Silver Spirit Spring Crossing April 3-April 16th (Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon)

WesW

Indian food is very popular with Seabourn guests.

I order a curry lunch sometimes and there is usually an indian themed dinner in the colonnade on the larger ships.

If anyone is coming to London I have some wonderful restaurant recommendations.

Mr. Luxury, may I take you up on your offer for recommendations for Indian restaurants in London. My husband and I will be there in June, prior to joining a Silversea cruise. We will be staying on Jermyn Street, in Mayfair. Do you have any suggestions around there? We both love Indian food. The first time I had it was actually in London, in the Covent Garden area, many years ago. Thanks for your help!

Tonight's Indian dinner with bsrkent/Steve and Barb, Ida had was simply outstanding. Let let the pix tell the story...more tomorrow..am dead tired (plus we move clocksand I ahead an hour) now; we had the Dom as an aperitif, then a wonderful belgian beer (leffe blonde) paired with currey's our (lamb and chicken) rice and naan bread.

ind004_zps9510ba21.jpg

ind005_zps7d173622.jpg

ind006_zpse981abca.jpg

Group pix with our Indian Chef Godfrey:

ind008_zpscf71228c.jpg

All of us enjoying white choc grappa after desert:

ind010_zps4bd64c3d.jpg

The "high C's" opera show last night was really good. And I am not much of an opera fan at all, despite the efforts of one of my college roommates who was an opera major. A complement from me regarding opera is high praise.

Seas are better today as Wes said, but still with movement, just not so bad. People are out and about and not looking pale green. I tried walking outside, but chickened out as it is very windy. I was really afraid of getting blown over coming around the corner. Weather is still pretty much consistently overcast. An occasional peek of sun, but nothing much. Too cool to be comfortable out on deck and pool is closed.

So we went to Portuguese class instead, then to the gym to use elliptical. They have turned down the temp in there some, so it is easier to exercise.

There was a wine tasting at 10:30, but that's a little early for me.

Have succeeded in drenching myself twice today so far with the crazy bathroom sink. If some designer installed that in my house, they would be back taking it out. On the other hand, the shower is really nice. I would rather just take a shower in the shower stall rather than getting one every time I try to wash my hands in the sink.

Pizza and salad for lunch in la terraza. One pizza is about right for George and me to split if we have salad too. The margharita pizza is simple but very tasty.

After lunch massage appointment. Plus some time in the sauna. The Thai poultice massage is pricey, but amazing and a great way to spend OBC.

Our trivia team is really coming together, and we won today, missing only one question--what spice did the Visigoths demand as ransom when they overran Rome? Steve tells me that yesterday, I should have just said we won at trivia rather than we tied for a win. A win is a win.

Tonight had dinner with Beryl and Stuart, the UK members of our trivia team. Also Halida, the pianist from Russia, as George noticed she was dining alone and invited her over. Wonderful time had by all. Good food and great company then off to the show which was lovely as well. A solo performance by Gabriel who is one of the performers onboard. He did outstanding.

Good evening Wes and Ida,

Thanks for sharing your voyage with us. I love white chocolate grappa.

All of us on CC are totally enjoying your transatlantic.

Keep those pics coming and most of all.....enjoy the rest of your trip.

Please say hello to Paolo from Scott, Jay and Mom (from Canada). He's such a nice guy.

Where are we eating tomorrow night? La Champagne?

Please have a white chocolate grappa for me.

Cheers,

ScottToronto

I tried walking outside, but chickened out as it is very windy. I was really afraid of getting blown over coming around the corner...

Pizza and salad for lunch in la terraza. One pizza is about right for George and me to split if we have salad too.

I see the root cause of the problem. Have one pizza each for lunch, and pretty soon you won't have to worry about being blown overboard! ;)

Glad you are all having such a good time.

The "high C's" opera show last night was really good. And I am not much of an opera fan at all, despite the efforts of one of my college roommates who was an opera major. A complement from me regarding opera is high praise.
That's lovely to hear about the opera show. I'm a music lover at heart, yet have always, and I mean always, struggled to enjoy opera. I don't know why, but I just don't connect with it.

After lunch massage appointment. Plus some time in the sauna. The Thai poultice massage is pricey, but amazing and a great way to spend OBC.

