though.

Sorry, YOU"RE WRONG!

Wasn't that fun!

SeaBlu may be reading the attire guides posted on Celebrity ships right now! Just off the Solstice and the attire guides that formal attire on Formal Night also applies to Murano!!!! Maybe that used to be the case?

That's interesting and against Celebrity policy. She is referring to what used to be the dress code until about 5 yrs ago when it applied all over the ship for the entire evening.

• 2 months later...

Having just returned (last week) from 25 days on the Silhouette I can assure all readers that Seablu it absolutely wrong. The dress code (not really enforced) on formal nights only applies to the MDR. The cruise director on our cruise (the lovely Lisa) did try to extend that formal dress code to the shows in the theater but it was not enforced. As to Blu (and the other alternative restaurants) the dress code on formal nights (and all other nights) is Smart Casual (you can also find this info on the Celebrity web site). Ok..so now lets get to the real facts. We spent 10 nights in the MDR and 13 nights in Blu (we did dine in both Qsine and Murano during the cruise). In Blu on formal nights a majority of the folks were in formal or something close to formal (most men wore jackets). It was the same in Murano and the Tuscan Grill (we could see the diners as we entered and left Blu) and it appeared that those in Qsine were a little less formal. If you chose to dress smart casual you would have clearly been in the minority....but you would certainly be within your rights. But, if you followed the rules set forth by the "lovely" Lisa (the cruise director) you would have been wrong to go to either of the shows in the main theater on the formal nights unless you were in formal wear.

Now, what I posted is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth as it applies to the Silhouette from Oct 22 - Nov 22.

Hank

Part of SeaBlu's confusion clearly lies within the inconsistency of Celebrity's message, (coupled with the likely fact that she has probably never cruised with Celebrity, or if she has, not in a very long time). In addition, the next time anyone is on the Solstice (or any ship), check on the on-screen guide on your TV and look up the dress code information. Just 3 months ago it did indeed (incorrectly) state that Murano was formal on formal nights!

To let you know our experience (without taking sides) : We were on Solstice Oct. 26 in AQ - long repo cruise with corresponding passenger demographics. We knew about non formal dress code in Blu, however DH took dark suit as a compromise as I like to dress up once in a while and he does not like to wear suits or jackets if not necessary and particularly not when it is warm.

He confirmed with Maitre D of Blu that no jackets were required during formal nights and went without on 2nd formal night but in long sleeved white shirt. He was one of the few men without jacket (plenty of tuxes) and decided to put on his jacket again for 3rd formal night.

He had no issues going anywhere on the ship in his shirtsleeves, incl. theatre during the formal night.

To let you know our experience (without taking sides) : We were on Solstice Oct. 26 in AQ - long repo cruise with corresponding passenger demographics. We knew about non formal dress code in Blu, however DH took dark suit as a compromise as I like to dress up once in a while and he does not like to wear suits or jackets if not necessary and particularly not when it is warm.

He confirmed with Maitre D of Blu that no jackets were required during formal nights and went without on 2nd formal night but in long sleeved white shirt. He was one of the few men without jacket (plenty of tuxes) and decided to put on his jacket again for 3rd formal night.

He had no issues going anywhere on the ship in his shirtsleeves, incl. theatre during the formal night.

I would suggest that perhaps itinerary and climate also comes in to play. Last winter on Summit, very few true formal diners in Blu, even according to Celebrity's very generous definition of formal. Add to that the Maitre'd was very quick to let us know that formal was NOT required on the formal night in Blu, I'm thinking that at least on the 7 day Southern Caribbean routes our of San Juan, smart casual in Blu and specialties is a welcome thing...

For complete openness, it is most certainly a welcome thing for us - it is worth the extra dollars not to have to dress up - previously, we did specialty restaurants for this, but honestly the food was just too heavy and we left feeling bloated. For us, totally worth the extra couple hundred bucks per trip. But that's just for us.

Part of SeaBlu's confusion clearly lies within the inconsistency of Celebrity's message, (coupled with the likely fact that she has probably never cruised with Celebrity, or if she has, not in a very long time). In addition, the next time anyone is on the Solstice (or any ship), check on the on-screen guide on your TV and look up the dress code information. Just 3 months ago it did indeed (incorrectly) state that Murano was formal on formal nights!

Ahhhhh. You have hit upon one of my major issues with travel agents and folks in that industry. Most TAs spend a good part of their lives in offices as basic order takers. Some are well trained (like the old MCC program) but most are not! One wonderful facet to CC is that folks can read thoughts, opinions and advice from real travelers....not simply order takers. When we make a statement such as our post about formal nights on X, it is not a statement based on a book, article, rumor etc. It is simply a fact based on our personal experience (which we normally cite to establish credibility).

The internet has really changed the travel/cruise industry. As an example, in the year 2012 DW and I will have spent 101 days on various cruise ships (as passengers) and yet, we have not spoken to a single TA when we booked those cruises. . All of our cruises (this year) were simply booked online with a few clicks of the mouse. At one point I had to clarify an issue (after booking) with a live TA (we usually book via large TAs because we can get the best deals) and the TA told me how excited she was to soon be going on her first cruise. And yet, some here on CC would have us believe that TAs are the "experts." We think not :)

Hank

Archived