Another Oasis-class to be built?

And you have determined that the inside promenade "as we know it" is at an end based on what concrete evidence?

I speculated that based on the laws of physics and that you can't put 10 lbs of "stuff" in a 5 lb bag. Some space has to be allocated to make room for 150 - 200 more cabins. Likely the ships will not be as wide as Freedom Class given the size limitations at the shipyard. Also, I didn't say the Promenade would go away, just be different.

Now back to the speculation on a third Oasis Class ship!!!!

And you have determined that the inside promenade "as we know it" is at an end based on what concrete evidence? So far RCI has released only the barest details and any conclusions that have been drawn based on the passenger capacity and GRT seem to me, at least, little more than base speculation. I think it might be wiser to await more details before we make any broad conclusions about these ships, their design and their contents.

Aww come on!!:D

Where's the fun if you cann't guess, hope, speculate, wonder, play amateur cruise ship designer on what the new ships have. ;)

Iwas undeer the same impression

They did go back to a smaller ship. It is called the Sunshine Project which has two ships due out in 2014 and 2015. Those ships will be smaller than the Oasis/Allure ships but slightly larger than the Freedom Class ship. This thread is speculating on reports that after the Sunshine Project ships are built, RCI will be building another Oasis class vessel.

Building the Sunshine ships doesn't preclude them from then building another larger vessel the size of Oasis or Allure or even something larger.

• 3 weeks later...
Well at least RCI has confirmed the talks. I hope that it happens. Would love to see another Oasis class ship.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/News/News-Headlines/Royal-Caribbean-confirms-talks-for-possible-Oasis-type-newbuild.html

Capacity Additions

The company noted that it is engaged in negotiations for the possible construction of an Oasis-type newbuild that would be delivered in middle to late 2016. While the company has not entered into any agreement at this time, it hopes to do so before year's end. The new ship is expected to cost less on a per berth basis than either of the first two Oasis-class vessels.

"The Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas have proven themselves to be exceptionally attractive ships by generating the highest guest satisfaction ratings in the fleet coupled with very compelling financial returns," said Richard D. Fain, chairman and chief executive officer. Fain continued, "Ordering another such ship for delivery in 2016, at a lower cost, with better energy efficiency is very consistent with our balanced goals of prudent growth, return improvement and debt reduction."

http://www.4-traders.com/ROYAL-CARIBBEAN-CRUISES-L-14206/news/Royal-Caribbean-Cruises-Ltd-Royal-Caribbean-Reports-Third-Quarter-Results-And-Updates-2012-Guidan-15422731/

Well at least RCI has confirmed the talks. I hope that it happens. Would love to see another Oasis class ship.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/News/News-Headlines/Royal-Caribbean-confirms-talks-for-possible-Oasis-type-newbuild.html

What I found especially interesting in the report were the words "Oasis-type" so to me that reads as if they do go ahead with this newbuild then she won't be the same as her sisters which if they plan to sail her in a different parts of the world makes sense.

Now there is at least tangible and reliable evidence confirming what until now was only a rumor. Both of the Sunshine project ships will have debuted by then and, unless some new innovations are planned for this third Oasis class ship, news about it should not prove a distraction from all of the details still to be released about Sunshine ships.

What I found especially interesting in the report were the words "Oasis-type" so to me that reads as if they do go ahead with this newbuild then she won't be the same as her sisters which if they plan to sail her in a different parts of the world makes sense.

Makes sense. I remember reading something early in the development of the Genesis project that mentioned how the live plants in Central Park would not survive colder climates.

At least we now have a reliable confirmation about something that until now was only a rumor. And with an expected 2016 delivery date, well after the second Sunshine project ship has debuted, the new ship may not prove to be a distraction as they ramp up publicity about the Sunshine project. Also good to hear that the most recent quarterly performance has given them confidence needed to continue adding to their fleet. By the time that contracts have been signed for the new ship, they will have had more than enough time to evaluate what works and what doesn't work on the first two and make whatever adjustments might be necessary. Whether that will mean adding new features or just improvements to the existing features will be interesting to observe.:)

The more I think about it, the more I think that a third Oasis-class ship would allow them to switch one of the Freedom-class ships to a 3/4-day Bahamas itinerary. Disney has had great success with a large ship on this route.

The more I think about it, the more I think that a third Oasis-class ship would allow them to switch one of the Freedom-class ships to a 3/4-day Bahamas itinerary. Disney has had great success with a large ship on this route.

With the initial report sounding like this would be an Oasis-sized Sunshine ship, that ship would be insanely profitable for 3/4 Bahamas.

Sounds like it would be the same size with a higher number of passengers and probably including weatherproofing for winter trips elsewhere.

Bring on the cattle calls!

It will be interesting to see where they would put it if they do get a third. it really wouldnt be smart to put it in South Florida as they already have the two ships there doing the same itinerary. I wonder if they would be thinking of the Asia Market. There seem to be more ships headed that direction

Like they did with Freedom from a Voyager class design... a Oasis-stretch design.:)

At least we now have a reliable confirmation about something that until now was only a rumor. And with an expected 2016 delivery date, well after the second Sunshine project ship has debuted, the new ship may not prove to be a distraction as they ramp up publicity about the Sunshine project. Also good to hear that the most recent quarterly performance has given them confidence needed to continue adding to their fleet. By the time that contracts have been signed for the new ship, they will have had more than enough time to evaluate what works and what doesn't work on the first two and make whatever adjustments might be necessary. Whether that will mean adding new features or just improvements to the existing features will be interesting to observe.:)

I agree Bill. I think most of what is on the two twins works now but it will give RCI the opportunity to make some modifications or improvements.

It will be interesting to see where they would put it if they do get a third. it really wouldnt be smart to put it in South Florida as they already have the two ships there doing the same itinerary. I wonder if they would be thinking of the Asia Market. There seem to be more ships headed that direction

Where they put it and where it goes. Three years to guess and watch for clues.

Where they would put it will primarily depend on what ports can accommodate ships of that size. Not sure that would include many, if any, ports in Asia but perhaps someone has more detailed information in that regard. San Juan might be a possible home port if there are ports in the Southern Caribbean that have the facilities to handle an Oasis class ship. Certainly with a 2016 debut date, there could be additional islands both willing and able to improve their infrastructure to accommodate such a large ship. Europe might also be a viable alternative, again dependent upon the existence of sufficient ports of call that can be visited by an Oasis class vessel. We have lots of time to speculate and I would suggest checking on a regular basis to see how many islands announce plans to upgrade their port facilities to handle the largest ships.

Explorer (Voyager Class) -> Radiance (Radiance Class) -> Adventure (Voyager Class) -> Brilliance (Radiance Class) -> Navigator (2nd Gen Voyager Class) -> Serenade (Radiance Class) -> Mariner (2nd Gen Voyager Class) -> Jewel (Radiance Class)

Archived