Do you know what happened to the Maasdam?

Master98

There was nothing on the 11:00 o'clock news. I also checked the Quebec City and Montreal newspapers on line and there was nothing about the ship in those either. Hopefully someone who is on board will post tomorrow.

My sister got on in Montreal in the early afternoon and there wasn't any crash after that. However they did leave Montreal 3 hours late No, nothing on the news. I assume it wasn't a huge crash but I guess if you hit something or something hits you just in the wrong spot, it can do damage. Please, I am not saying it was a lot of damage - just that a proper repair can take time My sister just emailed to say they would be in Quebec City until 3pm tomorrow.

Hi fellow cruisers,

Despite the incidents that took place on the Maasdam, I wish all passengers a pleasant stay in Quebec. It's not very hot today but you will be the first to enjoy autumn colors (foliage turn red actually!).

Welcome to Quebec city !

Holacanada

Two of my sibs are on the ship. She just emailed saying that they are staying overnight in Quebec City and not going to Charlottetown after all. Evidently they hit something going into Montreal. They were several hours late leaving there. Mary says that they were working on the ship (near the bow) at 5 a.m. this morning. Extremely noisy!

Oh my gosh ! Glad everyone is ok. I am new to cruising and I have to admit the Charlottetown port is one of THE main reasons I am going on this cruise. I have learned enough here that I know I need to be flexible and not be upset about port changes...but I would be !

After I saw OP....I emailed a friend and according to my source....

Due to extremely strong currents and very high winds when coming into Montreal we did hit the dock.

They are doing structural repairs and we are sailing this afternoon from Quebec City. We did overnight here due to impending weather 2 hurricanes coming our way as well as repairs.

also no pax or crew were injured...

Due to extremely strong currents and very high winds when coming into Montreal we did hit the dock.

They are doing structural repairs and we are sailing this afternoon from Quebec City. We did overnight here due to impending weather 2 hurricanes coming our way as well as repairs.

thanks for the update.

Thanks very much - very wise to overnight there indeed - repairs or not:)

I hope the rest of their cruise is smooth:)

Thanks so much for the update.

Enjoy Quebec City. It's a fabulous port to be held in longer. :)

I have not heard an update on the hurricanes this morning but you don't want to be sailing where they are heading. :eek:

Two years ago, we missed four of our six ports due to Hurricane and though disappointing, it was a matter of safety. In the end, the hurricane fizzled and headed more west and it would have been okay to go but they certainly would never take the chance.

thank you for the update. We will be boarding the Maasdam in Nov. and would have been really disappointed if something happened that would have caused us to miss that cruise. It will be our first time on the Maasdam.

Thank you for e-mailing your friend and finding out for us what happened.

We are in Quebec on a land vacation and were suprised to see the Massdam in port this morning. We watched the repair. TheY were welding and painting at rapid rate. It was a thirty foot section right behind the name on the bow that was damaged. A passenger said the hit the dock in Montreal. The ship did leave at 3:30 looking good as new.

Despite the incidents that took place on the Maasdam, I wish all passengers a pleasant stay in Quebec. It's not very hot today but you will be the first to enjoy autumn colors (foliage turn red actually!).

Welcome to Quebec city !

Holacanada, thanks for your local information. Regarding seeing red foliage already, is this early for the season or about average? We will be there in 26 days. What should we expect to see in early Oct?

Thanks, g

Our local forecasters in Boston are saying peak colors will be 'about average dates' this year. Montreal and Quebec City will likely be past peak 26 days from now though maybe some color still visible. As you go south, you will see more color with Boston area maybe flirting with peak the last third of the month in October.

Archived