DVD Connection to TV - Eclipse

cle-guy

Anyone know what type of audio out socket is on the TVs in the staterooms? We would like to watch TV using wireless headphones while our daughter sleeps, and need to know the correct adaptor for it.

In our Eclipse cabin (8107), our Samsung flat screen television had the following non-HDMI audio outputs which I took a photo of:

1. digital audio optical output

2. audio output for headphone jack

3. in the photo there appears to be a single (monaural) RCA audio output which is labeled as "Variable" (partially obscured by my HDMI cable).

14342969965_a99177a291_h.jpg

Edited by mahdnc

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the information about the Apple TV, hoping I can connect Apple TV up via a verbatim media streamer & an ipad. Tested at home and works fine. Quick question, power socket for Apple TV is this close to tv, will I need to bring a particular length of power or hdmi cable? Also my Apple TV has a UK plug so any thought?

Cruising in Celebrity Infinity in balcony room.

Thanks

Alastair

Seems like alot of various options that have worked for some. I am illiterate about this kind of stuff but will ask my son to handle it:). My (rhetorical) question is - why can't Celebrity just publish instructions for people as to how to hook up these various devices to their TV's, and also install those tv's so as to make hooking up to them easy?? I suspect very little revenue would be lost (if any) by doing this so I wonder why they do not?

Seems like alot of various options that have worked for some. I am illiterate about this kind of stuff but will ask my son to handle it:). My (rhetorical) question is - why can't Celebrity just publish instructions for people as to how to hook up these various devices to their TV's, and also install those tv's so as to make hooking up to them easy?? I suspect very little revenue would be lost (if any) by doing this so I wonder why they do not?

Without instructions, those who don't know what to do probably won't try. Given some instructions, however, you might find a lot more people tinkering with the equipment, necessitating crew spending many hours putting things back in order. Pope had it right: "A little learning is a dangerous thing..."

Apple Tv requires internet connection??!!

The Apple TV 2/3 without internet or Wifi/hard wire connection has no content. The Apple TV acts like a middle man to play the content you take with you such as a Seagate Wireless Plus or iPad.

Going back on Silhouette this coming March and I have no plan to take my Apple TV 2 with me just my iPad and Seagate Wireless Plus. I just took it with me during 2013 to prove I could do it.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Edited by FRMPEI

Hi the vibratium media share device creates a wifi network and a usb or sd card can be plugged into it. (No internet involved) I store tv & film on the sd card. I can then stream via ipad to Apple TV. All I need to be sure I can do is hook up the Apple TV to the cabin tv.

YES! YES! You can hook up your own audio equipment via the HDMI input. Am I sure? Yes! Because i just did it on Silhouette 2 weeks ago. You don't need and special "motel" remote and you don't have to worry about it being "in Hotel mode".

Here are the steps.

1) There will be two HDMI inputs on the back of the Samsung TV. The TV will be currently using the bottom one. Turn the TV off. Disconnect the Celebrity HDMI cable then plug your own Video equipment into this same HDMI input. (be sure to take a HDMI cable with you).

2) Power the TV back on and viola your device will now be working on the TV. Yes! That simple. The remote will work the TV's volume and power.

To return to the Celebrity feed. Power TV off. Disconnect your HDMI cable and replace the Celebrity HDMI cable in the lower/same HDMI input. Power TV back and you are back to normal.

I know it works because i was able to run my iPad via an Apple HDMI 30 pin connector.

I also took my Apple TV with me and hooked it up the TV and watched what I wanted from a Seagate Wireless Plus Hard Drive. The Seagate Wireless Plus Creates it own wireless network which allows the Apple TV to connect to. This also allows allows an iPad, iPhone, or Mac to mirror to your TV without any wires. My Apple TV2 is jailbroken and this allows me to watch virtually any media file type that I download on my Seagate Wireless Plus.

You must take note in order to get an Apple TV to work it must connect to an available network. Do not connect to the ships because that would cost you a fortune. You must create your own and the Seagate Wireless Plus is the answer (wireless network plus hard drive). Once your Apple TV connects it will look like it is offline because the default Apple icon will not be displaying because of no internet. Don't worry because everything else will work... even your mirroring capabilities.

Any other question just ask and I will be happy to answer. This is a question that comes up quite a bit but, very few know the answer.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

It's too bad I'm probably old enough to be your grandmother. I have never been as impressed by a post on CC as I am by this one. Even I can understand it...it's a brave new world and I vote for you to be Emperor.

ok

For us "backward folks"

I can take my laptop with a DVD and an HDMI and we can watch the dvd on the tv???

frank

That is exactly what I did in our Eclipse cabin.

14653328729_b2ba37e465_c.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On the Reflection, does anyone know if it is HDMI as well? Any USB ports for thumb drives?

We are in an S2, if that matters.

Thanks all!

Yes the TV's have both USB and HDMI connections. As had been stated earlier in this thread, the TV's by default were setup in hotel mode. Many have been successful in requesting that the ports be enabled by the ships engineering department.

One other consideration is that the remotes do not have the Source function to change between sources so you will need either a universal remote or do it manually (usually a button on bottom right corner.

when celebrity installed there tv they chose hotel mode on the tv. all you have to do is take a universal remote with you and google instruction on how to turn hotel mode off on Samsung tvs. will take a whole 30 seconds and hotel mode will be off and the hdmi ports will start working

Thank you for clarifying this. I called X to see if we could borrow or rent a DVD player on our Summit cruise in May. We were told we could not borrow one, but to feel free to bring our own portable DVD player to hook up to the TV. We were wondering how to do this, and you explained it. I will be printing out your instructions to bring with us. Thanks!

Yes the TV's have both USB and HDMI connections. As had been stated earlier in this thread, the TV's by default were setup in hotel mode. Many have been successful in requesting that the ports be enabled by the ships engineering department.

One other consideration is that the remotes do not have the Source function to change between sources so you will need either a universal remote or do it manually (usually a button on bottom right corner.

Yeah, we went on the ship already (my post was about 7 days before we cruised) and it would have been helpful to know- but thanks for responding! For anyone else coming along later: Bring a universal remote, you'll need it. And you WILL need to have someone enable the port- but without the remote it was useless to us because we couldn't switch to it anyway.

• 1 month later...

Just off Reflection. It was simple for me to get my dvd player connected and working. I have a Sony portable DVD player which only has AV outputs. I connected these to my AV to HDMI converter box. I removed the Celebrity HDMI plug on the back of the TV (which was in HDMI port 2) and plugged in my the HDMI cable from my Sony setup. Voila!

Works instantly and perfectly. To go back to ship's tv, just reinstall the Celebrity HDMI.

Just off Reflection. It was simple for me to get my dvd player connected and working. I have a Sony portable DVD player which only has AV outputs. I connected these to my AV to HDMI converter box. I removed the Celebrity HDMI plug on the back of the TV (which was in HDMI port 2) and plugged in my the HDMI cable from my Sony setup. Voila!

Works instantly and perfectly. To go back to ship's tv, just reinstall the Celebrity HDMI.

How long of an HDMI cable would you suggest so that the DVD player can reach the TV as well as an electrical socket? We will be in a veranda and we currently have 5' and 8' HDMI cables.

I'm on Reflection in 3 weeks, so that's good to read. [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How long of an HDMI cable would you suggest so that the DVD player can reach the TV as well as an electrical socket? We will be in a veranda and we currently have 5' and 8' HDMI cables.

The television and electrical outlets are located near each other at the desk where you can set your DVD player. I used a 3 foot HDMI cable to connect our Blu-ray player in our cabin (see photo in an earlier post in this thread) so you should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk