Crew Fund-Something to Consider

mariner

Silversea, like Seabourn, has a no tipping policy. They also have a crew fund but it's not mentioned or directly promoted in any way that we noticed last year. In fact, the only way I knew about it was from reading the Silversea section of Cruise Critic. We did contribute to it but it took us asking the CD as there was no announcement verbal or printed, it was not actively solicited.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH THAT!

Now instead of tipping crew directly, along with the hotel charge, I will donate to this fund. Hopefully all crew will benefit.

I don't feel this is an "either or" situation. If you are tipping a crew member directly, in addition to the hotel charge, I assume it is for extra service. You would not be recognizing the crew member directly if you gave to the crew fund instead.

We've sailed over 80 cruises on HAL, know lots of folks on the ships, and this is the first I've ever heard of a crew fund on HAL ships so they hardly make it well known or 'solicit' for it. No way they are promoting or suggesting or hinting at guests making contributions. If we didn't hear of it, I'm sure there are a vast majority of HAL cruisers who never heard of it.

But I am very unlikely to forget about it and it will be a priority of ours to contribute on all our future cruises.

The Crew Fund is just that, a fund for crew activities; Captain Card mentioned a bunch of them in his post (top of this page) some other activities paid for it are crew parties, equipment for the ship's soccer team, etc. It is by no means used/meant to augment the income of the crew. You can certainly asked the Front Office personnel if you can donate to it but, last I checked, the means to do so are not set up, i.e. you can't tell them "I would like to donate xx amount to the crew fund" because they, the FO, do not have the ability to transfer to that fund. Hope that makes sense

The "cash box" I was referring to is located in a "crew only" area, contains U.S. and other countries' coins/bill placed in there by crew members. In the past, it has been used (after being cashed out/changed into one currency, to make donations to a good cause, be it in places like Alaska, Nicaragua, El Salvador, etc.

Yes, Copper. The times I have left money in the "box" it is clearly marked regarding the use, NOT crew but charities in countries the ships visit.

Yubasutter,

Have you never worked for a company or organization that provided funds for employee parties, sports teams, emergency funds, special events? If not, how unfortunate. I am not talking about "mom and pop" businesses, but organizations/corporations far smaller than HAL. What a morale booster it can be. (And the places I am talking about pay their lowest paid employees quite a bit above minimum wage

Peaches described the Seabourn tipping situation perfectly. But in addition to tipping some staffwho went above and beyond (i.e. to wife: "What are your favorite flowers?" Only to find them in the suite soon after), we donated to the crew fund.

This was not in expectation of even better service (although after we did, they couldn't have done enough). This was to make life more pleasant. On Seabourn, some pax specify the money should be spent on an evening of open bar for the crew, or excursions, or bingo, or buy a new flat screen.

But more importantly, there are times when one of the crew needs to get home in an emergency. And if they can't afford the airfare (and on HAL where the crew live on the other side of the world), the crew fund covers the ticket.

I think that's a good thing.

Yes, Copper. The times I have left money in the "box" it is clearly marked regarding the use, NOT crew but charities in countries the ships visit.

Yubasutter,

Have you never worked for a company or organization that provided funds for employee parties, sports teams, emergency funds, special events? If not, how unfortunate. I am not talking about "mom and pop" businesses, but organizations/corporations far smaller than HAL. What a morale booster it can be. (And the places I am talking about pay their lowest paid employees quite a bit above minimum wage

With that logic, shouldn't HAL be the one who contributes to the fund?

But more importantly, there are times when one of the crew needs to get home in an emergency. And if they can't afford the airfare (and on HAL where the crew live on the other side of the world), the crew fund covers the ticket.

This is incorrect. One a cruise, our cabin steward's mother passed away. Holland America Line paid for his ticket home 100%, no questions asked. Coordinators in Seattle made all of his arrangements. It was not covered by a crew fund on the ship. When he was saying his goodbyes to us and letting us know that he would not be there for the rest of our cruise, he mentioned that all emergecies, such as this, involving immediate family members were covered by the company.

The Crew Fund is just that, a fund for crew activities; Captain Card mentioned a bunch of them in his post (top of this page) some other activities paid for it are crew parties, equipment for the ship's soccer team, etc. It is by no means used/meant to augment the income of the crew. You can certainly asked the Front Office personnel if you can donate to it but, last I checked, the means to do so are not set up, i.e. you can't tell them "I would like to donate xx amount to the crew fund" because they, the FO, do not have the ability to transfer to that fund. Hope that makes sense

The "cash box" I was referring to is located in a "crew only" area, contains U.S. and other countries' coins/bill placed in there by crew members. In the past, it has been used (after being cashed out/changed into one currency, to make donations to a good cause, be it in places like Alaska, Nicaragua, El Salvador, etc.

