Oversold...Hal wants me to share room..

m-of-connor

Seriously?

Do you realize that in many portions of the world many families share one bathroom? Their whole lives. Sometimes it is down the hall in their tenement, sometimes an outhouse, sometimes a hole in a ground. For ancestors of some members on this board in their first trans-Atlantic voyage did not have any bathroom in the hold of the ship. Let’s keep things in perspective.

The horrors of sharing a bathroom with other family members? That is a typical First World problem.

tumblr.jpg

tumblr_lpomggEKAJ1qz5tgbo1_1280.jpg

When I grew up we had 5 people in the house and one bathroom. It was just how it was, and I never gave it a 2nd thought. We just worked it out somehow.

But I'm not going on a cruise to relive my childhood. I am looking for (and paying for) something better than I have every day.

If you think it's fine and dandy that a cruise line would take your reservation (and money) for two cabins, assign them to you, then call you two days before your cruise to try to guilt you into cramming everyone into one cabin, then you're welcome to it. I think that most of the rest of us expect what we paid for and what was agreed upon.

There are many people in this world who don't have enough to eat. Should I starve myself because of it? I think not.

Update.. Update

I had typed I huge what happened and I guess I had timed out and it did not get posted, so he goes short version

We will be sailing on the Westerdam on Saturday vs the Statendam on Sunday.

First Hal rep I talked to was nice and I knew we would come to an arrangement that satisfied both parties. Called back after my 2 hours and we found the Westerdam and 2 sailings in August. The Westerdam we would have to still share but larger room. Had to call and speak to my mom (my mom and 2 kids are going) when I called back the first rep I had talked to had left for the day:(. Have to inform new rep.(who has something stuck where the sun don't shine) what we were discussing and that I would like to have X amount in OBC if we take the Westerdam. She puts me on hold the phone hangs up Oh oH.. I call back and the office is now closed..AAAHHHHHH Is this what they do to unwanted/overbooked guest. She does call back but now I am in full panic mode. she tells me that she could not get X amount in OBC p.p. I blurt out not p.p. I just want that amount (negotiations 101: do not blurt out what you will take listen to what they will give you) She gives me an amount that was double what I asked for. O.k. Book me.

From the Stantendam inside L521 and L527 Anchorage to B.C.

Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Suite SA7--- Seattle R.T

We will have to share a room. I hope that we do not drive each other crazy. I feel good about the deal and we have some OBC. Time will only tell !!! Ask me in 10 days if this was a good deal or not. I just hope that the room is large enough for the 4 of us.

For those of you that posted a long the lines of 3rd world countries etc. I booked 2 rooms for a reason. I/we do not share a room with our kids when we cruise or that matter go on VACATION. That would not be a vacation. How do you have your time with your spouse:D? I never said who was going with me, just my kids. I still booked 2 rooms for a reason. Not sure if my mom will survive but we are all well traveled and flexible people. Not our first cruise and will not be our last. If this is how Hal does business I will know in the future to book my rooms with out linking them together. No calls about sharing a room.

In the end I was never ugly (she deserved it) used lots of humor and was willing to help them out if it was a benefit to me. I was aware that they could say "here is your money back have a nice day" so I played nice and we will see what the next 10 days brings us.

Off to finish packing and to check out what to do in Sitka.

Join a new roll call

Thanks for the update. All I can say is that Holland America is very lucky to have passengers as fexible as you and your family are - and of course I wish you

BON VOYAGE!

Regards,

Salacia

Seriously?

Do you realize that in many portions of the world many families share one bathroom? Their whole lives. Sometimes it is down the hall in their tenement, sometimes an outhouse, sometimes a hole in a ground. For ancestors of some members on this board in their first trans-Atlantic voyage did not have any bathroom in the hold of the ship. Let’s keep things in perspective.

The horrors of sharing a bathroom with other family members? That is a typical First World problem.

tumblr.jpg

tumblr_lpomggEKAJ1qz5tgbo1_1280.jpg

1. The quoted post is irrelevant and out of order.

2. Overbooking occurs when a carrier sells and takes money for something they don't have. Can someone please calmly and rationally explain to me the difference between overbooking and fraud?

Partial quote

....Overbooking occurs when a carrier sells and takes money for something they don't have. Can someone please calmly and rationally explain to me the difference between overbooking and fraud?

[deleted post - unable to explain difference, if there is a difference?]

