Plumbing Issues on the Grandeur

Both cruises on deck 8 forward but I will "sniff" around plus quiz everyone at the M&M.

LOL

check the 3rd floor since alot was saying there was trouble there in the middle of the ship....thanks...

We are 28 days away from our GOTS cruise. Can't wait.:D:D:D

We are eagerly awaiting Grandeur's return to Baltimore so we can get some current reviews. We're booked in cabin 4072 (just off the Centrum) and are hoping there will be no plumbing issues/sewage odors there--or anywhere else on the ship for that matter!;):)

We are eagerly awaiting Grandeur's return to Baltimore so we can get some current reviews. We're booked in cabin 4072 (just off the Centrum) and are hoping there will be no plumbing issues/sewage odors there--or anywhere else on the ship for that matter!;):)

I've stayed in that cabin! It's a good one :)

We were in cabin 4042 Enchantment out of Baltimore 3/9-18th and had trouble with toilet flushing. It had a mind of its own!! Other cabins on the same deck also had flushing problems. Sometimes it did and sometimes delayed!! Also sewage smell in public areas of the ship!! Not so nice:( Hope the Grandeur doesn't have any problems. It is one of our favorite ships.

Carol

Panoramic Ocean View Stateroom has anyone ever stay in one of these rooms. I almost changed my inside to this but now is gone for our cruise.

See this thread for more info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1757691

We'll keep this thread for plumbing issues...thanks!

Edited by slyster

See this thread for more info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1757691

We'll keep this thread for plumbing issues...thanks!

Thank you,

It would be great if we could keep this thread on-topic - There are lots of people following it to find out the status of the plumbing issues, not necessarily for stateroom reviews. ;)

I am sorry that I asked...it was due to the room I have is on the 3rd floor and they had been giving responses to this was one of the areas that was having problems of the issue..so I was looking at a different area that I may move to...sorry

Good news - no problems or smells!

On 14 April 2013 we finished a week on Grandeur. It was absolutely fantastic in every way. There were absolutely NO problems with sewage smells. We frequently attended events in the Centrum and there were no problems. Our staterooms on deck 7 did not smell. I wandered down to the lower decks and also did not perceive any offensive smells.

Only one time did I note something "off". On the jogging track on deck 10, while steaming along at sea, the wind blew the engine exhaust down to deck level. There was some sulfer smell from fuel combustion. But it was VERY localized and for only a short duration.

Only one time we noted a delay in the toilet flushing. I think the system uses vacuum-assist to flush. If there a many people flushing, the system needs a few seconds to build up more negative pressure. This particular day, we pushed the button about four times, and nothing happened. As we stood there with hands on hips staring at the toilet and wondering what to do - whoosh - it went on its own. So just push, and wait a little. It will eventually go.

Have a great trip everyone. No worries.

Mary

On 14 April 2013 we finished a week on Grandeur. It was absolutely fantastic in every way. There were absolutely NO problems with sewage smells. We frequently attended events in the Centrum and there were no problems. Our staterooms on deck 7 did not smell. I wandered down to the lower decks and also did not perceive any offensive smells.

Only one time did I note something "off". On the jogging track on deck 10, while steaming along at sea, the wind blew the engine exhaust down to deck level. There was some sulfer smell from fuel combustion. But it was VERY localized and for only a short duration.

Only one time we noted a delay in the toilet flushing. I think the system uses vacuum-assist to flush. If there a many people flushing, the system needs a few seconds to build up more negative pressure. This particular day, we pushed the button about four times, and nothing happened. As we stood there with hands on hips staring at the toilet and wondering what to do - whoosh - it went on its own. So just push, and wait a little. It will eventually go.

Mary

Mary

Thanks for the good news! :)

• 1 month later...

An update here:

When we sailed out on the 24May sailing I did notice some smells near the centrum on decks 4/5... however, I think the stink was the water around us as I didn't smell anything once we got moving.

NOW... during our time in the muster station we spoke to two gentlemen that were in from another country. Their English was poor, but they were onboard to work on the sewage issues. So, just know that they were having work done and I suspect they'll continue to work this while they make repairs to the beautiful Miss Grandeur.

Judy

• 10 months later...

Update: Sorry to tell everyone my experience on the Grandeur of the Sea March 18th sailing...

On day 2 it started with my tolitte over flowing and I had saw a room attendent outside when I had went into my room. So I run out and tell him that it was over flowing, ( this was not my attendent) but said he would tell someone. Well it got worse and was to the door now and go back out and told him once again and he just throws me towels and said he would get someone. .....well I waited 30 min and no one came this was about 1:30 pm. I left was not going to waste my day in the room that stunk! Well we come back later to get dressed for diamond lounge and for dinner. While the towels were still on the floor and this was 6pm and when we left told our room attendent the towels were still all over the floor. It kept on stinking and we would tell our room attendent. Well then day 4 in the night at 4:30 am I get up to go to the bathroom and it ends up over flowing and had to use all my towels and bathrobes to catch it.

This was the most digusting thing to have and step in your bare feet!!!! So when the tolitte over flowed that morning I had enough...this is the first time in 20 cruises have I ever went to a service desk and complain! They scrubbed the carpet but it never took the urine smell away.

