Best transportation to Rome from Civitavecchia port

Hi Folks,

We are wondering what best transfer to Rome after disembarking at the Civitavecchia port (bus, train)?

Your suggestion/experience is great appreciated!

Thanks,

Virgin-Pinacolada

Everyone I asked on Equinox said to take the train. Easy and inexpensive..

Hi Folks,

We are wondering what best transfer to Rome after disembarking at the Civitavecchia port (bus, train)?

Thanks,

Virgin-Pinacolada

Hertz one way car rental $81.

Hi Folks,

Thanks,

Virgin-Pinacolada

Sorry I misread as airport to port, which requires a train transfer. However, I have driven all over Tuscany and Umbria with no problems.

Edited by dinosaurdem

Hi Folks,

Thanks,

Virgin-Pinacolada

On the Roll Call for your cruise, you can ask if there are people who would like to share a limo/bus to Rome. 8 people can split the charge, making it rather inexpensive. The train is a bit of a walk and it's a hassle to try to deal with luggage, I've read. When I was going to Rome, I used Claudio in Rome who has a great rep. He'll drop you all off at your hotels. Here's his website: http://www.limoinrome.com/index.php

PS He can arrange tours of the city also.

Edited by Wolfie469

On the Roll Call for your cruise, you can ask if there are people who would like to share a limo/bus to Rome. 8 people can split the charge, making it rather inexpensive. The train is a bit of a walk and it's a hassle to try to deal with luggage, I've read. When I was going to Rome, I used Claudio in Rome who has a great rep. He'll drop you all off at your hotels. Here's his website: http://www.limoinrome.com/index.php

PS He can arrange tours of the city also.

This worked for us. Ready to pick us up ahead of time - he drove a few to the airport and others to hotels & we split the cost.

Their night tour of Rome is also terrific!

Train station in Civitavecchia

If you plan to walk from the ship to the train station, count on an hour and a half or more.

The train station is a 15-20 minute walk from the Port Entrance. The port is huge and confusing. There is a free shuttle bus that runs between all the ships in port (remember there will be other ships) to the Port Entrance. It runs every 30 minutes, and it takes 15 minutes to get to the Port Entrance alone.

So, after you spend 10-15 minutes looking for your luggage in the mass confusion, 30 minutes waiting for the shuttle, 15 minutes riding around the port, 15 minutes walking the streets dragging your luggage to the train station and 5-10 minutes buying your train ticket - you're now up to about 90 minutes after you stepped off the ship but it didn't cost a cent.

civitavecchia.jpg

An alternative is to take a taxi from the Luggage Claim to the Train Station. It's a 15 minute ride. Make sure you tell the driver "Stazione di Civitavecchia" - otherwise he's going to make believe he doesn't understand English and take you to Rome. Better yet, write it down and show it to him. They will try to convince you that taking the train to Rome is not a good idea. They may even tell you the trains are on strike today. His goal is to get you to commit to an expensive ride to Rome. If you only want to go to "Stazione di Civitavecchia", insist that he uses the meter ("taxi metro"). That'll be the lowest fare.

The FR5 commuter trains ("Treno Regionale") run every half hour or so but are not luggage friendly. Seats are un-reserved. Through trains from the coast are more expensive, run about 90 minutes apart but have luggage racks.

ticketmachines.jpg

Buy your tickets at the window or by the vending machine ("Biglietto Veloce") with multi-language directions. Best way to buy at the window is to write out, in Italian, exactly what you want. A problem with Trenitalia not accepting non-Italian credit cards seems to have been corrected since November, 2010. All UK and US credit cards (except Discover and a few other oddballs) should now work. But you do carry two different credit cards, don't you?

ticketstamper.jpg

Make sure you validate your ticket in the yellow printer as you enter the platforms BEFORE getting on the train. The conductor will verify that you have done this. There are consequences if you don't. What depends on the conductor.

trainstation.jpg

Beware there are two track number ones in Civitavecchia. "Binario 1" is for through trains, "Tronco 1" is for trains terminating in Civitavecchia. Same goes for "Binario 2" and "Tronco 2". Those dead-end tracks are on the side of the station, the through tracks are on the back of the station. Regional trains make many stops and take 80 minutes to reach "Roma Termini". The Intercity trains take about 50 minutes and have two classes of seating, "1" for first class and "2" for second (economy). See the photo above, it shows a second class double-decker car.

tarquiniacourtyard.jpg

Palazzo Vitelleschi - Tarquinia, Italy

If you've been to Rome before and are doing a B2B, leaving the same day, consider taking the train up to Tarquinia, Italy for something different.

So don't underestimate the time it takes to get off the ship and get to the Civitavecchia train station.

Thanks kite wizard!

DZcruisers gave great photo instructions, however, I have to disagree with his time estimate, we've done this twice, & will do it again on our next trip, 30 minutes is about the maximum it should take you to get to the train station, & that's stretching it a bit.

You need to carry your luggage off the ship yourself, if you can't handle getting your own luggage off the ship, you certainly won't be able to get it on/off the train.

You load it onto a shuttle, which run almost continuously, both times we waited maybe five minutes to leave.

A cab to the station is not a bad idea, my kids did that when they went, I think it was around 10 Euros

The shuttle ride to the port entrance is 10 minutes, & that's a bit of a stretch.

It's a 15 minute walk from where the shuttle drops you off if you're really, really walking slowly.

For a time example, we've taken the 9:46 train from Rome to Civ., then the shuttle, & have been on the ship, drinking our champagne by 11:30 both times, it works out about the same going the other direction... just can't give exact times, as we just took the next available train on the way back.

It's not for everyone, but if you're able to do it, it's a really cheap way to travel, & get a little local atmosphere.

