700 cruisers stranded

MrYellowDuck

I wondered that too??

Weather!!! :rolleyes:

they wont be seeing Dunedin or Milford Sound because of the weather so maybe thats why they are unhappy and they may expect some compo but we have missed different ports and never received anything

someone posted on the roll call about the Sea P

G'Day from the sea Princess,

we are currently in Akaroa and will be here till noon today sunday the 14th

as there was 700 passengers and crew left on shore as tendering become very dangerous the captain just announced at 9:00am 1/2 hour ago that tendering the 700 across will happen after noon today all being well .. by then the Wind will have died down

Every one is Safe and well onshore or on the boat the Captain has been Extremely good in Keeping us all informed this has stopped the onboard Rumors

he has announced that we will not be going to Dunedin or to the Fjord lands but will be returning home by the Cook Strait which is between the south and north islands for the safety of his passengers

I have stated that the Captain is Invisible BUT I Highly commend Him at this time with the updates at this time

again every one is Safe and Well and Having a Great time

We will be in Sydney on Time

Unhappy at Princess and the captain or the conditions that interfered with their trip?

i reread the OP and maybe they were unhappy with

Supper was one slice of bread and half a breakfast sausage

Thanks for the update. We have a friend on this cruise. Since embarking, he's emailed us on the things he's done/seen during port stops. The passed few days, we haven't heard from him. I'm guessing email is sporadic. I will post a soon as we hear from him. Happy to hear the Sea Princess Captain is handling the situation well and that everyone on shore is being taken care of.

Compared with the usual food on a cruise ship, that isn't much, but there are many people in the world who would be happy with a slice of bread and half a breakfast sausage as a meal. :D

Sorry if anything thinks my comment was glib, but this was an emergency situation and I'm sure everyone went to a lot of trouble to make sure the stranded people were looked after. Even the pharmacist stayed open to supply necessary medication.

I would have thought that after being on the ship for 22 Days a lighter meal may do their waist line some good.

The main thing is that they are safe and well, imagine if they had been at sea, then there would be unhappy and sea sick passengers.

At least they have had an adventure that can be reproduced for any amount of money.

All are well and safe and that is #1.

The most efficient of weather prediction sources are never 100% correct and things like this can happen.

It would make for a unique port call and add a touch of adventure to the cruise... if one has the attitude to see it this way?:rolleyes:

I'm sure most of the stranded will make a good time of it and will have more memories than they expected during their cruise and that is a bonus in itself. :)

Our Caribbean Princess TA was like that. We could not get into Dublin because of 80MPH wind, and the seas were pretty wild. I did not get seasick but because our cabin was in the very front, I could not sleep, and sneaked down to sleep on a couch in one of the bars. It hit us several times coming across. We were held in Iceland for 18 hrs, but were able to make up enough time because of the massive trailing wind to make Qaqortoq in Greenland. The rest was a tea and cake run. But overall was a fantastic cruise. Not only did the Captain show great judgement, he kept us well informed. I don't hope for this kind of weather in the future, but I don't regret the trip at all.

Doug

they wont be seeing Dunedin or Milford Sound because of the weather so maybe thats why they are unhappy and they may expect some compo but we have missed different ports and never received anything

We were stuck at the pier for Dunedin overnight due to strong winds that snapped mooring lines so we unfortunately missed the next day in Christchurch...stuff happens & we understood why it was necessary. One angry women told the captain how upset she was about missing Christchurch & he calmly informed her that we would have missed the remainder of our cruise due to damaging the ship if we had tried to sail the night before.

It appears they're talking care of their passengers as well as possible & everyone is safe which is great!

The title of this thread should be "Sea Princess forced to strand 762 in Akaroa, New Zealand because of inclement weather". :rolleyes:

I can understand the OP's frustration, but there would have been angry folks if the Captain had decided to skip the port entirely. Obviously, he thought it was safe enough to tender in the morning and the afternoon otherwise, those folks would never have gone ashore. Does she really think that Princess wanted to incur the costs associated with having to put all those folks up into hotels and shelters?? :confused:

Other then receiving a refund for port taxes we have not received anything additional either.

Compared with the usual food on a cruise ship, that isn't much, but there are many people in the world who would be happy with a slice of bread and half a breakfast sausage as a meal. :D

Yahbut, my boy is a skinny, high metabolism 10 year old VEGETARIAN. Now you have me worried. He gets cranky without lots of food.

Per the bridgecam, they are still sitting in a now very pretty harbor.

Akaroa, NZ, where Sea Princess now is, is only a small town of 600 people, more than that went ashore from Sea Princess. Some were bedded down there for the night, others were taken to Christchurch (the earthquake city), a 1 hour drive.

Great that all are OK.

We have jusst returned from 75 day Pacific circle cruise on Dawn Princess and 12 passengers were stranded on a glacier overnight as the weather closed in while we were on the dogsled adventure and the helecopters couldnt return us to Juneau. This situation was another where mother nature didnt do as planned but we couldnt praise Princess highly enough in what they had to do to get us back to the ship. 1 night on the glacier then 2 nights accomodation and 2 flights later we were back on board. Unfortunately difficult situations arise from time to time that are unavoidable. The passengers welfare and safety was allways number 1 priority in our case and Im sure the Sea Princess's descision would be made for the safety of all passengers.

I wish more cruisers understood that ultimately we are all at the mercy of the weather and if conditions make it unsafe to follow the schedule then so be it. Can you imagine the uproar if the Sea Princess captain had run the tenders to get these pax back on board no matter how dangerous and unpleasant the sea conditions and then headed out to open sea where it would have been x10 worse? I can hear the screams for pain and suffering (and compensation and lawsuits, natch) from here :rolleyes:

Hi All

Safety comes first its as simple as that,

there is still a story on the news section of a tender running aground on another cruise,

having done night tender in rough seas not fun, for old folks, having the tender bounce up and down past the boarding deck, as crew pushes you out of the tender for others to catch you as you zoom past the deck is just a bit scary.

The weather can change very fast, while on the Emerald last month the Commordore said he had never seen weather like it while in Greenock,

from calm sunshine, to thick fog, to gale force winds hail stones etc back to calm sunshine, weather changed every 15 mins,

We should all know, the sea is the boss, our plans are all subject to her approval.

yours Shogun

Archived