Another Oasis-class to be built?

Actually I could see this. Part of the year in Asia and part of the year in Australia. Similar to the Voyager. These are two of faster growing areas for cruising. I don't think we will see three Oasis class ships based out of Florida.

Asia is what came to mind right away when I saw this thread. Months ago I had seen a video and article about a new cruise ship terminal in Hong Kong. In the article it mentions berthing two mega ships up to 220,000 tons.

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/cruise/eng/terminals_Kai_Tak.jsp

The ship in the video has an OASIS look to it

This was going through my mind as well. They would just have to arrange that 2 Oasis Class ships aren't in Port Everglades at the same time. Invision the caos:eek: at pier 18.

That shouldn't be to hard with one ship on 7-night itineraries and the other on alternating 10/11-night ones. For example, the 7-night cruises could be Sunday-Sunday, the 10-night Friday-Monday, and the 11-night Monday-Friday. You'll never have more than one ship in port.

Paul - Thought you were thinking Ponce as the home port?? Can SJU currently handle Oasis class? I guess the other question is what other typical S. Car. ports could handle to allow 3 - 4 ports of call?

All good popcorn material.

Not with the current POS terminal in SJ...that's for sure. Nothing more than fodder on my part of course......just voicing thoughts.

Definitely good popcorn material. ;)

Would they have three Genesis Class ships leaving from Eastern Floridian ports? It seems as if Genesis III at Port Canaveral would kind of steal some passengers from her sisters in Port Everglades. Also when we sailed Freedom on February, the cruise terminal building was full to capacity. I can't imagine passengers of a fully loaded Genesis III squeezed into that space. It seems as if Royal would need a terminal as big as Terminal 18 at Port Everglades.

All that said, I am so hyper-excited to hear that a thrid Genesis Class ship might be looming on the horizon and I plan to be on the innaugural cruise. (Say, Horizon of the Seas! I like that name.)

That shouldn't be to hard with one ship on 7-night itineraries and the other on alternating 10/11-night ones. For example, the 7-night cruises could be Sunday-Sunday, the 10-night Friday-Monday, and the 11-night Monday-Friday. You'll never have more than one ship in port.

You got it. I'd gladly take 2 weeks off work for a 10 day or longer cruise.:D. It would be even better flying in and out of FLL on week days.

Now Andrew, I thought from a previous thread you had a plan for a Canada based port - somewhere near your farm??? :D;)

Sssssh!! No one needs to know. Just haven't figured how to float her up the St Lawrence Seaway, and past that blasted Niagra Falls. :p At least I wouldn't need to show up at 11am on embarkation day and I could take the chopper off standbye.

Sssssh!! No one needs to know. Just haven't figured how to float her up the St Lawrence Seaway, and past that blasted Niagra Falls. :p At least I wouldn't need to show up at 11am on embarkation day and I could take the chopper off standbye.

Think you just need to buy a place in FLL - maybe put a flowrider in the back yard. Oh wait - that's already been done!

Would they have three Genesis Class ships leaving from Eastern Floridian ports? It seems as if Genesis III at Port Canaveral would kind of steal some passengers from her sisters in Port Everglades. Also when we sailed Freedom on February, the cruise terminal building was full to capacity. I can't imagine passengers of a fully loaded Genesis III squeezed into that space. It seems as if Royal would need a terminal as big as Terminal 18 at Port Everglades.

All that said, I am so hyper-excited to hear that a thrid Genesis Class ship might be looming on the horizon and I plan to be on the innaugural cruise. (Say, Horizon of the Seas! I like that name.)

For those who may not understand "Genesis Class", here is the explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_class_cruise_ship

I think it's safe to say that under no circumstances would it be acceptable to put "G3" just at any port... It would have to be as streamlined as Terminal 18 and essentially glitch free since a good population of the cruisers who would sail the newest triplet have already sailed the twins and have high standards for those 13 minutes it takes to board. This alone is huge infrastructure to add to any existing port. Realistically though I can't see them adding a 3rd to Port Everglades even if its doing 10/11 nights - that alone is 18,000 pax each "week".

