Not eating in MDR

Thumpers

That would be a good thing to do. Also, your seat mates won't be wondering where is the person who should sit here and should we wait for him. I don't know what your reasons are for choosing not to dine in the MDR but don't eat all your meals in your cabin. Get out, see the ship, try different eateries on board.

I'm going solo on my next cruise. I plan to eat in the MDR most of the time but try some of the other restaurants on board. I'm very shy so I have to push myself to get into groups with strangers. On previous trips however, it has worked out well and I've met a nice group of people who became friends.

I'm thinking of going on a solo cruise and I have no desire to eat in the MDR. I'll probably eat in my cabin or a speciality restaurant.

Should I notify the staff of this so they don't save a place for me in the MDR?

Welcome to Cruise Critic...Yes let them know..or possibly consider MTD..Please don't limit yourself to in-room dining..keep your options open and enjoy !!

Hi, & welcome to CC.

On traditional dining, solos are usually allocated to large tables, typically 10 solos to a table, but check this with your cruise line.

It's a great way for solos to hook up with others, they'll often go ashore in a group etc. At the least you can compare notes with tablemates on what you've all done & what you're all planning.

But I can understand that some folk prefer to dine alone & keep themselves to themselves, and of course you can use the buffet or room-service. In that case, yes it would be thoughtful to let the maitre D know.

Maitre D is the guy who sorts out seating - a waiter can point him out to you or take a message.

Some folk on CC don't seem to care about telling others they'll not be at table, which leaves people waiting for their no-show, and dining next to empty seats. But if the waiter & those on the table know, firstly they won't have to wait for you, & secondly they can allocate your seat to someone else.

But no need to do it in advance, you really should see what it's like on the first evening, and the maitre D always has to do a bit of re-shuffling after the first evening.

If you are allocated my-time dining there's no real need.

JB :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If you have been assigned to Fixed (Traditional) dining and do not wish to eat in the main dining room, then tell the dining room manager so that they can assign someone else to your seat at a table.

If you are assigned to the Open Seating -- then there is no reason to tell them anything.

Your choices for dining solo are the Lido buffet, speciality restaurants (many charge a fee) or in your cabin.

JMO -- we do not like eating in the cabin. If you do not wish to sit at a table with anyone else, you can always ask for a table for 1.

Go to your Roll Call here on cruisecritic and meet people who will be on the ship with you. You can plan tours together and usually there is a Meet & Greet where you can meet each other.

Don't forget the buffet where you can eat every night. Some of the food may be offered the same as the MDR but not all will be there, ,there won't be lobster on formal night.

Often single people are put together in the MDR so you would meet other singles.

It seems a shame to try to isolate yourself while on a cruise. I found joining a large table for assigned dining was a great way to have a group to interact with for an hour or so each day when I was cruising solo. I was always fortunate in having interesting table-mates, with a few of whom I have maintained contact. If it turned out that you do not blend with table-mates, you can always request reassignment. In any event, if you decide after one or two meals, that you would truly prefer being alone, you can always eat solo in the cafeteria or take room service.

I'm thinking of going on a solo cruise and I have no desire to eat in the MDR. I'll probably eat in my cabin or a speciality restaurant.

Should I notify the staff of this so they don't save a place for me in the MDR?

if your ship offers it, I suggest instead that you book My Time dining/Any time Dining/Select dining( whichever it is called) and simply do not make any standing reservations.

of course this usually means you have to pay the gratuities up front.

otherwise, yes you do need to inform the maitre D' so that he can release your place.

Wow, very interesting assumptions of many posters here, who assume the OP doesn't want to eat in the MDR because he/she doesn't want to sit with strangers or wants to isolate him/herself........my interpretation of the original post is that he/she simply didn't like huge dining room experiences and literally didn't want to eat in that location. I can relate - on past cruises, even cruising with family, we tended to avoid the MDR on many nights just because it is so big and crowded. More of a crowded banquet hall than a restaurant.

Regardless, if you have chosen to be assigned a traditional (fixed) seating, tell the Maitre D' that you won't be there so that they do not wait for your arrival. If you've chosen a non-assigned dining time (Freestyle, My Time, whatever it's called) then it doesn't matter. There are several other dining options available to you, as you've noted.

Agree with other posts about the flexible dining assignmwny (your time, my time, any time...whatever they call it). Another thing to consider, most ships have a limited menu for room service, and although serving much of the same items in the buffet as the MDR, it is not as good. Enjoy your cruise.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Thumpers,

Should you choose to cruise and select to dine in your cabin, it is your cruise and your choice and you don't need any of us to tell you that.

There are times despite the fact I travel with my DH of many years who I adore, a quiet dinner, alone in my cabin, doesn't sound all bad to me. :D We all like that alone, quiet time.

Your question is a thoughtful, considerate one and my response would be to advise the Maitre d' or Dining Room Manager at the start of your cruise that you will not be in the Dining Room and to not assign a seat for you or have your tablemates waiting for your arrival before they can order their dinner.

Many cruise solo and love it.

Happy you have joined us here on CC.

Come back with any questions. :)

:) Nice to meet 'ya.

Thumpers, the easiest way is to select open dining, which is called by different names on different cruise lines.

It gives you the most flexibility to dine when and where you please.

That way there is no need to inform anyone if you don't want to eat in the MDR and you don't need to decide in advance.

If you should ever feel like eating in the MDR, you can just show up at whatever time suits you and ask to be seated at a table with others, or request a private table to yourself, however the mood strikes you at the time.

The worst that can happen if you arrive at a busy time without making a reservation is that you may need to wait to be seated, or come back later.

Try eating in the MTD the first or second night to see how you like it. My sister and I always liked eating by ourselves, at a table for two. On our Dec 1st cruise we decided to share a table for 8 and found out that we actually enjoyed ourselves. Surprise, surprise.

Im a solo cruiser and ate mdr, wj, in room. Enjoyed the food in each and had no problem as a solo in mdr. Sat at big table that wasnt just couples. Liked being waited on. As for buffet, just hard to keep you seat if you want seconds, never seems like there is enough seating when I go. But get out and try them all, enjoy the food and company.

Archived