PS: DZ, thanks again for those great instructions, I'm going to bookmark them for folks on our rollcall... reminds me a bit of the Ron in Rome site.

Edited by cruise kitty

We have traveled this way and it certainly was inexoensive. Easy... Depends on the amount of luggage, your stamina and whether you are traveling with whiney kids. The walk from the station to the ship was not bad at all. We did take the taxi from the ship to the station, however.

We are booking our next cruise aboard the Equinox for the Sept. 24th sailing and will probably take the train again. This time sans enfants but still with plenty of luggage.

We used the train both ways for our cruise last year. We travelled from Florence on the day of departure and it was easier to get the ticket the whole way and was very cheap.

The walk from the station to the terminal gates was an easy walk as it was down hill. Arriving at the gates for the terminal it was a free-for-all. There were people throwing bags onto buses. There were only buses every half hour and some people with kids has been there for hours not managing to get on a shuttle bus. It was very hot and there are some very rude people around. There were at least 3 ships trying to depart on the same day.

To avoid this when we returned we booked a transfer from the ship to the station (booked at the tour desk). It was very civilised. We got the train back comfortably and we always stay near the Termini so we walked our cases to the hotel.

• 3 years later...

have done train from Rome to port about 3 years ago. easy and cheap. just watch out for gypsies..had a couple of girls grab my luggage as we were getting on in Rome and then wanted $ for their "help". Gave them a couple of Euros which they were unhappy with but I am 6 foot 4 230 lbs so they went away.

have also done day trips from port to rome on the train. important to remember to punch your ticket to show use. if you end up in rome with a ticket that is not punched they might think you are stealing a ride as ticket still valid. box machines on posts in station where you get your ticket punched.

hop on hop off bus in Rome is good. I do not normally like those things but this one hits all the major sites. there is also a bus line that does this but it is usually busy and as a tourist thing is targeted by pick pockets.

Here's another vote for Limo in Rome. Amazing company. We used them for transportation and tours. Had no problems filling either within our roll call. Also used them hotel to airport. Amazing company.

Note: wouldn't suggest the Rome at night tour. At night Rome is fairly dark. Then again I live in Las Vegas. Here nights are beautiful!

Judy

I was wondering if you used train from Port in Rome to Rome. My wife and I are returning from a cruise in May and than have a few days in Rome. Thanks from any help. USN Retired.

If you don't have a lot of luggage, the train will be fine, but be aware of the logistics. When you depart the ship, you have to take the port bus with all your luggage to the port entrance. The new port entrance has been moved due to construction. It used to be near Fort Michelangelo which is a few blocks walk to the train station. The new port entrance is about a mile or so from the train station, and really not walkable. You have to catch a local bus or try and get one of the taxis in the area to take you to the Civitavecchia station.

I was wondering if you used train from Port in Rome to Rome. My wife and I are returning from a cruise in May and than have a few days in Rome. Thanks from any help. USN Retired.

You're better off posting this question on the Italy Ports board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

We used Rome in Limo a few years ago to get to the airport and were happy with the service.

From Rome to the port we rode the train -- at that time it was only 5 Euros each - the train ride took about an hour. I'm sure you could ride the train to Rome just as easily.

DZcruisers gave great photo instructions, however, I have to disagree with his time estimate, we've done this twice, & will do it again on our next trip, 30 minutes is about the maximum it should take you to get to the train station, & that's stretching it a bit.

You need to carry your luggage off the ship yourself, if you can't handle getting your own luggage off the ship, you certainly won't be able to get it on/off the train.

You load it onto a shuttle, which run almost continuously, both times we waited maybe five minutes to leave.

A cab to the station is not a bad idea, my kids did that when they went, I think it was around 10 Euros

The shuttle ride to the port entrance is 10 minutes, & that's a bit of a stretch.

It's a 15 minute walk from where the shuttle drops you off if you're really, really walking slowly.

For a time example, we've taken the 9:46 train from Rome to Civ., then the shuttle, & have been on the ship, drinking our champagne by 11:30 both times, it works out about the same going the other direction... just can't give exact times, as we just took the next available train on the way back.

It's not for everyone, but if you're able to do it, it's a really cheap way to travel, & get a little local atmosphere.

PS: DZ, thanks again for those great instructions, I'm going to bookmark them for folks on our rollcall... reminds me a bit of the Ron in Rome site.

Also disagree with DZcruizers as you are not allowed to walk in the port area. The shuttle is fast and there is a second shuttle at the dropoff to the train. Whole thing about 30-40 minutes tops.

FWIW - using the ships rollcall to share a ride probably faster and certainly easier. We had about 25 private cars picking people up going ot airport last April for our cruise.

We were on the Oct. 2015 Reflection cruise leaving Civitavecchia. We used "All Transfers in Rome" for pick up at our Rome hotel to the port and then pick up at the port to Fiumicino Airport following the cruise. They were reliable and reasonably priced and used very nice 8 person Mercedes vans. We had 2 vans because we had 12 adults. They dropped us right at the ship and picked us up there on return. Some services drop you at the entrance to the port and you have to get on another shuttle to get to your ship. You can google or go to their name followed by .com.

We've taken the train twice, it's inexpensive but complicated.

You carry your luggage off the ship, load a bus which takes you to the port gate.

You then UNLOAD your luggage and que for another bus (a city bus I think).

A five minute ride gets you to the train station. You again unload your luggage and purchase tickets. The train ride is an adventure too, there isn't a lot of space for luggage, and God help you if you do not validate your ticket at the station BEFORE boarding the train.....

From the train station you again unload your luggage and make your way to the hotel.

Whew.

It's really not bad, but a lot of steps.

Our last trip a driver solicited us at the drop off and we took the ride all the way to our hotel, more money, yes, but a lot easier.

Still, the train ride is a lot of fun and a great experience!