"Never again in the Haven"

Nalagh

Even our local "Y" has rules posted by the pool stating, "NO RUNNING ON POOL DECK, AND NO HORSEPLAY.' These rules are enforced by the staff.

NCL should post pool signs stating that parents are responsible for the behavior of their children, or they will be asked to leave the area.

Just because these people pay dearly for the haven, doesn't mean that they can abuse the privilege. Everyone else pays as well, and should be able to enjoy themselves.

I have an idea about the chairhogs in the haven. NCL should provide a row of cubbies by the pool for peoples belongings. That way their would be no excuse for piling them on the loungers.

Buy a spa pass on your next cruise. Much cheaper than $20k and no kids allowed. We have never had a bad spa experience. Something to consider.

I second that. I/we cruise when kids aren't usually in school, I will buy spa passes and we try to dine when most kids are in bed or at least have finished eating. On mass lines it takes some maneuvering, but you can avoid rambunctious ones with a little creativity.

I only read page 1 and 5&6, but that was enough for me. I've also read about unruly kids in the Haven on other threads. Although we've been in a suite on NCL, we've never booked the Haven. Always wanted to though. Guess we didn't miss much and we'll save some money in the future.

Thanks for the post OP!:)

There should be a posted haven policy:

The haven is reserved for guests to enjoy a relaxing tranquil environment. If a more active experience is desired guests should use the family pools on deck whatever.

No Thanks, Don't send the brats down there. I use the regular pool, because I don't have haven privileges.

I've personally been intimidated (think big guys - gym-ripped types getting in my face). That was the one I speed dialed the butler and concierge the second I got back to the suite. While shaking.

Another time it was just sheer "numbers" (like 8 against 2 - one of whom is disabled). Not great - so it was another form of intimidation tactic.

It's just disgusting. And, trust me, "trailer trash" doesn't exclude "doctors, captains of industry or other successful people". I see it every single day. So-called "high society" with absolutely no class (since money cannot buy class). ;)

Yeah...I understand. I know money can't buy class....and "you can take the man out of the trailer but you can't take the trailer out of the man".....

I guess it's just that all 5'1" of me...64 years old...white/middle class...is used to taking the subway in the Bronx (not a good area)....without feeling threatened. (And people think I'm crazy to do this.)

However the thought of spending $20,000 and then having to put up with "brats of all ages" would bring out "the fighter" in me. :)

Even our local "Y" has rules posted by the pool stating, "NO RUNNING ON POOL DECK, AND NO HORSEPLAY.' These rules are enforced by the staff.

NCL should post pool signs stating that parents are responsible for the behavior of their children, or they will be asked to leave the area.

Just because these people pay dearly for the haven, doesn't mean that they can abuse the privilege. Everyone else pays as well, and should be able to enjoy themselves.

I have an idea about the chairhogs in the haven. NCL should provide a row of cubbies by the pool for peoples belongings. That way their would be no excuse for piling them on the loungers.

Great idea...but off topic. You should start a thread about this; maybe NCL will read it.

My takeaway from this is that if there are unruly children/parents at the Haven pool, it is advisable to speak with the concierge and ask for security to monitor the area. Is that about it? Personally I'm not all that worried about the Haven pool area since neither hubby nor I can lay out...our meds and direct sunlight do not go well together. For the short time that we can sit out, Posh has been our plan all along...no pool, but an over 21 population, nice loungers and a bar, and that's ALL I need! LOL (Think: the old Steve Martin movie, The Jerk)

But I haveta wonder how much those parents were interested in their children's comfort and experience. With the kids club, the water slides, Nickelodeon and everything else that's available to kids, why would they keep them cooped up in the Haven area?! Haven offers NOTHING geared for children, nothing at all. While the poor OPs experience was screwed, and that is the central issue here, those kids had the chance of a lifetime blown for them by no fault of their own. Sad allllll around!

On the Jewel ships there is no stateroom more than a few feet away from the Haven itself. They are on either side of it just across the corridor so no need for anywhere to store anything other than back in the stateroom. Our experience in the Haven was superb because the only family with young children were model parents. I think if I was bothered by feral kids in future Haven trips there would be trouble and they and their keepers might end up swimming a lot more than than a few feet along the pool.;)

Rules of behavior expected in certain areas of a ship, hotel, amusement park, airplane, beach, etc -should always be enforced.

