Silhouette Med Cruise Review With Lots of Photos and Menus

MVPinBoynton

Q

Soxfan,

You have a tough decision, but I don't know that you can make a bad choice. We prefer Celebrity over Princess, although we used to prefer Princess for their itineraries. I'm glad you have been able to enjoy Marcello also. He is a special person. We have been most fortunate to have been able to tour with him twice. Since we have never traveled with kids, I can't give an opinion on which is better. The kid facilities on the Silhouette were very nice for all ages.

Thanks for your response.

Just to follow up, since you were on this cruise... did you notice teens on board? Were there many? It is funny, but when I call Princess, they will tell me how many teens are booked on a particular cruise, but Celebrity says they do not have that info. I know the Ruby Princess would have a at least 200 kids on board, but I have no idea whether the Silhouette would likely have even 50. Thanks for your help!

Whichever cruise we take, we will contact Marcello to have him give us another tour. We did the Amalfi coast with him the first time. I am not sure what we would do this time.

Thanks for your response.

Just to follow up, since you were on this cruise... did you notice teens on board? Were there many? It is funny, but when I call Princess, they will tell me how many teens are booked on a particular cruise, but Celebrity says they do not have that info. I know the Ruby Princess would have a at least 200 kids on board, but I have no idea whether the Silhouette would likely have even 50. Thanks for your help!

Whichever cruise we take, we will contact Marcello to have him give us another tour. We did the Amalfi coast with him the first time. I am not sure what we would do this time.

Since we went before school was out, there weren't many kids of any age on our cruise. I would thi k Celebrity could give you that info, since the concierge in the dinig room new the nationality and ages of people at each table.

We did 2 Amalfi tours with Macello and they were both totally different. He will take good care of you.

What an incredible website and photos and commentary

of all of your cruises. I enjoyed it immensely. I was on the

Silhouette doing the Adriatic that left on May 30, 2012.

It will help others to know what to expect in the ports. I certainly

appreciate the time it must have taken to compile such

an informative account of your cruise. It brought back a lot of

memories.

I am a good photographer but may have questions for you

about some of your photos that are particularly stunning.

Thanks again for bringing so much enjoyment to so many on cruisecritic.

Marilyn

P.S. Am looking at Hawaii for my next cruise, so maybe I will

see you on the Infinity.

I did the Baltic on Celebrity Constellation and it is a wonderful

itinerary and you will thoroughly enjoy it. It might even be

better for photography than the Adriatic! St. Petersburg is like

no other place ..... In Finland, the sun is

very bright in the summer and all photos turn out incredibly

good. Lots of interesting history, scenery, etc. in every port. Denmark

is fabulous and there is a lot to see in Sweden. If you get a chance,

go to Lubeck Germany while in Warnemunde.

Marilyn

That's our plan- a few days in Rome to start , my dh takes care of the Pre-cruise part, he's looking into the Vatican scavi tour right now. I take care off all the port excursions.

Hope Mike doesn't mind my dropping by and sharing this link with our Philly friend/neighbor on her interest in doing the Vatican Scavi tour. We did that super fascinating and interesting slice of history last June. check out this post and added background, pictures from Rome, the Vatican, etc. :

Scavi: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1436502

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 92,565 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

You write a very thorough and comprehensive review with beautiful photographs. However, the detail is beyond belief. Surely the main objective of any cruise is to relax enjoying meeting new friends and enjoying the various ports of call. You seem to spend all your time taking photographs for your cruise review. Lighten up and simply enjoy the cruise!

Mike - thank you for your wonderful photo review of our Silhouette cruise! Reading your trip report brought back such great memories. The next time we are in Italy, we'll make it a point to go to Capri, as well as visit Bellagio.

It was great to meet you and Carol on this cruise, and I hope our paths will cross again in the future.

You write a very thorough and comprehensive review with beautiful photographs. However, the detail is beyond belief. Surely the main objective of any cruise is to relax enjoying meeting new friends and enjoying the various ports of call. You seem to spend all your time taking photographs for your cruise review. Lighten up and simply enjoy the cruise!

I know Mike and he is lightened up and he enjoys every cruise.

He loves taking pictures:)..........surely not everyone has the same

way of enjoying themselves:eek:

We are thinking of booking one of the angled balcony rooms on the Silhoutte for next March. Must wondering if the cabin seemed dark with such a long balcony?

Thanks, Vicky

It was a great cabin and not dark at all. We booked the one right above it for next year in the Baltic.

P.S. Am looking at Hawaii for my next cruise, so maybe I will

see you on the Infinity.

I did the Baltic on Celebrity Constellation and it is a wonderful

itinerary and you will thoroughly enjoy it. It might even be

better for photography than the Adriatic! St. Petersburg is like

no other place ..... In Finland, the sun is

very bright in the summer and all photos turn out incredibly

good. Lots of interesting history, scenery, etc. in every port. Denmark

is fabulous and there is a lot to see in Sweden. If you get a chance,

go to Lubeck Germany while in Warnemunde.

Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn. The really good pics are luck. I sent you an email; but it is tough to do from an iPhone. We are out of town. We are doing Hawaii on the Century. We are looking forward to returning to the Baltic; since we had just gotten our first digital cam the first time.

Hope Mike doesn't mind my dropping by and sharing this link with our Philly friend/neighbor on her interest in doing the Vatican Scavi tour. We did that super fascinating and interesting slice of history last June. check out this post and added background, pictures from Rome, the Vatican, etc. :

Scavi: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1436502

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 92,565 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Thanks for helping out Terry.

Trust me, I thoroughly enjoy myself. By looking for good photo ops, I might enjoy the cruise even more. Since we live in South Florida, I feel like we are almost on a cruise all the time.

Mike - thank you for your wonderful photo review of our Silhouette cruise! Reading your trip report brought back such great memories. The next time we are in Italy, we'll make it a point to go to Capri, as well as visit Bellagio.

It was great to meet you and Carol on this cruise, and I hope our paths will cross again in the future.

Good to hear from you Nancy. You were a great tour buddy. We look forward to seeing you guys on another cruise.

I know Mike and he is lightened up and he enjoys every cruise.

He loves taking pictures:)..........surely not everyone has the same

way of enjoying themselves:eek:

Thanks Lois. You are most correct. Hopefully when I retire next year, our paths will cross on another cruise.

Thank you for all the hard work pulling this review together. The detail is remarkable, it brought back memories of our trips and let us have a look at where we can visit in the future.

Well done and thank you.

MVPinBoynton: Trust me' date=' I thoroughly enjoy myself. By looking for good photo ops, [b']I might enjoy the cruise even more[/b]. Since we live in South Florida, I feel like we are almost on a cruise all the time.

Not that Mike needs anyone to defend him, BUT, I wanted to chime in and second his above wise comments on how by doing postings and pictures from your cruises can mean you could be enjoying your cruise . . . even more!!! We have only done four cruise, but lots of other travel in Europe and other places. On our first two cruises for the Greek Islands/Turkish Coast and the Baltics/Russia, I did some posting on these boards as we traveled and posted some of the smaller pictures. Worked fine and was of interest to others. But, then by our third cruise, July, 2010, we did the Norway coast, fjords, up to the North Cape, I figured out how to post the larger, more interesting pictures. I did post a full live/blog on that cruise. It was fun sharing, getting questions, answering those interests, learning more as we traveled, connecting with new people, etc.

Different people like to do varied things during their relaxing, laid-back time on a cruise between port stops. For my wife, it's reading books. For me, it's checking pictures, doing some posts, walking around on the ship, chatting with folks, etc. Then, last June, my postings from the Solstice in the Med also worked well. It really didn't take that much time for me as we traveled, if you are properly organized, know what you are doing, do some prep/set-up prior to the cruise, etc.

As Mike has reflected, doing this type of "reporting" adds to the overall cruise experience, makes things more fun and memorable, etc. As the saying goes, "different strokes for different folks"!! As you are doing everything normally on your cruise, it is not like you need to set-up a tripod and lights for every different pictures. It's just snapping as you are seeing and doing all of your regular, daily things. For me, not that much extra time is involved in the shooting of the pictures. Today's digital cameras are doing the hard work to focus, figure the right light exposure, etc. You see the results and what works instantly, etc. For me, it more fun to do this than buying "things" and/or writing and sending post cards. Cheaper, too!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 92,568 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 76,235 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Different people like to do varied things during their relaxing, laid-back time on a cruise between port stops. For my wife, it's reading books. For me, it's checking pictures, doing some posts, walking around on the ship, chatting with folks, etc. Then, last June, my postings from the Solstice in the Med also worked well. It really didn't take that much time for me as we traveled, if you are properly organized, know what you are doing, do some prep/set-up prior to the cruise, etc.

As Mike has reflected, doing this type of "reporting" adds to the overall cruise experience, makes things more fun and memorable, etc. As the saying goes, "different strokes for different folks"!!

Thanks for writing this. Different strokes is right - what is grueling for some is relaxing to others and vice versa. Although I write, would love to remember Mike's detail and would love to take pictures that come out as good as yours. Thanks to mostly everyone's input, we get a well-rounded perspective.

Is this a serious post, or is it just to show how envious you are (so am I) that you can't write as good of a review and take the wonderful pictures like Mike can? :cool:

Just finished reading your entire review and felt as if I had been there right along with you. I'll probably never be able to go on a European cruise but I can dream. All of your photos were beautiful but the shots of Capri really make me want to go there. What a beautiful place! Thanks for the journey:)!

Archived