Is there a best time of year to cruise the Mediterranean...Italy & Greek Isles

NYCRUISR

Does anyone have an opinion on when the best time of the year is to cruise the Mediterranean. I'm looking at the Crown Princess for just 2 weeks from now. I see weather statistics show low rainfall for most of the destinations. How are the seas in June? Any help would be appreciated.

...... John

Does anyone have an opinion on when the best time of the year is to cruise the Mediterranean. I'm looking at the Crown Princess for just 2 weeks from now. I see weather statistics show low rainfall for most of the destinations. How are the seas in June? Any help would be appreciated.

...... John

We were in Italy and Greece on land from May to end June for 50 days last year. The weather was fantastic. We had one day of rain in Rome and that was it. Amalfi coast at the end of May was lovely and warm. Sea was calm and not much wind. We were on a large ferry from Venice to Corfu in mid June and the water smooth as glass. Santorini was a lovely temperature for sunbaking and sitting around the pool mid june. Sea around Santorini was fairly flat. West coast Greek Islands (around Corfu) were starting to get hot by the last two weeks of June. We had an afternoon breeze but we were sailing - I doubt you would notice it on a ship.

I checked Greek, Italian, German and British school holidays and avoided them all by going at that time.

...... John

I think it will be a beautiful time of the year. We were there in August and we nearly melted! Seriously...every day we were soaked right through our clothes with sweat - it was gross. I don't think the "seas" will be a factor....the route keeps the ship so close to land (not Costa close, but not out to sea!) that I don't think rough seas would be an issue if that's what you were referring to.

We cruised there beginning June 9th a few yrs ago and the weather was beautiful the entire time--in the ports & out at sea. I brought an umbrella but never used it. The seas were very calm except one night the ship rocked a lot but I don't recall where we were.

Hello,

We actually did ours in September. What I like about September is the weather is not as warm as summer although it is still very nice and of course not as crowded tourist wise.

sea ya

Eric

Hal Westerdam March2012

Coral Princess Sep2011

Ruby Princess Nov2010

Sapphire Princess Sep2010

Rccl Adventure Of The Seas April 2010

Carnival Miracle Feb2010

Rccl Oassis of the Seas Feb2010

Rccl Majesty of the Seas Nov2009

Rccl Navigator of Seas Sep2009

Hal Westerdam Nov&Dec2008

Caribbean Princess Nov2007

Sea Princess Nov&Dec 2006

Diamond Princess Apr2005

Rccl Navigator Dec2004

NCL SUN Nov2004

Visit of QM2 Oct2004

Carnival Victory Nov2003

Golden Princess Apr2003

Celebrity Mercury Nov2002

Carnival Elation Nov2001

NCL SKY Nov2000

We were there last September (early in the month) and it was really hot and humid. You walk so much in Europe and the heat saps you of energy and enthusiasm. I would avoid July, August and early September. Our favorite month to go to Europe is June. :)

Depends if you like it hot, or not.

Italy and Greece etc. can be unbearable for excursions and runs ashore in high summer, July and August, and I would advise against these months.

Fine on the ship where you can relax in shade, take cover, or cool off in the pool - but not on the baking streets of Athens (for example) which even mad dogs and Englishmen try to avoid !!!

Autumn is better - October.

We've been once in July and three times in September. July was far too hot and crowded. September was perfect all 3 times. Still quite warm, and no where near as crowded.

One month to avoid is August as that is when most Europeans take their annual vacation. I have never experienced it myself, but apparently the crowds are overwhelming at major tourist spots during that time.

Be it sea or land that best time for Southern Europe is Mid-April through Mid- June and then again Mid-Sept through Early November. The Summer is far to hot for excursions.

We've done Med. cruises in May and October and the weather on both was spectacular. Of course one can never predict when it will rain but the temps in Spring and Fall are the best.

Having lived in the Mediterranean for 15 years (Spain) I would say the best months are June/Sept/Oct. May can be good but a bit unpredictable. Avoid August if you can.

Please explain why avoid August ? living in Perth Australia this year we have had 65 days over 35c about 95 fht and 4 days over 39c about 100 fht so whats wrong with August as we are used to hot weather Aussie

Please explain why avoid August ? living in Perth Australia this year we have had 65 days over 35c about 95 fht and 4 days over 39c about 100 fht so whats wrong with August as we are used to hot weather Aussie

For me, it's the heat combined with the humidity. Stifling! Especially if you are climbing stairs, in an area with little air circulation, like a village square surrounded by buildings or walking for long hours in the sun. It may be fine for you, we lived in Florida for years and I just never got used to the heat and humidity. :(

We did a land trip to Tuscany and Provence in August, hot in France, but pretty crappy weather in Tuscany. Weather can be a crap shoot anytime. We had no issues with places closing for holidays.

Personally, we like September.

I thank you all for your input.

We booked Crown Princess for June 5th.

We are in it now.....lol;)

...John & Carol

I think that sounds wonderful. I'm jealous :p

I took my Mom on a Star Princess Greek Isles/Italy/Turkey/Croatia cruise last summer in August :eek: Oh my, it was hot, and I'm used to heat/humidity living in Texas. The weather in Venice was unreal, almost 100* F and over 90% humidity. It was crowded, but honestly the crowds were not a factor in any port except Santorini when there were 8 cruise ships in port. The nice thing was that we didn't have one day of rain the entire cruise. We did OK in the heat, drank lots of water, and didn't have any major issues. I guess I picked the right place to live - I'd rather have 100 degree days, than 0 degree days :D I am a cold weather wimp.

I would recommend June or early July rather than later. We were in Rome in August 2 years ago and it was unbearably hot. There was no pleasure in walking around sightseeing.

I thank you all for your input.

We booked Crown Princess for June 5th.

We are in it now.....lol;)

...John & Carol

Good for you! I'm on the same ship for a Sept 9th 12 nighter, so from one NYer to another, post some of your experiences and phots on CC when you return to LI, K?

Hopefully, no more noro on board, after several bouts in the Carib, they also had some on its transatlantic shift.

Archived