Princess meet and greet procedure

CRUISEADIK

I'm new to CC, but began a roll call and have set up a M&G with Princess for our Aug 11-18 sailing to Alaska on Crown Princess. We went no-host and they say they'll try to have staff on hand, but if that doesn't happen, I'm looking for tips on how to get a party started among strangers.

Been on lots of cruises, many with private parties, but if none of the staff shows, what would make the event more enjoyable?

If anyone has had success in motivating strangers to branch out and mingle with the larger group (vs. staying within their own crowd), please let me know. Am considering a giveaway of some kind, just to encourage people to attend and provide a starting point for the party.

Thanks!

We have done a small gift exchange.

One addition - the person contacting Princess to arrange this must be the one who booked the cruise with Princess Cruises. That is, if you booked directly then you can contact them directly. If you booked through a TA then the TA must be the person to contact them.

They will want to know how many people will be attending - arrange this through your Roll Call.

Not so - I have booked through a TA and arranged my two cruises Meet and Greet directly with the Princess onboard coordinator.

I'm new to CC, but began a roll call and have set up a M&G with Princess for our Aug 11-18 sailing to Alaska on Crown Princess. We went no-host and they say they'll try to have staff on hand, but if that doesn't happen, I'm looking for tips on how to get a party started among strangers.

Been on lots of cruises, many with private parties, but if none of the staff shows, what would make the event more enjoyable?

If anyone has had success in motivating strangers to branch out and mingle with the larger group (vs. staying within their own crowd), please let me know. Am considering a giveaway of some kind, just to encourage people to attend and provide a starting point for the party.

Thanks!

Do not rely on Princess to invite officers. Get some small party invitations before you go and address them to the officers you would like to attend. The list will be in the Princess Patter when you get on the ship. Take them to the Passenger Services Desk and they will deliver them.

We are cruising on he Ocean Princess and have a very small roll call. Only 4-5 couples have shown an interest in a M&G. I have written the coordinator and suggested an informal CC get together. She said she will get back to me on a time. I wasn't planning on inviting any officers because my big fear is that only a few of us will show up and we would be wasting their time. Would it be rude NOT to invite them?

We are cruising on he Ocean Princess and have a very small roll call. Only 4-5 couples have shown an interest in a M&G. I have written the coordinator and suggested an informal CC get together. She said she will get back to me on a time. I wasn't planning on inviting any officers because my big fear is that only a few of us will show up and we would be wasting their time. Would it be rude NOT to invite them?

No, it would not be rude, but invite them anyway and encourage all of your small roll call to show up. Some of the best M&Gs we have had have been on the small ships with groups of less than 20 poeple. One time the Captain spent almost an hour doing Q&A with us.

You may also want to invite the guest lecturer(s) that are on the cruise. (Names will be in the Patter or on an e-mail you receive before the cruise). He/she/they will really appreciate being a part of the group.

Edited by caribill

A good start is to have everyone introduce themselves, say where they are from, and possibly say why they picked that cruise.

After people introduce themselves, people start talking to people they are finally meeting after talking on the roll call for months or longer

Hello:

I'm organizing a M & G on the Grand, May 10th cruise.

Here's what I did:

1. Looked at the posts for that cruise to make sure nobody was already planning one.

2. If no was planned I left a post saying that I was contacting Princess and would get back to them when I had more information.

3. I contacted the Princess Rep for my cruise and provided her the information they needed and asked for the dates and times that I wanted. I've planed 2 M & G for our cruise.

4. Princess contacted me confirming my requested dates and times and provided the location on the ship.

5. I made a flyer to sent to people interested in the M & G.

6. I did not want people showing up that I didn't know about so people had to email me with their names, cabin number if known, email address, and CC name. I took this information and made a table for my record. I also made name tags using the Cruise Critic Logo on my name tag. I put their first name and under that I put their CC name. I learned on my first M & G that you need the CC name along with their first name.

7. When people responded I sent them my flyer for the M & G. My flyer included the dates, time, and location for the M & G. I also am organizing a Sale Away Party and sent information about that too. I made a copy of the deck plan where the meeting will take place so that they will know the location and attached that as well.

8. I have templates made up to invite all of the principal officers. I will contact Princess after the 1st of the month of my cruise so that my list is complete. I also invite the ships photographers but my invite has them come 30 minutes after our meeting time. I deliver these letters when I first board the ship and go to the photo department and leave a letter with them. The day of the M & G I confirm with the photo department so I know they are sending a photographer.

9. A couple of weeks before the cruise I resend my information out to everybody as a reminder. When I first got peoples email address I created a group list to use for later. In sending out a group list I sent it to myself and a BCC to everyone else so to keep other peoples address private.

10. I don't post any information about the M & G on Cruise Critic as I want to be able to control who is coming so people just don't show up. I bring a couple of extra name tags that are blank incase I need them. On my last M & G I had 2 sets of name tags for both M & G but only one was used.

