Working on a Ship

My 21 year old nephew just interviewed for a cruise line. He currently works as a club promoter by night, and a trades person by day, and is super personable and I suggested he apply to work on a ship. 3 months after he applied he got an interview.

He has never been on a cruise before, and said that the interviewer said, only pursue this job if you feel like you can live in an episode of ground hog day, every day. When I thought about it, I could see how that might be the case, but my job could classify that way as well.

Not sure if people who work on the cruise line post here, but is that true.

Crew have posted here in the past.

Any job working with the public is difficult at times. On a cruiseship, add in long hours, low pay and very cramped quarters.

At least when I've had a bad day, I can retreat to the privacy of my home and chill out; wouldn't be so on a cruiseship.

I worked on cruise ships for a couple years. Your son would be assigned to one department and not spread over several jobs. He would have to work a lot of hours with absolutely no days off for the length of his contract. Everyday he will work split shifts, in other words he will have a few hours off but they will vary from day to day. He will share his quarters with other crew and there will NOT be a lot of room or privacy. They do try to room people together that work in the same department so they know each others work hours. The food the crew eats is NOT the same food the passengers eat unless you are an officer and allowed in passenger dining rooms.

Depending on the job will tell whether he is allowed in passenger areas or interacting with passengers. Some crew never work on the above decks and never interact with crew. He will participate in several muster drills a week not just one like the passengers. These drills may be on his time off and he still must attend.

There are regulations for how much you can drink. You must never blow over a .04 or it is immediate dismissal if caught. He will have ship training for first aid, firefighting basics, crowd control and other ship saftey classes. There is also continuous training in the department that you work in. This training allows you raises and promotions.

Once a contract is over he will be tired and worn out and need a vacation.

The plus side is you can meet some great new friends from all over the world. You will see some nice places you may never have seen. You can save money unless you just want to spend at everyplace you go to and send things home. There is no space for a lot extra in your cabin.

My 21 year old nephew just interviewed for a cruise line. He currently works as a club promoter by night, and a trades person by day, and is super personable and I suggested he apply to work on a ship. 3 months after he applied he got an interview.

He has never been on a cruise before, and said that the interviewer said, only pursue this job if you feel like you can live in an episode of ground hog day, every day. When I thought about it, I could see how that might be the case, but my job could classify that way as well.

Not sure if people who work on the cruise line post here, but is that true.

Funny you should say this. Today, while arriving at work day, I said to a co-worker...don't you ever feel like we're in the movie Ground Hogs Day?

He just got a call for a 2nd interview with food and beverage services, so I guess that's where they think he will fit. The interview will be via Skype. I told him about the hours and it being a hard job. He said after the 2nd interview he will decide.

I just watched some video's today on youtube from crew perspective. And you get to see their miniscule quarters. I could see if you were young and single why it might work.... (I couldn't do it but I am old and set in my ways!)

Working on a cruise ship is NOT at all like taking a cruise! It's work, day in and out...away from home for months, in teensy quarters...sometimes sharing with strangers.

I wouldn't want to do it!

I have a good friend who has worked as an entertainer on Carnival for the last 12 years....he's single and since he's a "solo" artist, gets his own cabin...he's learned to live very minimalistically! After all those years, he's pretty much done with it...the work is long and it is very "Groundhog Day".....every day is the same.

From your description of him, I think it would be a good experience. When he has no ties, looking for new experiences, wants to try new things, he has the bonus of seeing different places. He has plenty of time to stay in one place and work a "normal" job. If he didn't like it after one contract, he wouldn't have to stay.

When I went on my first cruise in my early twenties, I thought working on a cruise ship would be an awesome job. Yes, it sounds like the hours are long, the days off few and far between, and it's not at all as glamourous as we might think it to be. But if I was young and single and up for an adventure, I think I'd try it for at least one contract (which is six months? three months?). I think after the first two or three weeks of the same ports it might get old, but at least it would give me a chance to see another part of the world. I'd really hope that I got a roommate I got along with!

OP

You mentioned that he has never been on a cruise.

Has he considered that he may get sea sick?

I do agree with everything that PEB said -- very long days -- no days off -- irregular schedules -- crew food. I would not want to work on a cruise ship in any capacity

There must be many who like the lifestyle, the work, as all the years we have sailed HAL, we over and over see many people again and again. We have friends that were working on the ships when we started sailing and are still on the ships...... though retirements are starting to occur more amongst them. :)

They love the life.

We know some who left the ships to work on land for a while, who have families, but the salt water in their veins called out to them and they returned.

It is not a lifestyle for everyone but those it suits, it's what they love.

I worked on cruise ships for a couple years. Your son would be assigned to one department and not spread over several jobs. He would have to work a lot of hours with absolutely no days off for the length of his contract. Everyday he will work split shifts, in other words he will have a few hours off but they will vary from day to day. He will share his quarters with other crew and there will NOT be a lot of room or privacy. They do try to room people together that work in the same department so they know each others work hours. The food the crew eats is NOT the same food the passengers eat unless you are an officer and allowed in passenger dining rooms.

Depending on the job will tell whether he is allowed in passenger areas or interacting with passengers. Some crew never work on the above decks and never interact with crew. He will participate in several muster drills a week not just one like the passengers. These drills may be on his time off and he still must attend.

There are regulations for how much you can drink. You must never blow over a .04 or it is immediate dismissal if caught. He will have ship training for first aid, firefighting basics, crowd control and other ship saftey classes. There is also continuous training in the department that you work in. This training allows you raises and promotions.

Once a contract is over he will be tired and worn out and need a vacation.

The plus side is you can meet some great new friends from all over the world. You will see some nice places you may never have seen. You can save money unless you just want to spend at everyplace you go to and send things home. There is no space for a lot extra in your cabin.

I don't get it. If there are absolutely no days off, then how do you go shopping?

I don't get it. If there are absolutely no days off, then how do you go shopping?

Most stewards don't often get a full day off but they get a few hours here and there. WalMart is on the favorites list as they can get most of what they want and need there. Laundry detergent, soap, toothpaste, snacks like chips and peanuts etc, music, hoodies..... very basic things. :)

There are various times when ships will sponsor an excursion for crew. It could be randomly picked who goes or as a prize for having achieved some desireable goal etc

While their time off is limited and not always planned well in advance, they do get shore time here and there.

Anyone thinking about working on a cruise ship should read "Cruise Confidential." Although I think it over-emphasizes the sexual nature, it tells a rather bleak picture. The book is told by an American who worked aboard a Carnival ship a few years ago. He claims to have been one of the few (or only) Americans who survived an entire contract on a Carnival ship. The hours were long, privacy was short and there was a lot of political in-fighting for positions. He was a waiter among other jobs. An interesting read.

Most stewards don't often get a full day off but they get a few hours here and there. WalMart is on the favorites list as they can get most of what they want and need there. Laundry detergent, soap, toothpaste, snacks like chips and peanuts etc, music, hoodies..... very basic things. :)

There are various times when ships will sponsor an excursion for crew. It could be randomly picked who goes or as a prize for having achieved some desireable goal etc

While their time off is limited and not always planned well in advance, they do get shore time here and there.

Yes indeed. Then they absolutely do have some time off.

Archived