Back from 36 day odyssey cruise

onetravelbug

We just got back from our 36 day New Zealand & Australia cruise on Odyssey and wanted to share some of our trip. Below is a link to the Cruise Critic review, but I also wanted to add my thoughts on the entertainment and enrichment lectures on these two segments. Susan Wood was the CD and we felt she was outstanding. I rate her at the top of all CDs we have experienced on 14 previous cruises. I watched her during the ice cream social on the pool deck from the sky bar. She made her rounds to everyone there starting on the starboard side.Then to the pool grill area. Then to the port side of the pool. Then up the stairs to the sky bar and around the deck on that level. Then she stared all over again on the pool deck. She always had a warm greeting and something nice to say. Whether it was Trivia, interviews with performers, or just MCing a show, she seemed genuinly interested in every passenger. She, in my mind, was great!

Now for the lectures and performers: I won't list the lecturers by name unless someone asks, but this was also a highlight. I thought I was spoiled by Crystal, but this cruise had the most variety and interesting lectures of any cruise. While this might not be normal, as even Susan mentioned that there were more lectures on our cruise than most she had been on, it was a big plus. We also had great entertainment. I was surprised by the quality of the Seabourn singers, guest performers and the variety of performances. I would rate the Entertainment and Lecture elements of the cruise an A plus. I wold be happy o expand if there are any questions, but take a look at my review first.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=217421

I have only read the first part of your review so far, and am enjoying it. Will read the rest later. BUT, just to put your mind at ease about the bug spraying on flights into Australia....first of all DDT has been banned in Australia since 1987.

Quote: "The spray, a synthetic insecticide called permethrin or d-phenothrin, is based on the same naturally occurring chemical produced by plants to kill predatory bugs. People sometimes react to the propellant in the spray, Creagh said, but the insecticide itself is harmless to humans."

Hubby and I have just been discussing the spraying on your flight, and agreed that it used to happen all the time, but we haven't "been sprayed" for years and thought the practice had ben phased out! On further research, it seems flights from tropical areas, Hawaii was mentioned, still attract the bug spray because of the insect risk. Then again we regularly fly in from Asia, so you would think these flights would also be sprayed? Seems it might be just a bit of a hit and miss practice these days!

We have also been stopped by the beagles sitting at our hand luggage. Being an Aussie I was fully aware to be certain there was NO FOOD in any bag, but this beagle insisted on sitting. After searching, of course nothing was found....the beagle then went and sat at another bag...then another...then another...getting a treat every time! This beagle had "worked out the system", sit and get a treat! Bet it wasn't employed at the airport very long!

We just got back from our 36 day New Zealand & Australia cruise on Odyssey and wanted to share some of our trip. Below is a link to the Cruise Critic review, but I also wanted to add my thoughts on the entertainment and enrichment lectures on these two segments. Susan Wood was the CD and we felt she was outstanding. I rate her at the top of all CDs we have experienced on 14 previous cruises. I watched her during the ice cream social on the pool deck from the sky bar. She made her rounds to everyone there starting on the starboard side.Then to the pool grill area. Then to the port side of the pool. Then up the stairs to the sky bar and around the deck on that level. Then she stared all over again on the pool deck. She always had a warm greeting and something nice to say. Whether it was Trivia, interviews with performers, or just MCing a show, she seemed genuinly interested in every passenger. She, in my mind, was great!

Now for the lectures and performers: I won't list the lecturers by name unless someone asks, but this was also a highlight. I thought I was spoiled by Crystal, but this cruise had the most variety and interesting lectures of any cruise. While this might not be normal, as even Susan mentioned that there were more lectures on our cruise than most she had been on, it was a big plus. We also had great entertainment. I was surprised by the quality of the Seabourn singers, guest performers and the variety of performances. I would rate the Entertainment and Lecture elements of the cruise an A plus. I wold be happy o expand if there are any questions, but take a look at my review first.

Thank you for your review. I was also on the same cruise and agree with most of your review regarding the suites, the quality of the food and the wonderful staff who were always looking to make sure the cruise was enjoyable.

