The Death of the Coupon Books (Ultimate Value Booklets)?

Then that was not a good bartender. I always get my BOGO and ask them to leave the second unopened and give me a bucket of ice to put it in. I have never had an issue. I have also had the bartender give me one and go back for the second one later, and never had an issue.

As I said, I was always able to go back later for the second one also until this last cruise. This happened in the Promenade pub on Navigator. And I was a little too involved with the conversation to take a walk to another bar to see if I got a different result.

We like a photo of us, preferably in formal clothes, as a souvenir of our cruise. I like the coupon for the free 8 x 10. We use it all the time. The avatar I'm using now is one of those freebies.

The only other coupon we regularly use is the internet minutes. Depending on the mood and OBC, I'll use the discount on a massage, but that's rare.

Why would it be good that you can't use leftover coupons on your next cruise ?

Surely this is a disadvantage?

:-)

The coupons are to be used for "this sailing only". It's printed on every page. By using left over coupons on future sailings is sort of abusing the program isn't it?

Somehow, I don't think that will gp over well with the Diamond crowd. They love their diamond lounge from 5 tp 8 pm. We're not diamond till next cruise, but looking forward to spending time in the diamond lounge after that. No lounge, where's the prestige?

Now that's an excellent idea! Since we can not use the lounge for the free drinks as we have kids.... It actually feels like we had more use of Emerald status since then we got 2 BOGO coupons each. Now only one at Diamond.

The most funny thing is the Concierges comment to leave the kids at Adventure Ocean... that closes at 5 when the lounge opens.... Marvellous!

This is the point I was trying to make on the other thread- folks were polite, but disagreed, saying they love their mingling...but there is a gap between what most older "diamonds" want and what the "younger" diamonds want. You seem ( with children young enough not to leave alone) like a " younger diamond" and the lounge concept doesn't meet your needs. My point was for people like you and me, if the "perks" aren't " worth it" we will not feel chained, since there is no additional "benefit" that we will use. Makes it easier for me to " cheat" on them with other lines;) The main reason I've stayed loyal this far is the perk of a balcony discount is big for me, that and early boarding...but now that I'm there, there is nothing about the other tiers that makes me feel I must keep building points in their program exclusively.

This is the point I was trying to make on the other thread- folks were polite, but disagreed, saying they love their mingling...but there is a gap between what most older "diamonds" want and what the "younger" diamonds want. You seem ( with children young enough not to leave alone) like a " younger diamond" and the lounge concept doesn't meet your needs. My point was for people like you and me, if the "perks" aren't " worth it" we will not feel chained, since there is no additional "benefit" that we will use. Makes it easier for me to " cheat" on them with other lines;) The main reason I've stayed loyal this far is the perk of a balcony discount is big for me, that and early boarding...but now that I'm there, there is nothing about the other tiers that makes me feel I must keep building points in their program exclusively.

I'm trying to figure out why so many random words are in quotes.

Quotes mean only two things: a direct quotation of words someone else said OR that the word(s) inside are meant to blatantly mean something opposite of the actual definition.

"Four score and seven years ago..." - Abraham Lincoln

He showed up for breakfast in the MDR wearing his boxers and a ratty t-shirt. I see he was wearing his "formal" outfit.

www.unnecessaryquotes.com

This person has a massive collection of some hilarious examples.

The coupons are to be used for "this sailing only". It's printed on every page. By using left over coupons on future sailings is sort of abusing the program isn't it?

The general feeling is that abusing the system in your own favor is a good thing, but abusing the system to your detriment is the most evil, vile thing ever to happen.

I don't understand this logic, but it is the prevailing view you read around these parts.

Example:

It says "This Sailing Only" directly on those coupons. Ignoring this is great because you get more free stuff or other people get more free stuff. It is more like a suggestion, not a rule!

It says "No Seat Saving" (pool or shows) directly in Cruise Compass. Ignoring this makes you the worst person ever. Why would people ignore something that is written in black & white? Are they crazy????

Not that big of a deal to me since I don't use many of the coupons in the book. But I do like cutting them up after my cruise and putting them in my scrapbooks for decorations ;):D.

I definitely would NOT like them to stop using the paper form of the Compass. Much easier to carry around the ship and shore.

I like the idea, in theory, if they can put it into practice in a way that really works well.

I DO think the kids' books will be an issue though. I can totally see that parents of younger kids would not want to give their little ones charging privileges, but on the other hand, those of us with teens do not want to have them on OUR cards--I am never with my kids when they are getting milkshakes with friends at Johnny Rockets, etc.

Now that's an excellent idea! Since we can not use the lounge for the free drinks as we have kids.... It actually feels like we had more use of Emerald status since then we got 2 BOGO coupons each. Now only one at Diamond.

The most funny thing is the Concierges comment to leave the kids at Adventure Ocean... that closes at 5 when the lounge opens.... Marvellous!

