Do you know what happened to the Maasdam?

Master98

We are in Quebec on a land vacation and were suprised to see the Massdam in port this morning. We watched the repair. TheY were welding and painting at rapid rate. It was a thirty foot section right behind the name on the bow that was damaged. A passenger said the hit the dock in Montreal. The ship did leave at 3:30 looking good as new.

Thank you for the update.

Just glad that no one was injured.

Hello Fellow cruisers,

No longer able to know that the Maasdam was being repaired in the port of Quebec, I did not hesitate to jump on the first bus came to realize live on the extent of damage. Here's what I gathered from some passengers.

First, that the ship was damaged in the Port of Mtl while strong winds and currents have moved strongly on the docks. This has resulted in a hole in the hull right front. The shock hit mainly 3 cabins and water could rush there in the open sea (high seas). - At the height of the first bridge built for PAX, I think it is the Promenade Deck.

I saw with my own eyes a team of mechanics place a large piece of metal on the Hull on thé afternoon. This is a temporary of course. Maasdam require good repair. I know nothing about cruises scheduled thereafter.

It could be that the Maasdam Quebec remains today (Tuesday, September 11) as another problem ad in the East with Hurricane Leslie.

Misfortune When you tell me ... Although some passengers kept telling me that Quebec is a beautiful city, a nice place to stay "stuck" at unexpected.

Personally it has happened to me ... While in Venice ..! (Another great place to be stick isn' it) The Niew Amsterdam at Thatcher Time on l'y had 3 weeks as a cruise ship ofand we waited a piece (it should not be a bolt) for radio navigation, radar Supp. in fact. So 2 more days, 2 feet in the water on St. Mark's Square (the water level was particularly high).

During my first Atlantic crossing, we made a stop as helicopter bring us a mecanical part off Florida. These maneuvers always spectacular ..!

That is why I often go on a cruise alone because I hate to scare my friend (s)!

Havé à good Day !

Holacanada be on the Westerdam in 87 days, 18 hours and 31 minutes.

PS: I might post some pictures when I get back from work, my students wait ...!

This photo of the crew making repairs reminds of something I forget too often.

When we think 'crew', many of us primarily think of the steward who makes our bed, the steward who serves our dinner, the bartender or steward or serves our drinks, security crew on the gangway and those handsome officers walking around in their starched white formal jackets.

We forget about the sailors who paint the ship, drive the tenders, process the trash, the upholsterers, clean the engine and even weld steel sheets to the hull when there is damage to the ship.

I like to be reminded of the 'WHOLE CREW' and not just those we personally interact with.

JMO....

This photo of the crew making repairs reminds of something I forget too often.

When we think 'crew', many of us primarily think of the steward who makes our bed, the steward who serves our dinner, the bartender or steward or serves our drinks, security crew on the gangway and those handsome officers walking around in their starched white formal jackets.

We forget about the sailors who paint the ship, drive the tenders, process the trash, the upholsterers, clean the engine and even weld steel sheets to the hull when there is damage to the ship.

I like to be reminded of the 'WHOLE CREW' and not just those we personally interact with.

JMO....

well said

Someone uploaded this pic to a weather site.

It appears that this is just a "temporary" patch to keep out the elements.

I suspect that there will have to be a significant repair to be made to cut out and replace the damaged hull plates. Your guess is as good as mine when that will occur and how long it will take.

I further suspect that any rooms near the damaged area will not have passengers in them.

Sorry to see this happen.

...Personally it has happened to me ... While in Venice ..! (Another great place to be stick isn' it) The Niew Amsterdam at Thatcher Time on l'y had 3 weeks as a cruise ship ofand we waited a piece (it should not be a bolt) for radio navigation' date=' radar Supp. in fact. So 2 more days, 2 feet in the water on St. Mark's Square (the water level was particularly high)...[/quote']

I don't mean to be picky, but could someone please translate the above statement into American English so I can understand exactly what is being said.

Thanks a lot.

Scott & Karen

I don't mean to be picky, but could someone please translate the above statement into American English so I can understand exactly what is being said.

Thanks a lot.

Scott & Karen

Originally Posted by holacanada viewpost.gif

...Personally it has happened to me ... While in Venice ..! (Another great place to be stick isn' it) The Niew Amsterdam at Thatcher Time on l'y had 3 weeks as a cruise ship ofand we waited a piece (it should not be a bolt) for radio navigation, radar Supp. in fact. So 2 more days, 2 feet in the water on St. Mark's Square (the water level was particularly high)...

I think he means, that the same thing happened to him while he was on the Nieuw Amsterdam when she was new. They had to wait 2 days for a part for the radar/radio(not sure which). While they were stuck in Venice there was 2 feet of water on St. Mark's Square (a frequent occurrence with high tides and rainfall)

Hope this helps.

