Cost of Living On A Cruise Ship

ABoatNerd

I should think it would be...in the last year of his life, my father who died last year, and had Alzheimer's, was paying $5260 per month for his room and board and care. He was in a wheel chair but could pretty much take care of himself.

Last year there was a thread about a Canadian, Egon, who booked a year's worth of travel on one ship--not Celebrity.

Repeated loops thru Carribean and Mexico, then over to Europe for months, repeating several itineraries.

He posted the whole year he was gone.

No discount from cruise line, over 100K.

He did get hurt and had to spend a month in Mexico? to recuperate and then got back on the ship.

Search for the thread, it was good reading

The thread is still there; search Topic "Never Too Old", cruise critic name Musicus. Egon had gumption!:) His is an interesting story. I also wonder why he never got more consideration from MSC.

Edited by ThursdaysChild
Wow, how did I not see the age of this thread?!?

We were on Royal a few years back and a lovely Canadian gentleman sat with us and told us he was terminally ill and was going from cruise ship to cruise ship until he died because that's the way he wanted to die. Felt very sad for him.

Mario Salcedo, nicknamed Super Mario has over 800 cruises with Royal. He has sailed on Liberty over 300 times. I read his annual budget is a little over $100,000. He always stays in a suite.

Edited by oneputt18

Mario Salcedo, nicknamed Super Mario has over 800 cruises with Royal. He has sailed on Liberty over 300 times. I read his annual budget is a little over $100,000. He always stays in a suite.

Don't think that would be enough for a suite these days

I don't think you read that correctly - Now a days, he budgets $100K every year for cruises and he only gets suites. I would hate to think that $100K is not enough for a few cruises in a suite.

• 3 months later...
Yep as a Canuck (Which I am) one can only stay out for so long before you loose your health coverage. I believe it varies a bit from province to province. I no longer reside In Canada, so not covered.

A person on US Medicare is not covered by it when on a cruise ship that has been 6 hours out of a US port.

Not covered in any foreign country by Medicare. Supplemental insurance doesn't cover it either as it supplements what Medicare covers.

I asked and asked and was told that there is no coverage, and basically it is like talking to a Celebrtiy rep or the IRA rep, everyone has a different answer to the same question or they repeat some boiler plate that no one understands.

happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Especially if he is paying single supplement.

Figure minimum of $500/day and that is over $182,000 per year. Don't think that they would give a discount as those cabins would or can always be sold for more than that depending on time of year, and area.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🚢🌞

I do not think folks can choose a Cruise Ship in lieu of a Nursing Home as most folks who qualify for a NH would not be allowed on the ship perhaps at all but certainly for such an extended period of time, particularly alone as are many of the women who spend months at a time on a Cruise Ship.

An alternative to a land based Retirement Center - for sure. Compared to a Nursing Home the ship would be much less expensive, but in terms of a Retirement Center it depends on the Center. Some retirement centers would be less expensive that a cruise ship, some more. Of course it also depends on the level of Cabin you have,

I do remember the woman on Royal Viking (now there was a cruise line I loved). Besides the previous comments, I remember she "held court" next to the Front Desk. She had her chair that she pulled over on sea days and she would offer to give passengers the "real answer" after they went to the front desk with a question or concern.

Let's clarify the comparisons.

An Assisted Living Facility (ALF) does the cooking cleaning driving and other daily chores, but no dressing, bathing, other assists. This is the closest to what a Cruise ship could emulate. Cost in Central Florida is $6,000 per month.

A Nursing Home (Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) helps with one of the daily needs - feeding, dressing, bathing, etc including medical dispensing, minor first aid. RN's are on duty. Cost in Central Florida is $10-12,000 per month.

this does not include medical insurance (besides Medicare) or Pharma.

So one better be very healthy and well to do to live on a ship. If there is a medical complication, you are dropped off wherever and it is your responsibility to catch up to the ship. NO insurance covers that. If you have to pass a stone or have a heart attack, either will cost a fortune since most insurance will not cover outside of the country medical emergencies.

