Live from Seabourn Legend

DebbieH103

Trip started very early @ 3:20 am from Spring/Woodlands, TX onto Houston IAH. Early push back on American, early arrival in Miami and St. Thomas! Yeah. Small airport, Seabourn sign w/ our name on it. No need to do Seabourn transfers, but it was simple. Husband's parents were delayed 2 hours in San Juan and were not so lucky. We got to Bolongo Bay at about 12:40, the arrived just before 6.

We were on all-inclusive plan, thank goodness, prices sky high there due to paying US wage for labor! Anyway, we knew room would be below our standard but that everything else would be fun and such as long as you read the rules. All-inclusive there you can have lobster, lots of seafood such as crab legs and so on, but due to Good Friday, only beer and wine till 4 pm. We drink chardonnay anyway. Nobody expecting a tip, but they can accept them.

Had a good time visiting with lots of workers finding out how they ended up in St. Thomas and what their situation was. Great entertainment at Iggie's and lots more people to talk to. Some rain came after dinner, everyone in my family went to bed but me. I stayed out till after 12 and had a nice time.

In the morning, we had breakfast. I had a wonderful sail with Dave, and he showed me 4 islands. There were turtles and fish, all the stuff we did was included. We met 007 and TheJosh, Alex. Kevin, assistant restaurant manager at Lobster Grille was exceptional.

Our 1 pm Seabourn ride showed up at 12:45. We were all barely ready, hotel was fine with us keeping our rooms, having any fun we wanted as long as we wanted.

So fun both ways to see a little scenery - ride from airport to hotel about 7 miles and from hotel to ship about 3 miles though lots of traffic on Saturday. Gave us more time for pics.

Boarding involved lots of guys dealing with our luggage, signing some papers before we stepped onboard. Onboard, we checked in and were served drinks. They had a holding pattern there for about 40 min. There were sandwiches and desserts, we did not have any of that, already ate lunch.

It was crowded in there and a bit stressful even with a drink. Husband was given our room keys to go early, but we waited until invited officially to get the full Seabourn experience since we are used to Silversea and Regent.

I will try not to make the live review a comparison to the other lines, though I will do a report like that later. Internet is too slow to do too many things even with the unlimited plan just because the cruise is so great that I don't want to miss a thing.

Enjoy the fact that husband's parents are next door and there is a master door. We can be set up as a 2 bedroom suit or close off from each other at will. Pretty neat. We like the A1 setup, but I really miss a balcony. SS has binoculars, and that is about all we are missing except Todd can't figure out the hot water, he is too tall for shower, etc.

The four of us shared salmon canapes and did our toast with the stewardess and cabin walkthru together.

Cindy and I toured the ship and took pics. Jim napped, Todd enjoyed the cabin. After the fire drill (no lifejackets needed), we all unpacked (ladies) and had a cocktail. Todd went to sailaway. I was here waiting for him so missed it!

Tried to find the Cruise Critic meet at 6, but the location wasn't open, and I found nobody. No worries, we had already met other people, so I chatted a bit, then we all got ready for dinner.

People are very casual, and in spite of docs mailed to us, only the formal optional night requires a jacket for men. All other nights are resort casual, and all nights are resort casual on this cruise in Restaurant 2.

Signup everywhere was super easy, though things take a bit of time because every station has one person, and they get a lot of calls and other interruptions

Staff is largely European but also very diverse.

Guests seem to be from many places. Lots of Europeans and Americans. I have seen 5 children so far. If they are under 13, they have a colored arm band. We only have seen one of those on a boy that looked about 8. There is another girl that might be 11 or 12 but she had a jacket over her arm. The other 3 are teens. All are perfectly behaved and mixing in and are certainly so far of no concern in any way.