Update.. Update

I had typed I huge what happened and I guess I had timed out and it did not get posted, so he goes short version

First Hal rep I talked to was nice and I knew we would come to an arrangement that satisfied both parties. Called back after my 2 hours and we found the Westerdam and 2 sailings in August. The Westerdam we would have to still share but larger room. Had to call and speak to my mom (my mom and 2 kids are going) when I called back the first rep I had talked to had left for the day:(. Have to inform new rep.(who has something stuck where the sun don't shine) what we were discussing and that I would like to have X amount in OBC if we take the Westerdam. She puts me on hold the phone hangs up Oh oH.. I call back and the office is now closed..AAAHHHHHH Is this what they do to unwanted/overbooked guest. She does call back but now I am in full panic mode. she tells me that she could not get X amount in OBC p.p. I blurt out not p.p. I just want that amount (negotiations 101: do not blurt out what you will take listen to what they will give you) She gives me an amount that was double what I asked for. O.k. Book me.

We will have to share a room. I hope that we do not drive each other crazy. I feel good about the deal and we have some OBC. Time will only tell !!! Ask me in 10 days if this was a good deal or not. I just hope that the room is large enough for the 4 of us.

For those of you that posted a long the lines of 3rd world countries etc. I booked 2 rooms for a reason. I/we do not share a room with our kids when we cruise or that matter go on VACATION. That would not be a vacation. How do you have your time with your spouse:D? I never said who was going with me, just my kids. I still booked 2 rooms for a reason. Not sure if my mom will survive but we are all well traveled and flexible people. Not our first cruise and will not be our last. If this is how Hal does business I will know in the future to book my rooms with out linking them together. No calls about sharing a room.

In the end I was never ugly (she deserved it) used lots of humor and was willing to help them out if it was a benefit to me. I was aware that they could say "here is your money back have a nice day" so I played nice and we will see what the next 10 days brings us.

Join a new roll call

Thanks for coming back and updating us. I hope the new arrangements work out okay for you, the suite perks will be nice for you all! Good to hear that they made you an offer you could live with, though it is disturbing this happens with some apparent regularity.

There are those three magic words that unlock the doors of compromise. :D Deluxe Verandah Suite.

That PLUS OBC. Cool!

Question (and maybe I missed it, but) ... what are you doing about your air? There's a rather significant port-of embarkation difference between Seattle, on the one hand, and your original port of Anchorage.

.........2. Overbooking occurs when a carrier sells and takes money for something they don't have. Can someone please calmly and rationally explain to me the difference between overbooking and fraud?
I already did back in post #7, but without going into detailed explanation, so I will try to be more specific here.

Fraud is defined as deceit, trickery; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right

That is not the intention when cruise lines or airlines or hotels or rental car companies overbook, which is something that most of them do regularly.

They do it because they know that they will typically get a number of cancellations or no shows.

In the cases where they don't, their intention is not to defraud anyone but rather to make things right and satisfy the parties involved.

That is why they routinely keep offering additional incentives until they get enough customers to accept, so that everyone is satisfied in the end.

Car rental companies give you a free upgrade to a higher category car when the category you booked is oversold.

Reputable hotels give you an upgrade to a higher level room when they oversell the category you booked, or else they transfer you to another nearby hotel.

Airlines offer money or future flight vouchers for volunteers to give up their seats and take a later flight. If nobody accepts the initial offer, they just keep upping the offer until they get takers.

(In fact, some airline passengers will deliberately book flights in advance on peak holiday travel dates, hoping for the flights to be oversold so that the airline will need volunteers and they can pick up easy extra dollars or flight vouchers just for sitting around in the airport for a few hours.)

Cruise lines routinely oversell cabin categories and upgrade some passengers to higher level cabins.

They expect that there will be some cancellations. If they don't get any and the entire ship is sold out, they will start calling passengers and offering them incentives to change their cruise date or ship.

If the first people don't accept, they know they can call others who will and then switch people around as necessary.

We have personally experienced all these situations at different times: oversold airline flights, hotel rooms, rental cars and cruises.

At no time did we feel that there was any fraud involved because the resolution offered each time was acceptable and beneficial to us.

HAL is the only cruise line I have heard of so far that tries to intimidate gullible passengers who booked 2 cabins into doubling up into one cabin.

(I am not claiming that no other cruise line ever does it, just that I have never heard of any other cruise line doing that.)

I can tell you what they can do legally if push comes to shove: they can do exactly what any business, be it airlines, cruise lines, theater, restaurant, plumber, etc. can do: they can refund your money and show you the door. Legally, they can do that to you, me, or anyone else. Read your contracts.

wrong. if an airline bumps someone from a flight they are legally obligated to provide compensation. the amount depends on how long the delay is. same for hotels. perhaps it is time for even more regulation of the cruise industry since this is happening more frequently. if the cruiseline will not regulate themselves, then then it needs be imposed upon them.

to compare a theater, restaurant, etc to a lengthy cruise is ridiculous and irrelavant.

