Carnival cruiser does NCL

S.S.Oceanlover

So you are looking at NCL for October 2013?

Any particular week and what ship? I am looking at the Pearl from Miami or the Jewel from Nawlins. Both western Caribbean.

Bill, if you can potentially delay departure for one month (Nov), Norwegian Dawn has a great Western itinerary departing from Tampa.

We're booked for next year and I'm excited about the dining options. We mostly are going for itinerary (and price). Glad to hear you enjoyed it, we're nervous about the change.

I'm sure we'll be back on Carnival soon hopefully though, just harder to get back to the east coast now.

What? No one's mentioned "happy, happy", "smiley, smiley", "washy, washy"? I know that part about cruising NCL drives some people crazy, but I think it's a fun touch! Only been on two with them, but we'll go back for more; after Celebrity, and then maybe Princess...

What? No one's mentioned "happy, happy", "smiley, smiley", "washy, washy"? I know that part about cruising NCL drives some people crazy, but I think it's a fun touch! Only been on two with them, but we'll go back for more; after Celebrity, and then maybe Princess...

OMG that guy had more energy than the energizer bunny. He was so happy and laughing all week.

He was up on the stage the last night when they had the crew and officers on stage and he was the last to leave the stage as we was dancing his fool head off. He was a real good dancer too.

The next morning as we were getting off he was at the gangway dancing and waving to everybody as we got off.

Everybody was yelling to him, "happy, happy, washie, washie"

He was a lot of fun to watch.:)

There were sure a lot more hand sanitizers on this ship than on a CCL ship that is for sure although it doesn't prevent Noro.

Bill

After all the Carnival cutbacks I am taking my vacation money to NCL. Perhaps that will give Carnival a message on their 'Brilliant' cutbacks.

Yep that's what I am doing. While the beancounter dismantles what was once a good product I'll go elsewhere with my money.

I've had enough for awhile.

Bill

Bill, if you can potentially delay departure for one month (Nov), Norwegian Dawn has a great Western itinerary departing from Tampa.

I love that itinerary as the CCL Dream and I believe the Disney Fantasy also do that route but November 17th wouldn't work as my wife has a board meeting that month.:(

The price is awesome too. $399 for an inside with $50 OBC. How can you go wrong.

we LOVE Cozumel and Nachi Cocum.

Bill

yep, that's the one my friends and i will be doing.

I was going to do Dream which has the same excellent itinerary but my friends convinced me to try Dawn.

Looking forward to it. :D

Bill,

Thank you for your review of Norwegian. I've been thinking about booking on Norwegian for a while. All my cruises have been on Carnival ( 1 group cruise, 2 solos, & upcoming cruise in October with my sister.). Looking to book in either 2013 or 2014.

I love NCL. I think they do buffets much better and LOVE Blue Lagoon. My favorite ship is the Gem and the spa there is wonderful!!

Someone asked about nightlife/shows - I preferred NCL's over Carnival's and even attended the White Hot Party - fun for all.

Night life is so much better than Carnival. We did our first NCL in February. They had professional acts all week in the theatre. Really good job.

Your review is just the opposite of ours on NWC. Food bad, staff rude, hard to find a place to sit, if you didn't want to sit in a restaurant. Service in all restaurants slow and rude. Never did meet our room steward. Twice our room didn't get straightened up. We love to cruise CCL. I suppose it is like every cruise line, it depends on the ship as to how you will like it. I know we won't take the chance again and spend the extra money on NWC. We have yet to have a bad experience on CCL. The few cut backs haven't made our cruises any less enjoyable.

Wonder if i could get away with wearing Kilts in the dining room instead of long pants? Were women allowed to wear skirts or dresses?

I may try NCL in the near future for the single studio cabins. Last time I was on NCL was 2001 while on the Wind.. It was allot differant back then as compared to today.

I am Platinum with Carnival, have done I think 11 or 12 can't remember.. I did the solo cabin in 2010 on the Epic.. Awesome.. very cool... This is definitely something you should try. Did the Valor last year in April. My fam did the Valor again for Thanksgiving last year. After being on the Epic and going on the Valor after the Epic I could not do it again. The Epic is definitely a totally different experience but I have also been on the NCL Spirit and that experience is what made me fall in love with NCL... My fam booked a cruise for Thanksgiving this year on the Dream, my heart was not in it. I know the Dream is a lovely ship and I have seen good reviews and I love the perks for being Platinum on Carnival but I canceled when I got a chance to get back on the Epic or it could have been any other ship for NCL, it did not matter. My birthday is the Saturday after Thanksgiving and I wanted to be on a cruise for my birthday. Well the opportunity was available for me to get a great deal on NCL through my Harrah's Reward Gold Card. Could not afford the solo, which I would loved to be in, but will be on the Epic for my birthday.

We did the Pride in August and the Gem in November and enjoyed the Gem so much more.

Service was a tad better, the buffet setup was so much better and you did not have to wait 15-30 minutes to grab food and hope it stays warm.

The vairety of the BBQ by the pool was excellent as well not same hamburger/hot dogs.

The Blue Lagoon is perfect for a casual sit down quality lunch

Entertainment had newer shows not same old Carnival bland ones

After all the Carnival cutbacks I am taking my vacation money to NCL. Perhaps that will give Carnival a message on their 'Brilliant' cutbacks.

Ditto!

Get it together Carnival.

I was really disappointed this year.

And we did two CCL crusies.

NCL here I come next year.

I have to say I was startled at the difference between ccl and ncl. I was so needlessly worried if I would like ncl... Awesome cruise line for sure! When u leaves you really feel like you are leaving family! I really wish Ncl offerered a few more sailings though....

We did the Pride in August and the Gem in November and enjoyed the Gem so much more.

Service was a tad better, the buffet setup was so much better and you did not have to wait 15-30 minutes to grab food and hope it stays warm.

The vairety of the BBQ by the pool was excellent as well not same hamburger/hot dogs.

The Blue Lagoon is perfect for a casual sit down quality lunch

Entertainment had newer shows not same old Carnival bland ones

I could have written this myself! Also went on Pride but have gone on the Gem twice and absolutely LOVE it!!! As I have said before, and others have mentioned too, NCL seems to care more and try harder. They make the passenger feel like they are important and matter. I like CCL but I don't get that feeling from them. There are little things they could do that don't even cost money - like have the officers meet the passengers, offer water and cold towels upon returning from a port, host and Meet and Greet and don't charge for it - little things that could go so far.

And I absolutely love the happy, happy, washy, washy people - what a way to brighten a day!!:)

Never sailed NCL but would like to. It is hard when you have kids though as it does not seem like NCL is doing any Caribbean cruises in the summer of 2013.

I have a PVP (whatever NCL calls them) and he said they don't do the Caribbean in hurricane season. :(

I have a PVP (whatever NCL calls them) and he said they don't do the Caribbean in hurricane season. :(

They do Bermuda. You're docked for two overnights. Breakaway will be doing this Sun-Sun run from NY beginning next May.

Archived