Also, thanks for the heads-up on the Thai poultice massage. I'm always encouraging my wife to go enjoy herself, so now I think I'll just book one of these Thai massages for her as a surprise.
Our trivia team is really coming together, and we won today, missing only one question--what spice did the Visigoths demand as ransom when they overran Rome? .
And finally, CONGRATULATIONS on your victory today! Well done.

Mr. Luxury, may I take you up on your offer for recommendations for Indian restaurants in London. My husband and I will be there in June, prior to joining a Silversea cruise. We will be staying on Jermyn Street, in Mayfair. Do you have any suggestions around there? We both love Indian food. The first time I had it was actually in London, in the Covent Garden area, many years ago. Thanks for your help!

Sweetpea,you will be very near to some really good Indian restaurants.

http://www.benaresrestaurant.com Favourite, Chef Atul has two michelin stars (Walking distance)

http://www.amaya.biz Book early for this superb indian Grill (ten minute cab ride)

http://www.tamarindrestaurant.com Very smart restuarant in Mayfair

http://www.redfort.co.uk Well established food in Soho

Although we have only just got back from an Atlantic crossing, your posts, Rachel & Wes really make me want to be there. Sleeping on land rather than having the movement of a ship certainly isn't the same.

Great pictures, too, Wes.

Another wonderful sea day (sun is shining) here on board the Silversea Spirit.

Seas are milder but still somewhat choppy, pool is now going on three days of closure—am hopeful the pool will open later today.

NewLondon, Wellseasoned, Mr. Luxury, ScottToronto, Jpalbny,Deliliah21, OrpingtonT; thanks for your well wishes and for contributing to our thread’s crossing conversation.

Bill: please do not give Ida any more shoe ideas, one of our four pieces of luggage contains her 36 pairs of shoes

Dieter, tonight we’ll share a toast with Mrya, in Debbie and your honor.

Scott, absolutely will give Paolo y’alls regards, thanks

Delillah21; agree with Rachel Nico has not been a problem, his pool (12 ft by 6ft by 2ft) was taken down three days ago, but believe that had more to do with the weather than anything else. We have eaten next to their permanent table in La Terraza twice (yesterday at lunch—he was asleep in his stroller) and for dinner Monday night (he only screamed a couple of times in very short duration) He was taken on a walk by Donato the Maitre’d while his parents dined with the Ship’s Captain—only second time we’ve seen Captain Ponitilllo this voyage (first being when he gave his remarks at the Captain’s welcome in the main bar). I waited 5-10 minutes Monday morning while his father had Nico walking atop guest services table back and forth while Guest service personnel cooed & played with Nico who was on the table top barefooted before I conducted some lost & found business. Asked Marina (officer in charge of guest services) to ensure this does not happen again for sanitation reasons.

Tom & Barbara, this crossing is most enjoyable, super crew, outstanding/friendly Pax, delish dining--only that one evening out of Hamilton of rough seas.

Congrat’s to our CC writer trivia team for their repeat win yesterday, hoping for a three peat today!

Yesterday the head sommelier Cosmin Rusu held a wine tasting in late a.m in MDR. Pls see pix below, Four complimentary vintages were sampled: Heidseick Monopole Champagne (Blue top), Canicitti Grillo Fileno, Sicily Italy 2011, Tenua Sant’ Antonio Sponsa Veronese, Veneto, Italy 2010 and Suoi Moscati D’ Asti.

ind002_zps22b83a90.jpg

Today’s highlight’s include enrichment lectures; Jackie Gleason, Port talk on Horta, cocktail tasting with Mrya (bar mgr) after noon, Amb Peck’s lecture on Peck’s Postulates. The classical pianist Halida is performing again tonight and Angela Carter is in Stars (someone asked this ? earlier)

As Dieter mentioned above we invited Mrya to have dinner with us in the MDR tonight and we will have George & Rachel join us. We plan to order the Beef Tournedos wrapped in Prosciutto, will likely pair this with another bottle of Shafer’s Relentless (mouthwatering syrah).

Silversea Crew Profile:

Today, let’s meet Raquel our suite stewardess and Emie, the Spirit Air Conditioning pro.

emieraq003_zpsb89cf70c.jpg

Raquel has been with Silversea for nearly 3 years. She has a beautiful daughter back home in the Philippines. Her most favorite thing about working on board the Spirit is going to many different places, and meeting a variety of friendly guests/people.

