The Death of the Coupon Books (Ultimate Value Booklets)?

This also reminds me when JC Penney decided to do away with coupons and give consumers fair and square prices. Well consumers answered by not showing up at all. WE LOVE OUR TOUCH THEM; FEEL THEM COUPONS.

I can see why RCL came up with this idea. Imagine how much money they can save by not printing all those partially used or never used coupon books, left in the cabins, only to be thrown away by the cabin attendants.

And think of all the trees that will be saved. I know that there will be lots of birds and squirrles happy that their homes won't be destroyed just so someone can get a coupon book that they probably never planned on using. :p

That's probably the biggest cost savings for them. Despite moving up from Gold to Platinum and now Emerald, I've found these savings book to become worth less and less each cruise. No more free this or free that, its buy one get one 50% off or what used to be a free photo is now a buy a photo get a stock photo of the ship free. We used to use the Johnny Rocket's cover waiver, but now that is buy one milkshake, get one free, which is worthless to us on sugar restrictive diets. I was able to give my internet coupon to a friend that traveled with us who runs his own business, but not any more.

I agree with you that they are becoming of less value. On our last cruise one evening I was the only one who wanted a drink so I asked the server if I could get a beer and then get a second one when I finished the first with my 2/1 coupon. He said no I had to get them at the same time. That meant having one sit and get warm while I had the first. In the past I had always been able to get the second one later. Other than the internet coupon that I used to do our airline check-in I'm finding the whole thing to be pretty worthless.

As a side-bar to this, they are also introducing the iPads in each cabin on some ships to do away with the DailyCruiseCompass. Each day you will have the CComp on your cabins iPad to check for activities. Now they still print the CComp for those that want something tangible to carry and mark off and not have to get exchanged because we dumped a DotD on it while at the pool bar...

Not a fan of the iPads and hope they will never do away with the CC.

It seems as if most of the coupons are not for free items, but for fairly small discounts and probably have the effect of spurring people to spend more than they otherwise would in order to use the coupon. Even a discounted coffee brings in revenue, which is not generated when people simply don't buy the specialty coffee at all.

I think a physical booklet to browse through would be more likely to remind me that I could spend an extra $10 on a picture I wouldn't otherwise buy (but it's half price!). But, I guess, OTOH, as long as I remember there's a coupon, I always have it with me when it's loaded onto my seapass electronically. I'm sure they've done market research on this point.

Maybe they'll have signs up in the shops and photo gallery and whatnot reminding people they have a coupon to use.

In ships where you can't review your bill on the TV, I wish they'd install a self-serve kiosk or two where you could put in your seapass and see your charges to date. How hard would that be?

I agree with you that they are becoming of less value. On our last cruise one evening I was the only one who wanted a drink so I asked the server if I could get a beer and then get a second one when I finished the first with my 2/1 coupon. He said no I had to get them at the same time. That meant having one sit and get warm while I had the first. In the past I had always been able to get the second one later. Other than the internet coupon that I used to do our airline check-in I'm finding the whole thing to be pretty worthless.

On our last cruise, not only did we not use any of the coupons, other than our gratuities, we did not charge anything to our account while on-board.

We are a little tired of paying highly inflated prices for run-of-the-mill products or services.

• Beverage selection is nothing special -- DH will get a local specialty beer when we are in port rather than the mass market stuff available on-board.

• We'll do a local wine on shore, rather than pay an inflated price for something we can get at the convenience store at home.

• We avoid the "paperazzi" -- because I really don't need a photo of me (in any case) and particularly not a photo of me with someone dressed up in a plastic gladiator costume.

• We'll do a lunch at a special on-shore restraunt (why do whatever they call the italian resturant on-board when you are in Florence or Rome or Venice or Napals?).

• I am a computer professional -- I don't need to be frustrated by poor performance internet connection -- I am on vacation.

• PPV on TV -- the movies are old and expensive

I could go on, but it is all the same. Offer me something real and special and I'll consider an extra charge -- offer me something I could get for a 1/3 of the price elsewhere, I'll stick with what I have.

I personally think it's a great idea.

This plan will eliminate using left over coupons on future cruises. What is programmed onto your SeaPass card must be used during the current cruise and will not be carried over.

