Hair Dryers

Teacher_91

I just read on the home page of this site the five things NOT to pack. One of them was a hair dryer. Yet, I could have sworn I read somewhere that the hair dryers in the cabins don't dry your hair very well. Can anyone enlighten me further about the quality of the hair dryers? For what it is worth - I'd really rather NOT have to bring my own! :)

Thanks in advance!

I always use the hair dryer in the room and never had a problem. I have shoulder length hair and can easily style it with their dryer and a round brush. :D

I used the dryer for my short hair with no problems.

The hair dryers work, but not very well. They are old and last year on the Grand I had a defective one which caught my hair and burned it! Yikes :eek:. Turns out there was no screen guard, so they put it a "new" one which was almost as bad, but at least had a mesh cover.

If you have long and/or thick hair, these aren't the best. They work fairly well for short hair.

I wonder if it depends on when the ship was last refurbished. I brought a hair dryer based on comments here for our trip on the Golden and found it totally unnecessary. First of all, I was pleased to see the hair dryer wasn't in the bathroom ( a major inconvenience when sharing the tiny space). It's out by the desk. It dried my shoulder length hair fine.

I have never had problems with the hair dryers on any Princess ship, however, my hair is neither long nor thick. I think if I were you I would skip packing the hair dryer. If you find that Princess dryers are inadequate you can always pick up an inexpensive one on your first port call.

The hair dryer was a bit frustrating for drying my hair, which is slightly beyond shoulder length, not thick and not thin. The fast drying hair towel I specificially purchased and brought onboard helped. It still took over an hour to get past the damp stage. If you have long hair + no problem with the luggage space + used to a high power one at home, pack it. You don't want it to take away your cruise time. =)

Stick one end of your dryer into hubby's big, old shoe....takes up hardly any space doing that!

But wrap it in a plastic veggie bag first.:eek::D

I think the hair dryers are awful. I prefer to have the little gizmo that concentrates the flow of air, and there's no way to do it with the rectangular opening. I bring a small lghtweight ionic travel dryer. I'm happy to sacrifice another pair of shoes.:)

I've never brought my own as the hair dryer in the cabin has always worked perfectly well. Slower than mine at home but what affects my hair far more than the dryer is that the water is very soft. As long as you're patient, you don't need to lug a dryer.

This is not a very good photo of the dryer. I believe they're 1500w and have high/low, warm/hot settings.

hair%2520dryer%25202.jpg

I just read on the home page of this site the five things NOT to pack. One of them was a hair dryer. Yet, I could have sworn I read somewhere that the hair dryers in the cabins don't dry your hair very well. Can anyone enlighten me further about the quality of the hair dryers? For what it is worth - I'd really rather NOT have to bring my own! :)

Thanks in advance!

If you use your dryer to style your hair as well as dry it you may need a stronger watt than is provided. If you only use it to dry your hair before you style it then you should be just fine.

Thanks everyone! I have very thick hair that falls a little past my shoulders. For that reason, I will probably take most of your advice and take my own hair dryer. I'm a 'better safe then sorry' kinda Gal. :p I love the tip for wrapping it in plastic and sticking it down the Mr.'s shoe.

Is it just me or does anyone else find it a little ackward to do your hair when you are not used to the 'feel' of the dryer? :confused: Since we are hoping for some nice pictures to commemorate our experience, I won't be pleased if my hair looks bad! :eek:

I definitely concur with those who say they bring their own. I have short but thick hair, and find the Princess hairdryers inadequate. They are less powerful than the sort that one finds in the average motel/hotel, and the style of them does not allow for directing a more concentrated flow of air when using a round brush to style one's hair. They are reminicent of the hairdryers of the 1970s!!

Archived