is going on a cruise boring to you at some point>

netgear2020

Bored , nope , never. As long as I am on a ship I am happy. Love sea days , can do many in a row. We always have something to do, and if we want we can just sit and enjoy the beautiful ocean. A good book, a pool . Nice people . What more can you want. Excursions , you can take your pick , all kinds . Food , well , just more than you could possible want.

Cori

We have to admit that last yrs. cruise my dh and I looked at each other and said, "this is getting old!" I think that it was our state of mind at the time (our daughter had passed away suddenly and things looked different). Cruising is all of what you make it! You can't beat the price! If you go out to eat on land, you can appreciated the bargain in the meals served. Even though my husband plays in a rock band, we don't get to go out for entertainment alot. Going to Clubs or the Movies is very expensive. I think that when we said that, we were expecting something different on each cruise. All the cabins, except the high categories, are basicly the same. The schedules are all similar. We haven't been on as many cruises as some of you guys, maybe 10, but enough to know that there's not alot of difference.

I've only been on 45 cruises, have #46 booked for this October, #47 & #48 planned for January 2012, #49 planned for Alaska 2013 (my sixth time cruising there), and my big #50 planned for Fall 2013. Already planning on Jan/Feb 2014 too.

Bored? Nope. Not yet at least.

But to some there is a fine line between 'relaxing' and 'being bored'. I'll let you know after cruise #50 how I still feel about it! :D

P.S. If you DO find yourself getting bored, try to mix it up a bit. Take a port intensive itinerary out of San Juan or go on a different cruise line that you've never been on. I've been on Carnival, Princess, Cruise West, Holland-America, Cunard, Celebrity, NCL, and Royal Caribbean.

Try a cruise to the Panama Canal, Mexican Riviera, Canada/New England, or Bermuda. You can also do a Coastal repositioning cruise down the west coast that is pretty port intensive. NCL has one this year down the east coast that is amazing; starts in Quebec and ends in Tampa that hits a whole bunch of east coast cities on the way down.

Do a back-to-back combining two 5-night cruises on two different ships on two different cruise lines, or the same ship. I did that last year. It was a blast having two sail-away parties from Miami!

With so many changes over the years -- I hate to admit it - but the magic has gone out of cruising for us.

Even after twelve years in the US Navy (10 years of that were Sea Duty) and 45 cruises on passengers ships I still absolutely love being at sea.

On cruises now I do however find myself avoiding the things I personally don't care for like Formal Nights, the long drawn out dinners in the MDR, over energetic group participation events around the pool, and late night parties. For some folks these things enhance the cruise experience, to me they are just an annoyance.

I do tend to pick and choose my cruises very carefully now to avoid being bored or to find myself leaning towards admitting that the 'magic has gone'.

I hope that never happens to me. :(

Any time you have more than 2 - 3 sea days, I am bored out of my mind. Sort of eliminates most of the Pacific Ocean cruises for me then.

DON

Don,

You probably want to avoid most of the Atlantic and Indian Ocean cruises too.

We've been cruising for over 30years now. While cruising isn't boring, it didn't take us long to realize that cruising the Caribbean bores us out of our gourds. We've done 7 sea days in a row on trans-atlantic sailings without being bored, but the Caribbean... :eek:

I'd not call cruise travel boring, I suppose it depends on where you go and what you expect.

There are boring aspects of the cruise, like waiting in line at the customer service desk, or waiting to disembark once the cruise is over.

I do realize that what I consider relaxing may be boring to some, but given that I work 2 jobs and only have one day off per week, I love days at sea where I'm not having to do a thing. Sitting and reading is a pleasure, having a long leisurely lunch is wonderful. Taking a nap is pure heaven.

We've been cruising for over 30years now. While cruising isn't boring, it didn't take us long to realize that cruising the Caribbean bores us out of our gourds. We've done 7 sea days in a row on trans-atlantic sailings without being bored, but the Caribbean... :eek:

Last year I did the Caribbean again for the 'umpteenth time', a 10-nt B2B Western Caribbean on Celebrity Millennium. Again, like my cruise the year before that, I chose my vacation specifically for the ship, one that I would feel comfortable on for ten days and not get bored on. I certainly didn't pick the cruise for the ports of call of which I had little to no (can you say 'zero') interest in. It was a superb cruise. :D

Funny this is being brought up now. I'm considering booking a short break in September, but I can't help wondering if I'm going to go a little bonkers. I've been on a few cruises, so I know what to expect. Part of me needs to relax and let someone else take care of everything. I do like to be active, and I enjoy reading. I love looking out at the sea and eating ice cream whenever I want (well, I do that anyway). I'm just not really into the shows and games. And usually by the end of the cruise I'm ready to get off the ship. A short break should be good. I'm still deciding...

