"Never again in the Haven"

Nalagh

While I think claiming false advertising is way off the mark, I WOULD like to see NCL at least adopt a code of behavior for the public haven areas. The very name "haven" implies that it should be a respite from the real world. Sure, children should be welcome there, but it calls for a case of good old fashioned "seen and not heard" in my opinion. A code of conduct would give NCL some recourse against unruly behavior.

I agree with this. We've been in Epic's Haven twice and had two very different experiences in terms of the behavior of the other cruisers, although nothing as bad as what is cited on this thread. Establishing expectations gives the crew something to enforce for those who get out of hand, whether adults or children. We travel with DS 10, who is generally a well-behaved and considerate kid, but every now and then he's not. :p I LOVE having other families with kids around, but also think that good rules make it possible for everyone to have a great time! Good fences make good neighbors, so to speak...

The policy needs to come from the top. I am not suggesting an overall children's ban, but maybe the concept of limiting children's hours as a compromise could be explored. We pay a serious premium for haven use, and for most on this cruise, it was wasted money.

I hopes NCL explores this issue and finds a compromise that will ensure the integrity of the Haven, while satisfying the Haven families.

Cherie

As a person with a family who also pays a 'serious premium' I would not find limiting children's hours an acceptable 'compromise'. I wouldn't let my kids ruin others' good cruises though!

Maybe you could consider one of the higher tier cruise lines that really price families out of their market. They are much less kid friendly and much more quiet. And not that much (if any) more than NCL Haven prices for just two adults. This was a great option for us when we didn't have kids with us and wanted some real quiet time. They market to just what you're talking about and do it well.

We were a family of 7 on this cruise and we chose the Gem because of the haven. We would have paid considerably less money for a ship without a haven for the same cabin category. I wanted the haven, and I wanted my husband and in-laws to fully enjoy the Gem haven as we did 2 years ago.

This past January we sailed on the Epic and the haven was full of children running, slashing, spitting water and screaming to each-other from the hot-tub. I spent lots of time at posh. Last week on the Gem the behavior was even worse, and posh was not an option as Jewel class ships are poshless.

I feel that there should be a concrete standard of decorum in the Haven with policies to ensure compliance. If you do not behave in the kids club, you get kicked out. Why can this not be the case in the haven? I am sorry, but having all other cabins subjected to diminished use for where it is claimed to be a "tranquil" area because of the actions of a few, is just not fair.

To answer, "What I would like NCL to do"

Create clear haven rules

Establish a protocol for infractions

Clearly Define the Haven model and advertise accordingly

Implement Adult only hours at varying times throughout any cruise.

For those of you who think that I suggested the banning of children, please re-read my post.

I love NCL and the NCL suite life. That being said, I am still a consumer purchasing a vacation product. I expect a lot for my vacation money as I pay dearly for my NCL vacations. The product provided should not vary as the passengers do.

Cherie

Part of the problem is that there is only so much the butlers/concierge can do if it gets out of hand in the Haven. Even the HD is only going to get involved to some point unless the behavior is likely to cause injury.

We had the experience of an extended family that had 6 of the suites - they told me to "get out of the pool - our kids want to use it and there is no way we will let them in with a stranger in it":eek:. Since the kids were starting to splash water on my DH (who uses an oxygen concentrator), I'd had enough and we left. Had DH not been there, I probably would have stood my ground (or water as the case may be).

Management, unfortunately, tried to control the group (they managed to turn on the speaker/stereo system, change the music, etc., etc.); but really they weren't going to win since they were outnumbered. I felt bad for the staff, they were constantly having to chase after that group to keep the mess and ruckus down to a dull roar.

We still book Haven suites and will continue to do so and hope that maybe we'll have a better experience. If not, I'll have to be happy on the balcony.

I would have said 1 sec, I have to pee, waited 20-30 seconds let out a sigh, then said, its all urine

:)

That's AWESOME! :eek: :D

I really wish I would have thought of that!!

(And, thanks for the laugh! I needed it!!)

Your VERY welcome, I just can't believe the nerve of people. I would have done it just to annoy them and then I would have grabbed the nearest beach chair and gotten on my cell phone to tell my friends all about the rude people I just met.

I agree completely with OP that strict and enforced rules of behaviour are needed.

That having been said, good lord, now we are talking about false advertising on the interpretation of an adjective. Why do so many people seem to need to make every issue litigious? NCL has a problem if it can not control disorderly children. Enough said.

Cherie, I'm sorry about your Haven experience, I know how much you were looking forward to it! I completely understand your point - I have had some less than perfect Haven experiences because of unruly children (and adults!) but nothing as bad as this.. Unfortunately, the Haven is not place conducive to both quiet and family time.. The sound echoes terribly, there is no place to avoid the "splashing", and some families seem to use it as their personal space, disregarding anyone else trying to enjoy it. It just wasn't physically built to handle the noise. For these reasons, we simply don't use the Haven much, and that's a shame..