Update.. Update

Join a new roll call

thanks for the update

There are those three magic words that unlock the doors of compromise. :D Deluxe Verandah Suite.

That PLUS OBC. Cool!

Question (and maybe I missed it, but) ... what are you doing about your air? There's a rather significant port-of embarkation difference between Seattle, on the one hand, and your original port of Anchorage.

Hi RevNeal! I haven't seen you in ages. We were just in a Deluxe Veranda (have you ever been in one?), but still don't feel it is big enough for 4 people so would not have taken the deal. But, it is a large jump from an inside.

My first thought was also the same as yours regarding mentioning other passengers ages. It would have been easy to run into them had the OP stayed on the same ship. I also want to know what happened with the air.

Hopefully at the minimum, the OBC covers the hotel charges for 4, at least $336.00. My bottom line on that would have been $500.00 OBC.

We would never have traded the Inside Passage (I assume) for a roundtrip from Seattle, plus have family in Anchorage. It's a huge difference in itinerary.

Look, overbookings happen. Anyone who flies understands that. Stuff happens. People screw up. Welcome to the real world. Yes, it is not unfortunate, but things happen.

“Stand your ground, no matter what”? Are you serious? This is the type of childish and self-centered attitude I would expect a teenager to have and not an experienced cruiser like yourself. What do you recommend that HAL does? Build another room on a deck?

I can tell you what they can do legally if push comes to shove: they can do exactly what any business, be it airlines, cruise lines, theater, restaurant, plumber, etc. can do: they can refund your money and show you the door. Legally, they can do that to you, me, or anyone else. Read your contracts.

Just exactly what do you see the resolution being? Sharing a room with own kids seems like a pretty reasonable thing to do. When I read the headline before clicking on it, I thought that he was asked by HAL to share a room with other passengers. He does not have to shake his room with the 72, 79, 80, and 82 year olds, does he?

Yes, it sucks for m-of-connor. My sympathies to him, and shame on HAL. But I am sure that if he takes an appropriate approach with HAL, that he’ll be able to swing a deal that is good for him. It depends on how good of a negotiator and how desperate HAL is. As an experienced cruiser, I am confident that he knows how to do this.

If it is childish and self centred to expect to receive what I have paid for then mea culpa.

It is just because we are experienced cruisers that we know that four in a room just would not work for us, even in a deluxe suite. We had such a room going to Alaska last August and after we unpacked there would have been no room for anyone else to put their clothes.

Since there is only one bed the unfortunate other two would have to camp out on the couch or pull down. Both of my sons are 6'3" tall. How much fun would that be for them? Not that they would want to cruise with Mom but that is beside the point.

A cruise is a major financial outlay and a person has a right to expect to receive what they paid for.

To the OP, I'm glad you were able to work something out. You will have a lot more space to share, which will help. and the balcony will help, too. Someone who wants a little time alone can just go out on the balcony for a bit of fresh air and quiet (weather permitting, of course).

This is the second thread about 'forced' sharing in the past few months. HAL needs to look at how they figure out how many late cencellations they will get and how many overbookings they need to cover that potential "loss."

I'm glad OP was able to get something she and her family could accept. NIce to have an SA though it is still 4 people in one cabin and far from ideal. But the change of itinerary probably would have been a dealbreaker for us. If I was doing an Alaskan cruise the Inside Passage would be a must.

I'd be interested in knowing how the airline arrangements were worked out. Surely any and all airfare charges for cancelling and changing flights should have been covered by HAL. Hopefully she can come back and tell us about that. All in all OP was much more accomodating to HAL's overbooking problem than we would have been, but I certainly wish her family a great cruise.

There always has been overbooking, but this demanding pax with 2 room guarantees move into one cabin is fairly recent and totally inexcusable. HAL got their problem solved at very little cost. The vacant SA on Westerdam at this late date would have used as an upgrade for someone in a lesser cabin category anyway and not sold at full price and whatever the OBC was that OP received costs HAL next to nothing anyway.

I'm glad OP was able to get something she and her family could accept. NIce to have an SA though it is still 4 people in one cabin and far from ideal. But the change of itinerary probably would have been a dealbreaker for us. If I was doing an Alaskan cruise the Inside Passage would be a must.

