Another Oasis-class to be built?

Someone said something about overcapacity in the cruise industry. This might be true, but don't forget that the economy is picking up and if this is true by the time they get the ship it will be at least 2-3 years from now. .

And over capacity doesn't mean you don't try and steal away your competitor's passengers. If this ship continues to be as successful and the competition has nothing like it, seems feasible. In recent weeks I've been participating in my own Allure roll call, but popping into several other Allure/Oasis Roll calls to see things like when the new menus are talked about, excursions or shows become available. While looking I see a lot of passengers for whom this is their first RCI cruise and have a history with other lines.

Royal caribbean didn't even have an option for a third vessel in the initial contract did they?

Seems like the Oasis-twins are doing better than rci anticipated!

It makes we think that maybe it would debut the same year Oasis would go into drydock and it would "take over" for the Oasis. Then when Oasis returns, Allure might go off for drydock while the new Genesis vessel takes the position of Allure. When Allure is done drydock then there can be three Oasis class ships in the warm Carribean. I would assume drydock would take a fair period of time just do to the size of the ship.

In the meantime hopefully new ports of call can start the dredging and dock building and possible a new home port as well??

Let the rumors run wild:D

Andrew

It makes we think that maybe it would debut the same year Oasis would go into drydock and it would "take over" for the Oasis. Then when Oasis returns, Allure might go off for drydock while the new Genesis vessel takes the position of Allure. When Allure is done drydock then there can be three Oasis class ships in the warm Carribean. I would assume drydock would take a fair period of time just do to the size of the ship.

In the meantime hopefully new ports of call can start the dredging and dock building and possible a new home port as well??

Andrew

Oasis is due for drydock in 2014 so the timing could work... Oasis was laid down in November 2007, floated out in November 2008 and christened in November 2009. So if a new Oasis class ship were started this year it could be completed in time for Oasis' drydock.

My understanding is that STX Finland doesn't have a great many orders on hand so that lends some credence to the Finnish gov't kicking in incentives to land a contract. Also means that things might move fairly quickly once started.

I wonder how this fits with the recent report of Barbados and RCCL enlarging the port to be able to handle Oasis-class ships. Between Barbados and the new Port of the Americas in Puerto Rico, it seems that RCCL could have one of the Oasis-class ships doing longer 10/11-day itineraries our of Fort Lauderdale to the Southern Caribbean.

I could see them keeping two ships in Fort Lauderdale, one doing Southern Caribbean and the other keeping the alternating Eastern/Western itineraries. That would free up the third ship to go to Port Canaveral.

A third Oasis class ship would be a perfect fit for Port Canaveral. Royal has always put one of their larger ships there and has done well. It could alternate Eastern/Western and visit the same ports as Allure/Oasis.

I have read that Port Canaveral is deepening their channel in hopes of getting an Oasis class ship. It would tie in well with folks wishing to add on to their Disney/Univeral vacations.

Plus - its a 3 hour closer drive for me!!!

The channel is already deeper than the cruise ship berths.

According to the TV news here in Finland, the shipyard STX Finland requires the Finnish government to participate in the project with 200 million euros. Decisions wont probably be made yet tomorrow as predicted earlier. The Finnish state-owned export financing agency, Finnvera, still has a 1,5 billion euro financial responsibility with Royal Caribbean's previous orders.

I wonder how this fits with the recent report of Barbados and RCCL enlarging the port to be able to handle Oasis-class ships. Between Barbados and the new Port of the Americas in Puerto Rico, it seems that RCCL could have one of the Oasis-class ships doing longer 10/11-day itineraries our of Fort Lauderdale to the Southern Caribbean.

I could see them keeping two ships in Fort Lauderdale, one doing Southern Caribbean and the other keeping the alternating Eastern/Western itineraries. That would free up the third ship to go to Port Canaveral.

This was going through my mind as well. They would just have to arrange that 2 Oasis Class ships aren't in Port Everglades at the same time. Invision the caos:eek: at pier 18.

I'd take a few more days onboard:D for that route, or a few more days on any cruise ship for that matter.

Yea, it is interesting. There will be so much time between ships, it'll probably be a second generation Oasis Class with subtle differences....like how Vision and Voyager Classes have dfferent generation designs.

Makes me wonder what else is in the works. I heard rumor a little while back they were considering a new cruise port capable of handling Oasis in Ponce, PR, among other places.

Not the best airport, although Jet Blue flies there. But I guess the "build it and they will come" philosophy would add more to that. It is only about an hour or so (if I remember correctly) from SJU, so I guess that would work too.

The rumor about the port expansion is true and the port currently has a 50 foot max depth, so Oasis class could get in depending on dock / port facilities. This would reportedly also trigger a runway lengthening to improve the airport. Barbados is also indicated as a port enhancement as well. The stars are aligning........

Andrew

Now Andrew, I thought from a previous thread you had a plan for a Canada based port - somewhere near your farm??? :D;)

Maybe it will be for the growing Asian cruise market and based in Singapore. Could be the floating equivalent of an A380. ;)

Actually I could see this. Part of the year in Asia and part of the year in Australia. Similar to the Voyager. These are two of faster growing areas for cruising. I don't think we will see three Oasis class ships based out of Florida.

The rumor about the port expansion is true and the port currently has a 50 foot max depth, so Oasis class could get in depending on dock / port facilities. This would reportedly also trigger a runway lengthening to improve the airport. Barbados is also indicated as a port enhancement as well. The stars are aligning........

I don't think we will see three Oasis class ships based out of Florida.

Hmmmm. Year round from SJU to the Southern Caribbean, 2 stops including Barbados and Ponce perhaps? ;)

Hmmmm. Year round from SJU to the Southern Caribbean, 2 stops including Barbados and Ponce perhaps? ;)

Paul - Thought you were thinking Ponce as the home port?? Can SJU currently handle Oasis class? I guess the other question is what other typical S. Car. ports could handle to allow 3 - 4 ports of call?

All good popcorn material.

Is RCI really willing to pony up another $2bil+ or is the Finnish gov't so desperate to get work into Turku that they'll load up on the incentives...

The European economy continues to struggle. I am not surprised the Finnish govt is heavily involved in this contract.

Although a few new features might be added, the bulk of the design is already done. That is a huge amount of money Royal won't have to shell out.

Freedom is consistently sold out+. I wouldn't be surprised to see a larger ship homeport at Port Canaveral. The Canaveral Port Authority, and Brevard County are very aggressive in seeking new and increased business. An Oasis class ship would fit into their plans very nicely.

Europe could be a possibility as rumours recently suggested Barcelona was in talks with RCI about Oasis being there in 2014.

Most probably they will be doing the same as Carnival is doing with the Destiny next year. Send her over for dry dock, do some Europeans cruises and than come back to the States in the fall.

Archived