FWIW, I learned a few years ago on the Jewel that the "hot tub" rules sign actually stated "no children under ?age?" - I think it was age 16 or thereabouts. Next time I am unable to use the hot tubs because they are constantly full of children, I might actually ask NCL to enforce that rule if the sign still states so.. I have sailed several full weeks without ever being able to use the facility, both pool and hot tubs full of children at all hours, behaving like kids, which is fine for a short period or when the family is alone in the space, but not all day and night every day and even worse when no parents are nearby or don't care how their children are disturbing others. I also have children (who are in their early twenties now) and even they were annoyed by some of the behavior they have seen over the years. When my daughters were younger, they understood that the Haven was pretty much for adults, and they used the main pools when under 17 or 18 (as did most other families in the "early" Haven days). Things have changed since then. What a shame..

Robin

We had the experience of an extended family that had 6 of the suites - they told me to "get out of the pool - our kids want to use it and there is no way we will let them in with a stranger in it":eek:..

I can't even FATHOM someone saying that to me. Good grief. I would have made it my mission to 1) stay in that pool as long as possible, and 2) find any way possible to interfere with their cruise. Causing them grief would have been my hobby for a week. lol

I can't even FATHOM someone saying that to me. Good grief. I would have made it my mission to 1) stay in that pool as long as possible, and 2) find any way possible to interfere with their cruise. Causing them grief would have been my hobby for a week. lol

The worst was them laughing when their little darlings were intentionally splashing (and it was *way* more than splashing - taking handfuls of water and flinging) towards my DH and his very expensive oxygen concentrator to "make the old man leave" (which, btw, my DH is no where near old - just, unfortunately, a bad turn of health).

Since it was distressing to both of us, it was easier to just leave.

But, I was pretty steamed the entire cruise about it.

And, yes, the staff did (desperately) try to get things under control. But, they were really outnumbered and I truly felt sorry for them as well.

Like I've said before, we get a kick out of seeing kids having fun (and, yes, splashing around is always going to happen - and, I've been in the pool and it's fine and no, DH stays AWAY from water at all times). We just want to be able to use the facilities just like everyone else.

I guess when some families book multiple cabins sometimes they feel that they then have more of a right to the space then the rest of us. Sad really....

This thread is making me want to change to a Deluxe Owners Suite and forget about the hot tub in the Haven!! Heck, at least I'd get some alcohol with that suite and a very private deck!! And I wouldn't have to worry about anyone telling me to get out of the hot tub!!!!;)

I've already had a long discussion with my two girls (8 & 10) about acting like ladies in the Haven! They only want their own room which is why I booked the two bedroom Haven.....

Might be time to give my TA a call!!:eek:

I'm sorry you had a problem on your cruise. It is awful when you spend so much money on something and it gets ruined by inconsiderate people.

The issue should not be how to we keep kids out of the haven but to put rules in place that these incidents would not happen. I also believe that the punishment should be for the adults in the group, not the children. The children learn their manners from their parents and if they have none then I'm sure their parents do not either. We have been on numerous cruises and have seen more infuriating and disgusting things from adults then we ever did children. The families that are misbehaving would be misbehaving with children or without.

We will be sailing the Breakaway in the Haven in a few months. Our daughter knows how to act in public and is very respectful but if there was an instance where she wasn't I would want to be notified of it, take full responsibility and correct the situation.

This is about bad parenting ! some people just don't have any requirements in respect to behavior for there children . My family will be staying in athe haven in September my kids know the rules and I expect them to behave correctly for each setting kids club water slides have crazy fun :D haven pool area relax with your parents it's as simple as that:)

I also believe that the punishment should be for the adults in the group, not the children.

The punishment should be for both the adults and the children, otherwise the children will never learn that there are consequences for their behavior.

I would have dropped a candy bar in it.

You may want to consider cruising at times of year when large numbers of children are unlikely to be sailing. I have sailed on the Epic and the Jewel when there were hardly eny children at all in the Haven.

AGREED. This is exactly why we are cruising first part of May next year.. after Spring break and before Summer vacation = few if any kids. My kid is grown now - but even when he was little he towed the line. So yeah, other people's bratty kids DO bother me.. as much as I like Disney, I am prohibited from going because of my lack of desire to be around hundreds/thousands of kids :( I don't hate children, I just have become intolerant to badly behaved ones and they seem to be, sadly, the majority these days.

