Oh yes, another passport questions, but please help!

missyk55

My husband and I are going on a cruise in October 2012. We leave from Galveston and will be going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozamel. We will be on the Carnival Magic. I know Carnival tells you that they recommend getting passports. BUT....can we travel with our stamped birth certificates and picture drivers license. I know IF we got left behind. (that will never happen, my husband is a watch moniter) or if we had an emergency, we would not be able to fly home. HOWEVER, we are ok with that. Someone please tell me if we can make our choice and travel without a passport. This is making me a nervous wreck! :confused:

This is making me a nervous wreck! :confused:

Get a passport and there would be nothing to be nervous about.

But yes, like just about every other of the million passport threads on CC already addressed, you can get by with a certified birth certificate and a driver's license as you are leaving from and returning to the same US port. The only other issue would be if you are not US citizens, then a passport would be required.

I live in the UK and am always bemused by all the passport threads on here. Why do people in the USA seem to be so resistant to getting a passport? Surely it must save all the worry about what documents to take. I know it costs money, just as it does here, but it's surely worth it.

I live in the UK and am always bemused by all the passport threads on here. Why do people in the USA seem to be so resistant to getting a passport? Surely it must save all the worry about what documents to take. I know it costs money, just as it does here, but it's surely worth it.

Finally a good passport question!

I think this question deserves a title of its own; repost!

I think it deals with the fact there is a lot more opportunity for travel in the US where you do not need a passport - 49 states (not counting the one you live in :)). Travelling to a different country in Europe is very common and similar to travelling to a different state here (or in some states, like Texas, travelling across state). Travelling to a different country for Americans....not nearly as common.

My husband and I are going on a cruise in October 2012. We leave from Galveston and will be going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozamel. We will be on the Carnival Magic. I know Carnival tells you that they recommend getting passports. BUT....can we travel with our stamped birth certificates and picture drivers license. I know IF we got left behind. (that will never happen, my husband is a watch moniter) or if we had an emergency, we would not be able to fly home. HOWEVER, we are ok with that. Someone please tell me if we can make our choice and travel without a passport. This is making me a nervous wreck! :confused:

Birth certificate and government issued picture I.D. is all you need. Be sure the birth certificate is not the hospital issued one but one that comes from the local government where you where born. Passports are a good idea though.

Wow, I am sorry that I had to be the 1 millioneth post regarding passports. But, I just wanted to make sure. And to answer the question about why I don't just get passports and be done with it...well, I live in a very very rural town and yes, I could send the application in the mail, but to find somewhere to have the picture made would require me taking off of work for at least half a day or more. And since I am so rural, I worry about them losing my birth certificate in the mail. And if that happened, I would really be up a creek without a paddle. Sorry if I frustrated anyone by having to answer this question for me, but I really do appreicate it!

I live in a very very rural town and yes, I could send the application in the mail, but to find somewhere to have the picture made would require me taking off of work for at least half a day or more.

The photo shouldn't be a problem. Assuming you have a local high school, find a way to ask if any student (for a small fee) can take your passport photo on a digital camera and print it on their computer. Who knows, you might even start them off on a part-time career.

Wow, I am sorry that I had to be the 1 millioneth post regarding passports. But, I just wanted to make sure. And to answer the question about why I don't just get passports and be done with it...well, I live in a very very rural town and yes, I could send the application in the mail, but to find somewhere to have the picture made would require me taking off of work for at least half a day or more. And since I am so rural, I worry about them losing my birth certificate in the mail. And if that happened, I would really be up a creek without a paddle. Sorry if I frustrated anyone by having to answer this question for me, but I really do appreicate it!

Do you have a CVS, Walgreen's or the like within a reasonable distance? For future reference in case you are interested, they do perfectly acceptable passport photos in a few short minutes. That is where we had ours done for our 4th or was it 5th passport renewal. In this day and age, we wouldn't dream of leaving the U.S. fifty without a passport..... but that's just us.

Here's an idea........ when in Galveston to catch your cruise, go to CVS or Walgreen's and get passport photos done. When you get home, you can complete the application, enclose the photos and a check, mail it and when it is time for your next trip, you will have a passport. :)

It's fast, easy, inexpensive and a chance for you to get your photos done. There are so many locations for those stores, it should be very easy to google and find one near where you will be.

I get my official photos done at Walgreen's. I wait for the photos and it is not a long weight. Often they have sales.

That said, some Post Offices will take the photos for a slightly higher price.

I do understand the issue of living in a rural area. Been there and done that. It is not fun.

Also, if possible, get a second birth certificate prior to sending the one you have. You would have a spare, just in case. I did that before I sent ours. I requested them by mail and they were sent to me promptly. We were both born in the same City. :)

I've taken 8 of my 10 cruises with my certified BC & drivers license~ never had a problem! The *only* reason I ended up getting a PP was not due to the fact that I might have to fly home but due to the fact that I was born overseas and I was always afraid of losing my BC~ it would have been he!! trying to get a replacement~ Plus I found out later that I had used the wrong BC for my first 6 cruises~!! lol~!!! :p

Do you have a CVS, Walgreen's or the like within a reasonable distance? For future reference in case you are interested, they do perfectly acceptable passport photos in a few short minutes. That is where we had ours done for our 4th or was it 5th passport renewal. In this day and age, we wouldn't dream of leaving the U.S. fifty without a passport..... but that's just us.

I agree on Walgreen's, CVS, etc....Walgreens is actually the ONLY place I have had passport photo's done...and I am on my third. They do a fine job.

The official passport website has the specifications listed for the photos so you can do them with a digital camera. My hubby did this one, but they're pretty picky (you need to get the proportions just right such as where the eyes are, etc.). The next time, I went to CVS, and the time after that, the auto club. Our post office will also take the photos when you're there to get your applications processed.

So even if you don't have a drug store within driving distance (check out the ones near you; you may be surprised that one may handle the photos), someone with a digital camera may be willing to do it for a small charge. Also check the official passport website (make sure it has a .gov extension) as they may have a place near you that will process your application.

Yes, you absolutely can cruise a closed-loop cruise, like yours, with a *certified* (not hospital) birth certificate and a driver's license.

If you really are that far from a Walgreen's or other passport picture place (and, living in rural Nebr., though not that rural, I know it's possible. One of my almost nieces has to drive her daughter 35 miles ONE WAY on gravel roads to school).

But, you can find on the internet directions for taking your own passport photo; size, etc. Lots of people do this.

It is very easy and usually fairly quick to get duplicate copies of birth certificates; usually can be done online by your state government. I personally think for the small cost that it's a good idea to have an extra, so I wouldn't hesitate to mail my birth certificate in.

Hi Missyk55. No, I wasn't frustrated at you asking the passport question. This forum is here to help with any question, no matter how many times the question has been asked before, but as a UK citizen I just find it difficult to understand why our US friends seem so resistant to the idea of getting passports. Here in the UK we have all the same problems - will they lose my birth certificate? where can I get a photo done that will satisfy the passport authority? etc etc - but it's well worth the expense and hassle to have that valuable document. I've had one for the whole of my adult life and would never let it expire even if I have no immediate travel plans. It's a great way of identifying yourself for reasons other than travel, such as when opening a new bank account for example. I made sure that my daughter had one at an early age, and she has done the same for her children (one still only a baby). Anyway, hope you enjoy your cruise and that you don't have any trouble with documents whatever ones you decide to use. :)

Archived