How to avoid tipping in Miami port?

elifnena

I think you actually put your bags on the scale (for weighing the bags), not on the conveyor belt. Can't remember the last time I didn't put our bag(s) on a conveyor belt. At least for checked bags.

Carryon bags, yes, on the conveyor belt into the xray machine.

These guys work hard, do their jobs and deserve a tip. Bob:)

Yes they do! But consider this. If they handle 100 cabins of luggage( 2 per) at $5 each that's $500 on top of their pay. I'll bet they don't tell the IRS about it.

Even at one ship per week that's over $25,000 per year in tips!!!!

Good work if you can get it.

I think you actually put your bags on the scale (for weighing the bags), not on the conveyor belt. Can't remember the last time I didn't put our bag(s) on a conveyor belt. At least for checked bags.

No, we actually put them on the conveyer belt - that whisks them away into the bowels of the airport. Only for US flights, when we've pre-cleared customs and immigration. For Canadian flights and other international flights, they're taken from the weigh scale onto the belt by the agent.

Actually, I think there are two discussions going on here, which might be causing some confusion.......one is about actually transporting/carrying your bags from the dock onto the ship (that would be the stevedores), and the other is about transporting/carrying your bags from the curb when you step out of the taxi to the loading area where the ship is docked (that would be porters). I think that's what I've been reading here (my interpretation is like Lou33's).

At the previous ports where I've sailed, we were allowed to transport our own bags to the dockside if we wanted, though porters were available to help if we desired. We were not required to hand over our luggage as soon as we stepped out of the cab......and I can't think of a single reasonable reason why we would have to. That would be like everyone being required to use a red-cap porter to transport your luggage from the door of the airport terminal building to the ticketing agent.

Actually in Toronto you can get the baggage tags from the machine , then you go through to the US section & YOU put your bags on the conveyer belt

You then go through security

Not all airports operate the same

In USA ports you need to give your luggage to the porters. There are no crew members who are allowed to work on the pier.

That's the way it works.

Keith

That depends on who the porters are and who the stevedores are. I typically see who I think the porters are after the cruise, trying to take you through immigration and outside. When we arrive at the start of the cruise, we hand the luggage over to the people who put them in the bins that get taken to the ship and I tip them. If I arrive in a car, I pull right up to the bins, if it's a bus or shuttle van, we carry our stuff to the bins. I believe those people I'm dealing with are the stevedores. If not, no biggie. I don't really care what their title is. I tip them.

And yes, as a few have said, when you go through a Canadian airport to the US, that has US pre-clearance, you carry your luggage through immigration and put it on the luggage belt yourself.

the last cruise i went on the porter ACTUALLY SAID...if you want to see your luggage on the ship i would recommend tipping...after that i do not sympathize with these people, is it hard work, sure it is and they have a choice. will i tip them, yes because i dont want to be ghetto blackmailed to not receive my luggage.

I have not seen a place at the port where you can just drop off the luggage yourself.

You would have to hand it over to a porter.

Keith

On our last cruise out of San Juan, the porters were still helping people get off the ship when we got there and no porter was around to help. It wasn't a big deal since we didn't have much stuff but just wanted to point out that we did drop all our luggage off inside the terminal in front of the x-ray machines where others had left their bags and that no porters were available to help.

Edited by erby2283

Even at one ship per week that's over $25,000 per year in tips!!!!

Good work if you can get it.

That's some really kooky math. You don't get work every week, there are more members of the union than there are jobs. You have to pay union dues, get credentialed at your expense...and then do some serious wait time to get a porter job. Its also really expensive to live here in Miami.

End of day, do what you feel is right. But if $5.00 is going to make or break you, then I really think you should consider skipping the expense of a trip.

Good grief people! "if you can't afford 5 dollars reconsider... blah blah blah"

Why does everyone feel the need to be so rude?

How in the world was that rude? Thinking "I'll stiff the guy $5....now that's rude!"

Like I said, do what you think is right... :cool:

This is always a great board.

I really think we've beat this one to death.

Keith

I agree Keith!!!

My opinion has always been.....why in the world would I spend a lot of money for a nice cruise and then worry about $2 per bag for my luggage?

I happily pay them and smile all the way to the terminal because I'm about to go on this wonderful cruise!!!

Believe me I get my $2 worth of fun once I step onboard......;)

Happy Sailing Everybody!!!!

I agree Keith!!!

My opinion has always been.....why in the world would I spend a lot of money for a nice cruise and then worry about $2 per bag for my luggage?

I happily pay them and smile all the way to the terminal because I'm about to go on this wonderful cruise!!!

Believe me I get my $2 worth of fun once I step onboard......;)

Happy Sailing Everybody!!!!

I agree, but we have beat this one to death. :D

Keith

End of day, do what you feel is right. But if $5.00 is going to make or break you, then I really think you should consider skipping the expense of a trip.

Should have ended with the red, Miamiyogi. :)

Going on to tell people they should skip a trip because they might not want to tip what you do, is beyond helpful. You are usually helpful and not critical of posters.:confused: Bad day?;)

Edited by eandj

Its not really the $2.00 per say--its the adding it all up--We cruised out of Ft lauderdale last year and when I started adding up everyone we tipped-it was crazy-

-Porter at airport

-taxi driver to hotel

-baggage handler at hotel (we wanted to take the bags ourselves and told him that--he just loaded them up anyway and started pushing the cart)

-waiters/waitress (normal)

-taxi driver to restaurant

-water taxi driver--everytime we got off--the stupid tip jar is right there-and they tell all the stories about how they are students or seasonal workers

-taxi driver to port

-porters at port

-taxi drivers in port

-tour guides in port

-spa personnel on board

-camp carnival

-room service

--then back to debarkation to tip porters-taxi/shuttle drivers-hotel bellman, and airline porters again when heading home

(and of course the tips to the crew while cruising--we do cash tips there also)

So, needless to say, it can really add up fast.

Whatever happened to just earning a salary??? I am gonna start expecting tips for being a mom taxi soon:):)

For the people who give responses like "if you cant afford to go on vacation stay home"--well thats just rude. All people deserve to relax and have fun--and who are you to say just because they want to budget they should not do that? I guess only the elitist, know it alls should vacation.

Its not really the $2.00 per say--its the adding it all up--We cruised out of Ft lauderdale last year and when I started adding up everyone we tipped-it was crazy-

-Porter at airport

-taxi driver to hotel

-baggage handler at hotel (we wanted to take the bags ourselves and told him that--he just loaded them up anyway and started pushing the cart)

-waiters/waitress (normal)

-taxi driver to restaurant

-water taxi driver--everytime we got off--the stupid tip jar is right there-and they tell all the stories about how they are students or seasonal workers

-taxi driver to port

-porters at port

-taxi drivers in port

-tour guides in port

-spa personnel on board

-camp carnival

-room service

--then back to debarkation to tip porters-taxi/shuttle drivers-hotel bellman, and airline porters again when heading home

(and of course the tips to the crew while cruising--we do cash tips there also)

So, needless to say, it can really add up fast.

Whatever happened to just earning a salary??? I am gonna start expecting tips for being a mom taxi soon:):)

For the people who give responses like "if you cant afford to go on vacation stay home"--well thats just rude. All people deserve to relax and have fun--and who are you to say just because they want to budget they should not do that? I guess only the elitist, know it alls should vacation.

I am not sure if you realize that some of the positions that you mentioned make almost no salary and are dependent on tips such as the people who work on the ship in the spa or the waiters/waitresses not only on the ship but on land.

Keith

I am not sure if you realize that some of the positions that you mentioned make almost no salary and are dependent on tips such as the people who work on the ship in the spa or the waiters/waitresses not only on the ship but on land.

Keith

Where did i say they all make great salaries?? I said i was surprised when i added up everyone who were we expected to tip. I understand some professions (hisroically waiters and waitresses) are paid low and rely on tips. But you say the spa people make nothing? This is the first i have heard that. I have a hard time believing they work almost solely on tips. I have no problem tipping waiters and waitesses its all the other people that we are expected to tip. Good for those who have lots of money. I dont and i also work very hard for a salary

Whatever happened to just earning a salary??? [/qutoe]

Sorry it just doesn't work that way in the U.S.

All people deserve to relax and have fun

Sorry it doesn't work like that either, its not a perfect world. If saving $5 is that much to you, then you can't afford this vacation.

When you budget for your trip, you need to consider that tipping is part of the equation, thats just the way it is. I didn't start this system, and I don't think its going to change anytime soon.

If you think pointing out the obvious is rude, then so be it.

Don't forget that porter needs to earn a living too, and trust me, he doesn't make enough to go on the ship he's loading for you.

Personally I over tip, always. I don't wanna be the one at dinner dressed in my bathrobe because my luggage is still on the curb. Let the people do their jobs, treat them with respect, tip as needed and dress for dinner. Words to live by. :o

Why? Seriously......I appreciate the option and take advantage of the service frequently, but I don't respond positively to "have to"s, "must"s, and not having the option without a sensible reason.

A sensible reason, is that it is the porter/dock workers job. That is why they are there. They make sure luggage is tagged, and place it on the cart. Cruisers may tag their own luggage, they may get their own luggage out of the car/taxi they arrive in, and they may even carry it to the location to which it is to be loaded onto the cart. Once arriving at the location, the porter/dock worker takes over and actually loads the luggage onto the cart. End of story.