Picking up a cabin mate in next port

gebo

If I embarq solo , can my buddy (cabin mate) embarq in Key West?

Short answer is 'no'. If you are on a closed loop cruise, he would run afoul of what is called the PVSA which would result in a fine of around $300.

Not if the cruise will end in a US port as a closed loop cruise. For instance if the cruise started in Miami, goes to Key West, then to one or more Caribbean countries and then ends in Miami, it would be illegal for anyone to board in Key West and get off in Miami.

if it is Carnival, give them a call and find out. A friend of mine missed their cruise leaving out of Miami last year due to flight delays and boarded at Key West (1st stop) the following day and they each had to pay $300 to board (government assessed). I think there were about 15 people that boarded there.

if it is Carnival, give them a call and find out. A friend of mine missed their cruise leaving out of Miami last year due to flight delays and boarded at Key West (1st stop) the following day and they each had to pay $300 to board (government assessed). I think there were about 15 people that boarded there.

The fee was the fine that is assessed when a passenger violates the PVSA. It is levied against the ship and the ship passes it onto the passenger in violation.

So, yes, it can be done, but it is a violation of the PVSA.

:)

But that situation was an unplanned delay and missing the ship. In this case, it would be planned. The cruise line cannot knowingly say, "Sure, you can board in violation of the law" and allow the booking knowing the passenger intended to "miss" the embarkation port and board at a different US port. And if the passenger simply booked the cruise, intentionally missed the embarkation, and then tried to board at Key West, the cruise line could deny boarding at that time. They aren't required to allow a passenger who missed the embarkation port to board later, whether it's in violation of the PSVA (or any other law) or not.

beachchick

But that situation was an unplanned delay and missing the ship. In this case, it would be planned. The cruise line cannot knowingly say, "Sure, you can board in violation of the law" and allow the booking knowing the passenger intended to "miss" the embarkation port and board at a different US port. And if the passenger simply booked the cruise, intentionally missed the embarkation, and then tried to board at Key West, the cruise line could deny boarding at that time. They aren't required to allow a passenger who missed the embarkation port to board later, whether it's in violation of the PSVA (or any other law) or not.

beachchick

While the line is, of course, not required to let a passenger who missed boarding at port of embarkation, it is clearly in their interest to do so because a lot of their revenue comes from on board purchases, and, if they can recover the $300 fine from the passenger, they would have no reason not to.

What is not in a cruiseline's interest is setting a pattern of allowing 'accidental' PVSA violations too often. Doing that will put them under review and leave them open to having the ship banned from all US ports for a full year. Not financially desirable.

What is not in a cruiseline's interest is setting a pattern of allowing 'accidental' PVSA violations too often. Doing that will put them under review and leave them open to having the ship banned from all US ports for a full year. Not financially desirable.

This is correct...it isn't just a matter of a fine.

Thanks, I learned something. I was just thinking that my friend who lives in KW might be able to join the cruise and not have to travel to Tampa...wrong. :eek:

Archived