Regarding the portions - the shrimp cocktail had 3 shrimp. Todd and my MIL had that. Todd and I ordered all 5 courses, and I loved the portions. The crab salad was about 4 bites, but that is what I love - tastings. I enjoyed the carrot and ginger soup, though I have had better. The vegetarian curried vegetable entree was super great. I tasted Todd's medium rare filet, and it was cooked to perfection and could be cut with a butter knife.

Our waiters were Luvieve, Milli and one other gent. Luvieve was beautifully arrogant about us ladies ordering for the men and various other things. Loved it.

I had a divine strawberry sorbet, Todd had strawberry cheesecake. The petit fours were wonderful, especially the lemon tart with raspberry on top.

Todd and I went for blackjack and also live music and dancing in the club. There were two acts alternating sets so there was never a gap. Same wine steward knew the French chardonnay we enjoyed and was there pouring. We also had a "real drink" made to perfection. Todd went to bed before me, and I stayed awhile and danced the night away with a few people.

This morning, in-laws went on excursion here in St. Martin. It is Easter, so church and relaxation order of the day here. I MAY get off the boat. Todd and I have been to all ports, so not worried.

They are having a seafood lunch today, and I have a mani and pedi after that. We will do golf putting and also trivia and then drinks in club and captain's welcome. Formal optional tonight. They will have a variety show at 10.

The boat rocks more than we have experienced in the Caribbean but not enough.

I wish the cabin had binoculars. Love the wall clock. The other clock is incorrect.

Even with a power strip, it is tough to deal with all of our devices without extension cord.

Some other things of note We received the tote bag. We received a lovely little Caribbean tour book. I had heard that Seabourn does not have the port writeups like we are used to, but untrue. They do.

We have slippers, nothing missing.

Two slots do not work, and the recumbant bike has been out for two months. Those two things are a slight inconvenience.

I can't wait to do the steam room and hot tub etc.

Ship has free personal shopper tour where she is going to negotiate for people at the shops and facilitate bathrooms and all sorts of stuff. They have free shuttle. The tenders are running constantly.

They have plenty of activities even though there is no sea day.

There is a full fitness schedule. There IS a walking ring.

We have no trouble seeing the TV from bed or living room. Living room has lots of seating. We probably would love the bigger Seabourn ships.

We were worried about the smoking policy and that the rooms would smell like smoke, but you could not tell if anyone ever smoked in these rooms, and there is no smell in the hall.

The locked cabinet in the bathroom is no big deal. We have plenty of toiletries and can get anything we need.

Getting a bottle of chardonnay has been no problem.

Getting my whole limes was gone over with the stewardess, and she asked how many per day. Haven't had any yet but Todd has had do not disturb on.

Good report Debbie.

Order off the menu in the restaurant with 24 hours notice.

Steak Diane,dover sole,rack of Lamb, crepe suzette.Strawberries Madagascar.

Caviar on deck and try room service dinner if you are tired one evening.

Don't forget to check with your dining room "Fry Cheffy" for the fabulous luncheon onions rings! To die for!:D I've ordered the platter many times (for the middle of our table) when we are seated for lunch ~wine/ a cocktail and oh-so-crispy onions rings for starters ~can not beat the combination.

If you have a 'lit problem with your shy waiter, just request to speak with the Maitre'D ~ the fried onions rings are very easy to prepare, but not many Sailor's are aware they can order the rings.....they are not on the menu.

Happy, and safe sailing Easter! Have a grand cruise!

Wish I was aboard instead of HOT, (92 DEGRS) very dry West Texas

The good news, however, I have early beautiful bluebonnets in my back yard!

Bouquet of our State sweet smelling flowers in my kitchen window :p Makes me happy ~

Martita B

Hi Debbie

I'm enjoying your live report...can't wait for the next instalment.

Remember, don't get your finger caught in the door! :eek:

Best regards to Todd.

Cheers

Jennifer

Thanks for all the tips. Todd loves onion rings, and I do love strawberries Madagascar, and Jennifer, I don't think I could ever survive another finger smashing door incident. Thankfully, these doors don't close automatically like Silver Spirit.

