Back from 36 day odyssey cruise

onetravelbug

I guess that is why medroots and I mentioned this problem. This is not the normal for Seabourn and we hope this was an anomoly and will go back to the usual, which is exactly what you have experienced on Oceania.

We have certainly put forward our thoughts to Seabourn so we will see. I have still got two further cruises booked with Seabourn and the staff, food, quality of entertainment and amenties were all still wonderful.

Julie

It is all moot now as we have discovered (from another thread) that Seabourn allows smoking in cabins, balconies, and some other areas which has put us off.

We are amazed, having been use to non-smoking cabins, verandas and public areas apart from a designated smokers lounge and one outdoor area on Oceania.

Reading the Seabourn thread on smoking it appears to have been a real problem for many - a problem we can do without.

We are disappointed as we were looking forward to trying Seabourn - maybe when/if they ever change their smoking policy.

It is all moot now as we have discovered (from another thread) that Seabourn allows smoking in cabins, balconies, and some other areas which has put us off.

We are amazed, having been use to non-smoking cabins, verandas and public areas apart from a designated smokers lounge and one outdoor area on Oceania.

Reading the Seabourn thread on smoking it appears to have been a real problem for many - a problem we can do without.

We are disappointed as we were looking forward to trying Seabourn - maybe when/if they ever change their smoking policy.

You are reading too much into the smoking issue.complaints on forums are sometimes not what they seem or are exagerated a little by people who have no intention of trying a particular line.

I have a lot of days with Seabourn as well as many other lines.

I have never had a problem with smoke on Seabourn.

I have a lot of days on Seabourn and I have never once smelled smoke in my suite.

As for a leisurely pace, that is what you will typically find on Seabourn. You are free to do as much or as little as you like.

I'll add another voice to reinforce that statement -- many times on Seabourn and I have never smelled smoke in my suite ( and I am very sensitive to the smell of stale cigarette smoke). Only once have smelled it in the corridor outside the suites. I'm not wild about smoking on one side of the forward lounge during tea but it has never stopped me from indulging in an occasional serving of clotted cream with a side of scone! If you have other reasons to nix Seabourn so be it -- but don't let the smoking put you off.

I'm not wild about smoking on one side of the forward lounge during tea but it has never stopped me from indulging in an occasional serving of clotted cream with a side of scone!

Chairsin,

Smoking is now not allowed in the lounge whilst afternoon tea is being served.

Smoking in the lounge is very rare now, especially on the Quest now that Mrs W does not sail anymore.

Well that is good news. As recently as December there was smoking in the lounge during tea on the Spirit. But as I said it did not stop me from enjoying tea time.Ironically our only time on the Quest we never went to tea -- it will be interesting to see if we partake during our upcoming fall Quest trip.

I'll add another voice to reinforce that statement -- many times on Seabourn and I have never smelled smoke in my suite ( and I am very sensitive to the smell of stale cigarette smoke). Only once have smelled it in the corridor outside the suites. I'm not wild about smoking on one side of the forward lounge during tea but it has never stopped me from indulging in an occasional serving of clotted cream with a side of scone! If you have other reasons to nix Seabourn so be it -- but don't let the smoking put you off.

Thanks for your comments. We will give it some thought. I guess having had a bad smoking experience elsewhere has made us a lot more cautious.

Thanks for your comments. We will give it some thought. I guess having had a bad smoking experience elsewhere has made us a lot more cautious.

I have sailed Seabourn many times on the big sisters and have not had an issue with smoke. I urge you to reconsider.

One of the reasons that we chose to sail Seabourn vs. Crystal for this recent cruise was the fact that Crystal has changed its show for 2nd seating passengers to 7pm [except on formal opt. nights]. This means

earlier preparation for dinner and a less relaxed cocktail hour.

Happily, on Quest the evening entertainment/show was heald at 9:45pm and appeared well attended. The main lectures were at 9:45am and 11am

with some [to me] minor speakers on some afternoons...how to get a flatter abdomen, the jewelry designer,etc.

No mid-way comment cards though.

WriPro,

Perhaps this is a matter of semantics. Are you referring to actual comment cards or the letter from the Hotel Manager that passengers receive during the first part of the cruise asking them to let him know if there is anything he can to to make their cruise more enjoyable ?( Unfortunately I am paraphrasing here as I can't seem to find a copy of one in my files of papers from past cruises).Perhaps Paula did receive one of those.

Is this the same Susan Wood who was on the the small Princess ship two years ago from Rome through Africa? If so, the disorganization of events was noticeable to all aboard.

We had had several Seabourn cruises under our belt and diverted because the itinerary was so special. Not only were events over scheduled, but several times something had to be canceled at the last minute because one event was listed for a room, while the previous event was only half finished.

This was a great cruise in every other way (we had planned our own excursions) but the CD's area of responsibility was a disaster.

My experience of comment cards has always been that if you are doing a back-to-back (two separate cruises) you will be given a card, and actually asked to fill it in, following the first half, as well as one at the end. Always, within the first 4 days or so of a cruise, we have had a letter from the Hotel Director asking us to let him know if there is anything which needs to be done to improve the cruise.

My understanding is David E will accept Seabourn's offer of being a Cruise Director on the larger ships after the Baby Girls go to Wind Star. ~ he has never accepted a full time CD, Likes being an assn. as they don't write/do the daily Herald, etc.

Martita B

My understanding is David E will accept Seabourn's offer of being a Cruise Director on the larger ships after the Baby Girls go to Wind Star. ~ he has never accepted a full time CD, Likes being an assn. as they don't write/do the daily Herald, etc.

Martita B

So the CD is responsible for the Herald? Does that pertain to the menus listed in the Herald as well?

Martita B

That's interesting. We have had David E twice on the Legend as CD. He was assisted last year by 2 Brits, both lovely. I can't remember the young man's name but the lady was Susanne - brilliant alto voice and very hands on and always there chatting to passengers. We dined with her and she said that she did the Herald. I hope everyone who wants to stay with Seabourn is able to. We have met some lovely entertainments staff over our cruises.

I believe writing the daily Herald varies each cruise and each ship, but the bottom line is "the Cruise Director is responsible for the Herald." One cruise years ago the Assn. CD spelled the Captains name wrong :confused: And another cruise the Assn. CD was a 'lit confused .....wrote the Hotel MG as Captain and the Captain as the Hot Man! ~of course we all had a good laugh, including the Capt. and the Hotel Manager.:D

As to David E I know, in the past,he has preferred being Assn. CD......but not being on the ships this year (illness) many things have changed ~~ It's sorta like Kai not wanting to be a Master ~he prefers being Staff Captain.

Happy, safe week! :p

Martita B

We have sailed with many CDs, some great and some not so great, but David E and Jan Stearman are fantastic and it would be a very sad day for Seabourn if they moved over to Windstar!

wjf

I totally agree.....David E and Jan are THE very best cruise directors in the Seabourn fleet! Seattle is aware both cannot be replaced so I believe they will not go anywhere ~~after the Baby Girls (as Capt Magnus calls them) go to Wind Star David E & Jan will be aboard the larger ships.

Jan and her husband sweet Dan (saxaphone-use to be in the Seabourn band) enjoy sailing together.

Enjoy your week!:p

Martita B

Archived