I have been hesitating whether to submit this reply because this is just my opinion and feelings though others I met on the cruise expressed similar feelings. I have discussed my scheduling concerns with management while on the ship.

As much as I can agree Susan was very upbeat and cheerful I can't agree she is the best ever cruise director. One thing I preferred on Seabourn to Crystal is the more relaxed atmosphere without feeling micro managed with too much crammed into the itinerary. I know you don't have to go to all listed but I prefer not having to be moved on for the next event to occur on a regular basis. Bar staff were stretched at cocktail hour because they now have to cover the Grand Saloon as well as the normal bars because shows/lectures were scheduled at 6.30 which is not the usual Seabourn way. Having events at this time appears to also have most people arrive at the dining venues at the same time after they finish. This could explain some of the service issues at times in the dining venues.

I also didn't like the themed dances many evenings lasting till after 11pm before normal music was played. Just play a variety of music from Latin, Ballroom and Disco and we can do the rest. Please don't do themes like line dancing, jazz, country. One or two included isn't a problem but not a whole theme. This again was Susan's idea from what I was told.

I also loved my cruise and can't wait to get back on Seabourn again. I just hope Seabourn don't go the way of doing the same thing as other cruise lines to try to attract their clientelle. I am hoping this change was just due to Susan's scheduling and not the direction Seabourn is heading. Because after reading your review as much as you enjoyed your cruise it doesn't seem you are planning to return in a hurry. Also friends we made who are Regent regulars liked the lectures and enjoyed their cruise but prefer to have excursions included so are not likely to sail Seabourn again. These changes made with so much on just frustrated some of us Seabourn regulars. So why do it when too me it is better to have the uniqueness that helps give people the variety to select cruise lines that suit their desires.

Interesting review.Many Thanks

The vexed question of meal times presents a real problem for international operations.

I am about to generalise so bear with me.Americans love to dine early.Most US hotels start breakfast at 6am and dinner at 5pm.For many Europeans this is either the middle of the night or the middle of the Afternoon.

The most challenging is to match the needs of the Americans with the Spanish who are still enjoying lunch at 5pm and wouldnt dream of going out for dinner untill 10.30pm or later.

The complexity of matching these diverse requirements is a constant challenge for cruise lines, restaurants and hotels.At least on Seabourn there is 24 hr in cabin service.Bon apetit!

Thanks for taking the time to review. It's very helpful for us as first time cruisers about to embark on the odyssey April 10th!

We have to remember to do the same when we get back to help others looking or the same kind of info.

We had friends on board for this cruise and I have to say that their comments mirrored 'frantic36' .. Susan may not be everyones cup of tea ?

Like everything in cruising and in life, CDs appeal to different people! We liked Susan, but did find her just a little in your face; we love Handre, but he is probably too little 'in your face' for some. On our last cruise the CD made absolutely no announcements at all - I personally quite like to be told that the ship has been cleared when we arrive in port, and when we must all be back on board. He was notably not around or chatty.

Susan is not to my liking either.

Handre is a lovely guy,yes he is quiet but his attention to detail is good. John Barron is very good and has a great singing voice.

Hope to see him back onboard a Seabourn ship after his broken ankle repairs.

What will become of David E Greene once the smaller ships have gone?

Thanks for the review, we're on in just over a week and can't wait. Our experience on the last cruise with Restaurant 2 was very positive and it became harder and harder to book as the cruise went on, we'll certainly try it out again and hope it's as good. Our last CD was a bit ho-hum, we saw her early in the cruise and one morning at passport collection and that was about it, not sure what we want from a CD. Our hope is the executive chef from our last cruise is on the ship ... we can hope.

Sounds like you had a great time, a perfect cruise is when the line does everything they can, and what they miss you forgive. I hope that's our mindset going into this cruise.

We were on that same cruise and are writing to provide a different perspective. We think onetravelbug's post truly demonstrates that where one stands depends on where one sits.