So, yesterday, we made our own sea day. Todd and I have been to all of these ports, most a few times. We figured everything would be closed on Easter, anyway.

Jim and Cindy loved the easy tender and the well-organized excursion in St. Martin. There were 13 on it.

By the way, they said at the captain's party that there are 151 on board. We had been told we would probably be upgraded to balcony the last day, but everyone had said they were fine, and I was too busy to mess with it. Todd probably would not let me open the balconette much, though I would like it for port arrival because the windows stay water splashed, and you could not get a decent pic from them.

Seabourn still does the fruit daily in the room without having to request it.

Easter started with a lovely Easter basket and ended with a beautiful red rose on the bed that I put in with the other flowers.

We overslept and missed church but caught a service on TV. Not the same, but it was nice.

It does help to put personal comments on the guest services card in advance. I had put that I like whole limes and that we like for there always to be chardonnay in the room. She had asked how many limes a day, and the Robert Mondavay private selection 2011 Central Coast chardonnay is sitting there (two bottles with one chilled).

My father-in-law had asked how early could he get coffee daily, and both mornings he has pleasantly greeted the coffee and full breakfast.

Todd and I sat in the room in the morning yesterday reading all the literature, sleeping in and using the slow internet (better in port).

We love lunch, usually we are too full for breakfast. When Jim and Cindy got back at about 12:30, we went straight up to the seafood lunch. We chose to dine inside, but you can dine outside, as well. The scenery was beautiful.

The Verandah Café was decorated for Easter, and service was great. The potatoes were great, veal was good, seafood salad was good, and the blueberry cake was amazing. A couple of our group had the grilled grouper and loved that, and they had the dessert that was basically like a Reeses peanut butter cup in a glass.

The fruit was nice, also.

I hurried on to my shellac manicure and pedicure. They have a pedi "throne" onboard, but the girl doesn't think it is sanitary so would not turn it on.

Anyway, we had a nice chat, and I came out in time to join Todd for the golf putting He just missed getting a nice prize, I came in last.

After that, we got in the Jacuzzi. That was great except for the young boy that seemingly did not speak English and was jumping back and forth between the two. His mother retrieved him, and all was well. Service was great. They brought over mango sorbet floating in champagne. The tub temp was perfect.

Next, we started a trivia team, and we are in the lead. We have Todd, Cindy and I, the two high school girls and their mother and another couple. There are four teams so far.

After trivia, we dressed for dinner and went to the captain's party . We dressed formally, as did many, and it was fun dancing and taking pics and hearing the music.

For dinner, they had caviar (we don't do caviar) and chateaubriand and lobster thermidor. They would not do a grilled or broiled one plain for me but offered to do it for tonight. I said it was OK and that I would be fine with the regular menu. I had the vegetarian potato crepes with grueyer cheese. They have a wonderful vegetarian cook on this ship that is very creative. The tomato with basil soup is nice, also. As the petit fours, they brought white and dark chocolate pops that were ice cream dipped in hard chocolate. Two plates were consumed at our table.

The variety show was at 10. Todd had to retrieve me for that, as I had fallen asleep in the room. It was a fun show with lots of lighting effects. after that, I headed straight to bed.

At dinner, they put us at our same table last night, but they first asked if that was ok or if we wanted to join others. Luvieve barely had anything to do with us, maybe the arrogance wasn't so much fun after all! Anway, Roman and Milli were lovely as they have been at the other meals.

Todd and I got married at Sandals 20 years ago April 4, so today we are going to Sandals in Antigua for a little celebration.

Thanks for your blog, Debbie. We are living it with you seeing it is 4degrees centigrade here! There is a quieter hot tub on deck 5 right at the front of the ship, but don't tell everyone!! A lot of people don't know about it but it is generally lovely and peaceful there. There is a colds tore with drinks and ice for you to serve yourself and the waiters do come down offering iced fruit sticks, cocktails, cold towels etc.

Happy anniversary and keep up the blog!