11. During the M & G I had everyone give there name , where they were from and as a ice breaker how they chose their screen name. I also asked the officers present to introduce themselves and if the Cruise Director was there they usually welcomed us to the cruise.

If you would like to have copies of what I have created, Invitations to officers, Flyers, List and Name Tags please email me at trbarton743@aol.com and I will email you what I have. I keep my templates for another M & G so I don't have to re-invent the wheel again.

Tom:)

Edited by trbarton

Appreciate all the replies and ideas!

Colo Cruiser, I do think something fun to add value will get the M&G off to a good start.

And, Paul, the personal invites onboard make sense...might do a few and encourage those to share the invite with others. Don't want to spend a lot of time putting this together =]

Also like that you feel others will naturally mingle. Do you think suggesting name tags (BYO) would be a good idea (so we know who the others are)?

Love the lecturer invite, caribill! That adds value for everyone. I had thought about intros, but wasn't sure if others would be comfortable with that. However, the "why I picked this cruise" topic is a good one! I wonder if PCL would turn on a mic so everyone can be heard? Many people are shy about speaking in public and talk softly because of it.

I've done 1-4, Tom, but I have already shared the date, time and location, asking others on our roll call to confirm they are attending and how many will be in their group (for the headcount PCL requires). I'm ok with that though as I'm not sure about restricting attendance (though I do like the recommendation for name tags to include real & CC name!). I thought about inviting a photographer, but don't want others to feel obligated to purchase, so I whittled that down to reminding attendees to bring their cameras...if we do a group shot, it can be shared. And thanks for the template offer, but my company manages promotions, so I can handle the onboard invites.

No, it would not be rude, but invite them anyway and encourage all of your small roll call to show up. Some of the best M&Gs we have had have been on the small ships with groups of less than 20 poeple. One time the Captain spent almost an hour doing Q&A with us.

You may also want to invite the guest lecturer(s) that are on the cruise. (Names will be in the Patter or on an e-mail you receive before the cruise). He/she/they will really appreciate being a part of the group.

Thanks for suggesting the guest lecturer(s). That can be a win-win.

Hello,

If I would like to set up an M&G on my sailing, and deliver invitations to the upper crew members - how do I know where to deliver them to?

Thank you for your information.

Sincerely,

Lori

Lori:

If you email the ship contact for the M & G after the first of the month the month of your cruise they will give you names of any officers that you want. With those names I have letters made up inviting them to attend and make up mailing labels with their name and title and attachment those labels on the envelopes with my letters and leave them at the main desk the first day that I arrive. I also invite a photographer to attend but my letter has them come about 30 minutes after the M & G started so everyone has arrived. I deliver this letter directly to the photo department and confirm again the day of our meeting. I have templates for my letters that I will share if you email me at trbarton743@aol.com.

Tom:)

. . .

6. I did not want people showing up that I didn't know about so people had to email me with their names, cabin number if known, email address, and CC name.

10. I don't post any information about the M & G on Cruise Critic as I want to be able to control who is coming so people just don't show up.

This is a joke, right? The people who show up are people who have been reading the roll call. Were you expecting rival gangs from other websites? Did you think that somehow word was going to get out to the Bloods that the Crips were having a Meet and Greet?

this is a joke, right? The people who show up are people who have been reading the roll call. Were you expecting rival gangs from other websites? Did you think that somehow word was going to get out to the bloods that the crips were having a meet and greet?

lol.

This is a joke, right? The people who show up are people who have been reading the roll call. Were you expecting rival gangs from other websites? Did you think that somehow word was going to get out to the Bloods that the Crips were having a Meet and Greet?

You crack me up. :D

No this was no joke. First I need to let the cruise line know how many I'm expecting so they can decide what space to use. What would you tell them as the numbers if didn't have a list, 10 or 100? Makes a difference, especially for the people choosing the meeting space. Another point. If you wanted to have name tags made up in advance how would you do this if you didn't have a list. From my experience, I have done many M & G before, having the name tags in advance added to the meeting as I have their first name and the CC name on it. People that were interested had no problem emailing me in advance.

No this was no joke. First I need to let the cruise line know how many I'm expecting so they can decide what space to use. What would you tell them as the numbers if didn't have a list, 10 or 100? Makes a difference, especially for the people choosing the meeting space. Another point. If you wanted to have name tags made up in advance how would you do this if you didn't have a list.

If you don't have name tags made up for the unexpected,

you could have blank tags and a pen.

Or, gasp, people could simply introduce themselves when talking to

someone they have not met previously.

With regard to the count -- I could understand it if this were a wedding,

and you were paying the caterer by the person...

If you don't have name tags made up for the unexpected,

you could have blank tags and a pen.

Or, gasp, people could simply introduce themselves when talking to

someone they have not met previously.

With regard to the count -- I could understand it if this were a wedding,

and you were paying the caterer by the person...

