Which two of these three outfits?

Tabbymom

Hi - I'm sailing on my first HAL cruise with my mom (vs prior cruises with husband) and am trying to decide between three dresses for the two formal nights. Two are old, er vintage from the back of my closet, and one is from last year. I would wear them all with black heel sandals and "diamond" jewelry. The first is from last summer. It's a Ralph Lauren. 11rvgbl.jpg

The second is from my son's bar mitzvah (12 years ago); it's a sleeveless dress with a matching jacket and "diamond" clasp. The dress is form fitting and looks much cuter without the jacket.

2m4ao75.jpg

The last is really vintage from the 70's; it's deep black jersey. Never dreamed it would fit me again - I lost 50 pounds from two years ago.

3320acp.jpg I would wear it with the jacket from a outfit that I got at resale (unfortunately the skirt looks awful on me but the tops look great!). 2uqc1va.jpg

I do have some cute colorful dresses for non-formal. I suspect my mom may not like the purple dress although I love it. My husband likes them all, but he won't be with me! Any thoughts from this great board? Thanks!

If I had that black dress in my closet, and it still fit, the other two wouldn't even be in the equation. Total slam dunk. I'd bring the black dress, and wear it with the silver jacket on one night and with a simple wrap on the second formal night.

Lol, Twinkenham - the black dress fits again after 30 years. :D I do have a silky pleated white shawl so maybe if I bring both dresses and my mom sees me in the purple dress and says "Do you really like that dress?" :eek: then I can pop back in the stateroom and change. (I want to keep her happy; she's treating.) But I'd like to have two different dresses just to see how I look in pictures; even if I don't buy it will be fun to compare the professional images to how I think I look in the mirror.

Oh -when I told my husband I was thinking of getting a belt to update the dress, he said "like Michelle Obama." They must have been talking about inauguration fashion on the Sunday morning talk shows this week in between politics.

I agree w/luvscruising2007, the top on the black dress is so interesting, I wouldn't cover it with a jacket (although the jacket is pretty, too). A wrap would allow the details of the dress to show.

And bring the purple one, too!

Favorite - purple then black. Wear the black to the first, more formal night. Then at the end of the cruise, wear the purple, your Mom will be having so much fun, she won't comment on it - LOL! I agree about not covering up that neckline, unless you're shy about that. Congrats on weight loss, how did you do it?

Appreciate the input - I'm fine going without the jacket. I'll bring it along in case my mother thinks I'm chilly; I don't think you can ever outgrow that. ;)

maureen - good thought on wearing the black first; also it will work better with my initial sunburn which will then turn to tan in time to wear the purple.

I lost the weight by exercising more and eating less; who'd thunk! :eek: I was inspired by a message thread on another site. In the end it boiled down to portion control and self control. I'm on my Wii fit every morning for weigh in and 20 minutes of exercise and never want to go back up. I love fitting into the old clothes I couldn't bear to give away! But too bad my feet couldn't also go back in time.

• 1 month later...

Your advice was excellent! I took the black and purple dresses and didn't need jacket/shawl etc. I wasn't sure the purple would fit for the last formal night and breathed a sigh of relief when it zipped up. I had so much fun getting all the formal portraits taken and in the end bought two of them at those ridiculously overinflated prices.

2mhvfj8.jpg

2lnbspj.jpg

I stuck to my favorite greens and blues for the rest of the trip. This first outfit includes the skirt that I claim can only be worn on a cruise and nowhere else.

4gkxmc.jpg

vxcl8l.jpg

28tdhg3.jpg

Your advice was excellent! I took the black and purple dresses and didn't need jacket/shawl etc. I wasn't sure the purple would fit for the last formal night and breathed a sigh of relief when it zipped up. I had so much fun getting all the formal portraits taken and in the end bought two of them at those ridiculously overinflated prices.

2mhvfj8.jpg

2lnbspj.jpg

I stuck to my favorite greens and blues for the rest of the trip. This first outfit includes the skirt that I claim can only be worn on a cruise and nowhere else.

4gkxmc.jpg

vxcl8l.jpg

28tdhg3.jpg

You look so pretty:)..where did you get that turquoise dress?

I LOVE IT!!!

Archived