Another Oasis-class to be built?

From today: "Asked by USA TODAY for comment, a Royal Caribbean spokesman responded with a prepared statement: "We do not comment on rumors, and at this time, it's just a rumor. As we have done in the past, if/when we have something to announce, we will do so through an official company press release."

He said:"... at this time ..." :-))) Now I wait for the press release.

Delivery in fall 2015 would be ok. :-)

The question for the home port is hard: Should the new ship starts at weekends from another port than Port Evergaldes or weekdays from Port Everglades? Or one of the Oasis class ships have to change to longer cruises, what I would prefer... :-)

Ron.

I dont think RCCL would ever do a 10/11 night route with this ship. Takes too many people out of the equation especially for the 11 night cruise. (like was said 2 full work weeks) Most people these days can barley get a week off a time and then during the school year most parents wont take their kids out for a week, let alone 2. Although I think it would be awesome.

My guess is Port Canaveral, like they've done with Voyager Class, and Freedom Class first couple ships go to South Florida then on to Canaveral....

I dont think RCCL would ever do a 10/11 night route with this ship. Takes too many people out of the equation especially for the 11 night cruise. (like was said 2 full work weeks) Most people these days can barley get a week off a time and then during the school year most parents wont take their kids out for a week, let alone 2. Although I think it would be awesome.

My guess is Port Canaveral, like they've done with Voyager Class, and Freedom Class first couple ships go to South Florida then on to Canaveral....

It's only in the US, that a 2 week vacation is unusual, a 2 weeks vacation for Europeans is average and they have a lot more school breaks than we do here, just a shorter summer break, so it might work.

It's only in the US, that a 2 week vacation is unusual, a 2 weeks vacation for Europeans is average and they have a lot more school breaks than we do here, just a shorter summer break, so it might work.

My brother lives in Amsterdam and he has 38 days off per year which is about 4.5 weeks vacation per year! and he works for an american consultancy company btw...

A good point...as much as I'd never do it, I suppose they could also end up doing 3/4 nights out of Canaveral similar to Disney Dream:

Pt Canaveral > Nassau >

Labadee > @sea > Pt Canaveral

...and how much could they get for a balcony for four nights...$700?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother lives in Amsterdam and he has 38 days off per year which is about 4.5 weeks vacation per year! and he works for an american consultancy company btw...

How many days does a week for an american consultant company in Amsterdam has?

Even if your brother had to put in 7 days for a week off, which I think is unlikely but surely not totally impossible, 38 days would more translate into 5.5 weeks. At 6 days a week it would be like 6 weeks and two days.

How many days does a week for an american consultant company in Amsterdam has?

Even if your brother had to put in 7 days for a week off, which I think is unlikely but surely not totally impossible, 38 days would more translate into 5.5 weeks. At 6 days a week it would be like 6 weeks and two days.

He works 5 days in the week.You are right 5.5 weeks!

Yes, but there is a point of diminishing return. Until more destinations can handle the berthing of, and the discharging of passengers from, the Oasis class ships there probably will not be anything larger.

There is a reason why new, confirmed, builds are going back to Freedom size or about. That size can go to pretty much any port and the world whether it's a docking port or a tender port.

New builds (Myer Werft) are smaller than the Freedom Class, 125' to 130' width as opposed to 185' width for Freedom & they base occupancy at 4000 which is greater than Freedom class as well!

It seems that they are trying to see how much they can stuff into the ship before people feel like Sardine's and ask for Olive Oil!

New builds (Myer Werft) are smaller than the Freedom Class, 125' to 130' width as opposed to 185' width for Freedom & they base occupancy at 4000 which is greater than Freedom class as well!

It seems that they are trying to see how much they can stuff into the ship before people feel like Sardine's and ask for Olive Oil!

The Sunshine project ships are being targeted at around 158000 GRT and the Freedom class are 154407 GRT. So Sunshine is slightly larger than Freedom.

Freedom's beam is 127'. The 185' max width for Freedom is the width of the bridge wings.

I think given the constraints of the passage out of Meyer Werfft shipyards that Sunshine will be narrower than Freedom, but not significantly so.

Keep in mind that you shouldn't take what the Royal website says as absolute truth (I know, shocking). They tend to exaggerate on the dimensions as some form of marketing ploy. Freedom's official tonnage under the International Tonnage Convention is 154,407

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/freedomofthesea/

Plenty of people do B2Bs on the Oasis and Allure. That adds up to 14 days so why not 10 or 11?

But we'll see. So far it indeed is just a rumour :(

Plenty of people do B2Bs on the Oasis and Allure. That adds up to 14 days so why not 10 or 11?

But we'll see. So far it indeed is just a rumour :(

If there were an Oasis class ship doing longer Southern itineraries I would be on that in a heartbeat!

The Sunshine project ships are being targeted at around 158000 GRT and the Freedom class are 154407 GRT. So Sunshine is slightly larger than Freedom.

Freedom's beam is 127'. The 185' max width for Freedom is the width of the bridge wings.

I think given the constraints of the passage out of Meyer Werfft shipyards that Sunshine will be narrower than Freedom, but not significantly so.

Keep in mind that you shouldn't take what the Royal website says as absolute truth (I know, shocking). They tend to exaggerate on the dimensions as some form of marketing ploy. Freedom's official tonnage under the International Tonnage Convention is 154,407

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/freedomofthesea/

I have been on the RCI Liberty & Allure and also on the Disney Fantasy (Meyer Werft new build) let me tell you that Meyer Werft new design ships are substantially narrower than either the Freedom Class & Allure class!

When I was on the Disney Fantasy it was noticable that the height & width of the common area hallways & deck height was kept to a minimum to increase space for more cabins and decks. I watched videos of the Fantasy being tugged backwards down river to the ocean it barely fit!

From these facts I am pretty sure that neither the NCL or RCCI new Meyer Werft ships will have a larger width than the Freedom or Allure Yes they might have a higher gross weight & more decks but they are narrower.

I have been on the Disney Fantasy and do not think it is as wide as Carnival's Dream class let alone RCCI's Freedom or Allure class and all of these new Meyer Werft ships have one thing in common base occupancy starting at 4,000+. If the Freedom's width is actually 127' than I am sure that all of the current Meyer Werft Builds will be narrower, more crowded and less spacious!

PC wouldn't be out of the question. They are really hungry over there to compete with Miami/FL for business.

There are a lot of rumors among people who work over in that area that they want to seriously increase the port traffic over the next 20 years. This would be a big step. It was rumored that they wanted RCI to put 3 ships in, CCL to add a 4th, NCL to add a 2nd ship (I think this happened) and DCL to have the flex option to run all 4 of theirs.

Just a couple of weeks back the Gov fast-tracked the improvements.

I have been on the RCI Liberty & Allure and also on the Disney Fantasy (Meyer Werft new build) let me tell you that Meyer Werft new design ships are substantially narrower than either the Freedom Class & Allure class!

When I was on the Disney Fantasy it was noticable that the height & width of the common area hallways & deck height was kept to a minimum to increase space for more cabins and decks. I watched videos of the Fantasy being tugged backwards down river to the ocean it barely fit!

From these facts I am pretty sure that neither the NCL or RCCI new Meyer Werft ships will have a larger width than the Freedom or Allure Yes they might have a higher gross weight & more decks but they are narrower.

I have been on the Disney Fantasy and do not think it is as wide as Carnival's Dream class let alone RCCI's Freedom or Allure class and all of these new Meyer Werft ships have one thing in common base occupancy starting at 4,000+. If the Freedom's width is actually 127' than I am sure that all of the current Meyer Werft Builds will be narrower, more crowded and less spacious!

Hmmm... the 'official' beam for the new Disney ships is 121', but they are a bit wasp-waisted, correct? Kinda wider at the ends than in the middle? Carnival Dream is 122' btw.

I agree with you, intrinsically. I'm interested to see the design for the Sunshine project but I'm not sure 4000 GRT extra tonnage is enough to offset 400 more people. I'm hoping that RCI doesn't go back to the days when they were amongst the lowest for tonnage per passenger.

PC wouldn't be out of the question. They are really hungry over there to compete with Miami/FL for business.

There are a lot of rumors among people who work over in that area that they want to seriously increase the port traffic over the next 20 years. This would be a big step. It was rumored that they wanted RCI to put 3 ships in, CCL to add a 4th, NCL to add a 2nd ship (I think this happened) and DCL to have the flex option to run all 4 of theirs.

Just a couple of weeks back the Gov fast-tracked the improvements.

Yes, and the Port Canaveral Port Authority has a stated desire to handle Oasis sized ships, but right now I can't find the reference where that was stated.

But, with that said, the studies have determined that the channel needs an extra 100' in width to safely handle ships of that size. I'm just not sure where they would reclaim the land to get that width? Imminent domain on the south side and remove all the business and part of Jetty Park? I don't think they can do anything to the north side of the channel.

