Cost of Living On A Cruise Ship

ABoatNerd

I always wondered the cost, I'm glad to finally know.

I know as well that there is a minimum income that you must have to be eligible to buy a cabin, so not just in the position of having the finances to purchase. I think we were well out of the ball park!

Again, this is a very interesting thread. There is a fellow from Canada who often posts here who spends most of his and his wife's winters on a cruise ship. As a matter of fact, they refer to it as their winter condo. I wonder how it compares vis-a-vis cost to a southern inland Florida condo in this market. Basically, here in SWFL, you can buy a nice, rather spacious condo inland for less than $200,000.00. And, if you do not wish a double garage etc., you can acquire a nice one for about $125,000.00. And, these units are within 15-20 minutes from many beautiful gulf beaches.

We have a plethora of Canadian Snow Birds in our community.

Again, this is a very interesting thread. There is a fellow from Canada who often posts here who spends most of his and his wife's winters on a cruise ship. As a matter of fact, they refer to it as their winter condo. I wonder how it compares vis-a-vis cost to a southern inland Florida condo in this market. Basically, here in SWFL, you can buy a nice, rather spacious condo inland for less than $200,000.00. And, if you do not wish a double garage etc., you can acquire a nice one for about $125,000.00. And, these units are within 15-20 minutes from many beautiful gulf beaches.

We have a plethora of Canadian Snow Birds in our community.

Ah..but living in a condo is not like being on a cruise :). As the one who does most of the cooking, cleaning and daily chores....would much rather be on a cruise!

We met a couple on Princess last year who had sold their home and signed a one year contract with Princess. Their cost for one year in an inside cabin was $29,000 for the both of them. I do not know how gratuities were handled or if they got daily room cleaning. From our conversation with them we gathered that long term arrangements like that are handled through a contractual agreement.

Edited by Baatman

Who cares about the cost... Did they get their cruise credits???:D:D:D

Surely. I met a couple on Emerald P. who sailed two weeks of every month. Between two Princess ships. they were so well known that they had Princess name tags with Mom and Pop on them. And they had the minimumCarnival stock so got the OBC every cruise.

As for the Canadian couple, they are the second most traveled people on Celebrity - maybe the most traveled by now. They book several cruises at a time, keeping an eye on the Tuesday Specials, occupying everything from Inside to suite, depending on the deal. And they drive from Canada. EM

Ah..but living in a condo is not like being on a cruise :). As the one who does most of the cooking, cleaning and daily chores....would much rather be on a cruise!

My wife's culinary endeavors are not very efficacious; hence, I do most of the cooking. Also, we have an cleaning lady who assists us in those endeavors.

We met a couple on Princess last year who had sold their home and signed a one year contract with Princess. Their cost for one year in an inside cabin was $29,000 for the both of them. I do not know how gratuities were handled or if they got daily room cleaning. From our conversation with them we gathered that long term arrangements like that are handled through a contractual agreement.

I would get so bored with the food if I spent one year on a ship. We took 10 cruises in 2011 on Carnival and I'd almost rather go to the Lido for dinner much of the time than to eat the "same ole, same ole" in the MDR. We'll be on a 15 day Carnival cruise to hawaii later this month and I'm not looking forward to the meals in the MDR. I know--I'm spoiled.

Yes, we could go on different ships and experience different cuisines but it's hard to beat Carnival's prices and we also enjoy the benefits of being platinum.

On our first cruise with Celebrity in 2005 (Constellation, repositioning from New York to San Juan) I met a lovely woman who was called "Nana" by the staff on the ship, who clearly doted on her. Nana was 73 years old, had some mobility issues so used a scooter, but could get in and out of her scooter and chairs unassisted, and could walk short distances with her cane. Other than the mobility issues, she told me that she enjoyed excellent health.

Nana told me that she lived on Celebrity ships for most of the year. She had four children and lived with each of them for about 3 weeks each year, and cruised in between. She had been doing this for a few years at the time I met her, and was enjoying herself thoroughly. I never spoke to her about health insurance issues, but she told me that this lifestyle was cheaper for her than living in a retirement home of equal quality. From time to time she would be joined on board the ship by a family member.

I heard from the cruise director that Nana was usually the most travelled cruiser on any sailing, but she declined to be included in the recognition that was accorded to the most frequent cruisers on board and insisted that the tributes be passed on to the next most frequent cruisers.

Nana was simply charming, and seemed to be so happy with the life she had chosen.

Edited by elena7seas

Several years ago a crew member pointed out an old lady whom he said 'lived ' on the ship (Carnival Elation) I saw her numerous times dirung the week and the crew was always doting over her. I can't imagine that and as much as I like cruising when the cruise is over I'm ready to go home. There truly is no place like home. As far as cost, most ship are only set up for double occ. so you'd need to find a roommate.

Last year there was a thread about a Canadian, Egon, who booked a year's worth of travel on one ship--not Celebrity.

I followed Egon's posts for quite some time and it was indeed very interesting, especially because there were photo's as well.

