Where is Enchantment?

joe6666

Greetings:

I saw the posts inquiring on the wherebouts and/or questions as to why the Enchantment docked in Norfolk on Thursday. The ship is fine - no problems - there was a medical emergency (heart attack I believe) and the patient - while doing well - needed to get to a hospital. The emergency stop was very smooth and did not take anything away from the cruise. Actually - it was interesting to see the Norfolk dock!

We had a great cruise and were happy to hear that the emergency patient was doing ok. Looking forward to our next cruise in December!

With all the people taking refunds and getting off the ship I hope the remaining passengers were able to snag some nice upgrades.

I cruise at sea is generally better than going to work.

A less than full ship would be a lot of fun too.

Was wanting to know from the people that got off the Enchantment were you able to get all your luggage to take off with you? This is a concern for me. I will have a large carry on, but will also have a checkin that is larger, and am concerned if we get the same offer on Explorer, I want ALL my luggage to come back with me. :eek:

I wondered about them heading Northeast. This storm is traveling up from the South towards the North so to me it would make more sense to head South towards places where the storm is already out.

But what do I know?:D

Or maybe the Captain changed his mind about being out to sea and will dock in Norfolk to wait for the storm to pass.

If you look at the path, it appears they have looped around twice in a big circle. Data has not been updated in 39 minutes, though...

The 10 A.M. update on the Royal Caribbean website says:

Enchantment of the Seas will be unable to call on Kings Wharf, Bermuda, as originally scheduled. Instead, the ship sailed out to sea in an effort to try to find the calmest seas possible.

I guess that little patch where they are circling is currently calm ;) .

Earlier the ship listed next stop as Norfolk... where is she now?

I had a horrible thought, for those that chose to stay on the ship, what happens to their cars if the port does flood? Trying to decide if, 3 weeks from today, it makes sense to stay at a hotel the night before, and leave my car there?

Greetings:

I saw the posts inquiring on the wherebouts and/or questions as to why the Enchantment docked in Norfolk on Thursday. The ship is fine - no problems - there was a medical emergency (heart attack I believe) and the patient - while doing well - needed to get to a hospital. The emergency stop was very smooth and did not take anything away from the cruise. Actually - it was interesting to see the Norfolk dock!

We had a great cruise and were happy to hear that the emergency patient was doing ok. Looking forward to our next cruise in December!

Just curious, where did you dock in Norfolk? At the regular cruise terminal? You would have seen the battleship nearby.

Theron

I wondered about them heading Northeast. This storm is traveling up from the South towards the North so to me it would make more sense to head South towards places where the storm is already out.

But what do I know?:D

Or maybe the Captain changed his mind about being out to sea and will dock in Norfolk to wait for the storm to pass.

Small problem: Sandy is coming from the south, so anything south would be heading directly into the storm. Best bet is north and east, since Sandy is projected to turn left at some point into the mid-Atlantic coast. Unfortunately, more north will be cooler weather.

Theron

Was wanting to know from the people that got off the Enchantment were you able to get all your luggage to take off with you? This is a concern for me. I will have a large carry on, but will also have a checkin that is larger, and am concerned if we get the same offer on Explorer, I want ALL my luggage to come back with me. :eek:

Yes, everyone got all of their luggage. If you already had it all like I did, you had to carry it all of yourself. If you didn't have it all you had to wait to get it then you would carry it off. They announced everyone who wanted to leave would be allowed to do so with all of their luggage and not to worry about leaving behind their luggage.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, everyone got all of their luggage. If you already had it all like I did, you had to carry it all of yourself. If you didn't have it all you had to wait to get it then you would carry it off. They announced everyone who wanted to leave would be allowed to do so with all of their luggage and not to worry about leaving behind their luggage.

This is probably a good part of why they left so late.

Theron

The sites I try to use either list Enchantment's scheduled, rather than actual, position or show it out of range.:confused::eek: I need something more real time. Any suggestions?

The site I was using to track it showed the same position for about an hour and a half, then it went listed as out of range. Apparently the ship is out of range of an AIS receiver or the AIS transponder is not operational (turned off or broken?).

Just curious, where did you dock in Norfolk? At the regular cruise terminal? You would have seen the battleship nearby.

Theron

The Norfolk cruise ship terminal is one of the nicest I have used. Very large and new. They have the new light rail that goes within a couple of blocks of the port. It is a shame none of the lines use it now. (only a couple of Carnival cruises each year)

I just checked 2 marine Gps systems and they both appear to show the EnOTS off of Va Beach. Looks like she is heading back to the Bay after cruising around the ocean in a random pattern.

Roll Call thread poster trafficbabe2000 says they are bringing her back into port! Makes no sense!

Theron

Roll Call thread poster trafficbabe2000 says they are bringing her back into port! Makes no sense!

Theron

Probably headed back in to disembark passengers; with the track of the storm and no place to really go to escape it, the cruise line may have decided that it's not worth taking the chance that something will happen. I feel for the crew, though... they most likely won't have the option of disembarking and will have to ride it out. Whatever the outcome, I am praying that everyone stays safe.

Theron

The sign at the port said, "Port of Virginia" and it was a commercial freight port. Definitely not a passenger cruise terminal.

I checked your link, and the facility looks very nice. I hope they can attract more business.

It's very likely they'll do what Carnival did a couple of years ago. They'll debark all passengers and then ride out the storm in the bay. They just turn the ship into the wind and can easily ride it out. My DH (Navy Captain-ret) says that would be safer than taking the ship out and trying to beat it somewhere. One thing they avoided at all cost was crossing the "T". That means not crossing across the "top" of the storm, trying to get ahead of it, because tropical storms can turn quickly and you could get trapped in worse weather.

The message I just got from my friend;

We're anchored in Chesapeake Bay off Cape Charles. The captain tried to sail east and avoid Sandy but another system moved west and blocked our escape. The 15ft waves this morning were awesome. I missed recording it, but the pools were awesome sloshing water all over the deck. RCI is doing an excellent job of keeping us informed with maps and etc. They've really stepped up. I'm actually really enjoying it. It's kinda of like a transatlantic without the transatlantic part.

Archived