Lower Rates found AFTER Final Payment - what did you do?

Last night, on the Royal website I found a $95 rate decrease on our cruise in August. Final payment was already made.

This cruise coming in August will be our 10th Royal cruise. I called our travel agent - he said after final payment the only option is cabin upgrades if they are available. I wasn't interested in a cabin upgrade. He suggested that I call Crown & Anchor which I did and got basically the same answer - no OBC just cabin upgrades.........

I assumed (incorrectly) that we would get an OBC........

Has anyone had the same issue??:confused:

Any suggestions would sure be appreciated.

Thanks..........

Last night, on the Royal website I found a $95 rate decrease on our cruise in August. Final payment was already made.

This cruise coming in August will be our 10th Royal cruise. I called our travel agent - he said after final payment the only option is cabin upgrades if they are available. I wasn't interested in a cabin upgrade. He suggested that I call Crown & Anchor which I did and got basically the same answer - no OBC just cabin upgrades.........

Thanks..........

it's been the rule for a couple years

The answers you got were correct. Also, a lot of the time the prices are for initial/new bookings and cannot be given to those already booked even before final payment. They're trying to attract new bookings, not give discounts to already booked cruisers. No discounts after final payments is a fairly new rule also (since 2010 sometime).

It sucks, but, as you now know, that's the policy. I'd suggest that if you are not interested in upgrading after final payment that you would be better off not looking. At least if you don't know you won't be disappointed.

It sucks, but, as you now know, that's the policy. I'd suggest that if you are not interested in upgrading after final payment that you would be better off not looking. At least if you don't know you won't be disappointed.

Best advice here. Like when I book a flight, I don't go back weeks later to see if the fare has dropped. Nothing can be done, so why look?

Be thankful it was just $95! Our price dropped by $400pp just 3 days after finally payment and all the complaining in the world got me nowhere. It sucks, but is their "rules"! :mad:

Thanks for your responses.

Cigar King and gerif......up until today, I didn't know the policy changed. I guess none of our previous cruises had a rate decrease AFTER we paid the final payment.........if we got upgraded to a balcony I would say wonderful, but since we booked an inside cabin the only upgrade was to a higher deck but in a location I didn't want............good advise "not to look if final payment was made"........advise taken..........still a bit disappointed but you can't fight city hall..........lol!

Hi Bugsy43...........

Hoooooly..........I'm not sure how I would handle a $400 price break!!!! What I keep thinking about is that a first time cruiser would be paying a lower price if they booked today............being "loyal" isn't alway the best bet, I guess........

That's been the policy for a couple years now.

This past April, I was booked in an Oceanview cabin. After final payment, the prices dropped like crazy. I think the ship was half empty and they needed to fill it. Anyway, we got an upgrade from the Oceanview to a D1 balcony. The price of the D1 was less than we had paid for our original cabin, but we didn't get the difference refunded or credited. I was just thrilled to have that balcony :D

Hi Karen........I think I will contact our TA and ask him to keep his eye open for a balcony upgrade........never had a balcony cabin........fun......

We are booked in an interior cabin......we were offered an inside cabin but the locations weren't appealing.......but a balcony....hmmmmm sounds great........you never know, maybe we'll get lucky!!

It could happen. For our last cruise in March, we were booked in a Promenade cabin at a really good rate. For some reason, a few days before the cruise, they had a very low price on a balcony guarantee, cheaper than what we were paying for our Promenade cabin. I called up our travel agent and had them switch us to the balcony guarantee. No, we didn't get the difference back, but it was a significant upgrade. We were very happy with our new balcony cabin.

Thanks..........

Pricing policy changed on May 17, 2010 when the new policy of only allowing price reductions up until final payment went into effect.

Yes, we've run into the same problem as recently as 2 weeks ago. I just don't look at pricing once final has been made.

Be very careful before you take an upgrade from and inside (or anything else) to a Balcony, if offered. Once you cruise with a balcony, you will most assuredly contact the dreaded 'always balcony' fever!

That is encouraging DAGHIS.........I'll keep checking the balcony category rates.......I never really do that.......thanks for the tip!!!

I got a $50 per upgrade from interior to balcony and at 8 days out interior dropped to $450 less than I paid initially. Yes $450 each. But who knows what my airfare would be now if I had waited? I am only watching it for the learning experience, I have a balcony and I am going on A CRUISE.

What do I do when the price drops after the final payment? I go on the cruise and I have a wonderful time. If I don't think I am getting a fair price when I book I don't book. I look for good value and I go with it. I have gotten a price reduction before that was prior to the final payment and of course I jumped on it and I was pleased. Don't let something like this ruin your trip.

Thanks..........

What would you do if they raised the price $95 after final payment? Would you send them a check for $95?

If you feel that you are somehow owed $95, you should owe RC if the raise the price.

DON

Be thankful it was just $95! Our price dropped by $400pp just 3 days after finally payment and all the complaining in the world got me nowhere. It sucks, but is their "rules"! :mad:

I would have cancelled the cruise and taken the $250pp penalty (assuming 7day cruise only three days after final payment) and then re-booked. Still would have come out $300 ahead.

Hi donaldsc,

No, I would not send Royal a check if they raised the price after final payment. The rate I was quoted was price protected unless I found an better rate...........what changed was the final payment rule.

I was not aware that the policy rules changed regarding on board credits if a lower rate was found even after final payment. I became aware of the policy change today.

Was I a little disappointed to find out I couldn't get an OBC like I had in the past.........yes I was......but rules are rules.......I was simply wondering if anyone else was in the same predicament of "not knowing" the new rule and what suggestions if any they had...........

booked my cruise after final payment

a week later it dropped $1000 for 6 of us...couldnt do anything about it...

so what did i do?

1. kicked the dirt...

2. complained online to cc

3. asl rci if there was anything they could do (even though I knew it to be nothing)

4. enjoyed my cruise...

That is one reason we never pay off the cruise until couple days before final payment.

In the past we sure had it good. We have gotten numerous reductions over the years. But as with all good things, it has come to an end. Yes, sadly, after final payment I don't even look, but I'm an eagle eye until then!;)

Archived