Do you know what happened to the Maasdam?

Master98

However in most cases the master is the last one on the blame line. The pilot/s may give him some cover but the master is the ultimate decision maker. He may have very properly thought the pilots were doing what they should have been doing... sometimes you can't predict everything.

Thinking back to 2004 when an RCI ship the dock in Costa Maya -- she had major damage to one side. I remember seeing the pictures -- but they were quickly removed from 2 sites that I know of. You could actually see the crew cabins that were ruined. The ship hd to stay there for a few days while a "patch" was made to make her sea worthy. I do remember what her "home" port was.

But eventually she had to be taken out of service for awhile to have the temperay patch fixed.

Don't know how HAL will handle this.

We forget about the sailors who paint the ship, drive the tenders, process the trash, the upholsterers, clean the engine and even weld steel sheets to the hull when there is damage to the ship.

I like to be reminded of the 'WHOLE CREW' and not just those we personally interact with.

JMO....

First off, I would like to echo other posters' sentiments with my agreement with what you have posted above.

Second, AND MAY I FIRST SAY I am not trying to hijack a thread, but this is a perfect example of when the Cruise Director gives their spiel about automatic tips and how people that you don't normally see or experience service from first hand really also benefit from this service. For those on here who like to hand envelopes to people, when was the last time you handed an envelope to an upholsterer or one of the guys that sorts your trash down below?

...At the time of the incident the ship was under the hands of two regional river pilots dispatched by the Laurentian Pilot Authority, a Holland America Line spokesman told Cruise Critic....

This is always the first observation of ship owners. The Master never relinquishes command and navigates under the advice of pilots.

Similar press releases were issued when the QE2 grounded.

I like the term "under the hands" of pilots.

I suspect there is plenty of blame to spread around, and no need for any single person to take the brunt of it.

The important thing is that no one was hurt...I think.

Smooth sailing...

I was on Hola's cruise and we overnighted in Venice as part of the cruise and then we had to overnight another waiting for a part from Germany but they took the part off of a Cunard ship being tested in Trieste and away we sailed early afternoon the next day. We missed Croatia. I didn't think the water in St. Mark's Sq was that deep but they had the walkways up. Of course, I am taller than Hola!!:p

Reminds me of a line from Man of La Mancha...

"Whether the rock hits the pitcher, or the pitcher hits the rock, it's going to be bad for the pitcher." Sancho

Deb

Hi Deb, just saw that you are cruising in a few weeks. Wanted to wish you a great cruise and don't forget to go to Trivia :)

Jane

When the RCI ship hit the dock in Costa Rica -- a much worse accident than the Maasdam's, she was repaired there and had to past an inspection before coming back to the states.

She did end up in a dry dock to be fixed correctly.

I would imagine that the Maasdam at some point will also have to go into a dry dock and get properly repaired.

We will all have to wait and see what decision Seattle will make.

Seeing Maasdam is scheduled to be in Bar Harbor Friday and Boston Saturday, we will know whether she actually entered U.S. port or not. I have confidence HAL would not be sailing her if the repairs are not worthy enough to pass inspection. That ship would not be sailing with crew and guests aboard if not safe.

Hi Deb, just saw that you are cruising in a few weeks. Wanted to wish you a great cruise and don't forget to go to Trivia :)

Jane

Hi Jane!

I have already sharpened my pencils :D

Thanks for the good wishes. Had a great time sailing with you and hope to do so again.

Cheers,

Deb

Good source tells me all is OK with the Maasdam, which is good because we sail Oct 19.

She would not be sailing if she was not safe.

Crew and guests are safe and secure on Maasdam, same as always or she would be 'out of service'.

Archived