I love when other posters, when on board, take precious time from their vacations to keep us all informed. Thank you, I hope you are having a fabulous time. So far it sounds like it.

Until my next cruise, I will live vicariously through yours.

I also have been enjoying the posts. But I must admit that I am usually too greedy about my time on Seabourn to post on CC while on board. So it is nice to know that Debbie and others (like RHN) are more generous with their time!

DebbieH103, I have read your posts over many years as you provide a lot of information and I really appreciate the time you spend writing your posts. Seabourn, for our two sailings, has provided us with a fabulous experience and part of that was as a result of knowing what people on CC wrote as to the highlights of their cruises. I look forward to reading your posts. Wishing you a wonderful anniversary celebration!

Debbie,

I also want to thank you for your posts. I am greatly enjoy your insight and descriptions of things that you and your hubby are doing while on the Legend. My wife and I actually will be getting on the Legend this Saturday for the transatlantic crossing. Maybe you might be staying on the ship and heading over to Barcelona also? Keep the posts coming! Also, any tips about the ship (food, cabins, etc.) are GREATLY appreciated.

CMB

Jim and Cindy had their coffee and breakfast again, and we skipped again. We like to have a little morning in the cabin for our internet and to read everything Natasa leaves in the room.

Todd let her take some of the Easter basket. That didn't happen to Cindy since she was in the cabin. I did hang on to that bunny and a few other things!

Some little comments about things in the cabin-the hot water is working now, it is something Natasa had to "set" somewhere. The thermostat is ancient and small, so you must sort of guess what temp you might hope to get. We all love that the light comes on in the closet when you open the door.

Take the time to acquaint yourself with all the switches in the room when it is daylight. The safe is a bit different, so keep the instructions handy for a few days.

Thank you, everyone for the positive feedback. Those who have known me for years know I am very honest, as well as long-winded. When I get off the ship, I will share some pics, but it is too slow.

I think one reason their unlimited is just below the cost of what we are used to paying for 1000 minutes is they know they are slow. I usually can use some time and post a few pics on my blogs and Facebook, etc. but Todd and I have to take turns on this plan, so I am not getting much time. We would have been happier with two smaller packages. Todd's parents are fine to be cut off for a week, but we are used to a quick high and such with family and friends. Decide what works best for you because something different may work for you. You can get the internet on all of your devices, but if one is logged on, you will either get a message to that effect or you will knock each other off.

We know from many other cabins that you must have a power strip to make these trips work better. Make that your one "go to" extra for the first packed list.

Suitcases fit under the bed, so that is nice. We ma not get to have our stuff exactly where we would like it, but there is plenty of storage. We are used to two or three looking after us, and Natasa works alone. She gave us her hours and is willing to take calls, but we just wait. She is very effective if you leave little notes (which she advised us to do).

We are on deck 5, and we know about that hot tub down at the end, but we haven't got in it yet. We all would have rather been on for a couple of weeks, but we did not want to do the same cruise twice in a row, and we did not want to try a TA on this small of a ship. Only Regent Navigator have I felt movement in the Caribbean more than this ship. It has been only enough to be a golf game or dance skill excuse, so don't worry if you are reading this!

I wih they would replace these clock radios that never are on the right time with ipod docking stations.

Todd and I have lots of 220 converters, and we always recommend bringing them to have an extra plug, but we left ours laying there with all the other ?only on vacation" stuff. I was trying to be a good girl and pack less.

I'm staying in the Caribbean for 3 more weeks (going home for a few hrs first), and Todd is going home, as are his parents.

Yesterday in Antigua, we were parked next to "O"s Riviera ship. We talked to a number of those guests, and they were quite happy. We looked so small next to that ship.

Jim and Cindy walked all around town. We all got some pics with the guy I call "the character". He is the one taking photos with people for tips.

A taxi to Dickenson Bay is still $12, and you can go to the beach there if you like. Beaches in Antigua are public. We had our little celebration over at Sandals and took a little time for the hot tub. The pool was cold for us.