So I kept telling the room attendent that it still stink in our room. ON day 7 we complain once again and my husband goes down this time, has the woman come up to our room and smelled it for herself. Said to scrub the carpet once again. I told the room attendent that shower curtain was yellow on the bottom...and seems like urine fumes would come in the bathroom. Now it is day 8 and finally they call and offer us a room to transfer to deck 2...now it upset me on day 8 and also now to deck 2 since I had heard of smelling problems was on lower decks and purchased higher inside cabin due to that reason and now asked to go down there. But that was not the main up setting about this offer was tell me to pack up everything and then unpack once again and then not next day but day after that to repack again! I think this should of been offered way before this. We declined and was hoping things could improve and my husbands migraines from this smell would go away! So they did replace new curtain and I think finally carpet finally dried that on day 9 it was most of the time better. But at times you could still get smell of it in the bathroom but not all the time.

I wish the best for anyone ...I was being told this happens on all the ships...

I have not come to decide if I can rebook this cruise like I was going to next April 2015....have to really think on this for awhile...I NEVER want to go through this again!

I was on Deck 8 on the cruise before yours. We had some issues, too. One 3 days there were a few hours each day where the toilet would not flush. Then when they fixed it it would all of a sudden work. But, no smells or overflow.

We called maintenance and they explain there was a problem on the main line.

PS--you can call the ship's maintenance department directly from your cabin phone. The number is listed.

I was on Deck 8 on the cruise before yours. We had some issues, too. One 3 days there were a few hours each day where the toilet would not flush. Then when they fixed it it would all of a sudden work. But, no smells or overflow.

We called maintenance and they explain there was a problem on the main line.

PS--you can call the ship's maintenance department directly from your cabin phone. The number is listed.

I thank you...and know if I ever go on that ship again will have that number really close by!

Update: Sorry to tell everyone my experience on the Grandeur of the Sea March 18th sailing...

On day 2 it started with my tolitte over flowing and I had saw a room attendent outside when I had went into my room. So I run out and tell him that it was over flowing, ( this was not my attendent) but said he would tell someone. Well it got worse and was to the door now and go back out and told him once again and he just throws me towels and said he would get someone. .....well I waited 30 min and no one came this was about 1:30 pm. I left was not going to waste my day in the room that stunk! Well we come back later to get dressed for diamond lounge and for dinner. While the towels were still on the floor and this was 6pm and when we left told our room attendent the towels were still all over the floor. It kept on stinking and we would tell our room attendent. Well then day 4 in the night at 4:30 am I get up to go to the bathroom and it ends up over flowing and had to use all my towels and bathrobes to catch it.

This was the most digusting thing to have and step in your bare feet!!!! So when the tolitte over flowed that morning I had enough...this is the first time in 20 cruises have I ever went to a service desk and complain! They scrubbed the carpet but it never took the urine smell away.

So I kept telling the room attendent that it still stink in our room. ON day 7 we complain once again and my husband goes down this time, has the woman come up to our room and smelled it for herself. Said to scrub the carpet once again. I told the room attendent that shower curtain was yellow on the bottom...and seems like urine fumes would come in the bathroom. Now it is day 8 and finally they call and offer us a room to transfer to deck 2...now it upset me on day 8 and also now to deck 2 since I had heard of smelling problems was on lower decks and purchased higher inside cabin due to that reason and now asked to go down there. But that was not the main up setting about this offer was tell me to pack up everything and then unpack once again and then not next day but day after that to repack again! I think this should of been offered way before this. We declined and was hoping things could improve and my husbands migraines from this smell would go away! So they did replace new curtain and I think finally carpet finally dried that on day 9 it was most of the time better. But at times you could still get smell of it in the bathroom but not all the time.

I have not come to decide if I can rebook this cruise like I was going to next April 2015....have to really think on this for awhile...I NEVER want to go through this again!

Deck 2 is a step down, they should have upgraded you to a balcony. I hope they compensated you.

Julie, sorry you and Steve had to deal with this the whole time. As you know we were just down the hall and had no issues at all. It seems to be random. As we told you, the one problem we ever had with a toilet was onboard GR in 2009, but that was one that kept filling. Once they fixed it at 1 am, it was fine. We did get some compensation (~$125 that we applied to our next cruise) after the fact due to our comment card and the fact they were working on our toilet at 1 am while I didn't feel great and was trying to sleep. The only other toilet issues we have ever had is slow flushing (or not flushing at all). If people would quit flushing things that don't belong, there wouldn't be a problem. All it takes is one person flushing something other than toilet paper to hose up a section of the system and that's on any ship. I don't know why people don't pay attention or don't care, but it does impact others.

That's what I was going to say, this was almost assuredly the result of an inconsiderate fellow passenger who thought flushing garbage down the toilet would be a funny prank.

They really should have a strainer of some sort for each stateroom that makes it blatantly obvious who the offender is...and charge them for the cleanup that results.

Julie, sorry you and Steve had to deal with this the whole time. As you know we were just down the hall and had no issues at all. It seems to be random. As we told you, the one problem we ever had with a toilet was onboard GR in 2009, but that was one that kept filling. Once they fixed it at 1 am, it was fine. We did get some compensation (~$125 that we applied to our next cruise) after the fact due to our comment card and the fact they were working on our toilet at 1 am while I didn't feel great and was trying to sleep. The only other toilet issues we have ever had is slow flushing (or not flushing at all). If people would quit flushing things that don't belong, there wouldn't be a problem. All it takes is one person flushing something other than toilet paper to hose up a section of the system and that's on any ship. I don't know why people don't pay attention or don't care, but it does impact others.

Whenever we have any kind of issue in our cabin we call the Guest Services desk. You get a quicker response that way.

So sorry to hear that! Can you tell us what room you were in? We are booked on this ship in September and we also booked a higher floor because we had heard about sewage problems on the lower floors.