The more I think about the more likely it seems that this 'theoretical' third Oasis ship would go to Puerto Rico. I'd love to see one in Port Canaveral but it might cannibalize business from Port Everglades and I am not sure that RCI would do that.

Remember when the skeptics used to think that a 70,000 ton mega ship was way too big and didn't make sense?

Remember then when skeptics used to think that a 100,000 ton ship was too big?

Then 130,000 tons?

Then 150,000 tons?

Then 225,000 tons?

There's a reason why ships keep getting bigger. They make $$$$. They do make sense.

This made me laugh. Back in Ohio, in the days LONG BEFORE I'd ever cruised, I used to work with a guy who went on a Carnival cruise every single year with his wife.

They used to spend every Jan-Apr working out like crazy because in May they were going on their cruise. They would laugh and say they came back the same size they were after Xmas. They ate like pigs and were the first people we knew with their "summer tans" each year because they just sat out in the sun the entire trip.

They went on whatever the newest ship of the year was. The homeport (I think most of the time it was Miami?) didn't matter, they just wanted the biggest and newest ships out there. They had sailed on those old 20-40,000 GT ships for years, but they loved the new Fantasy class and went on every single one of them they could.

Well, they pre-booked a SPECIAL cruise in late 1996 (had to look up the launch) on the Carnival Destiny. The biggest cruise ship in the entire world. He bragged about it almost daily.

He came back from that trip singing a different tune. "That's entirely too big. No one will ever build a ship that size again. It was awful. Everything was so far apart. There were a million people on it. It was hard to do anything. Everything was out of scale. We hated it. They should never go bigger than 70,000 GT or so. This proves that cruising has hit the sweet spot!"

This many years later, that's all paraphrasing, but you get the point. He was so excited the Carnival was making 2 more of his favorite Fantasy class ships.

This was all the proof he needed that Carnival saw the error of its ways and went back to the sweet spot!

CCL does 6 and 8 day cruises. It's great for those that have scheduling conflicts and those that just want an extra day. This is what RCCL should do. :-)

RCCL is doign a 6/8 schedule with Indy this winter out of Fort Lauderdale.

Hmmm... the 'official' beam for the new Disney ships is 121', but they are a bit wasp-waisted, correct? Kinda wider at the ends than in the middle? Carnival Dream is 122' btw.

I agree with you, intrinsically. I'm interested to see the design for the Sunshine project but I'm not sure 4000 GRT extra tonnage is enough to offset 400 more people. I'm hoping that RCI doesn't go back to the days when they were amongst the lowest for tonnage per passenger.

I tend to go by the Lido deck & found the Lido deck on the Disney Fantasy to be lacking both in space & width! That being said the Atriums were grand as they were 3 decks high but the hallways around them were lacking in space! Also we were cruising Easter/Patriots week & the ship had 4800+ paying passengers & It felt it!

If there were an Oasis class ship doing longer Southern itineraries I would be on that in a heartbeat!
I would love to do the Souther Itinerary on an Oasis class ship out of Port Canaveral, MCO is much cheeper & easier to fly in & out of~

I tend to go by the Lido deck & found the Lido deck on the Disney Fantasy to be lacking both in space & width! That being said the Atriums were grand as they were 3 decks high but the hallways around them were lacking in space! Also we were cruising Easter/Patriots week & the ship had 4800+ paying passengers & It felt it!

Oh wow -- yeah, that would not be fun! :eek:

I would love to do the Souther Itinerary on an Oasis class ship out of Port Canaveral, MCO is much cheeper & easier to fly in & out of~

I love Port Canaveral! But I'll admit to being a bit biased there. :D

This was all the proof he needed that Carnival saw the error of its ways and went back to the sweet spot!

I feel confident your one example is an anomaly. Lets see...Carnival Fantasy or Allure of the Seas?? hmmm.....

And I would say with Sunshine that means an end to the inside Promenade as we know it. Perhaps a variation/combination of the Celebrity Solstice Class and the Freedom Class with three Centrums. This might be necessary to add more cabins to accommodate the 400 without reducing adequate cabin standards.

And I would say with Sunshine that means an end to the inside Promenade as we know it. Perhaps a variation/combination of the Celebrity Solstice Class and the Freedom Class with three Centrums. This might be necessary to add more cabins to accommodate the 400 without reducing adequate cabin standards.

And you have determined that the inside promenade "as we know it" is at an end based on what concrete evidence? So far RCI has released only the barest details and any conclusions that have been drawn based on the passenger capacity and GRT seem to me, at least, little more than base speculation. I think it might be wiser to await more details before we make any broad conclusions about these ships, their design and their contents.

Archived