Emie has been with Silversea for over 10 years and has worked on the Shadow, Whisper and now the Spirit.

emieraq002_zps0f987a6a.jpg

Emie, enjoys working on board all three ships, but since the hardware (A/C system is the same) what he enjoys most is working with his fellow Silversea crew members. He hails from the Philippines, is married and has two sons. What he likes most about working on board is the atmosphere, he likes his boss, and being able to see the World for free.

Well, Wes and Rachel, I have just spent some time reading the whole thread and have enjoyed it immensely! We were on the Whisper and Cloud most of lately and I am just catching up. Thanx for sharing the fun and wine. I am lovin' the crew profiles. They are amazing people. Keep up the good work!

Many thanks to Wes & Ida (plus all of CC folks like Craig & Wil and Emdee who contributed great ideas) for our great Indian experience last night... too bad we lost EnglishUSA to the results of our previous night’s dinner.

The crew onboard (one of the three most important elements of any cruise... along with the hardware and the fellow pax) has been truly outstanding. This is still a great product and the sea days are the best.

Also thanks to Rachel and Wes for the running travel log, making for even better memories. We'll post a few pix upon our return to our home equipment.

All the best

Congratulations to Ida, 36 pairs of shoes is most impressive!! A girl has to have a choice! Am curious to know how full the ship is and the mix of pax nationality- wise. We are doing the Barbados-Lisbon crossing on Cloud in a couple of weeks and your posts have been brilliant and really whet our appetite for our own trip.

Glad to hear the weather is improving. The moving of the clock ahead an hour always seems to knock a little wind out of the sails. Having crossed both ways we definitely prefer moving the clock back an hour. Of course, we now live in Arizona, which is one of the few places in the world where the clock neither moves forward nor backward. Let me tell you, that really takes getting used to! Continue the great commentary. When we see Wes and Ida on the westbound crossing in November, will have to introduce us to all these chocolate flavored grappas (haven't had one). I'm guessing the flavors of chocolate and licorice tastes better than it sounds! Jeff

Keep the postings coming really enjoying them.

I am sitting in my office eating my lunch and reading your posts, a very tasty home made hot roast beef sandwich but salivating at all the goodies you are having.

Dom is like the little black dress that most women have ... its good for everything!

Brskent: Steve and Barb lets have an indian meal on our cruise together next year. The PG chef made us an excellent Hyderabadi biryani this february.

Wes, it looks like you and Ida are having a wonderful time on this crossing.

We may join you on one in the future!

Mr. Luxury/John, Threechicks/Elsie, DuctTape, bsrkent, Delilah21, Greygypsy, Emdee, Newlondon; thanks again for you very kind words.

John; the wine tasting had no cost, would have preferred to pay small fee (e.g.,$150) to have tasted half dozen of the top shelf connoisseur wines.

DuctTape, Thank you hope y’all enjoyed your Cloud Puerto Rico sailing. Also, love doing the crew profiles--they beam and love that we also post the profiles on Facebook so their family/friends can enjoy. Tomorrow's we'll showcase the Spirit's purser/senior account, Paula is from Croatia--she loved us breaking up her daily routine and getting her out of her office.

Steve/Barb, as you know we all make a good CC team (Trivia, this thread) your welcome—3Peat!

Delilah21—we are shy of 400 pax on board or about 75% full meaning you can make specialty restaurant ressies any time—relaxing for the pax, and relaxing less stress for the crew, tho less revenue for SS. Will talk with Hotel Director about ship mix.

Jeff/Susan; we also prefer crossing West and having 25 hour days. However, Marcelo has now put a coffee set up in the main bar between 4:30 a.m and before 6a.m—grab a cup of joe before early morning Work out. Absolutely, we will have Dark and White Choc grappa maybe both :)

Emdee, please do join us on a crossing—believe you have a cruise already booked this fall, but Barb & Steve, Ida , I, Englishusa/David are on the Spirit fall crossing with Greygypsey above—join us if you can.

Myra (bar mgr) today presented a cocktail tasting session that featured a White Nile Martini, Dark Chocolate Martini, Tiramisu Martini and a Chocolate Martini.

This afternoon also enjoyed Ambassador Peck’s lecture on Peck’s postulates, pls see pix below:

paula003_zps7b8d0212.jpg

Archived