Funny this is being brought up now. I'm considering booking a short break in September... I'm still deciding...

A 4-nt (Mon-Fri) cruise would be a perfect short break. Just long enough to unwind but not so long you might get bored. I'd avoid the 3-nt (Fri-Mon) cruises as those tend to be a bit more active with the Weekend Warriors (party crowds) especially on NCL's Norwegian Sky which I've heard resembles the 'Jersey Shore' crowd. :eek:

I've only met one person in my life who was bored on a cruise, and he was a real snob. That being said, if you are the type of person who can't relax, and there ARE a few of you out there, you could possibly be bored sometimes.

For me, relaxing and watching the ocean go by is my greatest thrill in life; in fact, I'd go so far as to say it's my passion.

Ny husband and I did get a little bored on the "5 days at sea" on the Carnival Dream Transatlantic cruise we took in 2009. My husband said "there's just so many times you go to the art auction and play trivia. But guess what? We are taking the carnival Breeze transatlantic cruise this fall. But we'll have been in Turkey for two weeks and then Spain for 10 days so I know we'll be ready to relax. This time I'll have an iPad and Kindle loaded with books and many games. I'll also be more "forward" in talking to people and asking them to play games, join us for meals etc. We're retired and with the great prices on these crossings, it's a shame to pass them up if you have the time.

Much depends on the individual. For example, we just completed a 62 day cruise that had over 20 days at sea (and 31 ports in 13 countries) and we would have been happy to stay aboard for another 62 days. And this was on a small ship (Prinsendam) that has very few amenities when compared to most larger vessels. We never heard a single passenger (there were over 500 onboard for the entire cruise) complain about being bored. And one interesting statistic was that more then 450 of the passengers were 4 Star HA Mariners (200+ days of cruising with HA).

Hank

BORED? NEVER!! :D :D We love to cruise. After 30 cruises, we still act like a little kid on christmas morning just before our next cruise. We have started doing B2B cruises. We have also done some longer ones. We have done a 30 day cruise from San Diego to Hawaii, then to the South Pacific. On the way back, there were 6 straight sea days. For the first 4, the weather was great, and we soaked up the sun during the day by the pool, read, hung out with new friends, and had a great time. The last 2 days were chilly, so we did lots of inside ship things, and had to pack to go home. Had a wonderful time. We now look at the 7 night cruises, and they are not long enough! :eek: :eek: Going to Bermuda, and it is only 7 nights. Then, in Jan/13, we are doing Celebrity Eclipse 14 night, and thinking of adding another cruise before or after for a little more enjoyment! :D

Nope. But I am not hard to please. I simply love ships and being on the ocean. But I do like breaking up the time with port stops. I don't like more than 2 sea days in a row.
We get antsy with more than 2 sea days, too.

I go on cruises just to wind down. Wife and I both lead an active life on land, so for us a cruise ship is a perfect place to get away from phones and computers and just decompress. Give me a lounge chair by the adult pool, a good book, and my wife for companionship, and I'm good. The ship could just sail around in circles, and I could care less as long as they kept me well fed... and I wouldn't get a bit bored.

My boss is just the opposite. He plans his vacations to a T. What activities all will do, based on what he thinks they should enjoy, printed out on a published itenerary with every block of time plotted out like a military attack plan. His family has started making excuses not to join him on vacations because there is never an opportunity to relax. He'd be bored to tears on a cruise (but his family would probably have a great time.)

Umm, have you seen some of the signatures around here? If you are looking for people " bored" with cruising, you won't find them on CC;)

You got that right. I was thinking, if someone asked a question about being bored after 5-7th cruise, then maybe cruising is not for them. We have stopped counting after 45 cruises, sometimes we go just for the ship, sometimes we go for both ship and ports. It is never boring.

We have cruised on 9 different lines and to Europe, the Middle East, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, Mexico, south America and the Carribbean. We love Transatlantics and have done one transpacific.

With these many cruises we know how to make ourselves right at home on a ship. We have breakfast in our cabin, lunch on our balcony most days and sometimes skip dinner and simply dress for the evenings entertainment. We work out at the gym, get to know the staff on board, walk the main deck, taken in a movie, gamble a little, enjoy some cocktails, and simply enjoy being at sea.

Archived