We consider ourselves regular Seabourn cruisers. We agree that the lecturers and entertainers were high quality, interesting and entertaining. However, the statement about the variety of performances left us shaking our heads in wonder. The production shows have been the same for nearly 2 years and we've seen them countless times. The dialogue between the songs is outdated and the shows are so scripted that the talented performances don't have the autonomy to update them. To be fair, these shows are provided by a production company under contract, but it is a management oversight issue. Some of the costumes have been in use since Odyssey's maiden voyage. Thankfully, these Seabourn Singers and dancers are very talented and personable and we enjoyed seeing the shows on this cruise - a couple of times - but didn't return to see the same performance more than twice during our extended stay.

As with any cruise, the other entertainers were a matter of preference. We've seen many of the performances on previous cruises, and we based our decision to attend on how much we enjoyed the performer the previous time(s). We thought there was a good mix.

We also agree that the enrichment lectures were of the quality we've come to expect and enjoy from Seabourn. Unlike onetravelbug, we were very disappointed with the timing and scheduling of both the lectures and entertainment programs which, for us, represents a significant change in the daily tone and "flow" of a Seabourn cruise. We also believe this change is directly responsible for the difficulties mentioned in Onetravelbug's review regarding spotty service in dining venues. Simply put: the afternoon/evening schedules are so compressed that those who wish to see both a 6 or 6:30 p.m. enrichment lecture or entertainment program and the 9:45 show all converged upon the dining venues at approximately the same time - immediately after the 6:30 event (for heaven's sake, don't be caught standing in the aisle when it's over or you will be trampled!). It was not unusual to see long lines for entry into The Restaurant similar to the line that is normally only seen after the Captain's Reception on a "Formal Optional" night. Speaking of Formal Optional Night, one formal night's program had a lecture at 5 p.m. and the Captain's Reception at 6:45, leaving many unhappy about the short amount of time to prepare for a formal evening. Some were told to watch the lecture in-room - which is not only disheartening to the speaker (depending on how many empty seats that causes) but also prohibits one from asking questions.

For the first weeks of our cruise, many of the sea days lacked a morning enrichment lecture. In fact, lectures often didn't occur until late afternoon and were sometimes scheduled back to back until dinner. Again, this is a matter of preference, but we are among those who would prefer (on a sea day) to attend a morning lecture and perhaps one in the afternoon, and spend part of the day relaxing, reading, socializing or doing some other unorganized or organized activity. On many days, the lectures were ongoing when we would normally be happily sipping champagne and enjoying the sunset. To management's credit, while we were initially told by the CD to "watch it on TV later" if we didn't like the timing, our comments were considered and adjustments were made some weeks into the cruise to at least alternate the timing of such events.

We were told that too many lecturers/lecture requirements and entertainers were scheduled by corporate but that didn't always make sense as there seemed to be plenty of time for other daytime activities such as craft classes (making towel animals, scarf tying, and needlepoint to name a few). One entertainer - a long-time Seabourn favorite - was aboard for 5 days yet only scheduled for a single performance - at 6:30 p.m. That's not cost effective, and is the CD's scheduling decision, as we understand it, not corporate over-booking.

The theme nights in the Club, normally a dance venue, also puzzled us. Several nights the CD would announce, "Put you blue jeans on and come join us in the Club for '50's Night' or 'Country Music Night', " etc. Not only was the CD's "Put your blue jeans on and come to the Club" statement disturbing to us (you've no idea what that encouraged in the Club in terms of the infamous dress code), but we found the these nights very limiting as well.