We came back for a last minute lunch in The Verandah Café. Yesterday, that was the only restaurant open during the day.

If you do one of next year's similar cruises and it hasn't failed yet (uthum), a handful of Euros could come in handy. Don't forget to bring your sunscreen even if it is sprinkling and such.

The theme was Asian in the lunch room. They were serving some of the sky bar items even though they weren't open over there.

We did the golf putting again, and Jim beat both of us, but Duncan recruits people at the bar, so it is hard to place above 4th. If you do, they have playoffs.

Our trivia team went from first to second yesterday. Judy and Duncan were harder than David E.

Speaking of David E., he did a Nat King Cole performance last night at 6:30. We all loved the show.

Even though the night before I had said not to bother with that lobster, when we got to the entrée course, in addition to what we ordered, they showed up with a family style plate of 4 lobster tails grilled just like I said I love them. I had quail appetizer, the curried soup and the bacon wrapped scallops. I had an orange sorbet. The petit fours were good again.

After dinner, they had a Carnival dance party on deck. We forgot about that. I went and played the rest of my chips at blackjack. It wasn't a lucky night.

We are enjoying the in-room movies. There are 3 a day. We can't come anywhere close to getting them watched, but it gives a choice. All sorts of Oscar-nominated (from 2012) movies are on, so it is of interest.

For the puzzles in the library, they have crosswords and suduko. We have not seen the trivia quizzes we like.

Last night, the boutique had some logo items for 70% off. I picked up a few things for $6 to $10 and got out of there with a big sack for $35. Tonight, she will have many items for her champagne party, but they won't be deals like this.

Of note, when you first get on, book your "2" reservation and waitlist other nights. If you are into caviar, the fomal night and the French night are of note, but those nights have it in the MDR, I think. We are doing "2" for French Bistro tonight, but it is Chef's dinner in MDR. Now that I think of it, tonight it is escargot or fois gras in "2" and caviar in MDR.

Today, we are in Guadaloupe, and they will have the marina day from 1 to 3. I'm looking forward to that.

Well, I couldn't get hubbie to get going this morning (he really did not want to rent scooters, said we'd done that here, blah blah). Well, all the people I told how to do it got them and did everything I recommended. We didn't get one and would not have been able to get one until 2:30. They go from 8:30 to noon and 2:30 to 6 for 25 Euros or 30 dollars. Anyway, the same guy that didn't rent to us last time we were here also was the same. He is not interested in Americans, as many here are not.

We took a few pics and got back on the ship. We rounded up Jim and Cindy and went to Verandah Café for lunch. Today, they were open from noon to two, and the sky bar was serving from 2 to 4. Only on the first day was MDR open for lunch.

I had already mentioned that there are 151 guests onboard. There are 171 staff onboard.

The water was rough, so they only opened the marina for swimming (cold) and took out the Donald. Todd and I tried it. He was mad at me for wimping out. I had them turn around early because it was hard to breathe with so much splashing. I should have just had them slow it down. Lots of others loved it.

Lunch today was "Caribbean Day". It was basically "whatever", but I enjoed the curried vegetables and turkey. Todd had mahi mahi. Cindy had a burger, and Jim had the turkey. Everyone enjoyed this and other nice dishes, along with a glass of wine.

I spent a couple of hours in the hot tub.

This morning, we watched "Flight" while Jim and Cindy watched "Skyfall". Now we are watching "Hitchcock" and getting ready for trivia.

At 6 pm, the boutique has a champagne reception and sale.

The entertainment staff are very versatile. The same people that do the activities and singing do the marina, as well.

Well, it's off to see if we are winners or losers @ trivia. I'm ready for my popcorn and chardonnay. Life is rough on Seabourn!

BTW, for those not remembering or that didn't see, we don't like caviar. People are getting it any time they ask for it daily, so we could have it anytime. We just are not into it at all.