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

It sure will be interesting in the next couple of years. I do like the Port Canaveral idea as that area has seen a lot of growth and port improvements.

We were recently on the Explorer, and the rumor (as far as rumors go) is that they expect the Freedom to replace the Explorer in the future.

While I am not sure the economics of the situation, methinks that fuel charges alone (which is becoming a huge expense) favor larger ships, as generally larger ships move through the water more efficiently, so the cost per passenger might very well be less with the Oasis than smaller ships.

Maybe it will be for the growing Asian cruise market and based in Singapore. Could be the floating equivalent of an A380. ;)

More like ten a380s. Asia would be interesting. Having sailed RCCL there I am not sure Oasis class would be as good of a fit and think ports of call would be very limited for that size cruise ship.

Asia is what came to mind right away when I saw this thread. Months ago I had seen a video and article about a new cruise ship terminal in Hong Kong. In the article it mentions berthing two mega ships up to 220,000 tons.

I also agree theres a high chance it could be based in Asia, as long as they built infrastructure to support these ships at the smaller more tropical ports. However there is no way Australia has the facilities to handle an Oasis Class Ship (unless it was just a stop over)

In looking for current Port Canaveral capabilities I found this document. It is very interesting and those wishing for an Oasis Class ship at PC can use this to see if it is possible.

http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/Divisions/Planning/Branches/Environmental/DOCS/OnLine/Brevard/CanaveralHarbor/Sec203/Vol3-Subpart-CanaveralHarbor-FL-Sec203-EcoApp_Mar2012.pdf

In my own opinion, given the current capacity of the passenger terminals, transportation areas being fully utilized/occupied and cramped parking, I doubt that there will be such a ship at PC. There is little real estate available for any massive expansion.

That's right.

Also, the Marina Bay International Cruise Terminal in Singapore was built with the Oasis class in mind. Already operational.

Hmmmm. Year round from SJU to the Southern Caribbean, 2 stops including Barbados and Ponce perhaps? ;)

Paul,

Your memory might be better than mine but didn't the Oasis or Allure stop in St. Kitts last year? I believe it was December on a short run. That would certainly add another southern caribbean port.

Paul,

Your memory might be better than mine but didn't the Oasis or Allure stop in St. Kitts last year? I believe it was December on a short run. That would certainly add another southern caribbean port.

If it did, that would be news to me. I've never heard of them diverting from their usual ports. It does seem like it would be an easy port to approach though....sorta like St. Martin's set up.

If it did, that would be news to me. I've never heard of them diverting from their usual ports. It does seem like it would be an easy port to approach though....sorta like St. Martin's set up.

From the RCI blog: http://www.*****.com/2012/01/03/allure-seas-visits-st-kitts-first-time

In looking for current Port Canaveral capabilities I found this document. It is very interesting and those wishing for an Oasis Class ship at PC can use this to see if it is possible.

http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/Divisions/Planning/Branches/Environmental/DOCS/OnLine/Brevard/CanaveralHarbor/Sec203/Vol3-Subpart-CanaveralHarbor-FL-Sec203-EcoApp_Mar2012.pdf

Interesting quote from that document:

RCI has been in contact with the CPA concerning Oasis Class vessels using Port Canaveral as a potential port of call and as a port of refuge during emergency conditions. Under without-project conditions, including interim channel modifications, Oasis Class vessels are too large to operate in Canaveral Harbor’s Federal channels on a regularly scheduled basis. Simulation-based evaluations conducted for the Oasis Class indicate an Oasis Class vessel could potentially operate in Port Canaveral in a limited fashion under with-project conditions, however; Oasis Class vessels are not projected to use Port Canaveral and the benefits calculations do not include any benefits related to Oasis Class vessels.

can i book this now???? I want cabin 6666 please...second dining....lol

great idea

LOL -- I'll fight you for it! I booked this cabin (6666) on my Allure cruise and the Loyalty Ambassador thought I was crazy. He kept trying to get me to change it because of the number. :D

I heard rumor a little while back they were considering a new cruise port capable of handling Oasis in Ponce, PR, among other places.