Coupons issued by C&A level must be used by that person and no one else.

I agree with Patti ------ but I will come clean and state that I’ve met a few folks that really like the free spins, and I like the match plays so we would trade.

M

Not surprised and if it means not having to wait in line to redeem Internet coupons even better.

Though I am going to miss the smell of those books. It is always like fresh paint! Helps one wake up from to many DoD!

This also reminds me when JC Penney decided to do away with coupons and give consumers fair and square prices. Well consumers answered by not showing up at all. WE LOVE OUR TOUCH THEM; FEEL THEM COUPONS.

As certain generations continue getting older and older, this will become less and less of an issue.

My wife dragged me to Kohls a few weeks back and a grumpy grandma behind me chided that using a coupon from the screen of my phone shouldn't be allowed because I didn't take the time to cut it out and hand it to the cashier. Her coupon was more valid because it was paper in her hands. CHANGE IS BAD!

However, your point is valid today because FOR NOW there is a boatload (HA!) of cash in those hands.

Just wondering how this new proposal might work with the laundry discounts.

At the moment, you put the voucher in the laundry bag. The laundry never sees your Seapass card.

The folio number on your SeaPass Card will be the link to everything you are entitled to receive.

For Laundry, you must fill out the form that you include with the laundry being sent down. For the Wash & Fold Form it is a 3-part form and you keep the pink copy. For regular laundry, you keep the last copy (I don't remember the color). You must enter your "folio number" on either form, that is how they charge your SeaPass Account.

Not a fan of the iPads and hope they will never do away with the CC.

I agree with Patti ------ but I will come clean and state that I’ve met a few folks that really like the free spins, and I like the match plays so we would trade.

M

I agree with both of these.

I like iPads but not for that purpose. Some things are better left in paper format. Afterall, I enjoy collecting the cruise compasses and bringing them home to me so I can refer back when I write a review or want to remember the name of a performer for some reason.

As certain generations continue getting older and older, this will become less and less of an issue.

My wife dragged me to Kohls a few weeks back and a grumpy grandma behind me chided that using a coupon from the screen of my phone shouldn't be allowed because I didn't take the time to cut it out and hand it to the cashier. Her coupon was more valid because it was paper in her hands. CHANGE IS BAD!

However, your point is valid today because FOR NOW there is a boatload (HA!) of cash in those hands.

Trekker's point is even more valid when you consider the fact that JC Penny's is actually in financial trouble because of their new marketing strategy. And as I recall I believe it cost a CEO his job.

Trekker's point is even more valid when you consider the fact that JC Penny's is actually in financial trouble because of their new marketing strategy. And as I recall I believe it cost a CEO his job.

Just because something is true doesn't mean it's smart or practical from a business standpoint.

Like I said, when generations change, this will change.

While I understand the "paperless environment" they are heading towards and why, it's kind of a shame, actually in our case.

We often use the coupons we aren't going to use to "pay it forward" in a sense...if there's a coupon in there that we know we're not going to use, we have often given them to people in the venue that the coupons apply to. For example, on one of our last cruises, we had one for the photos taken on board, and didn't like ANY of our photos. There was a couple that had a handful of their pictures waiting to check out, so we handed them our coupon, and stuck around to be sure there wouldn't be an issue (there wasn't). :)

Nothing to do with whether they "earned" it or similar for us...we HAD "earned" it and felt it was ours to do with as we saw fit. I'd rather see it used than not. :rolleyes:

JMHO/YMMV:D

I personally think it's a great idea.

This plan will eliminate using left over coupons on future cruises. What is programmed onto your SeaPass card must be used during the current cruise and will not be carried over.

Coupons issued by C&A level must be used by that person and no one else.

Why would it be good that you can't use leftover coupons on your next cruise ?

Surely this is a disadvantage?

:-)

They could have done this from the start. It works like a Restaurant frequent diner card/discount card. If they provided a sheet listing what has been loaded on your card upon checkin that would be great like they do at some timeshare resorts.

Then that was not a good bartender. I always get my BOGO and ask them to leave the second unopened and give me a bucket of ice to put it in. I have never had an issue. I have also had the bartender give me one and go back for the second one later, and never had an issue.

Archived