Snorkel Gear

familyfuncruise

I'm sure you will hear from Carnival cruisers but just wanted to comment, I would never use a snorkel and mask anyone else had used, kind of like using another person's toothbrush. :)

Agree to the above and from hearing others, the "rentals" are in bad shape

Snorkles and masks are very reasonably priced, you can purchase from ebay to sporting goods stores......easy and lightweight to pack + better fitment

No need for fins if you are just floating around off of the beach, or rent the swim fins at most all beaches and ships private islands

If you don't want to buy gear, the "rental" stuff is sanitized! No worries! After all, you use forks and spoons and glasses that others have used.....and towels and sheets.....they clean the snorkel gear quite well.....if they didn't, all of their clientele would be ill!!!!!

If you don't want to buy gear, the "rental" stuff is sanitized! No worries! After all, you use forks and spoons and glasses that others have used.....and towels and sheets.....they clean the snorkel gear quite well.....if they didn't, all of their clientele would be ill!!!!!

If you have mask and snorkel, bring them, especially if they have corrective lens. Fins are much more difficult to carry, so I would make do without them or rent them there.

My thoughts exactly! At first I was kind of grossed out by the thought of using someone else's snorkel gear, but the more you think about it, it's not so bad.

I mean, most people don't think twice about drying their face on a bath towel that was previously used to dry someone else's nether-regions, so why does the snorkel gear automatically get such a bad rap?? ;)

As the previous several posts have said,from personal experience I simply don't trust the sanitation techniques of an island outfitter. They throw their assortment of masks and snorkels in a plastic barrel of water, and from what I could tell, there was no bleach. Ive seen them refill with hose water, and no bleach was ever added that I saw, or smelled. Seen the same on dive boats. I learned not to rinse my gear in the community slop bucket.

Also, a mask is not a one size fits all piece of gear. For the best experience do not just get one off of e-bay without trying it for fit. If you take dive classes, one of the first things most instructors will do is make sure you are geared up properly, and a big part of that is having a properly fitting mask. Snorkeling or diving with a leaker mask that does not fit takes all the fun out of it.

Why religiously hand wash and use sanitizer on board, then put yourself at risk by sticking a snorkel in your mouth that someone you don't know at all just took out of theirs? NORO anyone...

I usually bring my own mask and snorkel because the rental/provided ones tend not to fit my face very well. I have used provided masks and snorkels on tours before, but almost always have fit issues.

I am one who is not overly concerned about the cleanliness, so that part didn't bother me, and I've never gotten sick. They are at least rinsed off, if not disinfected, plus you can swirl the equipment around in the ocean a few times and rub it a bit if concerned.

I don't usually bring fins; I'm a strong swimmer and for just normal snorkeling in fairly calm water, I don't need them. If they are available, I might use them.

We take our own. My wifes has corrective lenses in hers so it saves having to wear her glasses under an ill fitting mask provided by a tour operator. I don't like the idea of a pre used snorkel. Although we both have good fins we tend to leave them at home.

Archived