Two things always puzzled me. Why he did not receive any discounts from MSC? & why he did not go for any of the world cruises?

Canadian nor US health insurance will cover you for a medical emergency if you have to be air lifted, so insurance must cost a ton if you 70+ for 300 + days at sea.

Also I wonder if I called X and said I am going to cruise all year on all these different cruises if they would give me the drink package for all of them ? LOL I would be one happy fat drunk in at the end of a year.

When we were on the Connie last month and attended the Captains Club event, they gave the award for most cruises to a woman who has been on something like 147! My family and I couldn't believe it. Do you think she is like some of these folks to which you are referring who live much of the year on a Celebrity ship?

That is alot of cruises for sure, but it could very well be someone who lives in Florida and is able to take a number of short cruises without having to pay airfare, and taking advantage of last minute dirt cheap deals. I am in my early 60's and have been cruising for over 30 years. If I had been a Florida resident who loved cruising, I easily could have taken the 5 cruises per year it would take to get to this level (even while working, presuming a good number of these were 'long week-end' type cruises). If I were then able to continue cruising into my 80's as our relatives were, imagine the number of cruises I could total:D:D. I can't imagine not doing other types of vacations as well, but some people are cruising fanatics. I am over 30 cruises now (10 on other lines), but were I a Florida resident I probably would be logging over 100 by now.

That is alot of cruises for sure, but it could very well be someone who lives in Florida and is able to take a number of short cruises without having to pay airfare, and taking advantage of last minute dirt cheap deals. I am in my early 60's and have been cruising for over 30 years. If I had been a Florida resident who loved cruising, I easily could have taken the 5 cruises per year it would take to get to this level (even while working, presuming a good number of these were 'long week-end' type cruises). If I were then able to continue cruising into my 80's as our relatives were, imagine the number of cruises I could total:D:D. I can't imagine not doing other types of vacations as well, but some people are cruising fanatics. I am over 30 cruises now (10 on other lines), but were I a Florida resident I probably would be logging over 100 by now.

We met a great couple in there 60's on our last cruise they were from Orlando, they said if they feel like cruising they call their TA and get a lst minute deal, he told me they paid something like 89 each last minute for the 4 night cruise we were on. They do not even leave the ship anymore, they said they have been to every port at least twice.

I imagine that's what this woman did. She was definitely in her 70s or 80s and seemed to be travelling with at least one family member. Kudos to her!

On our first X cruise back in 1999 there were two different doors on our floor that had signs with "Guest in Residence" on them and when we asked the cabin attendant about them he stated that those two rooms had guests that "lived" on the ship all the time. I have never seen the signs on any other ship since then but that suggests that at least at some point in the past X DID indeed have people who stayed on the ship year round or at least for VERY extended periods.

Surely. I met a couple on Emerald P. who sailed two weeks of every month. Between two Princess ships. they were so well known that they had Princess name tags with Mom and Pop on them. And they had the minimumCarnival stock so got the OBC every cruise.

As for the Canadian couple, they are the second most traveled people on Celebrity - maybe the most traveled by now. They book several cruises at a time, keeping an eye on the Tuesday Specials, occupying everything from Inside to suite, depending on the deal. And they drive from Canada. EM

I think I seen a reference to mom and pop on the Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories (Princess) thread here on CC....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1766798&page=4

If you look at the OP post 1 you will see reference to Mom and Dad name tags.....

Edited by Roxymax

On my very first Celebrity Cruise, my DH an I had the pleasure of meeting two older ladies who said it was cheaper for them to live on the cruise ship than to live in a retirement facility. They went cruise ship to cruise ship.

I do not think folks can choose a Cruise Ship in lieu of a Nursing Home as most folks who qualify for a NH would not be allowed on the ship perhaps at all but certainly for such an extended period of time, particularly alone as are many of the women who spend months at a time on a Cruise Ship.

An alternative to a land based Retirement Center - for sure. Compared to a Nursing Home the ship would be much less expensive, but in terms of a Retirement Center it depends on the Center. Some retirement centers would be less expensive that a cruise ship, some more. Of course it also depends on the level of Cabin you have,

I do remember the woman on Royal Viking (now there was a cruise line I loved). Besides the previous comments, I remember she "held court" next to the Front Desk. She had her chair that she pulled over on sea days and she would offer to give passengers the "real answer" after they went to the front desk with a question or concern.

• 1 year later...

We met "Bill" on a Holland America Cruise about 3 yrs. ago. He goes from one ship to another. He's in good health. He has a mail box in Washington state. He visits his daughter every six months or so, so that he can go to the dentist as well, for a few days at most.

He sold it all and enjoys his days on ships. He can get all sorts of perks due to his many sailing days, free laundry, internets minutes (to book his next cruise). He says it's cheaper than having an apartment and car, with all the insurances and taxes they entail. He has maid service, cooks, entertainment, library. When in port (he's seen so much) he usually just walks for a few hours. He usually eats anytime dining at a large table to enjoy lots of different people.

Very nice, enlightened man with a great outlook on life. So very glad we got to meet him!