Paul - Thought you were thinking Ponce as the home port??

Ponce is a nice place, and suitable for a day trip while on vacation in Puerto Rico, but I SERIOUSLY doubt that a place like this city would EVER be the homeport for a ship like Oasis (or ANY cruise ship for that matter). During the last few years, it has generated very little interest from the cruise industry, with a handful of visits from smaller cruise ships from lines like Holland America.

Even if the interest was there, this small city (roughly the size of Madison, Wisconsin) would need MASSIVE upgrades to handle the influx of passengers boarding every week.

• They only have a limited number of hotels (largest one being a 150 room Hilton).
  • The airport is currently served by ONE airline (Jetblue) offering 2-3 flights a day TOTAL.
  • While the port is deep enough to handle large ships, it's mostly a cargo port with very limited passenger facilities.
  • San Juan is about a 1 hour drive, but developing the infrastructure to move passengers from the San Juan airport to Ponce is currently NOT there.

Not the best airport, although Jet Blue flies there. But I guess the "build it and they will come" philosophy would add more to that. It is only about an hour or so (if I remember correctly) from SJU, so I guess that would work too.

The rumor about the port expansion is true and the port currently has a 50 foot max depth, so Oasis class could get in depending on dock / port facilities. This would reportedly also trigger a runway lengthening to improve the airport........

Once again, seriously doubt it. Ponce has, for decades, tried to attract airlines to their airport and besides Jet Blue, they've failed miserably. Continental/United came and left, American came and left, Delta came and left, even little Cape Air couldn't generate any revenue from there.

Ponce already tried to attract more airlines by lengthening their runway and widening it to meet some airline standards. They built it and nobody came....

Local passengers (me included) have NEVER been supportive of flights from Ponce. We prefer to drive to San Juan to catch a flight. In an island the size of Puerto Rico, it doesn't make much sense to have two major airports, although an alternate airport (in Aguadilla) is definitely welcomed by those of us who live on the west part of the island, 2-3 hours away from San Juan.

Ponce is a nice place, and suitable for a day trip while on vacation in Puerto Rico, but I SERIOUSLY doubt that a place like this city would EVER be the homeport for a ship like Oasis (or ANY cruise ship for that matter). During the last few years, it has generated very little interest from the cruise industry, with a handful of visits from smaller cruise ships from lines like Holland America.

Even if the interest was there, this small city (roughly the size of Madison, Wisconsin) would need MASSIVE upgrades to handle the influx of passengers boarding every week.

• They only have a limited number of hotels (largest one being a 150 room Hilton).
  • The airport is currently served by ONE airline (Jetblue) offering 2-3 flights a day TOTAL.
  • While the port is deep enough to handle large ships, it's mostly a cargo port with very limited passenger facilities.
  • San Juan is about a 1 hour drive, but developing the infrastructure to move passengers from the San Juan airport to Ponce is currently NOT there.

Although a number of years ago I used to travel to PR on business frequently and have had the pleasure of visiting most of that beautiful island. It is one of my favorite places with wonderful people. I have stayed at the Hilton to which you refer and am somewhat - although as indicated years ago - familiar with Ponce (as well as Mayaquez) and agree with your assessment.

However there are published reports regarding major port enhancements apparently already approved - likely primarily to attract increased commercial traffic - tied in with reports to expand the Ponce airport runway to 8,000 ft.

This at least provides good fodder for rumor and speculation - which is all I ascribe to with this - leading to if perhaps these improvements are in place then maybe the cruise industry will follow. But again your (first hand) assesment is likely more the case - just fun to speculate.

BTW - like your screen name. Many a night there filled with the sounds of Coqui......

Archived