It's a risk issue. IF all goe3s well, it would be great.

Let's clarify the comparisons.

An Assisted Living Facility (ALF) does the cooking cleaning driving and other daily chores, but no dressing, bathing, other assists. This is the closest to what a Cruise ship could emulate. Cost in Central Florida is $6,000 per month.

A Nursing Home (Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) helps with one of the daily needs - feeding, dressing, bathing, etc including medical dispensing, minor first aid. RN's are on duty. Cost in Central Florida is $10-12,000 per month.

this does not include medical insurance (besides Medicare) or Pharma.

So one better be very healthy and well to do to live on a ship. If there is a medical complication, you are dropped off wherever and it is your responsibility to catch up to the ship. NO insurance covers that. If you have to pass a stone or have a heart attack, either will cost a fortune since most insurance will not cover outside of the country medical emergencies.

It's a risk issue. IF all goe3s well, it would be great.

Having medical issues was the first thing that pop into my head and not being around other family members on a regular basis.

There was a recent post on Google News about a woman who has been living on the Crystal Serenity for 7 years. She pays $164K per year. She previously lived on a HAL ship for 3 years but she likes dancing and when HAL dropped the dance hosts, she switched to Crystal.

If you have to live on a cruise ship, you might as well go first class.

DON

There was a recent post on Google News about a woman who has been living on the Crystal Serenity for 7 years. She pays $164K per year. She previously lived on a HAL ship for 3 years but she likes dancing and when HAL dropped the dance hosts, she switched to Crystal.

If you have to live on a cruise ship, you might as well go first class.

DON

Here's the link

http://www.app.com/story/life/home-garden/luxury/2015/01/19/woman-pays-per-year-live-luxury-cruise-ship/21869211/

Reading all these post got me thinking....if it is so great....why aren't there many more longterm "residents" on cruise ships? A great idea in theory...but in reality....

Because a cruise ship does not provide nursing home service or even assisted living for that matter. Correct, in theory. How about medical service (beyond a dr's visit)?

Great idea but that dog won't hunt.

I wonder if there is a Medicare advantage plan that might provide some medical coverage on the ship. I think you could do a verandah cabin for around $100k a year...maybe a little more. You can't compare to assisted living costs...it's more expensive than living by yourself....but it includes almost all expenses....and you aren't living alone, etc. I think it's an interesting alternative for those that can afford it. Of course, if you take an inside cabin it becomes much more financially interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

HAL may be an option for some and very age appropriate in most cases to those in the upper age bracket.

World cruise 115 days roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale.

Inside cabin from about $19,000 / not including port fees or gratuities.

I imagine there would also be a very healthy discount or OBC from many agents as well as any special offers made by the cruise line itself if a back to back was planned.

230 days out of the year on board and 130 to catch up with friends, relatives or both. LOL

Plus year round traveler insurance policies are not really that expensive

OMO

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

Slight correction -- no one has ever "lived" aboard a Celebrity ship so far. Several weeks in a row doesn't constitute living aboard a ship. Any comment about it being cheaper than a retirement home are referring to an oft-circulated story you can read about here: http://www.snopes.com/travel/trap/retire.asp

While some have lived on other ships, this has not been true on Celebrity. The lady quoted does not, and has never, lived on a cruise ship, but has spent many continuous weeks on one. Canadian insurance forbids staying on for too many days in a row, for one thing.

As to the lady with the dog -- dogs have been allowed, but only service dogs, and very rarely.

How do you know for certain that no one lives aboard the Connie?

Hubby and I have considered retiring on a ship depending on what our lives and health look like when that time comes. We figured we could spend some time with our families when on shore and spend the rest of the year on the sea. Doesn't seem like it would be too bad of a life!

If you go over to the crystal board, you can find a posting of a live report from their world cruise. I've been following this couples daily blog and it's interesting. They don't live onboard all year but they have added multiple cruises on to the world cruise and essentially will be onboard for about six months.

My hubby would never do it but it's an interesting idea.