Why can't you use the lounge with kids? Are the rules different outside of Europe? I do not recall ever being n teh lounge without at least one kid in there. Other than one family with two poorly behaved boys on one cruse; it has never been an issue.

My own are teens, but we have a standing Euchre date for the hour before dinner in the lounge. No one has ever taken issue with that.

I agree with you that they are becoming of less value. On our last cruise one evening I was the only one who wanted a drink so I asked the server if I could get a beer and then get a second one when I finished the first with my 2/1 coupon. He said no I had to get them at the same time. That meant having one sit and get warm while I had the first. In the past I had always been able to get the second one later. Other than the internet coupon that I used to do our airline check-in I'm finding the whole thing to be pretty worthless.

I wonder if it is a policy change or you just got a new bartender who didn't know? We were on the Navigator in October and did the BOGO coupons and were able to delay the second drink without any issue.

Example:

It says "This Sailing Only" directly on those coupons. Ignoring this is great because you get more free stuff or other people get more free stuff. It is more like a suggestion, not a rule!

On each page it says "Valid During this Cruise" not suggested. Can't get any plainer than that. Just like OBC that is applied to your account from whatever source. It is "valid" for that cruise only. You use it or you lose it.

The program was abused so RCI got smart and now there is no way coupons can be carried over from cruise to cruise.

I like iPads but not for that purpose. Some things are better left in paper format. Afterall, I enjoy collecting the cruise compasses and bringing them home to me so I can refer back when I write a review or want to remember the name of a performer for some reason.

I love the paperless coupon book idea, but wouldn't like the cruise compass to go that route. I love sitting by the pool or balcony and checking out the options!

I also keep all of my cruise compasses for historical purposes, but I wouldn't mind having the option to download the cruise compass to my tablet for onboard use. It would definitely be advantageous to me to have both. :)

As for the electronic value booklets -- I'm still not sold on the idea. It seems that in some instances it's an added layer of complexity. For instance... match plays... currently you now play the coupons at the table. With electronic versions would you have to go to the cage and get tokens or can you still redeem at the table.

Plus, call me geeky, I still leaf through those booklets as soon as I get into my cabin to see what's in them. :)

...Why can't you use the lounge with kids? Are the rules different outside of Europe? I do not recall ever being n teh lounge without at least one kid in there. Other than one family with two poorly behaved boys on one cruse; it has never been an issue.

My own are teens, but we have a standing Euchre date for the hour before dinner in the lounge. No one has ever taken issue with that...

The general rule seems to be that the Concierge Lounge [for suites and D+] always allows accompanied children, but the Diamond Lounge is restricted to 18 and over during the evening Happy Hour. Seems strange to allow 18-20 year olds in on ships where the drinking age is 21, but I don't make the rules. As usual, enforcement of the rules varies widely.

Thom

On each page it says "Valid During this Cruise" not suggested. Can't get any plainer than that. Just like OBC that is applied to your account from whatever source. It is "valid" for that cruise only. You use it or you lose it.

The program was abused so RCI got smart and now there is no way coupons can be carried over from cruise to cruise.

I was agreeing with you. I was just spouting that from the perspective I see written here.

This is an interesting (but not surprising) development. Sort of like RCI sending cruise documents and luggage tags electronically rather than incur printing and postage costs.

Did Adam Goldstein give any indication as to when the new coupon program would be applied?

This is an interesting (but not surprising) development. Sort of like RCI sending cruise documents and luggage tags electronically rather than incur printing and postage costs.

Did Adam Goldstein give any indication as to when the new coupon program would be applied?

On another thread I saw March 1, can't confirm it but sounds reasonable.

I'm sorry if I missed it but how would you know what coupons you even have available to use? would it show up on the sea pass account through the tv?

Mine says "version 17" on them. Not sure if that is some sort of data that makes them invalid later?

I agree with the other poster who helped out the couple with pictures. You

"earned" it so you should be able to use it as you see fit. Albiet on that sailing.

This is interesting. My guy and I never really use anything other than the bogo drink and the match plays. Oh and I think they had a photo one we used. Although I'm sure some people will be pissed because they now can't use the coupons for maximum benefits they really can't complain. They weren't using the coupons as intended so eventually RCCL is going to figure out a way to end that...

The general rule seems to be that the Concierge Lounge [for suites and D+] always allows accompanied children, but the Diamond Lounge is restricted to 18 and over during the evening Happy Hour. Seems strange to allow 18-20 year olds in on ships where the drinking age is 21, but I don't make the rules. As usual, enforcement of the rules varies widely.

Thom

Thanks for the reply :)

As for the electronic value booklets -- I'm still not sold on the idea. It seems that in some instances it's an added layer of complexity. For instance... match plays... currently you now play the coupons at the table. With electronic versions would you have to go to the cage and get tokens or can you still redeem at the table.

Can't imagine it is that much trouble to stop and get tokens. Even so, it seems a VERY small trade off for the thousands of trees that will be saved every year by not printing zillions of coupon books. YMMV

Archived