What I really would like to put in an order for is pan seared fois gras. They have had this and that with fois gras but not just the pan seared large pieces like Silversea and Regent do.

More later.

What I really would like to put in an order for is pan seared fois gras. They have had this and that with fois gras but not just the pan seared large pieces like Silversea and Regent do.

Ask for it. 24 hour notice at the MDR.

Well we won trivia again and so on, but the scores are accumulative. I love trivia, and it is all for fun, but I do feel deflated when I give an answer to my team and indicate I am 100% right as Todd and I were there and the captain does her own answer anyway. Always when we get questions about the handover of Hong Kong, we have the right info, and no team takes it. He took the closest answer, and that was ours, but we would have had double points if they took our answer. I remember everyone, including us wearing the t-shirts with "1997 take-away" on them. Anyway, we haven't won anything else, so it would be great to win. We are ahead, there is one night left (not tonight). Todd was the lone man last night on our team.

The hot tub here on 5 wasn't my favorite. There was too much wind and poor service there and on deck 7 yesterday, though up on 8 they had great service.

That's OK. My clothes don't feel as tight today!

Just a mention on the wines - we have stuck mostly with chardonnay. The first night, on the main course, I did try the red, though I did not noted. It was one of the best I have tasted.

These wines we are having have been grocery/liquor store price of $9 to $10, which means close to $40 at a US restaurant, perhaps. However, if you grocery shop or order wine off a list in the Caribbean, you know that these rates will be higher. Now, if you want to sit there and say, wow, this is so much cheaper at home, you could stay at home...but...would you meet interesting people and stay interesting places and try a few foods you might not have or have some favorites you might never prepare yourself? Last night at "2", we had the Chablis the sommelier offered, and it was twich the price and good but not as much to our liking as the Louis Latour that is now arriving two bottles a day in our suite.

This morning, we are going to try room service while Jim and Cindy do the one hour tour. We did that tour with Silversea before, except we did it on ATVs. That was fun.

I know I have made a few spelling and maybe grammar errors in my posts, but it is so slow, I hope everyone will forgive me for not correcting them. If it takes 10 minutes to fix one error, I hope you understand.

Today, there is no trivia, so I signed up for the galley tour. I am looking forward to that.

I am going to try the Molton Brown pure pampering bath today. An suggestions from the list?

Movies today are 'Liberal Arts', 'Life of Pi', and 'Chasing Mavericks'.

We got invited to a hosted table tonight, so we will be joining others.

They also have flambé on deck tonight and then the rock the boat party and later would be karaoke. I wish I could have made it up for liars club last night, but I went to bed.

Todd and I tried black jack and the 25 cent slot machine last night. That was a quick 160 dollars down the drain. We probably will do one last round and try our hand at roulette.

The boutique champagne party was well-attended. Marta was very busy. There weren't any sales except that same small 75% off sale. She will have a sale at the end of the cruise, and she said it is items not currently on display.

The guest list shows 150 guests onboard. It shows 4 from Austrailia, 11 from Belgium, 2 from Brazil, 4 from Canada, 1 from German, 2 from Denmark, 12 from the UK, 3 from Italy, and 111 from the US. I saw that 2 from the US are from St. Thomas.

Last night was the French Bistro night. Most guests dined outside (about 20). Our 4 and another couple dined inside. They finished before we did, so we had the full attention of the great chef.

Starter choice was escargot or mousseline of foie gras. I am the only one that had that course. The mousseline was large and very rich. I could only eat half of it.

For the soup or salad course, all but me had the lobster bisque served with a litllte shellfish crisp. The chef saw us sharing and cutting those and brought out another plate of them. Yum. I had the salad without goat cheese.

For the main, 3 of us had the striped bass, while Cindy had the lamb chops. The bass was wonderful not all buttery or salty, and it was served with a crispy skin. The rest of them had the warm chocolate ganache cake with brandy vanilla ice cream.

Archived