it never ends.. some info

Stakeout

Why can't people just use soap and water after using the bathroom?

it sure is unbelievable isn't it.. just a simple thing to do...

'wash your hands ..wash your hands.. wash your hands'

the sad part is that you're dealing with adults and not 5 year olds... you would think adults would know better .. guess not :(

And you all think that by simply washing your hands you can avoid this??? It certainly helps, but it doesn't guarantee you won't get the virus. Also, why is the norovirus such news? It happens every year on every cruise ship.

Noro is not limited to cruise ships. It is everywhere in our daily lives.

The problem is not just that some do not wash properly, but that they insist on not remaining home until they are well enough to do so. They spread the virus everywhere:(

It makes Headlines when a cruise ship is involved because that is a small community and the media can make it sound more rampant than it actually is..........

Hospitals, Rehabilitation Centers/Facilities, Long Term Care facilities are just a few of the places here in New Mexico that are now closed, albeit temporarily, to visitors because of Noro.

Joanie

Secretary of State Clinton's 'original' illness that led to her fall and blood clot in her skull was Noro Virus. She is said to have had a horrid case of it, became dehydrated which may have contributed to her falling......

As far as I know, despite her frequent travel, she had not been on a cruise ship in recent months.

The problem is not just that some do not wash properly, but that they insist on not remaining home until they are well enough to do so. They spread the virus everywhere:(

Joanie

Or they pick it up enroute to the ship via plane. It doesn't take long, I understand, for the virus to show up. Also, I read recently that these "hand washing disinfectants", don't. So much for all these disinfecting stations around the ship. Washing your hands with soap and water reportedly does better. And then try not to touch anything!

Note that one of the big outbreaks was Salt Lake City... not someplace frequented by cruise ships. I remember this sweeping through classrooms at schools many years ago... no big deal except for those having to deal with it. We are just hearing about it alot more and traveling more widely so spread it faster. Wash, wash and hope it works.

Susan

All it takes is one infected person to get on a plane in Australia where, apparently, this new strain has been widespread. That person gets off the plane in whatever city, uses the restroom, fails to wash their hands well, holds the handrail on the escalator going to baggage claim where they put money in the luggage cart holder. They take their luggage cart and go to the seats near the carousels to sit and wait for their luggage and touch the seat......

How many folks will come behind and touch those same places and you have the establishment of that strain of that virus present in that city. It multiplies very quickly with a very contagious virus.

Oh no, we are flying to Sydney the end of the month for our dream/cruise trip. Well, I've had the flu shot (which probably won't help), I'm fanatic about washing my hands (hope that helps),and I use handrails due to a recovering broken ankle (won't help).

Seeing our local doctor next week and wondering if he might give me something to bring along.

You know, we're a pretty durable critter. There are 7 billion + homo sapiens on this planet.

We're not fragile. If we were fragile, there'd be 7 of us, we'd burst into flames just being out Moonlight, stuff like that.

A huge proportion of the people on Earth live in conditions that make noro seem like a day at the beach. You're more apt to die from the treatment at a medical facility than from the malady you're being treated for at the medical facility. Just look at the stats on the causes of death to see that! :eek:

Derek

a new strain of norovirus
The Noro Virus is everywhere anymore.
I think it's been said that norovirus is the second most common infectious disease, and that this is nothing new.

Norovirus is also good at mutating, so new strains are nothing new either. It's one reason why people can get reinfected so quickly.

This piece has apparently gained a bit of a following, and might be interesting: The Norovirus: A Study in Puked Perfection. It refers to a more learned bit of commentary: Noroviruses: The Perfect Human Pathogens?

Several years ago when my mother was still alive it was in her assisted living facility. I was not told that she had come down with it. We were just told to stay away for the duration. My mother had dementia so she couldn't tell me. When it was supposed to be all clear I went over and picked her up for a ride. I took her back to her facility when I realized things were not as they should be. That is when I found out from the janitor that she had exhibited signs.

Anyway I came down with it several days later. I tried very hard not to have any contact with my husband but in spite of everything he came down with it several days later. Then my sister arrived and we really really made an attempt to contain it, but she came down with it too! My brother was soon arriving by car and we called him and said to delay his arrival. That worked.

It is very contagious!

It is simply a bad year for Noro. We have never been ill on a cruise. Two months ago though, DH got Noro. We hadn't been travelling and we don't know where he got it. Two days later, in spite of our efforts to stay apart, and me cleaning every surface I could think of that he touched, I got sick too. I should add that we NEVER get stomach ailments. I haven't been sick like that since I had food poisoning 15 years ago. We are also diligent hand washers. I don't agree with the overuse of antibacterial things though, and those don't protect against this anyway.

One month later, my sister who lives 3000 miles away and her husband also got it, also had not been sick in years, and vigilant hand washers.

Two weeks ago, my 73 yo mother who lives alone, got it too! This was really a worry as she is already underweight, but she seems to have recovered, less a few badly needed pounds.

So, it is everywhere this year. Be as careful as you can and hopefully you won't get it, but you certainly won't need to be on a cruise ship, in an institution, or school to get it.

Seems this new Aussie Outbreak came from elswhere in the first place. You call it Noro but its better know here as Gastro.

As per Radio Australia January 15

This strain of gastro has already caused an epidemic in Europe this winter, with more than 1 million cases recorded in the United Kingdom.

Also mentioned earlier last year on the CDC site

In 2012, a new strain of norovirus was detected in Australia. It is called GII.4 Sydney. People in the U.S. and other countries have also been infected with the new strain. In the U.S.,

oh no, we are flying to sydney the end of the month for our dream/cruise trip. Well, i've had the flu shot (which probably won't help), i'm fanatic about washing my hands (hope that helps),and i use handrails due to a recovering broken ankle (won't help).

Seeing our local doctor next week and wondering if he might give me something to bring along.

i would not worry we live in sydney and have yet to come across anyone having any problems.

Archived