At the M&Gs I have been involved there were always blank name tags for people who showed up. Never a problem

Hi All

If there is a small group look at doing something different,

have put together a chefs table of cc folks there was 10 of us

had a diner in the Crown Grill with a couple of officers there was about 14 of us they gave us a whole section of the Crown Grill to us

for a slightly larger group we had a meal together in the anytime dining room on evening

with all of these I spoke to the ship to see if it was possible and they gave me an onboard contact to set the events up

as to cc meets my view is simple its not a private club, folk who have never heard of cc are more than welcome, that way the cc family will grow

yours Shogun

yours Shogun

Hi TR

You're taking a bit of abuse for the way you plan the M&Gs you manage, but my intention was only to solicit ideas (not critique those shared). If those who attend the M&Gs you plan are good with how you plan it, that's all that matters (though I can see how some might think you're asking/doing more than getting a group together & maybe shy away from it).

Princess did not offer onboard venue options when I inquired about a CC M&G (they told me when & where). I suppose if the attendance count dictates, they could move us from the venue we were assigned to, but there was no indication that they wanted a count other than to provide an accurate number of wait staff members. So I'm wondering how the venue planning has worked differently for you with them?

I had seen the "real & CC name" for name tags on an earlier post and will recommend people write both on their name tags (which they can bring or make from the ones available at the door -- if they want to use them).

I think I have the basic answers to my original question...and thank everyone for responding.

Right now our group looks incredibly small, Showgun, so these ideas might come in handy. But since we're still 100+ days out, I'm hoping more join us (and I think I'd rather keep my first attempt at planning a M&G more simple).

Good point on the event bringing in more CC members too. First time cruisers often become lifelong cruisers :-)

Hi TR

You're taking a bit of abuse for the way you plan the M&Gs you manage, but my intention was only to solicit ideas (not critique those shared). If those who attend the M&Gs you plan are good with how you plan it, that's all that matters (though I can see how some might think you're asking/doing more than getting a group together & maybe shy away from it).

Princess did not offer onboard venue options when I inquired about a CC M&G (they told me when & where). I suppose if the attendance count dictates, they could move us from the venue we were assigned to, but there was no indication that they wanted a count other than to provide an accurate number of wait staff members. So I'm wondering how the venue planning has worked differently for you with them?

I had seen the "real & CC name" for name tags on an earlier post and will recommend people write both on their name tags (which they can bring or make from the ones available at the door -- if they want to use them).

I think I have the basic answers to my original question...and thank everyone for responding.

In the M & G that I have none you are right in that they decide where you are to meet, although I have asked for my preferred date and times, and my request has always worked out. This is my first on Princess but its the same procedure on other cruise lines.

Thanks for your support.

Tom

Like a few previous posters....

I have never known of a restricted M&G.

Usually the info is shared on the roll call site. Someone agees to put the list together & make the contacts.....on the 2nd part you are doing a superior job.

This is our 40th cruise....over decades...and almost every cruiseline.

I prefer the usual way of an 'open' meet & greet......I bet the cruiselines do to.

This is basically a cruise critic party.....not a 'private' cruise critic party where one person refuses info to whoever does not email them directly.

• I shopped for sticker nametags on eBay and got some for less than the office supply store.
  • I pre-printed them and made way too many, plus some without names and put "couple of Sharpies" on my checklist
  • First name - CruiseCritic name - also hometown. All that info was in the Roll Call List
  • Sat down with the Patter on the first night and hand-wrote notes inviting the officers I thought the group would enjoy meeting. Used Princess cabin stationery :)

We got the Cruise Director, the Chief Engineer and another officer - I got a note written by the Captain expressing his regrets. I had way more stickers than attendees but at least they were cheap. The blanks came in handy. We could have used a dozen more drop-ins!

In writing the Princess contact, I had two date/times and suggested two or three locations. They set us up in Skywalker's in the afternoon 1st Sea Day...

Some attendees thanked me for having it in the afternoon as they miss morning ones sleeping in!

Throughout the trip, I enjoyed the "cruise friendships" that we started at that meetup! Including the CD. I am painfully shy but am glad we did have a M&G.

Edited by sminfiddle

• I shopped for sticker nametags on eBay and got some for less than the office supply store.
  • I pre-printed them and made way too many, plus some without names and put "couple of Sharpies" on my checklist
  • First name - CruiseCritic name - also hometown. All that info was in the Roll Call List
  • Sat down with the Patter on the first night and hand-wrote notes inviting the officers I thought the group would enjoy meeting. Used Princess cabin stationery :)

We got the Cruise Director, the Chief Engineer and another officer - I got a note written by the Captain expressing his regrets. I had way more stickers than attendees but at least they were cheap. The blanks came in handy. We could have used a dozen more drop-ins!

In writing the Princess contact, I had two date/times and suggested two or three locations. They set us up in Skywalker's in the afternoon 1st Sea Day...

Some attendees thanked me for having it in the afternoon as they miss morning ones sleeping in!

Throughout the trip, I enjoyed the "cruise friendships" that we started at that meetup! Including the CD. I am painfully shy but am glad we did have a M&G.

Glad everything worked so well