For example, one night during a given cruise segment, the Club was used as a Comedy Club (the comedian had performed after dinner in the Grand Saloon a few nights earlier and wasn't well received as he was "too American" and his humor didn't translate well); another night was "Jazz Night" featuring instrumentals that were very nice but one could not dance to them; another night was "Country Music Line Dancing Night" (the only ones dancing were crew and performers); on other nights the Club was used for Name that Tune and the always popular Liar's Club. My point is that if couples enjoy socializing and dancing, there was no place to do so until nearly midnight or later (the elimination of the duos on the large ships and replacing them with a solo guitarist eliminated dancing prospects there) on several theme nights, as the Club was used for other purposes while the Grand Salon may or may not have been concurrently used for another show or perhaps a "Move Night." And if the theme night music isn't to your taste - such as Disco Night, or Country Music Night - or for that matter, British Invasion Night, 50's Night, 60's Night, Broadway Night, Standards Night or any of the other themes we saw, then you won't be doing much dancing, either. Like Frantic36, we don't mind the occasional theme gimmick, but a nice blend or mix of musical styles (instead of a single style each night) would provide something for everyone to dance to during an evening - if one doesn't like that particular style - just sit out the song, rather than sitting out the entire evening.

One final issue about the entertainment - the performing musicians, singers and dancers in the Entertainment Department work hard and are all very talented. But it is our feeling that eliminating the duo musicians that were on the large ships and replacing them with the solo guitar player that alternates sets with the band in the Club (in lieu of the duos alternating with the Band) is also detrimental to a nightclub atmosphere. While the guitar player was very talented and his songs were performed well, his sets created a coffee house atmosphere and, for us, discouraged a pre- or post-dinner dancing atmosphere. Coupled with the limited scope of the theme nights and other after dinner uses for the Club, a dancing atmosphere has been sharply curtailed and those who wanted to dance found limited opportunities to do so. This is in sharp contrast to previous cruises where there were ample opportunities for dancing and we, along with others, found ourselves very unhappy about the change in philosophy.

We were told that many of the changes associated with daily program changes were a result of passengers' complaints that the 10:00 p.m. shows are too late, dinner is served too late, and there aren't enough activities scheduled for guests on sea days. Personally, the pace of the Seabourn we know was one of the things we love most - - we enjoy a leisurely "learn, cruise, snooze and socialize" pace on sea days, we don't want early dinners and would like to dine at leisure rather than rush to make a 9:45 show (believe me, that 15 minutes seems to make a big difference in the MDR), we resent being shuffled between rushed enrichment lectures (with lecturers implying they were given less time to speak than usually allotted), and we want a night life. We are hoping this was an anomaly with this CD; as we know this was not the case with several of the other CDs with whom we've sailed. Incidentally, we were at the same ice cream social (which would normally have been a sail away party since we were leaving port) and did see her circulating and chatting among the guests, but did not personally experience her greeting. In fact, we were on board for over a month before the CD ever addressed us by name - and when she did, she got it wrong. As many noted above, different CDs appeal to different people. While very polished and accomplished, flexibility appeared to be an issue; thus she was not as much to our liking as the other CDs we've encountered on Seabourn.

Now you have 2 very different perspectives. It's understandable that Seabourn needs to appeal to disparate tastes, but I'm wondering why (if these changes are a result of complaints) what appears to be knee-jerk reactions instead of compromise? Or is this simply change for change's sake?

Most of this scheduling is the responsibility of the CD. It might have helped to have a word with her early on to make her aware of the inconvenience of her scheduling. Perhaps she might have corrected things.

Most of this scheduling is the responsibility of the CD. It might have helped to have a word with her early on to make her aware of the inconvenience of her scheduling. Perhaps she might have corrected things.

Wripro I think Susan is a very nice person but she does like to do things her way.

We did try to mention some of the music issues with her. For example my husband at one of her ballroom dance classes mentioned that the evening prior at 9pm in the club we had tried to practice some of our dancing because the club was empty. Because there was only a CD playing of Rap/Hip Hop? it had been rather difficult. We didn't mind it being a CD but maybe not that type of music playing. Her reply was they needed to cater for all tastes so that is why she included that music as well. My husband didn't want to get into a discussion with her about it so he didn't say anything further.

I mentioned this music when I had my chat with Andreas the Guest Services Manager and he was very surprised as he commented we don't have that age demographic. We noticed some changes after talking with Andreas.