Cherie, I'm sorry about your Haven experience, I know how much you were looking forward to it! I completely understand your point - I have had some less than perfect Haven experiences because of unruly children (and adults!) but nothing as bad as this.. Unfortunately, the Haven is not place conducive to both quiet and family time.. The sound echoes terribly, there is no place to avoid the "splashing", and some families seem to use it as their personal space, disregarding anyone else trying to enjoy it. It just wasn't physically built to handle the noise. For these reasons, we simply don't use the Haven much, and that's a shame..

FWIW, I learned a few years ago on the Jewel that the "hot tub" rules sign actually stated "no children under ?age?" - I think it was age 16 or thereabouts. Next time I am unable to use the hot tubs because they are constantly full of children, I might actually ask NCL to enforce that rule if the sign still states so.. I have sailed several full weeks without ever being able to use the facility, both pool and hot tubs full of children at all hours, behaving like kids, which is fine for a short period or when the family is alone in the space, but not all day and night every day and even worse when no parents are nearby or don't care how their children are disturbing others. I also have children (who are in their early twenties now) and even they were annoyed by some of the behavior they have seen over the years. When my daughters were younger, they understood that the Haven was pretty much for adults, and they used the main pools when under 17 or 18 (as did most other families in the "early" Haven days). Things have changed since then. What a shame..

Robin

Robin, everything you said about the GV rang true! Absolute impeccable service!! We had Kadec for our Butler, who I had truly hoped for. Then I found out Gigi, my favorite cabin steward ever had been re-assigned from 14000 to 14500 because Kadec knew she was our favorite!

Sadly, we had lots of bad weather that rendered the deck area unusable, but the outside dining are was always game!

It was our first GV, but not our last. I doubt the next one will be on a Jewel Class ship though. DH is still really angry.

Cherie

This is about bad parenting ! some people just don't have any requirements in respect to behavior for there children . My family will be staying in athe haven in September my kids know the rules and I expect them to behave correctly for each setting kids club water slides have crazy fun :D haven pool area relax with your parents it's as simple as that:)

I could not agree more! I had the exact conversation with my 3 children prior to sailing. Sadly, not all parents do. That is why I feel it is imperative NCL set some policies to ensure the haven remains the haven.

Cherie

I'm sorry you had a problem on your cruise. It is awful when you spend so much money on something and it gets ruined by inconsiderate people.

The issue should not be how to we keep kids out of the haven but to put rules in place that these incidents would not happen. I also believe that the punishment should be for the adults in the group, not the children. The children learn their manners from their parents and if they have none then I'm sure their parents do not either. We have been on numerous cruises and have seen more infuriating and disgusting things from adults then we ever did children. The families that are misbehaving would be misbehaving with children or without.

We will be sailing the Breakaway in the Haven in a few months. Our daughter knows how to act in public and is very respectful but if there was an instance where she wasn't I would want to be notified of it, take full responsibility and correct the situation.

In theory, I agree with you about punishing the adults....but, what would the punishment be?

If someone child intentionally did that splashing....I would take that child to the parent....and tell that parent to get his kid out of the pool because I wanted to use it.

Then again...I'd hate to go to war for a week.

The bottom line is that someone is paying...and NCL doesn't want to offend those who pay.

I do love the "peeing scenario".

I guess the good news is that I'm too cheap to book the haven....so I'll never have to worry about this. But if I did...and someone's kid was ruining it....I'd find a way to ruin their vacation too.

AGREED. This is exactly why we are cruising first part of May next year.. after Spring break and before Summer vacation = few if any kids. My kid is grown now - but even when he was little he towed the line. So yeah, other people's bratty kids DO bother me.. as much as I like Disney, I am prohibited from going because of my lack of desire to be around hundreds/thousands of kids :( I don't hate children, I just have become intolerant to badly behaved ones and they seem to be, sadly, the majority these days.

I am an NCL Junkie and I do not want to sail on any other line!!!!

I want NCL to step up to the plate and tell parents to keep their kids in line.

No spitting pool water at each other or haven guests, no cannon balls in the haven pool, no pushing into the narrow pool, no licking every cookie to find the right one!!!

Cherie

Doesn't NCL offer an adults only serenity area where kids are not allowed?

Yes, parents should ensure their kids are behaving, but kids having fun on a ship - laughing, playing, and being kids - is why they are on the ship, to have fun. If they paid for the Haven, then they are allowed to be in there.

I could bring up the infamous smoking argument where the smell blows to my balcony, and someone will say they paid to be on theirs. It is a crap shot at what you get when you cruise, but you can minimize your chances of a bad experience if you shape the environment. Other lines are more adult friendly overall. Perhaps you may feel more comfortable there. HAL, Princess, X, or some luxury liner that does not gear towards kids (free kids, family atmosphere, etc.)

Just my .02c.

Archived