Captain's Circle Cocktails

missalto

There are two things that you may be referring to, so I will explain both:

First, there is a Captain's Circle cocktail party held on each cruise to welcome back all the repeat customes. It used to be held on the second formal night, but as the ships have gotten bigger, it is sometimes split into multiple nights. You should get and invitation if you are eligible.

Second, the is the Platinum/Elite/Suite Cocktail hour. It held most evenings, usually in Skywalker. There are appetisers and a drink special. Most drinks are at normal price. You will get an invite if you are eligible.

I find it really puzzling that the OP had reached Elite without knowing the answer to the questions that were asked:confused:

They are from the UK - so maybe most of their cruises have been on P&O.

Second, the is the Platinum/Elite/Suite Cocktail hour. It held most evenings, usually in Skywalker. There are appetisers and a drink special. Most drinks are at normal price.

On the recent Star voyage the cocktail hour was 5PM to 7PM. You get a card in your room with the menu item for each night. The drink special was US$5.

Additionally there is normally a Captain's party in the atrium with the champagne waterfall where they serve comp. drinks.

There are appetisers and a drink special. Most drinks are at normal price.

So, what is the real deal when you have 1 choice of the drink that they have that evening? If it is the appetizers, then it still is very poor in being some special. JMHO!

I find it really puzzling that the OP had reached Elite without knowing the answer to the questions that were asked:confused:

Australian (and I assume UK) passengers aren't always offered the same privileges as US passengers. I'm elite, and yes, half of my cruises have been with P&O - but with Princess, on cruises sailing out of Australia, I have never heard of the happy hour for platinum and elite. Even on the (half) world cruise we did.

So, what is the real deal when you have 1 choice of the drink that they have that evening? If it is the appetizers, then it still is very poor in being some special. JMHO!

Attendance is not required. If you feel it is not worthwhile, stay away.

We find it is a nice place to meet up with friends. We went several times on the Grand South American cruise. There it was held in the VIsta lounge.

Attendance is not required. If you feel it is not worthwhile, stay away.

We find it is a nice place to meet up with friends. We went several times on the Grand South American cruise. There it was held in the VIsta lounge.

Thanks for your advice. I know it is not worthwhile.

Is there a CC cocktail party on every cruise? We are on a 7 nighter ex Southampton on the Crown Princess later this month and are also Elite. What can we expect and where might it be held?

The Captains welcome cocktail party is no longer what it used to be it is now sometimes amalgamated with the champagne waterfall and only champagne and mimosas are offered or if the waterfall is saved for the goodbye 'party' there will be very well watered down coloured 'cocktails' or fruit juice or sometimes a pink champagne mix (with cranberry juice) No longer is there a choice of red or white wine offered. This by the way is my own knowledge while on the last 6 cruises with Princess USA and Australia :D

I like it, but there is probably nothing on a cruise ship that everyone likes. THe great thing is we each get to do the things we want to.

Totally agree with you here. My point was that the drink of the evening is not really a special or a benny.

Totally agree with you here. My point was that the drink of the evening is not really a special or a benny.
If you buy the drink elsewhere it will cost you $7.95 so you still save a bit ;) Edited by IECalCruiser

All of the Captain's Circle benefits are good to some and not so good to others. I figure take advantage of the ones you like and pass the others.

If you buy the drink elsewhere it will cost you $7.95 so you still save a bit ;)

Personally I am cheap! I will not pay $7.95/$5.95/$3.95 for the drinks that they serve for those evenings. Especially when I get a free in cabin bar set up. Not to get into the nitty gritty, but X and RCI allow free drinks for Elite/Diamond nightly. Like others are saying, it depends on what you consider important to you as an individual.

Each cruise line has its pluses and minuses. Example - For FCC OBC on X it is based number of days of the cruise, not the category of cabin. So, that is a big factor. That is why we cruise Princess, X, RCI based on ports and not bennies.

OK - now I understand:o One of my gripes actually as I was annoyed to find that Princess do not offer the PES lounge/happy hour on Aust. based ships:(. Its a very nice, convivial way to catch up with friends at the end of the day). Most often have a different drink rather than the 'special' but it is a nice meeting place and really missed it on the Sun.

Unfortunately IMHO if Princess really want to save money they could do away with the farce of the Captain's "Cocktail Party" and the "Champagne Waterfall". These classic cruise icons have been bastardized to such a degree that we don't go to them anymore. They are a bun fight and an embarrassment. Another reason we miss the PES lounge so much. Maybe it is 'big ship' syndrome:(

Thanks everyone for your replies to my query. Have not been on Princess since 2007 and remember the champagne waterfall on Sea Princess. Earlier reply was correct - being from the UK we have mostly sailed with P&O.

Really looking forward to our first cruise as Elite!

If I may try to clarify a few points on this thread. This is just my observations:

Champagne waterfall is a photo opportunity. Notice the swarm of photographers. Yes, free champagne and non-alcoholic drinks do circulate. Usually held between traditional dinner times (but often "missed" by early diners).

Captain Cirlce Cocktails parties seem to be evolving into a sales presentation for Gold Members. The past couple of cruises, Gold Members were herded into the Princess Theater to view a video of the new Royal Princess. As they left, they were handed a voucher for a few drink (up to $7.95)

Captain Circle Parties for Elite and Platinum still have to old format. Most traveled passengers are introduce and given their gifts, the band plays, a few people dance, appetizers are available, and free drinks.

Elite and Platinum lounge: a place to gather for daily specials (food and one (1) reduced bar drink). Other bar drinks are available. Usually starts at 5 (again, poor timing for early diners).

As you can probably deduce...I am an early traditional diner. Hard to do tea, then the cocktails, and still have room for dinner. I have a difficult time trying to squeeze in a visit to the IC.

Renee

The Captain's Circle parties drinks were not very good in our opinion. We usually love the parties no matter how corny others think they are. But the wine offered and the mixed drinks were not very good at all, we tried most of them trying to find one we liked. However, my DH did win the bottle of Korbel sparkling wine in the drawings that they have so it all ended up a plus for us.

Celebrity does have better wine and drinks at their parties.

Carnival allowed us to order whatever drink we wanted at the party.

Everyline has it pluses and minues. Pick the one you like.

Princess has lower priced drinks in general. Also offers the Ultimate Soda Package at a very reasonable price.

Edited by happy cruzer

We were just on the Golden, the cocktail hour (really 2 hr.- 5 -7) was held at Skywalkers- every day, except one, when that venue had a private party. We got a invitation with a schedule in our cabin.

There was a drink of the day- or you could have a different drink (possibly one that was the drink of day from another day) - and the drinks were all $5.00.

The hor d'oeuves were not fancy or served with lots of imagination, mostly it was fresh veggies, some sliced meats, cheese (some very good)- crackers, and cocktail bread. Every night was a "feature" i.e. cocktail shrimp, blue cheese, cold-smoked salmon, Mexican- chips, salsa guacamole, etc. don't remember them all. Having said that, they were great for a little snacking with a drink & conversation prior to dinner.

The servers were very good, and friendly. We enjoyed a nice quiet drink with friends and normally saw about the same folks there, so visited with them. The views would have been better if the windows had been cleaned anytime in the two weeks- but on the whole had a very positive experience.

We would definitely go again, and check it out. Would never discount it out of hand since all ships crew and venues are different.

On another thread regarding the Elite/Platinum cocktail party, one poster posted the "menu" for the week on their cruise. For me anyway it will give me an opportunity to try different drinks that I normally wouldn't try. So I'll be looking forward to it; of course I may not go back if it doesn't "strike my fancy".

Edited by Treven