On reflection I understand there maybe some need to include more scheduling during the day but please leave our evenings to enjoy as before. I have read RHN, clarky and Debbie's narratives and missed that opportunity for the relaxed dancing with minimal interference.

I am not meaning to have a go at Susan as I think she has many redeeming qualities. It was just in my discussions with her I came away with the feeling because of her background ie HAL she has more of a feel for big ship scheduling rather small ship relaxation. I know she has done Silversea but that didn't come up in our conversations.

Henry,if you had met Susan Wood then you would know that she is not flexible.

She charges straight ahead like a race horse with blinkers on.:rolleyes:

Henry,if you had met Susan Wood then you would know that she is not flexible.

She charges straight ahead like a race horse with blinkers on.:rolleyes:

So if she tried the steeple-chase, she'd get stuck at the first fence? ;)

Also meant to add the the halfway comment cards are a good place to express dissatisfaction. They pay close attention to those.

We did have a conversation with her early on, and were abruptly told to watch the lectures on TV later. We did make the comments on the cards and expressed our opinions to management as well. That's what I meant in the post above in the sentence containing the phrases, "To be fair, to management's credit, while we were initially told...., our comments were considered and adjustments were made some weeks into the cruise..." It did take a bit of time before these adjustments were made, but that was at least understandable because she had recently joined the ship and implemented her changes. So management did give her a bit of a "honeymoon" - fair enough - dealing with it after receiving feedback from numerous guests. My point was that this was very different from our other Seabourn cruises and we hoped this was not the new norm. Yet I know that it may appeal to others!

medroots,

Sorry, I missed that part about the comment cards.

Id SB is giving her a honeymoon, let's hope it is soon over. I hate that she abruptly told you to watch the lectures on TV. Perhaps her next assignment should be on the Carnival Triumph!

Wripro I think Susan is a very nice person but she does like to do things her way.

We did try to mention some of the music issues with her. For example my husband at one of her ballroom dance classes mentioned that the evening prior at 9pm in the club we had tried to practice some of our dancing because the club was empty. Because there was only a CD playing of Rap/Hip Hop? it had been rather difficult. We didn't mind it being a CD but maybe not that type of music playing. Her reply was they needed to cater for all tastes so that is why she included that music as well. My husband didn't want to get into a discussion with her about it so he didn't say anything further.

I mentioned this music when I had my chat with Andreas the Guest Services Manager and he was very surprised as he commented we don't have that age demographic. We noticed some changes after talking with Andreas.

On reflection I understand there maybe some need to include more scheduling during the day but please leave our evenings to enjoy as before. I have read RHN, clarky and Debbie's narratives and missed that opportunity for the relaxed dancing with minimal interference.

I am not meaning to have a go at Susan as I think she has many redeeming qualities. It was just in my discussions with her I came away with the feeling because of her background ie HAL she has more of a feel for big ship scheduling rather small ship relaxation. I know she has done Silversea but that didn't come up in our conversations.

Oh dear . . . . we are thinking of trying our first Seabourn cruise. We have only cruised Oceania and have really enjoyed their relaxed atmosphere and expected to be the same on Seabourn.

Can't think of anything worse than trying to rush around getting from lectures to dinner etc. We are use to one lecture in the morning and one in the afternoon with lots of time to relax in between and before dinner.

Maybe we should stick to what we know ??

Oh dear . . . . we are thinking of trying our first Seabourn cruise. We have only cruised Oceania and have really enjoyed their relaxed atmosphere and expected to be the same on Seabourn.

Can't think of anything worse than trying to rush around getting from lectures to dinner etc. We are use to one lecture in the morning and one in the afternoon with lots of time to relax in between and before dinner.

Maybe we should stick to what we know ??

I guess that is why medroots and I mentioned this problem. This is not the normal for Seabourn and we hope this was an anomoly and will go back to the usual, which is exactly what you have experienced on Oceania.

We have certainly put forward our thoughts to Seabourn so we will see. I have still got two further cruises booked with Seabourn and the staff, food, quality of entertainment and amenties were all still wonderful.

Julie

Archived