We sail in 2 weeks...is HA generally pretty good about communciating stuff like this ? Any predictions ?

Two unforeseen events impacted Maasdam's regular sailing this week.

There was an incident which damaged the ship in Montreal and required repair. There are two hurricanes/tropical storms possibly heading into her usual itinerary. Adjustment had to be made to accomodate both situations.

Maasdam could not/would not sail into PEI if a hurricane was headed there and same for Halifax. Until the path of the storm was established and they could know where was safe and reasonable to sail, they tied up at a fabulous port and lucky guests got extra time in Quebec City.

When cruising, one learns to expect possible changes in plans due to things out of one's control such as weather and unexpected events such as damage to the ship.

We've heard of no injuries and that is the best of news.

We are due to board the Maasdam Saturday morning in Boston, so this matter is of some concern to us. We thank all those who have contributed to this thread, so at least we know that something that affects our cruise could be in the wind. Needless to say, HAL isn't putting out any information or notifying passengers due to embark on September 15. One of our expected cruise mates called HAL and was told that HAL corporate headquarters didn't know anything about this accident.

So, as of right now, it looks like all systems go for Saturday sailing out of Boston.

Sail7Seas, sorry we missed you, maybe next year we can catch up with you.;)

We are due to board the Maasdam Saturday morning in Boston, so this matter is of some concern to us. We thank all those who have contributed to this thread, so at least we know that something that affects our cruise could be in the wind. Needless to say, HAL isn't putting out any information or notifying passengers due to embark on September 15. One of our expected cruise mates called HAL and was told that HAL corporate headquarters didn't know anything about this accident.

So, as of right now, it looks like all systems go for Saturday sailing out of Boston.

Sail7Seas, sorry we missed you, maybe next year we can catch up with you.;)

:) Bumper, it would be our pleasure to sail with you and I'm sorry we aren't boarding with you Saturday. We are already booked for b-to-b for July next summer..... we love that cruise.

Hope you board smoothly Saturday and have a wonderful time.

Maybe you'll post some comments when you return?

Have a GREAT Time.

Fair Winds and a Following Sea......

Cruise Ship Grazes Pier

e-letter-icon.png

maasdammain2.jpg( EDT) -- Holland America's Maasdam had a minor collision with a berth inMontreal while docking September 8. No one was injured, but repairs to the ship were made.

At the time of the incident the ship was under the hands of two regional river pilots dispatched by the Laurentian Pilot Authority, a Holland America Line spokesman told Cruise Critic. Maasdam sustained "minor damage above the water line," when it hit the number 17 berth, the spokesman said.

The damage to the ship was not severe, though it was delayed in departing Montreal. All necessary repairs were made. The Canadian Coast Guard is investigating the mishap.

Cruise Critic learned something had happened to Maasdam from reader Master98, who posted September 9 that he noticed "a giant scratch" on the ship while it was in Quebec City. He noted workers were adding huge metal plates over the scratch.

Another Cruise Critic member jmps reported she (or he) was in Quebec on a land vacation and watched the repairs. "They were welding and painting at a rapid rate. It was a thirty foot section right behind the name on the bow that was damaged… The ship did leave at 3:30 looking good as new."

The ship, which is on a seven-night sailing from Montreal to Boston, was originally scheduled to depart September 9 from Quebec, but rough seas caused by Tropical Storm Leslie prompted an overnight stay and a September 10 departure.

Thanks, Bumper.

Seems no reason to not expect to board as planned on Saturday.

Hope all aboard enjoyed their added time in beautiful Quebec City. There are Far worse places to have an extended visit. IMO

Beautiful day in Boston today and the weather is supposed to last all week with a warming trend. :)

For what it's worth,

there were very high winds in Montreal that day - the system moved here -ergo the double trouble for Nova Scotia and Newfoundland with Leslie.

anyways -winds were very high - the captain has to rely on the pilots - however, no one can control these kind of conditions.

Hopefully she will be fine shortly.

[Another Cruise Critic member jmps reported she (or he) was in Quebec on a land vacation and watched the repairs. "They were welding and painting at a rapid rate. It was a thirty foot section right behind the name on the bow that was damaged… The ship did leave at 3:30 looking good as new."

. [/font]

GREAT NEWS! :)

All of us knew she would be made "sea worthy" prior to sailing ... just so glad she also looks pretty again!

LuLu

Does anyone know who the Captain was?

Not sure but he was not piloting the vessel.

From post #69 above ^^

At the time of the incident the ship was under the hands of two regional river pilots dispatched by the Laurentian Pilot Authority.

Archived