I'd be interested in knowing how the airline arrangements were worked out. Surely any and all airfare charges for cancelling and changing flights should have been covered by HAL. Hopefully she can come back and tell us about that. All in all OP was much more accomodating to HAL's overbooking problem than we would have been, but I certainly wish her family a great cruise.

There always has been overbooking, but this demanding pax with 2 room guarantees move into one cabin is fairly recent and totally inexcusable. HAL got their problem solved at very little cost. The vacant SA on Westerdam at this late date would have used as an upgrade for someone in a lesser cabin category anyway and not sold at full price and whatever the OBC was that OP received costs HAL next to nothing anyway.

I do not believe there were any flight changes to be made... I remember reading in one of m-of-conners earlier posts in this thread, regarding the changes that they were leaving today. IF that is true, the only thing she might have a bone of contention with HAL is the Hotel for one less night....

EDITED to Quote m-of-conner's first post yesterday, very last sentence: "I did tell the H.A. rep that he was going to have to explain why they are not going to Alaska in one day." So since this was posted yesterday, I am assuming they were flying in early so as to make sure they gave themselves plenty of time. But again, I could be very wrong....

Joanie

I do not believe there were any flight changes to be made... I remember reading in one of m-of-conners earlier posts in this thread, regarding the changes that they were leaving today. IF that is true, the only thing she might have a bone of contention with HAL is the Hotel for one less night....

Joanie

Wasn't the Statendam Anchorage to Vancouver and the Westerdam is RT Seattle? I thought she said that and that is what the HAL itineraries show. Definetely flight changes.

Thanks for reporting back to us:) Deluxe Veranda suite is certainly a nice size and I don't think you will be crowded. Sleeping arrangements will be the only challenge.

There are some nice perks with the room. Take full advantage of them:)

wrong. if an airline bumps someone from a flight they are legally obligated to provide compensation. the amount depends on how long the delay is. same for hotels. perhaps it is time for even more regulation of the cruise industry since this is happening more frequently. if the cruiseline will not regulate themselves, then then it needs be imposed upon them.

to compare a theater, restaurant, etc to a lengthy cruise is ridiculous and irrelavant.

The folks who agree to be bumped have accepted whatever is being offerred, okay for them. The rest of us, i.e., on the airline are simply keep waiting and delayed, that is why I felt I was being held hostage for 2 hours each direction on the Rome flight. They need to be held accountable for doing business this way. This no way to run an airline.

Look, overbookings happen. Anyone who flies understands that. Stuff happens. People screw up. Welcome to the real world. Yes, it is not unfortunate, but things happen.

“Stand your ground, no matter what”? Are you serious? This is the type of childish and self-centered attitude I would expect a teenager to have and not an experienced cruiser like yourself. What do you recommend that HAL does? Build another room on a deck?

Just exactly what do you see the resolution being? Sharing a room with own kids seems like a pretty reasonable thing to do. When I read the headline before clicking on it, I thought that he was asked by HAL to share a room with other passengers. He does not have to shake his room with the 72, 79, 80, and 82 year olds, does he?

Yes, it sucks for m-of-connor. My sympathies to him, and shame on HAL. But I am sure that if he takes an appropriate approach with HAL, that he’ll be able to swing a deal that is good for him. It depends on how good of a negotiator and how desperate HAL is. As an experienced cruiser, I am confident that he knows how to do this.

I see ...so everyone who agreed to stand up for what is right is childish and self centered. Well sir that makes you one of a kind....I will let someone else tell you what kind!:eek:

Wasn't the Statendam Anchorage to Vancouver and the Westerdam is RT Seattle? I thought she said that and that is what the HAL itineraries show. Definetely flight changes.

Definitely makes a HUGE difference. I had not realized the difference in Port Embarkation, so Yeppers, HAL should offer the difference in Air Changes and Hotel.

Thanks for putting me right:)

Joanie

Now, let's see...... On the 11th HAL was still selling cabins for a cruise in 12 days, right? How could they not have known at that late date that the cruise was over-sold? Don't they have a computer system that lets them know when all staterooms in a category, or for that matter in a ship, are sold out?????

I begin to worry about their professionalism at this point. This is truly bad P.R. for HAL... or is it the Carnival business model? RCCL, HAL, which brand is next?

m-of-conner I hope you read this before you board!!! (Though I realize you may not)

IF you run into another lady traveling with her 3 kids and her mother (staterooms on Deck 5 or is it 6???), and her name happens to be Kymberly.... Please give her a big old hug for Joanie and tell her to have a blast!!!

I know that you will love the SA on Westerdam and hope to Hades that you have a really really great time!!

I will be looking for your comments after next Saturday's return to port:)

Joanie

Archived