Question for Celebrity Re: Poor Food Quality

maggie3

We will be sailing on the Silhouette in October. I have been reading recent reviews for the September 4 sailing of the Silhouette in the Mediterranean/Adriatic. Several in a row have remarked about bland food in the main dining room and on the buffet. This does not seem to be the rant of one disgruntled passenger. What's up with that, Celebrity?

Food opinions are always so subjective -- I wouldn't pay the reviews a lot of attention. If you find the food bland, you can always ask for hot sauce, extra seasoning, salt, or pepper to your taste. At the buffet, there are numerous hot and spicy additions over at the Indian and Asian areas -- pile on the peppers if you dare!

I find the food quality has gone down on all lines as the price of groceries has gone up. I guess that is because the ticket price for the cruise has stayed the same. Not that many years ago X said all things were made from scratch, I feel that has changed. That said I find it to be good quality wedding food and if you go to the extra rest. A step above. There is so much of it if I do not like something I just get something different. I think the problem is when people expect 4 or 5 star rest quality. You can get that on Oceania as an example but the ticket is twice that of X.

I find the food quality has gone down on all lines as the price of groceries has gone up. I guess that is because the ticket price for the cruise has stayed the same. Not that many years ago X said all things were made from scratch, I feel that has changed. That said I find it to be good quality wedding food and if you go to the extra rest. A step above. There is so much of it if I do not like something I just get something different. I think the problem is when people expect 4 or 5 star rest quality. You can get that on Oceania as an example but the ticket is twice that of X.

I believe that the menu changes in the MDR have greatly improved the meals. Of course we all prefer different things prepared in different ways.

I previously only sailed on Regent, a much more expensive boutique line. I find the food on Celebrity the same and often better. Sometimes I ask for extra sauce, or dressing...often the food is a little less salted for my taste.

Certainly the Indian food in the buffet is spicy. The food in Qsine is anything but bland!

Truth is that although the menu's and recipes are consistent across the fleet, there must be "season to taste" in there somewhere. Seasoning does vary.

Some chefs have likely heard "too much salt" or "too spicy" so often that they cook on the bland side. Others seem to know how to season dishes "better" (and perhaps hide from the complainers...and yes, no matter what they do, some will complain).

I wouldn't worry too much...everyone's seasoning likes are different, you may love the food (and remember others will be complaining about that same dish you love).

Truth is that although the menu's and recipes are consistent across the fleet, there must be "season to taste" in there somewhere. Seasoning does vary.

Some chefs have likely heard "too much salt" or "too spicy" so often that they cook on the bland side. Others seem to know how to season dishes "better" (and perhaps hide from the complainers...and yes, no matter what they do, some will complain).

I wouldn't worry too much...everyone's seasoning likes are different, you may love the food (and remember others will be complaining about that same dish you love).

Agree. I've heard that from some of the Executive Chefs. Is "taste" in the food, or in the sensory perceptions of the taster?

I was on the Infinity back the end of May the food as usually pretty good the buffet was very variable MDR was usually OK to very good it depended on what was being served and what you like the Osso Buco (veal shank) was very good, as was the Lobster which other people have not liked.

The fresh croissants I had in the cabin every day were wonderful, I would certainly not say poor quality sometimes the execution was not what I would have liked to me the buffet food could have been hotter but I think that is a common complaint with no real solution, the cooked to order eggs were almost always good and once again not poor quality just the guy making omelettes not that good.

We will be sailing on the Silhouette in October. I have been reading recent reviews for the September 4 sailing of the Silhouette in the Mediterranean/Adriatic. Several in a row have remarked about bland food in the main dining room and on the buffet. This does not seem to be the rant of one disgruntled passenger. What's up with that, Celebrity?

I honestly wouldn't stress. My own opinion? I don't think the food generally is as good as it was a few years ago, but (and it's a big but) I have experienced the same menu items on one cruise that are much better than another. I think this can be for a variety of reasons. Sourcing of ingredients, the particular chefs on a ship at the time and how your waiter performs (getting it to you hot, choosing the best plate from the kitchen etc). On my trip in April I actually preferred the food in the buffet to that in the main dining room, but the following cruise in May it was better. As I said I wouldn't stress. I'll be on Silhouette in December and hope the food is good then.

Phil

If any of you have ever worked in a commercial kitchen you will know that if everything was made from scartch most of us would probably not be able to afford the cruise as the kitchen staff and kitchens required would be major $$. I have always found the food to be xecllemt with a wide varierty of choices, and if you dont like one thing you can have something else.

I noticed one person complaining about the porions and taste of the spa food, well duh they are low calorie low fat food which is not covered in cream sauces, dressings salt etc

3 January 1943, Salt Lake Tribune (Salt Lake City, UT), “Dear Joe—,” pg. 8C, col. 1:

Which reminds me of that soldier who wrote his mother, “The food here is absolute poison, and they’re such small portions, too.”

I agree that the food on board is horrible and I keep on coming back until I get a meal that I actually enjoy...

I've suffered through three months of Celebrity food so far this year and I'm about to find out if the next two months onboard Reflection will be any better. ;)

I agree that the food on board is horrible and I keep on coming back until I get a meal that I actually enjoy...

I've suffered through three months of Celebrity food so far this year and I'm about to find out if the next two months onboard Reflection will be any better. ;)

:D

On Silhouette in June/July of this year, we had select dining in the MDR, after mostly dining in Blu since 2008. We thought the food was very good and the meats were of a much improved quality over the meats we have had in the MDR previously. We also really enjoyed some of the new menu options, such as the Shrimp Louis (fresh shrimp with Louis sauce served over a bed of avocado splashed with lime juice).