No matter where you go, there are signs. Any hotel will have signs posted by their pool area what type of behavior is unacceptable & even a beach that contains lifeguards have rules you either obey or are asked to leave.

Nothing is preventing NCL from posting Haven rules in the Suites themselves, in the Haven area & should probably be included on their website & in a pamphlet before you book.

Families & children should of course be allowed to use the Haven, as long as the rules are followed.

Perhaps when arriving, along with the health form, if you are a Haven guest, you should be given a written printout of the rules which you must sign.

The Haven experience is not inexpensive and therefore everyone who pays for this upgrade should be allowed to experience all it offers. This can only be accomplished if the rules are understood & followed by everyone, then enforced by the staff. No telling the staff 'but we paid a lot of money for this' & continue to disrupt the area. If you signed the rule sheet upon arrival, then you knew the rules before stepping onto the ship.

I've had 2 bad Haven experiences & won't book one again.

I also agree with another CC member that a letter should be sent to NCL Corporate explaining why you won't book another Haven Suite or have decided to go on a different line.

NCL can't change anything unless they are aware of it.

The Haven has provided us with some fantastic retreats on prior cruises. I would still book the Haven in a heartbeat regardless of our last 2 cruises. The problem is my husband does not want to. He did not express his discontent with the Haven while we were on the cruise as he did not want me to stress about it or convert to full witch mode. He knew I would have marched directly to the HD's office. I had done so on the Epic and my efforts were futile.

I am drafting a letter to NCL, asking for a clarification of the Haven model. If the Haven model is to provide a tranquil retreat, I will request measures are put in place to ensure a consistent product fleet wide. If the trend is moving towards the family based haven then NCL should promote the Haven as such, not a tranquil paradise. Ship staff need to have a protocol in place to address these issues in and out of the Haven areas.

Outside the Haven area, we had a truly wonderful cruise. I have started a long review and hope to highlight some of the other Haven points we absolutely enjoyed.

Cherie

The Haven has provided us with some fantastic retreats on prior cruises. I would still book the Haven in a heartbeat regardless of our last 2 cruises. The problem is my husband does not want to. He did not express his discontent with the Haven while we were on the cruise as he did not want me to stress about it or convert to full witch mode. He knew I would have marched directly to the HD's office. I had done so on the Epic and my efforts were futile.

I am drafting a letter to NCL, asking for a clarification of the Haven model. If the Haven model is to provide a tranquil retreat, I will request measures are put in place to ensure a consistent product fleet wide. If the trend is moving towards the family based haven then NCL should promote the Haven as such, not a tranquil paradise. Ship staff need to have a protocol in place to address these issues in and out of the Haven areas.

Outside the Haven area, we had a truly wonderful cruise. I have started a long review and hope to highlight some of the other Haven points we absolutely enjoyed.

Cherie

It is too bad you had to endure the unruly kid's/ parent's

Good for you, hopefully others will send a letter to NCL, they should address this issue, and there should be rules in place,or put in place.

As well as Wall Street types and trust fund morons and snooty parents and dopey kids. So glad I live in a nice simple home in a quiet neighborhood and creatively make ends meet. What is described in this thread is just a result of all the propaganda so many have bought into over the years. You know the everything goes and everyone has a right to do what they want propaganda and to heck with the societal norms that worked for so many centuries

I am picturing captains of industry. Street industry. Cash businesses. And lots of gold on them

LOL...and "The Jersey Shore" crowd.

This has been a very informative thread. No longer will I wonder about "the elegance" that I'm missing by "sailing steerage". :)

NCL is going to get a reputation if they don't "fix the problem".

LOL...and "The Jersey Shore" crowd.

This has been a very informative thread. No longer will I wonder about "the elegance" that I'm missing by "sailing steerage". :)

NCL is going to get a reputation if they don't "fix the problem".

actually I was thinking in terms of drug kingpins and those types.

maybe even from the gang populations that hail from places not thought to produce gangs in the past, but causing lots of problems nowadays......you know what I am saying, I just don't want to say it.

Lots of money there and I bet they go to a local neighborhood TA and pay for the Haven in cash...it's not like they can put it on a credit card and earn points.

based on the horror stories on this thread, I do not believe we are talking about spoiled rich people, I actually believe we are talking about criminal types flush with cash. Who else acts this way and says what they do to other pax?

Archived