Where is Enchantment?

joe6666

Carnival Glory's cruise leaving Norfolk tomorrow has been cancelled and the ship arrived back in Norfolk this afternoon a day early. Passengers have disembarked and the ship is now sailing out of Norfolk. It will be interesting to see if Glory heads into the Chesapeake Bay or out to sea. I am watching the the track she's taking now.

And it looks like Enchantment of the Seas is on the move again.......

But 5 minutes later, she is showing to be stationary once again....

My daughter has a friend who works on board the Enchantment. She finally got a text from him a little while ago and he said they were still anchored in the Bay. He didn't have any additional information about what the plan is or if there is a plan. I asked her to ask him how is it being anchored? I think a ship at anchor rocks and rolls more than a moving ship. And if the ship is at anchor can they use the stabilizers or is that just when the ship is moving?

My daughter has a friend who works on board the Enchantment. She finally got a text from him a little while ago and he said they were still anchored in the Bay. He didn't have any additional information about what the plan is or if there is a plan. I asked her to ask him how is it being anchored? I think a ship at anchor rocks and rolls more than a moving ship. And if the ship is at anchor can they use the stabilizers or is that just when the ship is moving?

Actually, a ship anchored only at the bow will "turn/spin" with the wind as needed. It's actually the best way to deal with the motion. If you look at marinetraffic it shows the ship spinning in one location. And by spinning, I don't mean like a top, I mean moving around the anchor.

They will probably stay anchored there til the storm gets north of their location and then sail south for a couple of days. The water to the south of a storm is much calmer than to the north. I'm thinking they'll sail south out of the bay and out into calm seas until they need to come back to port to debark next week.

I can see if it is anchored only at the bow that the ship will turn around the anchor. But find it hard to believe that it is not doing some rocking and rolling while it's spinning if the waves and swells are bad.:eek:

But again what do I know?:o

I can see if it is anchored only at the bow that the ship will turn around the anchor. But find it hard to believe that it is not doing some rocking and rolling while it's spinning if the waves and swells are bad.:eek:

But again what do I know?:o

Dixie--My son lives in Norfolk, so, we are very interested in what is happening in that area. The Hampton Roads area has not gotten to the worst weather yet.:eek: It does not appear that the Enchantment could leave where they are even if they wanted to. Read below.

The coast guard posted this at 10am today:

Coast Guard sets Port Condition Zulu

Published : Sunday, 28 Oct 2012, 10:05 AM EDT

PORTSMOUTH, VA. (WAVY) - The Coast Guard has set port conditions to Zulu for coastal waters of Virginia due to the approach of Hurricane Sandy.

Gale force winds are possible within 12 hours. Because of this, the captain of the port is establishing a temporary safety zone, closing the coast from Cape Charles Light to the Maryland and Delaware border and out 12 nautical miles.

This safety zone will be in effect until the weather subsides.

From the information on the tracking sites (the heading is constantly moving) it would appear that she is anchored at the bow. That would reduce rocking, but allow for pitching. Less side-to-side roll, but more front up-and-down pitch. Stabilizers on an anchored ship are about as useful as wings on a parked airplane. Not at all.

ETA: Of course, this assumes that the winds and the waves are coming from the same direction, which after thinking for a moment, may very well not be the case. The winds will shift with the passing storm track, but the waves may be more from the south - driven by the storm surge up the bay. Hard to tell by speculating.

Theron

This was reported by "kassimer1" on another thread:

My car mechanic is right now on the enchantment. He kept teasing us that he would go on his cruise before ours. He says they have been stopped out side of the carolinas and are not going to get to bermuda. I just hope all is well. I was surprised the explorer left today. I guess they know what they are doing. Hope everyone does fine with the storm. __________________

Many years ago before cruising became as popular as it is now one of our friends took a cruise to Bermuda, due to a hurricane they ended up with a New England and Canada cruise. :eek: No one had cold weather clothes. She was happy to buy a sweatshirt she wore for most of the cruise.

Enchantment has moved down the bay, past the bridge tunnel and is now doing 15.7 K out in the ocean. Guess they are trying to give the passengers a little cruising time before she has to come back and pick us up. I take this as a positive sign of good things to come!!!:D Guess the bay is now open again to maritime traffic.;)

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Enchantment during Hurricane Sandy and anchoring inside Cape Charles. We saw some waves, not huge ones, and felt very little motion. Less motion than most of our 30+ cruises. The new MDR menu and the food was truly outstanding...still can't get it out of my head...possibly the best we've had. Service was also great. :)

Really didn't expect good food after our Explorer February 2012 cruise which had food below average in the MDR, and the buffet was terrible...The Explorer Cafe was good, with sandwiches and pizza, and Johnny Rockets was very good.

Any Questions?

Archived