We did not find the food in the Silhouette MDR to be underseasoned. My DH and I tend not to cook with much salt, and use seasonings and fresh herbs instead. I have noticed over the years that some people who complain about "bland" food will then put a LOT of salt on their food. I, for one, am very glad that the Celebrity chefs do not cook to the level of saltiness that those people seem to require.

It always amazes me to watch people who will generously salt food that they have not even tasted yet. :)

I can always finsd something I like on a cruise. There are plenty of fresh salads, fruit ect, and a vast array of it. Much more than my refrigerator at home...and I do not have to cook any of it. A cruise to me is mommy heaven. Someone else feeds you, cleans up after you, lets you sleep in if you wish...Nothing to complain about here :)

We may not have very exacting standards, but we've always liked the food on all of our Celebrity cruises. Some of it has been excellent, but all of it has been good. And, the good news is we didn't have to cook any of it (we didn't do that steak house where they trick you into cooking your own :))

The buffet hasn't always been exciting, but it isn't really bad either.

Our favorite is Bistro on 5. You can't really beat that deal and the food is super good every time. We also like the Mast Grill for lunch.

I know that food is subjective and I respect your opinion. It's just our experience on Silhouette was different. It could be something happened since last March. I guess we'll find out next April.

Tom

I think the MDR food for dinner is fine. I did wonder why it was so much better on Infinity in January than it was on Century in April when the menu was the same, so I was pleased to read the posts about chefs having discretion.

Celebrity, in my not so humble opinion, has a terrible buffet. Their breakfast pastry needs a new recipe that contains a extra pound or two of butter. The pastries remind me of the ones from the big box club that are served in inexpensive motels with "continental breakfasts". They can be described in two words: "dry and tasteless"

In all my X cruises, I have never had a lunch I liked, whether in the MDR on a sea day or the buffet with the exception of the awesome hog dogs and fries near the pool.

After missing dinner due to a a late excursion and sampling the buffet, I will now make all my Celebrity reservations for Select Dining. The dinner choices were awful. I ate sushi and a salad for dinner as that was the only thing that seemed decent.

I think the MDR food for dinner is fine. I did wonder why it was so much better on Infinity in January than it was on Century in April when the menu was the same, so I was pleased to read the posts about chefs having discretion.

Celebrity, in my not so humble opinion, has a terrible buffet. Their breakfast pastry needs a new recipe that contains a extra pound or two of butter. The pastries remind me of the ones from the big box club that are served in inexpensive motels with "continental breakfasts". They can be described in two words: "dry and tasteless"

In all my X cruises, I have never had a lunch I liked, whether in the MDR on a sea day or the buffet with the exception of the awesome hog dogs and fries near the pool.

After missing dinner due to a a late excursion and sampling the buffet, I will now make all my Celebrity reservations for Select Dining. The dinner choices were awful. I ate sushi and a salad for dinner as that was the only thing that seemed decent.

We too were on the Infinity this spring and we really enjoyed the improved new menus. Big improvement from a year ago. If we were late for our early seating we would just order room service off the MDR menu. But I have the opposite opinion about the buffet - there was always something our group of 10 could find that we liked. I have to admit I didn't try their "breakfast pastry" Not ever sure what it is.:confused: Did have fantastic waffles, made to order omelets, carvings etc. I didn't eat there too much as usually the Elite breakfast is fine for what I usually eat.(fruit, smoked salmon etc). It would also take a lot more than sushi for us to change to Select:)

ps I don't know why the fonts are all wierd on this post:confused:

I will even go a step further, SELFLESSLY promising EVERY guest, onboard ANY Celebrity Ship I am on, that they need not FORCE themselves to eat a SINGLE shrimp cocktail, caprese salad, lamb shank, rack of lamb, filet mignon, cajun ribeye, lobster, or chocolate souffle. (or ANY other HORRIBLE tasting food item, be they from the MDR, Murano, Tuscan, Qsine, Bistro, or Silk.) :p

Just have your wait staff send the plate to my table. :D (or maybe the gym where I will probably be spending a LOT more time.) :o

I think that food reviews in most respects come down to something other than food.

• International experiences of different country cultures and cuisines will influence a review.
  • It is a matter of expectations. If expectations are low there is a probability of a good review if the expectations are high there is a probability of a poor review.
  • An individuals level of education will also influence a review
  • An individuals level of income will influence a review
  • Individuals who entertain clients on a regular basses in 5-Star restaurants with unrestricted expense accounts will influence their review.
  • The type and quality of food a person eats in their day-to-day lives will influence a review
  • Quality of food from the embarkation port is a large factor in food quality
  • Length of the cruise is a factor
  • One should factor luck into the equation

Last but not least it is just that everyone is different

Just recently spent 23 days in Aug. on Silhouette back to back. My wife had a dietary requirement.

We could not fault the food,waiter service nor the attention to my wife's dietary needs. We were select dining in the evening but the breakfast/ lunch self service food was also excellent in Oceanview.

As has been said, food tastes vary. Some people value speciality coffees highly, we do not so these things are subjective.

But on Silhouette we heard hardly a grumble. Once someone at our table thought their food less than hot, it was whisked away and quickly replaced.That ended as a positive!

You will have a fantastic time on Silhouette.

David

Archived