Copper, can you find out how we can contribute to the Crew Fund? Maybe write a separate check? Thanks. :)

I thinks it sweet that the crew members contribute to the "cash box" for donations to others.

As earlier mentioned, the fund is 99% paid for by Holland America Line, and exists for the crew. To be honest I have never heard of guests contributing towards it, but I know it would always be appreciated.

For the comment about if crew need repatriating due to sickness/death in the family etc, HAL 100% pay for them to be repatriated, and cover all costs. Holland America pay for the costs of all crew embarking and disembarking their ships. They are one of the better employers, and do look after crew very well.

Topsham is correct in what he says the fund covers.

My information is based on when I worked for Holland America Line up until a few years ago, and I assume it hasn't changed.

I've heard of crew/officers/staff who become ill while aboard the ships and HAL is always spoken of so highly as to how they take care of their crews. They do all anyone would hope and then even more to see they get well taken care of.

As earlier mentioned, the fund is 99% paid for by Holland America Line, and exists for the crew. To be honest I have never heard of guests contributing towards it, but I know it would always be appreciated.

For the comment about if crew need repatriating due to sickness/death in the family etc, HAL 100% pay for them to be repatriated, and cover all costs. Holland America pay for the costs of all crew embarking and disembarking their ships. They are one of the better employers, and do look after crew very well.

Topsham is correct in what he says the fund covers.

My information is based on when I worked for Holland America Line up until a few years ago, and I assume it hasn't changed.

It hasnt changed! Maasdam had a crew member (stage crew) lose his Mum while the ship was in Brazil. The ship's Purser and HRM coordinated, with the assistace of the travel coordinator in Seattle, took care of/arranged his emergency flight home to the Philippines

It hasnt changed! Maasdam had a crew member (stage crew) lose his Mum while the ship was in Brazil. The ship's Purser and HRM coordinated, with the assistace of the travel coordinator in Seattle, took care of/arranged his emergency flight home to the Philippines

When we were on the Prinsendam in 2011 we 'lost' our wine steward due to a family emergency (brother dying). We got a new wine steward (very lovely lady) and we expressed our concern for him and his family. She proudly said that HAL had him well on his way and made a point of mentioning how wonderful HAL was in these circumstances. She was truly proud of the organization she worked for. And she was a delightful wine steward - I'll be thrilled if she is on again;)

I don't think it's necessary for guests to contribute to a crew fund. I have always understood that HAL is a good employer and takes care of their crews in emergencies, and I gather that the crew fund is something the crew members contribute to themselves to cover activities and celebrations. Quite possibly, when we give them extra tips they may be putting some of it "in the pot".

Not to be snarky but do you contribute to the welfare fund at schools, hotels, auto service stations, restaurants, hospitals? The crews are wonderful and I give you that but beyond tips for services these individuals have applied for and recieved a job for which they are compensated. The amount of compensation is agreed upon once they accept the position and if they are unhappy with this arrangement then they can seek employment elsewhere once their contract has been fullfilled. My guess is that most compensated employees are happy considering the long tenures on the ships. "Tip" is said to represent "to insure promptness" and is also reputed to stand for "to insure proper service"(tips). In service industries people in postions to get tips recieve low pay or no pay and the tip becomes somewhat of a commission. The company (HAL) has a system set up for rewarding employees and makes great revenue. Why must we pad the bottom line of a multi-million dollar company. Ask my wife who is 100% commission if anyone owes her anything. She does well because she works at it and is rewarded in the end.

Right on! I think $22/day per cabin, plus additional tips for waiters, bartenders, room stewards, etc. is sufficient compensation.

They certainly do advertise no tipping. From Seabourn's web page under "Money Matters / Gratuities":

Are Gratuities Included?

Tipping is neither required nor expected.

igraf

Seabourn does NOT have a service charge added to the final bill. They do not advertise 'no tipping', you just are told when you book that all tips are included in the basic cost of your cruise. Tipping is never mentioned by the cruiseline or by pax while on board. Everyone knows tips/sc is taken care of before you ever board in your fare. All the nonsense of removing an auto-tip etc is a non-issue. You expect good service and you more than get it. End of discussion. There is a crew fund which is never mentioned but you can contribute at your own initiative if you want to anonymously give the crew as a group some funds for parties or group activities.

Archived